Jump to topic:

Invisiblity and law

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 2:48:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is it rational to be law-abiding if you can become invisible?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 2:58:44 PM
At 1/26/2012 2:48:21 PM, Indophile wrote:

What's the only reason to respect the law?
And it will be true.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 2:59:12 PM
At 1/26/2012 2:49:21 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Why would it not be?

And it will be true.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:01:48 PM
At 1/26/2012 2:58:44 PM, Indophile wrote:

Morally it's the right thing to do.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:04:16 PM
At 1/26/2012 2:59:12 PM, Indophile wrote:

Why would it not be?

Because it is rational . . .
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:07:10 PM
At 1/26/2012 3:04:16 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/26/2012 2:59:12 PM, Indophile wrote:

Why would it not be?

Because it is rational . . .

It is rational for you NOW to respect the law as otherwise you'll be .... dealt with accordingly.

But if you are invisible...
And it will be true.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:19:04 PM

Yes.

Abiding laws is to maintain a functional relationship with society which, unless you're invisible because you're a ghost, you still need.

As a rational human being, perhaps you can make this distinction even if you no longer need them, given you can still sympathize or empathize with society's/humanity's interests.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:23:21 PM
At 1/26/2012 3:19:04 PM, Ren wrote:

Yes.

Abiding laws is to maintain a functional relationship with society which, unless you're invisible because you're a ghost, you still need.

So why do people commit crimes then? Do they not need a functional relationship with society, or are they devoid of it when they commit crimes?

As a rational human being, perhaps you can make this distinction even if you no longer need them, given you can still sympathize or empathize with society's/humanity's interests.

Criminals are not rational human beings then?
And it will be true.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:25:16 PM
At 1/26/2012 3:01:48 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Lolundergroundrailroadwasimmoral.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:36:22 PM
At 1/26/2012 3:25:16 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

to be fair, when i think of law-abiding citizen, I think of someone who doesn't commit aggression against another. Not someone who doesn't engage in prostitution and drugs for fun.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:37:12 PM
At 1/26/2012 3:36:22 PM, darkkermit wrote:

to be fair, when i think of law-abiding citizen, I think of someone who doesn't commit aggression against another. Not someone who doesn't engage in prostitution and drugs for fun.

Ah.
I tend to consider what, y'know, words mean.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:38:55 PM
How are we defining rational? If we define it in a sociopathic sense as the relentless pursuit of self interest to the utmost extent in a manner that avoids consequences then yes, it may become more rational. If we define it in a more moral universalistic sense then no.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:40:13 PM
At 1/26/2012 3:36:22 PM, darkkermit wrote:

To be honest, when I posted I was thinking stuff like murder and theft.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:41:14 PM
At 1/26/2012 3:38:55 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
How are we defining rational? If we define it in a sociopathic sense as the relentless pursuit of self interest to the utmost extent in a manner that avoids consequences then yes, it may become more rational. If we define it in a more moral universalistic sense then no.

I'm defining rational as Ragnar tends to define it, when he puts humans in a separate class from all other earthly things, living or otherwise.
And it will be true.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:45:30 PM
At 1/26/2012 3:41:14 PM, Indophile wrote:

I'm defining rational as Ragnar tends to define it, when he puts humans in a separate class from all other earthly things, living or otherwise.

Well then yes, it obviously does change the possibility of you getting caught. I would hardly call that conception "rational" though nor would I believe the mainstream philosophical community.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:56:15 PM
At 1/26/2012 3:23:21 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 1/26/2012 3:19:04 PM, Ren wrote:

Yes.

So why do people commit crimes then? Do they not need a functional relationship with society, or are they devoid of it when they commit crimes?

Depends on the crime. Regarding those that generate victims or live by taking resources without providing any in return, yes. They are parasites.

Criminals are not rational human beings then?

Not those described above, no.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 4:15:38 PM
I'm surprised that no one has brought up the fact that, when one is invisible, one's corneas also are, and, therefore, are incapable of capturing light. You would be blind.

This IS interesting, though...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 4:19:49 PM
At 1/26/2012 4:15:38 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
I'm surprised that no one has brought up the fact that, when one is invisible, one's corneas also are, and, therefore, are incapable of capturing light. You would be blind.

I have honestly never thought of that, LOL.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 4:29:15 PM

Interesting point, although perhaps one could somehow replicate the signals sent to the brain that give us an idea of what's around us and such.

On the topic as a whole, being invisible only helps you evade the law to a certain extent (read something like The Invisible Man by H.G.Wells) , so it's still in your interest to be law abiding. Also, heat sensors could detect an invisible person. Basically, if you have an interest in not going to jail then don't break the law even if invisible.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
days3331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 4:48:39 PM
It depends.

Is abiding laws harder than not following them? If it is, it would be completely irrational to be invisible and still following laws because the whole reason we fall in line is because we don't want to be caught. If you're invisible, there is no recognition involved and hence, no one can catch you for your crimes. So why would you go through the trouble of following laws when it's easier to not and get away with it?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 4:56:19 PM
No one seems to understand this: law =/= morality.

Many laws are unjust and don't coincide with morality. So if youre invisible, you don't need to follow the law, but you should still be moral.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 5:26:44 PM

Not necessarily at all.

He didn't stipulate that your body doesn't naturally interact with light, so I figured it was a perception-based question rather than an altered-reality question.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 5:30:52 PM
On this note, I've noticed a very strange phenomenon lately.

There are enormous things happening in the scientific world. Like, unimaginably enormous.

Due to our ignorant and greed-based global economy, we live in a state of ignorance. Human advancement is to the point that I think it's safe to say we've transcended the science fiction that continues to enamor us.

But, I've been trying to my hardest to keep up with this shtt, and it's left me in a general state of tentative wonderment. I mean, this shtt can't stay a secret forever. Nonetheless, when I reveal this information (whether here, Facebook, whatever), people are generally like "meh" and just continue their day-to-day as though nothing'd changed.

This is extremely confusing to me.

We have invisibility suits, we can create synthetic life, a 17 year old may have cured cancer and not only do replicators exist, they're becoming an industry.

Hello. Wtf.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 5:42:51 PM
At 1/26/2012 5:30:52 PM, Ren wrote:
On this note, I've noticed a very strange phenomenon lately.

There are enormous things happening in the scientific world. Like, unimaginably enormous.

Due to our ignorant and greed-based global economy, we live in a state of ignorance. Human advancement is to the point that I think it's safe to say we've transcended the science fiction that continues to enamor us.

But, I've been trying to my hardest to keep up with this shtt, and it's left me in a general state of tentative wonderment. I mean, this shtt can't stay a secret forever. Nonetheless, when I reveal this information (whether here, Facebook, whatever), people are generally like "meh" and just continue their day-to-day as though nothing'd changed.

This is extremely confusing to me.

We have invisibility suits, we can create synthetic life, a 17 year old may have cured cancer and not only do replicators exist, they're becoming an industry.

Hello. Wtf.

I'd like to see a separate thread on this; I don't want this one derailed.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 5:49:51 PM
Sneak up to a nun while she is alone, tell her that she has been chosen to birth a chosen child or something. Do naughty things to her, and see what happens in the future.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 6:37:17 PM

Humans are defined as rational animals, rational can't then be defined as humans. And by humans here I don't mean homo sapiens, I just mean rational animals. The fact that we can't find any non-homo-sapien rational animals on Earth doesn't make that an essential trait of rational animals, there could conceivably be rational animals somewhere else in reality of a different biological species and they would be "human" under this meaning.. Rationality (as opposed to nonrationality, not as opposed to irrationality which opposes a different meaning of rationality as optimal goal pursuit) is the ability to create and operate upon concepts.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 6:38:33 PM
At 1/26/2012 4:56:19 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
No one seems to understand this: law =/= morality.

Someone hasn't read the thread if they claim no one seems to understand it.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 6:50:51 PM
At 1/26/2012 6:37:17 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Humans are defined as rational animals, rational can't then be defined as humans. And by humans here I don't mean homo sapiens, I just mean rational animals. The fact that we can't find any non-homo-sapien rational animals on Earth doesn't make that an essential trait of rational animals, there could conceivably be rational animals somewhere else in reality of a different biological species and they would be "human" under this meaning.. Rationality (as opposed to nonrationality, not as opposed to irrationality which opposes a different meaning of rationality as optimal goal pursuit) is the ability to create and operate upon concepts.

I believe I mentioned "earthly" in there somewhere.

The fact that we can't find any non-homo-sapien rational animals on Earth would mean that rational can be defined as humans :)
And it will be true.