Jump to topic:

Cannabis and Canada

feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2009 1:57:00 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Hi, this is for Volkov, misterkurtz and any other Canadians, or anyone else for that matter who might know or have an opinion on this.

I have heard that Canada in general and Vancouver in particular is pretty lenient on herbs?

So is it true? Do they respect the reefer? Are they pro pot?

And if so, is this a good or a bad thing?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2009 12:12:30 PM
Well, Vancouver-area is pretty well known for its support of marijuana. I think most urban centers (Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, etc.) have large pot activist groups. British Columbia once had the Marijuana Party gain about 3% of the popular vote in an election. The federal Marijuana Party used to be really interesting, but they've become a little pointless and radicalized. There is a lot of opposition to it as well though.

But there is a lot of people that are pro-pot and "respect the reefer". Personally, I think all drugs are abhorrent and a waste of someone's life, but because pot is a petty minor drug, and because there is a lot of organized crime attached to the sale of pot, I think decriminalization of small amounts would be beneficial. I would not go as far as to promote it, and I would do everything possible to deter people from using it.

If you're interested in some official drug policy, I invite you to watch two videos interviewing Dr. Keith Martin, who is a current Liberal MP representing a British Columbia riding. This gives a general sense of my views on the issue (Dr. Martin is the one I've learned from on these issues), what the aims of simple decriminalization can do, how to handle addictions, etc.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 3:33:28 PM
Thanks for that Volk.

So, forgive my ignorance but do different areas of Canada have slightly different laws the same way different US states do or like Scotland and NI do from England and Wales?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 4:20:24 PM
I think it is one law across the country, because it appears to be a federal matter, not a provincial. That being said, I don't really know. The laws I've seen though don't change from Ontario to British Columbia, etc.