Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

united

buelg
Posts: 79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 3:26:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
should south korea and north korea get united? They are almost the last ( or the last, I'm not sure ) to get united, but still, south kroea lives way more than north korea, so it will talke a lot of money for us. Please think about the existence of democracy ( south ), or communism ( north ).
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 3:29:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Like that will happen. North Korea is a communist dictatorship while South Korea is a market-based economy. South Korea has good standard of living, while North Korea has massive famines.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 9:32:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
If they North Koreans have a revolution, and then after they overthrow communism, they decide to become democratic then yes.

Basically, the only way they should get united is if NK's current government is replaced by SK's current one, and NOT the other way around.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 9:36:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
No then you get 25 million starving people that are uneducated and in school they only sing about the great leader. So they will sing well, but that would not benifit the south. It will hurt you... 25 million starving people = bad.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 9:36:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/20/2012 9:32:53 AM, OberHerr wrote:
If they North Koreans have a revolution, and then after they overthrow communism, they decide to become democratic then yes.

Basically, the only way they should get united is if NK's current government is replaced by SK's current one, and NOT the other way around.

Their to uneducated and scared to rebel.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 9:39:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/20/2012 9:36:59 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/20/2012 9:32:53 AM, OberHerr wrote:
If they North Koreans have a revolution, and then after they overthrow communism, they decide to become democratic then yes.

Basically, the only way they should get united is if NK's current government is replaced by SK's current one, and NOT the other way around.

Their to uneducated and scared to rebel.

Will then, maybe we should help them out a little bit.....would be funny to see our army literally crush the NK army, that is made up of WWII equipment.

And, TBH, we do not know what the NK people are. For all we know, there could be a huge underground rebel network.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 9:46:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
More cheap labor, one less pending war and 30,000 fewer U.S. troops stationed abroad...I'm down.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 9:53:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
If the question is if it's likely, hell no. NK isn't giving up power anytime soon, not voluntarily at least. The only way that could happen is with military action and I don't exactly see the US stepping in and uniting them as at all pertinent.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 9:59:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's possible... the fact is that it is doable, so long as the South Koreans understand and are willing to suffer a bit in terms of stretching their employment, education, and social services to an extra 25 million people. And it would need to be a complete extension, because whatever's left in the North is useless.

However, what would be best is if North Korea deposed of its leaders (political and military), which is a very hard thing to do; installed a, if not democratically-elected leader, then at least a leader who is willing to strengthen domestic infrastructure for the people, and open up normalized relations with South Korea, Japan, and the US.

If they have all that, but instead grow closer to China, that's a bigger problem. It's not that I think the West is just so holy and good, but the fact is that the Chinese don't really care what happens, so long as NKers stay in NK, and they can keep their sphere of influence intact. At least if North Korea grows closer to SK, Japan, and the West, they're infinitely more likely to get positive reinforcement for change and, of course, for unification, than they would if China were their main support (sort of as they are now).

But the likelihood of a revolution in North Korea is very low. Even with the death of Kim Jong-Il. So this is all speculation.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 10:36:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think North Korea is sustained by the Chinese because a collapse of the authoritarian regime would send millions of refugees into China. Without Chinese support, North Korea would quickly collapse. Revolution is unlikely in North Korea because the state has complete control of education and the media, and the people believe that Dear Leader is the only thing that keeps their paradise safe from invasion by foreign aggressors. It takes remarkable isolation to preserve that story.

It seems to me that the most practical route to freeing North Korea would be for the Chinese to set up a puppet regime that gradually allows the economy to improve and to allow the infusion of modern communications like the internet. That's probably not going to happen, but it is worth pursuing as a policy. More likely, the North Korean military will take over and allow some practical improvements. the ruling elite benefits from an improved economy, so that is an incentive.

The economy of West Germany took quite a hit when it absorbed East Germany. Someone said, "The most amazing of achievement of communism was to make bad workers out of Germans." It would probably take two or three decades for South Korea to restore the North to reasonable prosperity. Ultimately that has to happen.
buelg
Posts: 79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 10:44:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/20/2012 9:53:41 AM, socialpinko wrote:
If the question is if it's likely, hell no. NK isn't giving up power anytime soon, not voluntarily at least. The only way that could happen is with military action and I don't exactly see the US stepping in and uniting them as at all pertinent.

You know, if the NK is going to attack, SK can't do anything but fight back because they are losing in military development, but the NK can't attack because if they do, the US will crush them anyway to prevent communism from spreading.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 7:18:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/20/2012 10:44:13 PM, buelg wrote:
At 2/20/2012 9:53:41 AM, socialpinko wrote:
If the question is if it's likely, hell no. NK isn't giving up power anytime soon, not voluntarily at least. The only way that could happen is with military action and I don't exactly see the US stepping in and uniting them as at all pertinent.

You know, if the NK is going to attack, SK can't do anything but fight back because they are losing in military development, but the NK can't attack because if they do, the US will crush them anyway to prevent communism from spreading.

I'm not sure if it's necessarily as much to stop communism from spreading as it is...actually I'm not sure what we get out of our relationship with South Korea anymore, an ally in Asia against China maybe?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler