Jump to topic:

Are Homosexuals Out to Dominate Us All?

charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 7:53:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Are gays insidious immoralists who are blatantly bent on destructing the socially-undergirding ethos and mores of Western civilization by detonating a cultural H-bomb – "H" in this case standing not for hydrogen but rather for homosexual acceptance? That is, does the tolerance & equality-promoting agenda of LGBT activists ultimately aim at creating a post-heterosexual society in which non-straights enjoy a privileged and socially-dominant status that allows them to impose their "lifestyle" on everyone else?

Well, of course this is just fundamentalist folderol and rightist rubbish. Of course there's no grand conspiratorial agenda aiming at establishing a repressive homosexual hegemony. I'll state this up front and a priorily because I don't intend to dignify such wingnutty fears by running down all the various the facts that refute them. What I'm more interested in is the roots of the conservative canard that gays are out to subvert and take over our culture. Indeed, why is it that it's such a prevalent notion and anxiety on the right that homosexuals are trying to dominate the rest of us?

Certainly card-carrying Christianists and conservatives subscribe to and explicitly express such gay-bashing bunk about LGBTers aspiring to culturally conquer the world. And certainly we've all heard this same homophobic humbug voiced by friends and co-workers in the form of the following comment: "What I don't like is the way gays try to shove their lifestyle on us, the way they get in our face with it". The belief that them there deviants want to dominate is out there and all too widely held. But why?

Is it just simply homophobia? Isn't that perhaps all there is to it? No doubt homophobia is one large causal component in the makeup of the mental distress suffered by traditional values types concerning homosexuality in general, and concerning the threat of a homosexual cultural takeover in particular. But it also seems fairly obvious that there's a bit more going on in the psyches of folks who feel that gays are forcing their abnormality on us all.

For one thing, insecurity. And no, I do not mean insecurity about one's own heterosexuality. Let's not be so crass. Rather, I mean a more generalized, underlying insecure concern that others are trying to force their opinions and will upon us. Many people simply suffer from such an inner insecurity and defensiveness that's piqued when confronted with the strength of conviction and political assertiveness of someone on the opposite of an issue. And of course such inner insecurity and defensiveness is also subject to being piqued by the activism and "stridency" of some in the gay community.

What I'll call the insecure response, however, is not very self-honest. That is, it produces rationalization rather than self-criticism. When individuals experience this response they usually externalize it and blame homosexuals for provoking it. They put an interpretation on it in which gays are portrayed as pushing their "perversion" on straight society. In this self-deceptive interpretation the discomfort that a straight person feels isn't a product of his/her own insecurity, it's just a reasonable reaction to the excessive overtness of "flamboyant gays". This in turn feeds into one's resentment and hostility regarding homosexuals, sometimes producing a staunchly anti-gay attitude based on nothing more than the aggravation of one's personal insecurity issues.

Which is all to say that it's not so much anything about homosexuality per se that causes some homophobes to experience the illusory sense of being under siege by out-of-the-closet gays and their political efforts to gain equal rights, it's the homophobe's own weak ego spinning things so that homosexuals become aggressive, overweening, and threatening opponents.

Let go a bit deeper now. Such ego weakness, i.e. the type of insecurity that makes individuals excessively sensitive to having the values & views of others foisted upon them, can of course be due to a combination of factors. But one that stands out, especially in the case of anti-gay conservatives, is a social dominance-oriented mentality. Now then, having a social dominance-oriented mentality doesn't always mean what you might think, it doesn't always mean having a domineering personality; it simply means having a mind-set that's fundamentally oriented toward thinking in terms of strength and weakness, being successful or being a loser, superiority and inferiority, and of course dominance and deference.

And naturally of course such a mentality also tends to make one overly keen about one's own dominance status and about not being dominated by others. Keen to the point of insecurity. Insecurity about even such things as someone with a differing point of view or sexual orientation being too assertive in expressing it. Mm-hmm, an individual with a distinct dominance-oriented streak in his/her psyche will in fact be quite prone to interpreting the opinionatedness or passion or colorfulness of others as militancy and as their attempt to subject him/her to whatever they happen to represent.

Sorry conservatives, but at the core of your cognitive constitution is precisely this social dominance orientation and the insecurity it conduces to. And this most certainly goes a long way toward explaining the conservative's subjective feeling that "liberals" and gays are trying to press their "agenda" on society. Add to this the fact that people with a pronounced dominance-oriented mentality tend to engage in projection, i.e. tend to attribute their own domineering tendencies to their opponents, and it's no wonder that conservatives experience progressives and homosexuals as arrogantly bent on cultural hegemony.

In the case of some extreme right-wing individuals such fear of being subject to the dominance of gays & progressives takes on almost clinical proportions, becomes downright paranoid. For example, we find this to be the obvious case with Anders Breivik, whose anti-left, anti-Muslim psyche last year went off the paranoid deep end and perpetrated mass murder in Norway. Clearly he is someone whose politics mask profound personal, psychological issues and a need to assert his power & dominance. But although Mr. Breivik is a rather heinous example, although most conservatives aren't quite so far gone, they nonetheless share his basic mental orientation.

To summarize and recap, in criminology we find the term "power-dominance rapist"; well, I would go so far as to suggest that a similar term, power-dominance rightist, would aptly apply to the typical conservative (although I suppose it's a tad redundant). The power-dominance rightist has an unconscious guardedness and insecurity about being dominated by others, particularly progressives, and a tendency to ascribe his/her own power-dominance orientation to others, which makes him/her subjectively interpret the irrepressible openness of some gays and the zeal of some on the left for creating a more just society as domineering and despotic. This conservative interpretation of the behavior of homosexuals and leftists is of course entirely grounded in psychology and not at all in facts. Moreover, when power-dominance rightists succumb to the easily enraged emotivity of their orientation they can become atrocity-perpetrators, à la Anders Breivik or the individuals in this country who commit hate crimes against Arabs or abortion doctors or gays. Beware the power-dominance rightist, beware the conservative mentality.

Are any conservatives or anti-gay types an exception to this rule? Well, some may fit the analysis given in this post better than others, but there's a bit of the poignantly insecure power-dominance rightist in anyone who thinks that homosexuals, who in reality merely desire all of the civil rights accorded to straights, are out to coercively force us all into embracing same-sex love.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 8:17:36 PM
Btw, anyone who responds to this post by speculating that I must be gay only outs his own homophobic mentality.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 8:28:04 PM
Soooo, you're trying to tell us that you're gay?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 8:29:39 PM
That was a joke. The answer to your question is, no, homosexuals aren't trying to dominate us... unless of course you're in to that sort of thing ;)

Get it? You know, as in "dominatrix..."?

*crickets chirping*

Wow.... tough crowd....
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:05:40 PM
Certain homosexuals are out to dominate me, if you catch my drift.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:06:20 PM
At 2/7/2012 9:05:40 PM, thett3 wrote:
Certain homosexuals are out to dominate me, if you catch my drift.:

Oh, stop playing hard to get ;)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:14:10 PM
The best part is imagining the rage of Charles when he sees these asinine comments detracting from his very serious message. :)

Keep fapping the good fap, bro.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:15:26 PM
I'm not gay!

...but my boyfriend is
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:17:18 PM
At 2/7/2012 9:15:26 PM, thett3 wrote:
I'm not gay!

...but my boyfriend is:

As an old Navy vet, we have an adage on the nature of homosexuality.

"It's not gay when you're underway, it's only queer when you're at the pier."
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:18:20 PM
At 2/7/2012 9:17:37 PM, Koopin wrote:
I'm not gay!

...but my boyfriend is

Pics?:

Yeah, I concur... Pics or GTFO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:18:35 PM
At 2/7/2012 9:17:18 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I'm not gay!

...but my boyfriend is:

As an old Navy vet, we have an adage on the nature of homosexuality.

"It's not gay when you're underway, it's only queer when you're at the pier."

I like it!!

Serious question, when DADT was a policy, was it generally enforced, or did the commanders turn a blind eye?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:19:29 PM
At 2/7/2012 8:29:39 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
That was a joke. The answer to your question is, no, homosexuals aren't trying to dominate us... unless of course you're in to that sort of thing ;)

Get it? You know, as in "dominatrix..."?

*crickets chirping*

Wow.... tough crowd....

I always appreciate a sense of humor in my fellow man, provided it's genuinely witty and not used to malign or marginalize someone or his point of view, that is.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:19:38 PM
At 2/7/2012 9:18:20 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I'm not gay!

...but my boyfriend is

Pics?:

He's right here:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:22:28 PM
At 2/7/2012 9:19:38 PM, thett3 wrote:
I'm not gay!

...but my boyfriend is

Pics?:

He's right here:

Although I also have a thing with this sexy beast: http://www.wideawakeinwonderland.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:23:05 PM
Serious question, when DADT was a policy, was it generally enforced, or did the commanders turn a blind eye?:

I think it depended on the command you were at. I've heard some stories of witch hunts when it came to the Command trying to out people to get them kicked out. Never witnessed it firsthand.

At my last Command, we had one very obvious homosexual. Everybody knew but nobody cared, including the Commanding Officer. Did they know for sure he was gay, I don't know, but I thought he was pretty obvious.

He finally was comfortable outwardly saying it to his immediate crew, knowing that we accepted him and wouldn't betray him. This was before the repeal of DADT.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:23:44 PM
I'm not gay!

...but my boyfriend is

Pics?:

He's right here:

Come now, children, can your minds muster an actual reply to the OP?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:24:00 PM
Although I also have a thing with this sexy beast: http://www.wideawakeinwonderland.com...:

I pretty much lol'd
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:24:48 PM
At 2/7/2012 9:23:44 PM, charleslb wrote:
I'm not gay!

...but my boyfriend is

Pics?:

He's right here:

Nope. next question.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:26:14 PM
Come now, children, can your minds muster an actual reply to the OP?:

I don't think anyone here that has posted thus far would even remotely agree that homosexuals are out to dominate us. That kind of quackery is reserved for a very special class of Grade-A @ssholes.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:28:44 PM

I did not read it, just the title.
kfc
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:50:46 PM
No, just our children.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 11:06:16 PM
At 2/7/2012 9:26:14 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I don't think anyone here that has posted thus far would even remotely agree that homosexuals are out to dominate us. That kind of quackery is reserved for a very special class of Grade-A @ssholes.

At 2/7/2012 9:50:46 PM, sadolite wrote:
No, just our children.

Wow, it's like Paradigm is psychic.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 10:01:28 AM
At 2/7/2012 8:17:36 PM, charleslb wrote:
Btw, anyone who responds to this post by speculating that I must be gay only outs his own homophobic mentality.

The Fool: lets talk about it ;)

Firstly Homophobic is a perjoritic slander, its pretty straight forward that the last thing which is frighting is an if. Phobia is fear to the form of a mental illness. Obviously it is meant to be condescending. I am sure that doesn't help you cause. It probably hearts you cause.

I am an extreme anti-fundementalist. I think it is a plaque on humanity. its is silly that people speak of morality in reference to homosexuals. There is not a moral issue. Its much more accepted up here. CDN. But to be Fundementalist back is just another wrong. Hate is hate, minority or not. Alot of minority groups get away with way to much, I am black. But it pains my ears when I hear black people being even more racist as if its justified. And its suck for gay men because the get all the pressure. Because men are harder on men then they are of woman, and woman are harder on me. So its a double wammie.

Lesbians are like looking for attention "hey were lesbian!".. who cares. Hey were bad too.' who cares, "we drive motorcycles' who cares 'we have says' that great.

Fundemtalism is fundemtalism, Its non negociable, cant be reason with, hard to get rid off, because there is nothing existing for its bases to proof wrong. If we could get rid of that I think must of the world problems will melt away. Almost every problem there is is based of someform of non-sense based claim.

As a hetrosexual I am confused why other men gay men. I mean its all the more woman for us!!.. lol.. So I support gays all the way.!! ;)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 1:20:13 PM
At 2/8/2012 10:01:28 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 2/7/2012 8:17:36 PM, charleslb wrote:

The Fool: lets talk about it ;)

Firstly Homophobic is a perjoritic slander, its pretty straight forward that the last thing which is frighting is an if. Phobia is fear to the form of a mental illness. Obviously it is meant to be condescending. I am sure that doesn't help you cause. It probably hearts you cause.

I am an extreme anti-fundementalist. I think it is a plaque on humanity. its is silly that people speak of morality in reference to homosexuals. There is not a moral issue. Its much more accepted up here. CDN. But to be Fundementalist back is just another wrong. Hate is hate, minority or not. Alot of minority groups get away with way to much, I am black. But it pains my ears when I hear black people being even more racist as if its justified. And its suck for gay men because the get all the pressure. Because men are harder on men then they are of woman, and woman are harder on me. So its a double wammie.

Lesbians are like looking for attention "hey were lesbian!".. who cares. Hey were bad too.' who cares, "we drive motorcycles' who cares 'we have says' that great.

Fundemtalism is fundemtalism, Its non negociable, cant be reason with, hard to get rid off, because there is nothing existing for its bases to proof wrong. If we could get rid of that I think must of the world problems will melt away. Almost every problem there is is based of someform of non-sense based claim.

As a hetrosexual I am confused why other men gay men. I mean its all the more woman for us!!.. lol.. So I support gays all the way.!! ;)

This... is incredible. My favourite parts;

It probably hearts you cause

I think it is a plaque on humanity.

And its suck for gay men

Because men are harder on men then they are of woman, and woman are harder on me.

Lesbians are like looking for attention

I am confused why other men gay men.
Chthonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 6:39:08 PM
Interesting post, Charles.

I have a somewhat different take on this issue.

From my perspective, the underlying problem with homosexuality in the mind of conservatives is that it is immoral and thus it should not be accepted. Conservatives also embrace tradition and crave stability, so homosexual behavior---or any overt sexuality for that matter, destroys the fabric of the cultural norms that they feel guide our society in a positive direction; what Christian folk call licentiousness.

In my opinion, most conservatives "fight" against homosexuality because frankly they believe it to just be wrong. Their motivation doesn't have to stem from an insecurity of others imposing their will nor does it have to reflect their own dominant-oriented mentality. It is a about a value system that they feel compelled to uphold. And whether it is a fair or logical position to have, it is one that represents how conservatives think things ought to be.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 6:50:02 PM
At 2/7/2012 9:28:44 PM, Koopin wrote:

I did not read it, just the title.

I would suggest that you actually read the OP before leaving any more feedback in the thread. Unless you're afraid that you won't be able to answer what you might find to be the more troubling points of my critical analysis of the conservative anti-gay mentality?
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 7:06:33 PM
At 2/7/2012 9:24:48 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I'm not gay!

...but my boyfriend is

Pics?:

He's right here:

Nope. next question.

As a young "conservative" you might wish to critique my critique of the conservative anti-gay mentality, but as you prefer to evade this intellectual chore and challenge by instead participating in turning the thread into a frivolous conversation I'll take it that you simply lack the forensic skill, as it were, to produce an argument in defense of your political camp's psychologically-determined stance on homosexual equality. If you're an example of the caliber of the new generation of conservatives coming up, well, ...