Jump to topic:

Spanking, childhood, and chocolate

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 4:44:04 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
...minus the chocolate. What are your thoughts on physically punishing children and how does it relate to your own childhood? If we have any parents in the mix, how have you handled this issue?

I come from your classic Puerto Rican household where the question wasn't whether or not to beat, but what to beat with. Fortunately, my brother was a big enough trouble-maker to attract all the beatings, so I managed to grow up spank-free. Since then, various adolescent development courses have solidified my anti-spanking mindset. We'll see whether it holds up in practice haha.

What are your thoughts?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 5:48:50 PM
I'm a parent and I'm dead against it, I know it's the norm for a lot of cultures and individuals but I think there are much better ways to discipline your kids.

Me and my two older brothers were all beaten quite severely by my mum's boyfriend when we were kids, it is one of my earliest memories.

I know a proper beating is different from an occasional spanking but I still think that is wrong. My daughter knows I would never ever hit her.

My brothers and I were all trouble makers and school dropouts, both of them have been in prison, my daughter is extremely well behaved (so far).

Being battered by an adult when you are a small child makes you feel helpless and angry, it may teach you how to avoid the next beating but will never teach you right from wrong because it is wrong.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 6:40:25 PM
At 6/23/2009 4:44:04 PM, Maikuru wrote:
...minus the chocolate. What are your thoughts on physically punishing children and how does it relate to your own childhood? If we have any parents in the mix, how have you handled this issue?

I come from your classic Puerto Rican household where the question wasn't whether or not to beat, but what to beat with. Fortunately, my brother was a big enough trouble-maker to attract all the beatings, so I managed to grow up spank-free. Since then, various adolescent development courses have solidified my anti-spanking mindset. We'll see whether it holds up in practice haha.

What are your thoughts?

I was hit a lot. I've never had to use physical abuse to keep my nephew in line when I've watched him. I would argue that stupid parents need it. It's better than that they kill the kid, I guess.
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
lil_Oreo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 6:56:14 PM
At 6/23/2009 5:48:50 PM, feverish wrote:
I'm a parent and I'm dead against it, I know it's the norm for a lot of cultures and individuals but I think there are much better ways to discipline your kids.

I wish someone had told my parents this before I came around!
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the world will know Peace.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 6:57:20 PM
Spanking
-Should be allowed as long as children are under jurisdiction. As soon as they reach the age of consent, this is assault

Chocolate
-Government should not limit the right to voluntarily consume any product. This includes hereditary government.

What was the other question?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 7:13:20 PM
As long as the child is also given the option "Run away from home unhindered" ("Run away from home unhindered except by police/social workers/whatever chasing you" doesn't count), sure. Apply the house rules-- to someone who chose to be in the house. But don't force anyone to be there, minor or otherwise.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 7:16:50 PM
At 6/23/2009 4:44:04 PM, Maikuru wrote:
What are your thoughts on physically punishing children and how does it relate to your own childhood?

I'd find it hilarious that anyone could possibly conclude that the receiving end will learn morality because the delivering end uses violence... that is, if the results weren't so fu(king tragic.

I come from your classic Puerto Rican household where the question wasn't whether or not to beat, but what to beat with.

classic Chinese household. Same here. Clotheshanger must've been my least favorite one, because it would bend on impact with my wrists - everything else would at least have a probability of breaking. And they've broken quite a lot of things. And by that, I don't mean I use my wrists as a weapon. I mean my parents used everything to whack my wrists - ceramic bowls, 2x2's, chopsticks, you name it - they all stopped being used precisely because they would break on my wrists.

Fortunately, my brother was a big enough trouble-maker to attract all the beatings, so I managed to grow up spank-free.

My sister was the trouble maker.
I was the one that corrected her before my parents got to it.
And then I was the one that got all the beatings.

Now you have a sense of how my unconscious processes things.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 8:31:53 PM
I'm Italian. My mother liked wooden spoons and throwing things (usually shoes). I s'pose it could be worse -- my grandpa was a fan of belts, apparently ^_^

Anyway, I definitely don't believe in beating a kid, but I think a good slap across a smug little face could do everyone - not just children - a little good. There are plenty of people on this site I wouldn't mind smacking upside the head, for example :P
President of DDO
LB628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 8:35:59 PM
Against.
While I was (luckily) someone who was not beaten, all it seems it would do is create the idea that might makes right, and that you can enforce morality with violence. Worse, it can create the idea that it is acceptable to enforce your wishes with violence on others.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 9:06:17 PM
That include me Lwerd?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2009 6:16:17 AM
'Spare the rod and spoil the child' they say, and how right they are.

have a look at this spoilt little brat on the telly...

...if only the ending was real!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 7:50:36 AM
At 6/24/2009 6:16:17 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
'Spare the rod and spoil the child' they say, and how right they are.

have a look at this spoilt little brat on the telly...

...if only the ending was real!

That was amazing.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2009 12:25:08 PM
There is nothing wrong with spanking as a punishment, so long as it is done in a loving and corrective manner, and not in anger. When it is done in anger it is abuse, plain and simple.

Speaking from personal experience, it is actually quite an effective form of punishment for younger children.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2009 12:41:02 PM
At 7/6/2009 12:25:08 PM, Lifeisgood wrote:
There is nothing wrong with spanking as a punishment, so long as it is done in a loving and corrective manner, and not in anger. When it is done in anger it is abuse, plain and simple.

It's even worse when it's done in a "loving and corrective" manner.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2009 12:49:25 PM
At 7/6/2009 12:41:02 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:

That is untrue. Corporal punishment when done in restraint and as a last measure only to impose discipline on a child that refuses to acknowledge it can be a very effective and humane thing to do, compared to some of the alternatives.

A parent has every right to discipline their child within reason.
Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2009 3:25:36 PM

Huh? What do you mean by that? How is it worse?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
LB628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2009 6:50:02 PM
At 7/6/2009 3:25:36 PM, Lifeisgood wrote:

Huh? What do you mean by that? How is it worse?

It is worse because then it becomes acceptable to use violence on others as long as it is for their own good (from your own perspective on "their own good" of course). This is not, and should never be acceptable.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2009 7:13:48 PM
From whence is the right to discipline a child without the permission of the child derived?
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 7:23:28 AM
Let us cut straight to the heart of the matter:

Are human beings born 'good' and with the right support and nurturing can fulfil their potential?

OR..

Are human beings born sinful and without control and discipline will ultimately destroy themselves and everyone else around them?

Your view on this question will inform your view on spanking etc.

Colossians2:8
Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit,
according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world,
and not according to Christ.
The Cross.. the Cross.