Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

What do you prefer, nature or technology?

buelg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 12:53:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hm, if you choose technology, you will have to harm the nature, but if you choose nature, the technology wouldn't develop. But I will rather develop technology fast and then try to protect the nature with the technology.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 1:13:24 AM
At 2/8/2012 12:53:10 AM, buelg wrote:
Hm, if you choose technology, you will have to harm the nature, but if you choose nature, the technology wouldn't develop. But I will rather develop technology fast and then try to protect the nature with the technology.

I don't see how the two are mutually exclusive.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
buelg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 1:27:07 AM
At 2/8/2012 1:13:24 AM, MarquisX wrote:

I don't see how the two are mutually exclusive.

I apologize if I said a wrong thing in your oppinion. (By the way, I'm not trying to give a sarcastic twist to your words, I mean, really sorry ok?)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 1:28:40 AM
Asking on an internet forum whether someone prefers nature or technology

---Not sure if stupid or trolling.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 8:16:33 PM
its a false dichotomy. .
if we are from nature, we are nature,, anything we do will be nature.. even if the worlds blows up.. it will be natural. There is not real distinction.. if we are gone or werent here it could be some other species doing the same. Would you say its not natural then?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 9:19:06 PM
Ahhhh, take me back to the old school days anytime. Technology sucks more than it helps. Id be happy if technology stopped progressing just before the home computer was invented. We had all the conveniences that made life comfortable and easy without all the drama.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 9:24:34 PM
At 2/8/2012 9:19:06 PM, sadolite wrote:
Ahhhh, take me back to the old school days anytime. Technology sucks more than it helps. Id be happy if technology stopped progressing just before the home computer was invented. We had all the conveniences that made life comfortable and easy without all the drama.

.....I doubt your old enough to remember those real olden days, before tech.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 9:27:39 PM

lol. those days are still here.. we have lots of Amish in Canada. .go live with that. it your choice to use it. but I doubt you grasp the scope of what technology its. its pretty much any advancement.. just have a house or fire is a tech upgrade. e.g. the Roman arches. boats.. any upgrade in ideas.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 10:51:13 PM
At 2/8/2012 9:24:34 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Um born 1964. Family didn't have a color tv till I was 8 years old, house didn't have AC. I didn't say the stone age, I said just before the home computer was invented.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 11:00:02 PM
At 2/8/2012 9:27:39 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

lol. those days are still here.. we have lots of Amish in Canada. .go live with that. it your choice to use it. but I doubt you grasp the scope of what technology its. its pretty much any advancement.. just have a house or fire is a tech upgrade. e.g. the Roman arches. boats.. any upgrade in ideas.

Why would be becoming Amish change anything. It is not my choice to use it. I have to do many things that I don't like because of technology. My biggest beef is being forced to use auto withdrawal from my checking account to pay homeowners insurance and other such related things. I have to have my SS# streaming all over the Internet because of technology. My bank accounts and identity are under constant threat of being hijacked and stolen. I have no choice but to purchase Identity theft protection as I have had it happen before. There are hundreds of thing that technology forces me to do even the Amish are not immune. Don't be so naive.

Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 11:01:53 PM

That's non-sequitur. You can't try to protect something that you first destroy.

I know technology seems cool and all, but trust me, if it requires the destruction of nature, it simply isn't worth it.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 9:08:38 AM
At 2/8/2012 10:51:13 PM, sadolite wrote:

Um born 1964. Family didn't have a color tv till I was 8 years old, house didn't have AC. I didn't say the stone age, I said just before the home computer was invented.

Can you give me the bad side of technology, and explain to me how that trumps the good side?

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 9:13:47 AM
At 2/9/2012 9:08:38 AM, OberHerr wrote:

Can you give me the bad side of technology, and explain to me how that trumps the good side?

Technology itself cannot be bad, since it is only a tool. That's like saying that a hammer is bad. It all depends on how it is used that makes it good or bad, not what it is.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 10:56:26 PM
This is like asking me if I prefer food or water.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 7:34:37 PM

Do you realize what you just said? Protect the nature with technology? That's like hiring a child molestor to protect your children's safety from strangers. It's like electing Ronald Reagan and watching him put corporate interests in charge of every public sector environmental position.

Last I checked, technology was the only thing nature needed protection from. Even with our population at the size it is now, we still could be living perfectly sustainably if we ditched the technological adaptations.
Rob
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 11:57:20 PM

Did you read my last post?

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 12:05:58 AM
At 2/15/2012 11:57:20 PM, sadolite wrote:

Nobody is forcing you to use the technology......If you wish for a simpler lifestyle, then have a simpler lifestyle.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 5:14:22 PM
At 2/16/2012 12:05:58 AM, darkkermit wrote:

Nobody is forcing you to use the technology......If you wish for a simpler lifestyle, then have a simpler lifestyle.

Sure, I'll just live on a piece of land (and get shot at and arrested) and sit around growing my own plants for food and smoking weed (and get arrested) and not pay any taxes (and get arrested) and enjoy the fruits of the land that society is using and polluting and degrading. Maybe I'll hunt some of those buffalo I see grazing all over the place...
Rob
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 11:24:39 AM
I can remember before there was television; we got a TV when I was ten. My Dad had to get up in the middle of the night to shovel coal into the furnace. There were a few houses in town that didn't have indoor plumbing. Long distance phone calls were too expensive to be practical beyond a three minute call.

Overall, I think the benefits of technology far outweigh the disadvantages. A major disadvantage is coping with the complexity of so many gadgets. I think we are in a time of transition where ultimately technology will be used to restore simplicity. Eventually, software on your computer will fight the software on the bank's computer, or whatever, without you having to be much involved beyond telling your computer what the goal is.

An example is arranging a trip. In the old days, you would call up a travel agent and say what you wanted in general, and the agent would work out the details. Now, it's an hour or more with Kayak pounding out the details. With the modern method it's possible to get closer to exactly what you want, but it's a hassle. In principle, software on your computer could learn all your particular preferences and work out the details for you. It would know, for example, how much convenience you are willing to sacrifice for price.

In other areas, technology is a clear winner. there is no question that the internet is better than an encyclopedia. Microwave ovens, air conditioners, and digital cameras are clear winners.

I don't think it's a question of technology versus nature. It's a question of getting technology to suit your needs.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 8:33:59 PM
At 2/16/2012 12:05:58 AM, darkkermit wrote:

Um, I live the same life style I always have, It is technology that is interfearing and making it more difficult, not the other way around. I was here first.

Utopian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 12:39:10 AM
I could never live a life without indoor plumbing, electricity, and central heat and air.
I would NEVER go camping. Ever. Not even if you paid me.
Bugs. Ick.
The closest I get to nature is watching the TV show "The River".
At least those bugs are telepathic.

So, even though the question is a bit vague and generic, for just about any example I can think of where I would choose between nature and technology, I'd pick technology.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 8:18:29 PM
At 3/20/2012 12:39:10 AM, Utopian wrote:
I could never live a life without indoor plumbing, electricity, and central heat and air.
Bugs. Ick.

So, even though the question is a bit vague and generic, for just about any example I can think of where I would choose between nature and technology, I'd pick technology.

indoor plumbing, electricity, and central heat and air.

I don't consider any of these things as "technology" in the context of this thread.
These things are Industrial revolution stuff. They are mechanical. Technology to me started with the "diode and the printed circuit"

I would be happy without all the "technology" constantly mucking everything up. But that is not to say I won't use it. But if I lost it I would not care.

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 6:18:12 PM
Humans and their technology are a part of nature. Little parts of nature are always destroying each other. Nothing unnatural about it. The universe don't give a fuck about what we do.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 6:23:07 PM
At 3/20/2012 8:18:29 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/20/2012 12:39:10 AM, Utopian wrote:
Bugs. Ick.

indoor plumbing, electricity, and central heat and air.

I don't consider any of these things as "technology" in the context of this thread.
These things are Industrial revolution stuff. They are mechanical. Technology to me started with the "diode and the printed circuit"

I would be happy without all the "technology" constantly mucking everything up. But that is not to say I won't use it. But if I lost it I would not care.

Yeah.....could you name when it "mucks" things up?

And, trust me, you would not be happy with Industrial Era heating, electricity, and plumbing.