Jump to topic:

Idiotic youth culture

EPRdebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 12:57:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why is everything so damn idiotic, things like LolCats, anime cartoons, screamo music, pedoBear, and phrases like 'Potato' 'arrow in the knee' and other internet phenomenons, I have a profound hate such things, why do people find these awful things funny? They are stupid. Just want some other opinions.
Romanes eunt domus
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 1:24:47 AM
Well, not every youth is a fool, although if 'youth culture' is defined by things held to by a majority of youths as cool then yes, there is a problem.

However, there are many exceptions to a majority idea even at an age of youth (I am 16 for example and love many old fashioned things, hate swearing, hate improper language use, love my Albert Hammond music etc.) . Many of my friends can appreciate a black and white film and not complain. It is not as if every youth is a total fool.

As for what you are alluding to as youth culture though, yes, it is generally pathetic and such.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
EPRdebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 1:28:57 AM
Agree with you, mostly. It's not that I live in the past or anything, it's just everything seems pointless, unoriginal, stupid and, for lack of a better word, soulless.
Romanes eunt domus
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 1:36:26 PM
At 2/22/2012 12:57:26 AM, EPRdebate wrote:
Why is everything so damn idiotic, things like LolCats, anime cartoons, screamo music, pedoBear, and phrases like 'Potato' 'arrow in the knee' and other internet phenomenons, I have a profound hate such things, why do people find these awful things funny? They are stupid. Just want some other opinions.

Youth have always wanted to declare their independence from their parents. On way to do that it to adopt fads that do not interest the older generations so that they build a cultural space in which they dominate. If they adopted things that everybody liked, they would end up being not "in control." It would be really tough to start a garage band that competes with the Berlin Philharmonic -- but jumping around and screaming has lots of opportunities.

Sometimes good things come out of youth culture. Elvis and the Beatles came from the youth of a different era and have endured. But those are exceptions.

You mentioned anime, which I like. Anime is mainstream culture in Japan, but youth culture in the rest of the world. It's a generic art form like "movies" or "music." Some of it is excellent and some poor. It defies generic categorization.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 3:28:28 PM
I see a lot of opinion here on what is and what is not idiotic.

Just cause you don't like it, does not make it idiotic.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 6:44:17 PM

I love all the things you mentioned.
Don't be such a killjoy; no-one is asking you to like them nor is this internet culture being forced down your throat by anyone.
Lolcats are cute and often very funny.
Anime is not expressly 'youth culture' and is enjoyed by people of all ages. Some of it is absolutely brilliant.
Screamo is not expressly 'youth culture' either and can be traced back through at least the past two decades, meaning that people in their 40s probably have and still do listen to it.
PedoBear is actually a realistic and satirical snap-shot of internet culture. Sorry if you don't get the joke.
Potato.
"Arrow in the knee" is a Skyrim reference and a highly amusing one when you understand the context.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 6:50:18 PM
At 2/23/2012 6:44:17 PM, tvellalott wrote:

I love all the things you mentioned.
Don't be such a killjoy; no-one is asking you to like them nor is this internet culture being forced down your throat by anyone.
Lolcats are cute and often very funny.
Anime is not expressly 'youth culture' and is enjoyed by people of all ages. Some of it is absolutely brilliant.
Screamo is not expressly 'youth culture' either and can be traced back through at least the past two decades, meaning that people in their 40s probably have and still do listen to it.
PedoBear is actually a realistic and satirical snap-shot of internet culture. Sorry if you don't get the joke.
Potato.
"Arrow in the knee" is a Skyrim reference and a highly amusing one when you understand the context.

Come on, now. I find a lot of this stuff funny, too, but most of it is ridiculous and immature. Soon enough, we'll be complaining about a new influx of seemingly detrimental nonsense because we aren't "in on the joke." I'd say this garbage is giving our generation a bad name but 1) every generation goes through this and 2) it's far too late for that.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 6:58:06 PM
At 2/23/2012 6:50:18 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Come on, now. I find a lot of this stuff funny, too, but most of it is ridiculous and immature.
Well I'm ridiculous and immature, so shoot me.

Soon enough, we'll be complaining about a new influx of seemingly detrimental nonsense because we aren't "in on the joke."
Probably.

I'd say this garbage is giving our generation a bad name but 1) every generation goes through this and 2) it's far too late for that.
Garbage? There is some real sh!t on the internet, like... awful, insipid, mindless dross... But none of the things (except maybe potato) is among it.

There is CONSTANT idiotic youth culture. It's just seems like some people only want to focus on the current youth so they can feel better about being boring cvnts.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2012 4:13:13 PM
mmmmm muffins
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.