wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2009 7:04:46 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
What is y'all's opinion on Kant?
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Should I read 1 of his works, which is the most important for me to read?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Clockwork
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2009 7:40:52 PM
Fundamental Principles on the Metaphysics of Morals is the one behind the ideas oh his you'll hear most often...

Being the hardcore debater that my position as debate captain requires, I've read quite a bit of philosophy and can testify that my eyes practically bled reading Kant, it was so boring and frustratingly useless. The Categorical Imperative is the only idea of his I have ever heard used in an LD round, despite the other interesting bits of reasoning within FPMM.

The basis behind the majority of Kantian ethics can be summed up in two main statements.

1. Humans should never be used as a means to an ends but only as an end unto themselves.

2. Actions are only valid if they could logically be part of a hypothetical universal legislature.

Save yourself some time and read something more interesting, maybe Nietzsche or someone with some more exotic or substantial reasoning.
Felonial Disenfranchisement: http://www.debate.org...
Poverty v. Environmental Protection: http://www.debate.org...
On God and Free Will: http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2009 8:32:24 PM
Western civilization, little boys, mind destroyed, etc, you know the drill.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2009 8:57:41 PM
Hmm, seems as if my post didn't show up :O.

I agree, Kant is probably one of the most boring philosophers to read - what a bland prose! But if you like or are interested in philosophy, then you should know that his influence is enormous.
LB628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2009 9:12:52 PM
His writing is very very boring, and very wordy. He takes a really long time to say anything.
But his ideas are fascinating. So read a summary.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 8:38:47 AM
Will I get the same experience by reading a summary?

I'm reading Marx. I've listened to too many summaries. I hope to actually get what is being spoken of rather than just the jist.
LB628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2009 6:23:29 PM
At 6/4/2009 8:39:47 AM, wjmelements wrote:
What of the Critique of Pure Reason?

Interesting certainly. But not about ethics if that is what you are looking for.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2009 8:05:28 AM
At 6/2/2009 7:40:52 PM, Clockwork wrote:
Fundamental Principles on the Metaphysics of Morals is the one behind the ideas oh his you'll hear most often...

Being the hardcore debater that my position as debate captain requires, I've read quite a bit of philosophy and can testify that my eyes practically bled reading Kant, it was so boring and frustratingly useless. The Categorical Imperative is the only idea of his I have ever heard used in an LD round, despite the other interesting bits of reasoning within FPMM.

The basis behind the majority of Kantian ethics can be summed up in two main statements.

1. Humans should never be used as a means to an ends but only as an end unto themselves.

2. Actions are only valid if they could logically be part of a hypothetical universal legislature.

Save yourself some time and read something more interesting, maybe Nietzsche or someone with some more exotic or substantial reasoning.

EXACTLY.
President of DDO
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2009 12:09:30 PM
At 6/11/2009 4:39:28 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
I would read his works myself but I kant.

That was punny.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2009 12:10:29 PM
At 6/7/2009 6:23:29 PM, LB628 wrote:
At 6/4/2009 8:39:47 AM, wjmelements wrote:
What of the Critique of Pure Reason?

Interesting certainly. But not about ethics if that is what you are looking for.

I'm going for philosophy and logic more than ethics, though you may consider the former to be ethics.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2009 11:09:07 PM
I'm going for philosophy and logic more than ethics, though you may consider the former to be ethics.

Going for philosophy more than ethics? Ethics is a part of philosophy, so...