Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Affirmative Action Is Necessary *

inferno
Posts: 10,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 9:59:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
We all know that because some minorities do live in the poverty number bracket, they may be qualified to attend a prestigious university based on their grade average and performance. This was put into place for those who were denied access under normal circumstances while living in a post segregation society.
Of course racism still exists and so does discrimination that reaches over racial lines and into gender. There are a lot of White Females who have benefitted because of affirmative action and was able to get a good education in the process.
So this is not just a race issue, it is about giving people a fair chance in an unfair society. Economic exclusion is very real, especially in todays world. So we are fortunate to have a formidable system and equal opportunity player and equalizer such as
affirmative action. Remember, it is about those who are qualified. Race is irrelvent here. What do you think.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 10:30:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/22/2012 9:59:46 AM, inferno wrote:
We all know that because some minorities do live in the poverty number bracket, they may be qualified to attend a prestigious university based on their grade average and performance. This was put into place for those who were denied access under normal circumstances while living in a post segregation society.
Of course racism still exists and so does discrimination that reaches over racial lines and into gender. There are a lot of White Females who have benefitted because of affirmative action and was able to get a good education in the process.
So this is not just a race issue, it is about giving people a fair chance in an unfair society. Economic exclusion is very real, especially in todays world. So we are fortunate to have a formidable system and equal opportunity player and equalizer such as
affirmative action. Remember, it is about those who are qualified. Race is irrelvent here. What do you think.

Mitt Romney's penis.

Next!
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 10:47:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/22/2012 9:59:46 AM, inferno wrote:
We all know that because some minorities do live in the poverty number bracket, they may be qualified to attend a prestigious university based on their grade average and performance. This was put into place for those who were denied access under normal circumstances while living in a post segregation society.
Of course racism still exists and so does discrimination that reaches over racial lines and into gender. There are a lot of White Females who have benefitted because of affirmative action and was able to get a good education in the process.
So this is not just a race issue, it is about giving people a fair chance in an unfair society. Economic exclusion is very real, especially in todays world. So we are fortunate to have a formidable system and equal opportunity player and equalizer such as
affirmative action. Remember, it is about those who are qualified. Race is irrelvent here. What do you think.

It was put into place with good intentions. Now, however, it just is the vote bait. Keeping in line with the intentions, there should be at least some checks to ensure that the people availing that benefit are Actually in need. I hate seeing people who study WITH me getting the college with a much lower percentage :/
inferno
Posts: 10,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 10:56:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/22/2012 10:47:12 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
At 2/22/2012 9:59:46 AM, inferno wrote:
We all know that because some minorities do live in the poverty number bracket, they may be qualified to attend a prestigious university based on their grade average and performance. This was put into place for those who were denied access under normal circumstances while living in a post segregation society.
Of course racism still exists and so does discrimination that reaches over racial lines and into gender. There are a lot of White Females who have benefitted because of affirmative action and was able to get a good education in the process.
So this is not just a race issue, it is about giving people a fair chance in an unfair society. Economic exclusion is very real, especially in todays world. So we are fortunate to have a formidable system and equal opportunity player and equalizer such as
affirmative action. Remember, it is about those who are qualified. Race is irrelvent here. What do you think.

It was put into place with good intentions. Now, however, it just is the vote bait. Keeping in line with the intentions, there should be at least some checks to ensure that the people availing that benefit are Actually in need. I hate seeing people who study WITH me getting the college with a much lower percentage :/

Well that would only be because even with a lower percentage, they do qualify and is able to attend a prestigious university under the law. Did it ever occur to you that the people who have higher gpa may be saying the same about you.
inferno
Posts: 10,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 11:04:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
It is needed even in todays world where we have people being denied access even if they are qualified. This can go for race or gender.
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 4:52:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I oppose state forced quotas or Affirmative action.

It does nothing but decrease efficiency.

If racial diversity was efficient, a free market would naturally tend towards it. And, as history has shown, more racial diversity can be somewhat beneficial so long as it is not state forced.
President of DDO
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 6:13:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Here's the bottom line. You may have an impressive GPA in the past, but if you come into an interview like a retarded introvert, there's an excellent chance you might be passed up for another candidate who carries themselves much more professionally than the retarded introvert.

People make judgment calls ALL THE TIME, and much of it has nothing to do with race or economic status. Why do you think a lawyer tells his client to wear a suit and tie at the trial versus slippers and some raggedy-@ss sweatpants?

You can't stop this no matter how many times you create well-intentioned policies. All AA does is make blanket statements about people based on race, which is the very thing it seeks to subvert. In most people's rationale, that's called hypocrisy and a self-defeating proposition.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
MarquisX
Posts: 925
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 6:23:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Affirmative Action is a step backwards in racial equality. I want to get a job because I'm good at it, not because of my skin color.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 6:28:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/22/2012 6:23:23 PM, MarquisX wrote:
Affirmative Action is a step backwards in racial equality. I want to get a job because I'm good at it, not because of my skin color.:

Well stated. I think I'd be more offended by getting a job because of the color of my skin than not getting one because of the color of my skin.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 6:43:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/22/2012 6:40:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
How can Blacks raise their children with pride when the white majority says they are unable to with affirmative action?:

By saying, "You don't need their pittance or their self-serving sanctimony. Don't ever beg for crumbs from the white man's table. You can do this on your own."

You paying attention, Inferno? You want to be a lap dog or you want to be your own man in control of his own destiny?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 6:45:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/22/2012 6:43:58 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
By saying, "You don't need their pittance or their self-serving sanctimony. Don't ever beg for crumbs from the white man's table. You can do this on your own."

Amen.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 7:36:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't think affirmative action implies you weren't qualified for the job. I got my job due to nepotism. People often ask how I got in and I tell them the truth. I didn't even have an interview and I didn't undergo any training. I also happen to be a top performer. Many people have their jobs due to nepotism, and the networks they've created through who they know. I hate to make a sweeping generalization, but not a lot of black people have this luxury. It sucks for the white people who don't have those connections, but I don't see affirmative action as any worse than nepotism.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 7:57:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/22/2012 6:40:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
How can Blacks raise their children with pride when the white majority says they are unable to with affirmative action?

Why should blacks care what the white majority says?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 7:58:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/22/2012 7:36:24 PM, nonentity wrote:
I don't think affirmative action implies you weren't qualified for the job. I got my job due to nepotism. People often ask how I got in and I tell them the truth. I didn't even have an interview and I didn't undergo any training. I also happen to be a top performer. Many people have their jobs due to nepotism, and the networks they've created through who they know. I hate to make a sweeping generalization, but not a lot of black people have this luxury. It sucks for the white people who don't have those connections, but I don't see affirmative action as any worse than nepotism.

Except nepotism is not legally mandated, while AA is.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 8:05:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/22/2012 7:57:45 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 2/22/2012 6:40:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
How can Blacks raise their children with pride when the white majority says they are unable to with affirmative action?

Why should blacks care *about* what the white majority says?

Fixed.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 3:02:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/22/2012 10:56:06 AM, inferno wrote:
At 2/22/2012 10:47:12 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:


It was put into place with good intentions. Now, however, it just is the vote bait. Keeping in line with the intentions, there should be at least some checks to ensure that the people availing that benefit are Actually in need. I hate seeing people who study WITH me getting the college with a much lower percentage :/

Well that would only be because even with a lower percentage, they do qualify and is able to attend a prestigious university under the law. Did it ever occur to you that the people who have higher gpa may be saying the same about you.

People with a higher percentage are in a better college. Why would they say that about me? We are arguing about the validity of the law, what are you trying to say?
inferno
Posts: 10,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 9:43:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/22/2012 7:36:24 PM, nonentity wrote:
I don't think affirmative action implies you weren't qualified for the job. I got my job due to nepotism. People often ask how I got in and I tell them the truth. I didn't even have an interview and I didn't undergo any training. I also happen to be a top performer. Many people have their jobs due to nepotism, and the networks they've created through who they know. I hate to make a sweeping generalization, but not a lot of black people have this luxury. It sucks for the white people who don't have those connections, but I don't see affirmative action as any worse than nepotism.

That is because you are highly unaware of how the system works. And you probably dont know of many Whites who have benefitted from this affirmative action. I know quite a few, and they are proud of how it gave them access to an edcuation they may not have received.
inferno
Posts: 10,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 9:44:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/23/2012 3:02:21 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
At 2/22/2012 10:56:06 AM, inferno wrote:
At 2/22/2012 10:47:12 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:


It was put into place with good intentions. Now, however, it just is the vote bait. Keeping in line with the intentions, there should be at least some checks to ensure that the people availing that benefit are Actually in need. I hate seeing people who study WITH me getting the college with a much lower percentage :/

Well that would only be because even with a lower percentage, they do qualify and is able to attend a prestigious university under the law. Did it ever occur to you that the people who have higher gpa may be saying the same about you.

People with a higher percentage are in a better college. Why would they say that about me? We are arguing about the validity of the law, what are you trying to say?

That it is wrong to deny access to those who may not benefit from the same advantages that you have. The law is the law, and it was put there for a reason.
inferno
Posts: 10,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 9:45:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/22/2012 6:43:58 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 2/22/2012 6:40:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
How can Blacks raise their children with pride when the white majority says they are unable to with affirmative action?:

By saying, "You don't need their pittance or their self-serving sanctimony. Don't ever beg for crumbs from the white man's table. You can do this on your own."

You paying attention, Inferno? You want to be a lap dog or you want to be your own man in control of his own destiny?

I am. But I am speaking on the behalf of others. I get paid 24 hours a day. Do you.
MarquisX
Posts: 925
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 11:43:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/23/2012 9:45:26 AM, inferno wrote:
At 2/22/2012 6:43:58 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 2/22/2012 6:40:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
How can Blacks raise their children with pride when the white majority says they are unable to with affirmative action?:

By saying, "You don't need their pittance or their self-serving sanctimony. Don't ever beg for crumbs from the white man's table. You can do this on your own."

You paying attention, Inferno? You want to be a lap dog or you want to be your own man in control of his own destiny?

I am. But I am speaking on the behalf of others. I get paid 24 hours a day. Do you.

How do you get paid 24 hours a day? What do you do?
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
inferno
Posts: 10,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 11:56:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/23/2012 11:43:14 AM, MarquisX wrote:
At 2/23/2012 9:45:26 AM, inferno wrote:
At 2/22/2012 6:43:58 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 2/22/2012 6:40:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
How can Blacks raise their children with pride when the white majority says they are unable to with affirmative action?:

By saying, "You don't need their pittance or their self-serving sanctimony. Don't ever beg for crumbs from the white man's table. You can do this on your own."

You paying attention, Inferno? You want to be a lap dog or you want to be your own man in control of his own destiny?

I am. But I am speaking on the behalf of others. I get paid 24 hours a day. Do you.

How do you get paid 24 hours a day? What do you do?

Shhhhh. That has to be kept secret my friend. Im just following the politicians and the IDIOTS in DC.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 6:10:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/22/2012 7:58:17 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 2/22/2012 7:36:24 PM, nonentity wrote:
I don't think affirmative action implies you weren't qualified for the job. I got my job due to nepotism. People often ask how I got in and I tell them the truth. I didn't even have an interview and I didn't undergo any training. I also happen to be a top performer. Many people have their jobs due to nepotism, and the networks they've created through who they know. I hate to make a sweeping generalization, but not a lot of black people have this luxury. It sucks for the white people who don't have those connections, but I don't see affirmative action as any worse than nepotism.

Except nepotism is not legally mandated, while AA is.

Historically, nepotism has left a select group of people disadvantaged. Why is that okay?

The main argument against AA is "Would you rather have a doctor who got his job through AA or one who was qualified?" but that presupposes the minority doctor wasn't qualified, which simply isn't true. AA might get you into college/university but it won't do you work for you and it won't get you your degree.

I'm undecided about AA, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. Most people who are against AA are okay with nepotism. It's a little hypocritical.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 6:35:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/23/2012 6:10:20 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 2/22/2012 7:58:17 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 2/22/2012 7:36:24 PM, nonentity wrote:
I don't think affirmative action implies you weren't qualified for the job. I got my job due to nepotism. People often ask how I got in and I tell them the truth. I didn't even have an interview and I didn't undergo any training. I also happen to be a top performer. Many people have their jobs due to nepotism, and the networks they've created through who they know. I hate to make a sweeping generalization, but not a lot of black people have this luxury. It sucks for the white people who don't have those connections, but I don't see affirmative action as any worse than nepotism.

Except nepotism is not legally mandated, while AA is.

Historically, nepotism has left a select group of people disadvantaged. Why is that okay?
The same reason it's okay if a private employer has a private AA policy. Freedom.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 6:40:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/23/2012 6:35:19 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 2/23/2012 6:10:20 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 2/22/2012 7:58:17 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 2/22/2012 7:36:24 PM, nonentity wrote:
I don't think affirmative action implies you weren't qualified for the job. I got my job due to nepotism. People often ask how I got in and I tell them the truth. I didn't even have an interview and I didn't undergo any training. I also happen to be a top performer. Many people have their jobs due to nepotism, and the networks they've created through who they know. I hate to make a sweeping generalization, but not a lot of black people have this luxury. It sucks for the white people who don't have those connections, but I don't see affirmative action as any worse than nepotism.

Except nepotism is not legally mandated, while AA is.

Historically, nepotism has left a select group of people disadvantaged. Why is that okay?
The same reason it's okay if a private employer has a private AA policy. Freedom.

A private employer (white) has incentive to implement nepotism. A white person has no incentive to implement AA.
Starcraftzzz
Posts: 487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 6:52:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://www.mat.jhu.edu...
^People who get into higher education in part from affirmative action excelled more than white counterparts.
^People helped by affirmative action are more likely than their counterparts to obtain professional degrees in law, business and medicine.
^They also obtain more community service hours and become more active in community activities.
^^This is because some people receive less opportunities than others. Meaning the only reason some people have higher test scores or GPA's etc is because they received more opportunities.
^^If you truly believe in racial equality than you must truly believe and support racial equality in outcomes.
^^It's not fair to people that they not be accepted because they were given significantly less opportunity than others; especially when statistically these people when given the opportunities excel and do better than others.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 7:00:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/23/2012 6:40:46 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 2/23/2012 6:35:19 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 2/23/2012 6:10:20 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 2/22/2012 7:58:17 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 2/22/2012 7:36:24 PM, nonentity wrote:
I don't think affirmative action implies you weren't qualified for the job. I got my job due to nepotism. People often ask how I got in and I tell them the truth. I didn't even have an interview and I didn't undergo any training. I also happen to be a top performer. Many people have their jobs due to nepotism, and the networks they've created through who they know. I hate to make a sweeping generalization, but not a lot of black people have this luxury. It sucks for the white people who don't have those connections, but I don't see affirmative action as any worse than nepotism.

Except nepotism is not legally mandated, while AA is.

Historically, nepotism has left a select group of people disadvantaged. Why is that okay?
The same reason it's okay if a private employer has a private AA policy. Freedom.

A private employer (white) has incentive to implement nepotism.
They have a financial disincentive. If the shareholders don't think that's enough, they are free to make the disincentive bigger next time they agree to a corporate charter. If he's on his own it's consumer spending and no one else's problem.

A white person has no incentive to implement AA.

Then why do many do so, even those not legally mandated?
More important, why would I care?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 7:01:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
According to Mister Starcraftzzz a white person does have such incentive btw, not that that means much.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
inferno
Posts: 10,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2012 9:26:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/23/2012 8:12:01 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
So if I get what rags is saying... Federally mandated Nepotism would then make it the same as AA?

No. One is for the injustices of the system. And the other promotes favortism.