Jump to topic:

Don't Blame Facebook, Blame Yourself

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 3:17:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Facebook itself is not bad. It's you and the people you surround yourself with or choose to befriend. It doesn't encourage a certain type of behavior, people make the choice to abuse the excellent communication medium. People complain about narcissism and drama and nonsense, but don't blame Facebook, blame yourself.

Facebook can be a live shared journal, it can be a philosophy forum, it can be a political awareness medium, a news source, a way to connect with old friends, an expedient way to keep in touch with people rather than texting/calling 100 people.

This is a fact. Quit trying to find scapegoats.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 3:47:04 PM
At 2/21/2012 3:17:31 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Facebook itself is not bad. It's you and the people you surround yourself with or choose to befriend. It doesn't encourage a certain type of behavior, people make the choice to abuse the excellent communication medium. People complain about narcissism and drama and nonsense, but don't blame Facebook, blame yourself.

Facebook can be a live shared journal, it can be a philosophy forum, it can be a political awareness medium, a news source, a way to connect with old friends, an expedient way to keep in touch with people rather than texting/calling 100 people.

Were you being serious ? Facebook sucks.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 3:57:37 PM
At 2/21/2012 3:47:04 PM, inferno wrote:

Is that because you haven't got any friends on it?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 3:58:50 PM

All of this.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 4:30:24 PM
I concur. The only people against facebook are the overprotective, overbearing mothers and those who, unfortunately, are only friends with the fake accounts they made.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 5:56:07 PM

THANK YOU! I got into a big argument on this site for saying these exact words.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 6:02:33 PM
At 2/21/2012 4:30:24 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
I concur. The only people against facebook are the overprotective, overbearing mothers and those who, unfortunately, are only friends with the fake accounts they made.

My mom has real fb freinds...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 6:03:38 PM
At 2/21/2012 4:30:24 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
I concur. The only people against facebook are the overprotective, overbearing mothers
My overprotective and overbearing mother more or less ordered me to have a facebook :P
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 6:05:17 PM
Actually facebook is a tool of the global fascist new world order dictatorship to enslave us.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 6:38:10 PM
The OP is correct for the most part, but there is something to be said for our newfound lack of F2F communication in this modern world of cellphones and FB. People still in school probably don't notice it as much, but people after graduating find themselvese particularly isolated from others in their own neighborhoods. When I was little, people used to just "stop by" unannounced to hang out and socialize. That practice is all but dead now, and it's kind of sad.
Rob
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 9:00:56 PM
At 2/21/2012 6:38:10 PM, Lasagna wrote:
The OP is correct for the most part, but there is something to be said for our newfound lack of F2F communication in this modern world of cellphones and FB. People still in school probably don't notice it as much, but people after graduating find themselvese particularly isolated from others in their own neighborhoods. When I was little, people used to just "stop by" unannounced to hang out and socialize. That practice is all but dead now, and it's kind of sad.

It happens pretty much everyday where I live.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 9:12:27 PM

I'm fairly sure I agree with you, but just to check, what exactly is it you say people blame Facebook for?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 8:28:32 AM

Is that because you haven't got any friends on it?:

This is pretty much a win... not to mention deadly accurate ^_^
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 8:46:09 AM
The OP is correct for the most part, but there is something to be said for our newfound lack of F2F communication in this modern world of cellphones and FB. People still in school probably don't notice it as much, but people after graduating find themselvese particularly isolated from others in their own neighborhoods. When I was little, people used to just "stop by" unannounced to hang out and socialize. That practice is all but dead now, and it's kind of sad.:

It's also redefined the meaning of what friendship is, and it's overcomplicated a lot of things. In many ways it's made it easier to keep in contact with people, and in other ways it's made it much harder to really connect with these people.

I only have a solid core of about 15-20 friends that I care to keep in contact with over the phone, and a small, tight-knit group of about 5-10 people that I keep in regular contact with, and an elite core of 1-5 friends you have a diehard allegiance to. Everybody else is filler. They're a co-worker or former co-worker, some long distant relative I've never even met, a friend-of-a-friend who seemed nice enough the 2 times you met them before, some douchebag I went to high school with almost 2 decades ago, a chick you met in college who spoke to you 3 times, some military buddies who were cool to pass time with on watch... but not cool enough to set aside time to keep up with their daily lives, etc.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 10:58:45 AM
At 2/21/2012 3:57:37 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Is that because you haven't got any friends on it?

No. Why do you think a guy like me does not have any friends. Whether it is here or on a stupid social network like Facebook. Youre not that dumb are you.
Actually you are.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 7:02:57 PM
OP (who happens to be my facebook friend ^_^) wins 42 interwebz and a Illuminati bumper sticker.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
thepotterhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 7:32:26 PM

"Facebook sucks" is not an appropriate statement. What do you have to back that up?
Harry Potter
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 10:09:00 PM
At 2/22/2012 8:46:09 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The OP is correct for the most part, but there is something to be said for our newfound lack of F2F communication in this modern world of cellphones and FB. People still in school probably don't notice it as much, but people after graduating find themselvese particularly isolated from others in their own neighborhoods. When I was little, people used to just "stop by" unannounced to hang out and socialize. That practice is all but dead now, and it's kind of sad.:

It's also redefined the meaning of what friendship is, and it's overcomplicated a lot of things. In many ways it's made it easier to keep in contact with people, and in other ways it's made it much harder to really connect with these people.

I only have a solid core of about 15-20 friends that I care to keep in contact with over the phone, and a small, tight-knit group of about 5-10 people that I keep in regular contact with, and an elite core of 1-5 friends you have a diehard allegiance to. Everybody else is filler. They're a co-worker or former co-worker, some long distant relative I've never even met, a friend-of-a-friend who seemed nice enough the 2 times you met them before, some douchebag I went to high school with almost 2 decades ago, a chick you met in college who spoke to you 3 times, some military buddies who were cool to pass time with on watch... but not cool enough to set aside time to keep up with their daily lives, etc.

That, that, that!

Facebook can be a lot of things, but that doesn't stop the fact that the setup of the page itself, the expectations, and the etiquette are not conducive at all to the types of interactions which are actually fulfilling to me.

I happily await the demise of facebook.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 10:44:20 PM
What's that saying again? Oh ya "Computer programs only do what you tell them to do."
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ItsJenny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 8:33:37 PM
I agree with OP. Facebook is supposed to be open for everyone. So many people complain about what others post and expect what others do on Facebook to revolve around them.