Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

Music and Society

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2012 4:55:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm very disturbed by the music the next generation is and will be listening too...

If we look at the last 50 or 60 years, we can see iconic musicians and bands, musicians and bands we now regard as legends, who were surrounded by controversy: Elvis, The Doors, Madonna, Prince, The Rolling Stones, Ozzy Osbourne, Alice Cooper, Marilyn Manson, Enimem, NWA, The Sex Pistols, just to name a few.

And not just individual musicians; the very genres of these artists were controversial. Rock & Roll in general, Punk Rock, Heavy Metal, R'n'B and Hip Hop, even some 'Pop' music, have all been considered adverse to the fabric of a good society.

Now, some of these artists are still active and all of these genres too, still have new music; good quality music, being produced for them. But they've all lost their edge. Some fringe groups of fanatics may still kick up a stink about them, but it's almost as though they've got no target to aim their confused vitriol at.

I'm not exactly an expert on what's hot and what's not with commercial music these days, but our pop stations seem to play either soft rock, hip-hop/r'n'b or dance music of wildly varying quality, such is the state of pop music in 2012.

I assert that todays youth have been robbed of a fresh icon for their generation. Who have they got? Lady fvcking Gaga? Sure, she wears interesting clothes, but her music is not controversial. Katy Perry STARTED out controversial, kissing girls and liking it but the industry got their claws into her and now her poppy music is just as vapid as the rest.

Not to say that each generation has had their share of parent-approved artists, because they have (hell, I grew up in the 90, argh) but there was always someone with their middle finger in the air, biting the heads off bats and masturbating into the audience. It seems like we've stagnated; we have the wonderful history of the past and bands carrying traditions on, but no new icon blasting out of anonymity to piss off the do-gooders of the world.

Am I wrong about this? Who does this generation have?
Does anyone else think we going backwards, getting less progressive and most politically correct?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life:
6 years of DDO:
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2012 11:04:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I say, look up Odd Future. They seemed to have stirred up plenty of controversy. They haven't quite hit superstardom status yet, but they're pretty popular. They just got their own tv show and a deal with def jam.

And then you have M.I.A. who has probably gotten slightly less controversial over the years, but the FBI thought she was a potential terrorist. That's pretty controversial, right? But then, still not quite as mainstream as Gaga.

But yeah, I would say with the mainstream music scene as it is now, I've noticed more and more parents being into the same music their kids are into (lady gaga, katy perry, beyonce, etc.) So, there definitely seems to be a lot less risk in mainstream pop music at the moment. Not just in the content, but musically too. Essentially the music industry has gotten more and more money oriented, so the less risk the better.

I say we destroy the music industry.

But, I will add that there is plenty of music being made in the indie/underground/whatever scene that is pretty good. Definitely a lot more risk taking. So, there's always hope.