Jump to topic:

About the so-called apocalypse.

Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 12:03:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I know anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows that this 2012 thing is crap, but I thought I'd...well...gloat.

Thing is, if the mayans were right then the world should have already ended. See, after the mayans there was a small-time leader of people you probably never heard of named Julius Ceaser who did a few unremarkable things like conquer Gaul, become a dictator, and so on.

The guy also created the Julian calendar, in the process creating the leap year. Now I did the math and I figure there must have been more than three hundred leap-years since then and now.

Which means that if it weren't for leap years then in terms of the date we would be just about into 2013.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
Chthonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 10:06:19 AM
At 3/10/2012 12:03:43 AM, Veridas wrote:
I know anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows that this 2012 thing is crap, but I thought I'd...well...gloat.

Thing is, if the mayans were right then the world should have already ended. See, after the mayans there was a small-time leader of people you probably never heard of named Julius Ceaser who did a few unremarkable things like conquer Gaul, become a dictator, and so on.

The guy also created the Julian calendar, in the process creating the leap year. Now I did the math and I figure there must have been more than three hundred leap-years since then and now.

Which means that if it weren't for leap years then in terms of the date we would be just about into 2013.

Veridas, I think your 'gloating' is premature.

The error in your calculation is that you assume the Mayans based the end of their long count calendar on only the solar year. In fact, the Mayans invented the long count calendar to keep track of earthly, lunar, solar and galactic seasons. The actual Julian calendar date is irrelevant. What is relevant, and in my view amazing, is that day the Mayans chose to end their calendar is based on empirical calculations for the day the Sun conjuncts the intersection of the Milky Way and the plane of the ecliptic, which just happens to coincide with the December 21, 2012 date of the Julian calendar. Apparently, the Mayans kept track of the precession of the equinoxes, a cycle of approximately 26,000 years by observing the relative slippage of the positions of stars in the night sky over long periods.

What this day holds for humanity is unclear, but one thing is certain: December 21, 2012 is going provide a rare astronomical event that we are lucky enough to witness in our lifetime. The last time this occurred was 25,800 years ago.
Irkutsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 1:23:32 PM
At 3/10/2012 10:06:19 AM, Chthonian wrote:

The error in your calculation is that you assume the Mayans based the end of their long count calendar on only the solar year. In fact, the Mayans invented the long count calendar to keep track of earthly, lunar, solar and galactic seasons. The actual Julian calendar date is irrelevant. What is relevant, and in my view amazing, is that day the Mayans chose to end their calendar is based on empirical calculations for the day the Sun conjuncts the intersection of the Milky Way and the plane of the ecliptic, which just happens to coincide with the December 21, 2012 date of the Julian calendar. Apparently, the Mayans kept track of the precession of the equinoxes, a cycle of approximately 26,000 years by observing the relative slippage of the positions of stars in the night sky over long periods.

What this day holds for humanity is unclear, but one thing is certain: December 21, 2012 is going provide a rare astronomical event that we are lucky enough to witness in our lifetime. The last time this occurred was 25,800 years ago.

That was a very clear and scientific explanation.
Life is like radiation. A uniquely damaging event. Perhaps I will live another thirty years. Perhaps I will die tomorrow. But I have no regrets. I was sometimes forced to make difficult choices. But enough is enough. As Vladimir would say, you can only die once, make sure it is worth it.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 1:47:03 PM

What this day holds for humanity is unclear, but one thing is certain: December 21, 2012 is going provide a rare astronomical event that we are lucky enough to witness in our lifetime. The last time this occurred was 25,800 years ago.:

Nowhere did the Mayans "predict" the end of the world. On no document, whatsoever, did anyone articulate any kind of prediction concerning the end of the world. That's based on a massive assumption. They simply ran out of room on the calendar, and for reasons unknown, they never started a new one (perhaps their civilization self-destructed before getting around to it).

Not continuing a calendar =/= apocalyptic prophecy.

All apocalyptic predictions (and there have been hundreds over many centuries) have a 100% rate of failure and a 0% success rate.

As for the so-called significant astronomical event, this video summarizes it nicely.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 4:06:58 PM
"Our earth is degenerate in these latter days; bribery and corruption are common; children no longer obey their parents; and the end of the world is evidently approaching. " --Assyrian clay tablet 2800 B.C.

Facebook quote of mine.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 4:09:03 PM
At 3/10/2012 4:06:58 PM, Wnope wrote:
"Our earth is degenerate in these latter days; bribery and corruption are common; children no longer obey their parents; and the end of the world is evidently approaching. " --Assyrian clay tablet 2800 B.C.

Facebook quote of mine.

The things prophesied in this tablet have been taking place for thousands of years already.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 4:32:32 PM

I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU!!!! YES!!! YES!!!!
kfc
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 4:36:13 PM

I'm posting this to FB to shut everyone up pretending that they figured out the leap year thing by themselves.
kfc
Chthonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 4:59:21 PM
At 3/10/2012 1:47:03 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

What this day holds for humanity is unclear, but one thing is certain: December 21, 2012 is going provide a rare astronomical event that we are lucky enough to witness in our lifetime. The last time this occurred was 25,800 years ago.:

Nowhere did the Mayans "predict" the end of the world. On no document, whatsoever, did anyone articulate any kind of prediction concerning the end of the world. That's based on a massive assumption. They simply ran out of room on the calendar, and for reasons unknown, they never started a new one (perhaps their civilization self-destructed before getting around to it).

Not continuing a calendar =/= apocalyptic prophecy.

All apocalyptic predictions (and there have been hundreds over many centuries) have a 100% rate of failure and a 0% success rate.

As for the so-called significant astronomical event, this video summarizes it nicely.

Thanks for sharing the video, PM.

The video does a good job of explaining that the galactic alignment with the sun is an visual "illusion" based on perspective. However, what the Mayans got right--from earth's perspective--is that the sun will intersect the galactic plane and the elliptic plane--a common astronomical event-- on the winter solstice in 2012--a very rare astronomical event; an amazing calculation for a 'primitive' people.

Check out the last image in the link provided:
http://www.ancient-world-mysteries.com...

As for the end of the Mayan long-count calendar predicting the end of the world, I too think this is highly unlikely. Like most of the Mayan calendars, they had begins and ends; and when one ended, it just started the cycle over again. More probable is that after December 21, 2012 we will begin a new era, not a destruction of an old one...
Chthonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 5:06:22 PM
At 3/10/2012 4:36:13 PM, Koopin wrote:

I'm posting this to FB to shut everyone up pretending that they figured out the leap year thing by themselves.

Glad to be of service, Kloopin ;)

I have seen the FB nonsense as well, and it irked me too.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 11:58:55 AM
The video does a good job of explaining that the galactic alignment with the sun is an visual "illusion" based on perspective. However, what the Mayans got right--from earth's perspective--is that the sun will intersect the galactic plane and the elliptic plane--a common astronomical event-- on the winter solstice in 2012--a very rare astronomical event; an amazing calculation for a 'primitive' people.:

This alignment that people make a big deal about isn't rare at all, it happens every single year. This hype is built entirely around pseudoscience. Here's an actual cosmologist explaining.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Chthonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 4:03:46 PM
At 3/11/2012 11:58:55 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The video does a good job of explaining that the galactic alignment with the sun is an visual "illusion" based on perspective. However, what the Mayans got right--from earth's perspective--is that the sun will intersect the galactic plane and the elliptic plane--a common astronomical event-- on the winter solstice in 2012--a very rare astronomical event; an amazing calculation for a 'primitive' people.:

This alignment that people make a big deal about isn't rare at all, it happens every single year. This hype is built entirely around pseudoscience. Here's an actual cosmologist explaining.

I suppose Dr. Tyson is the final authority on the matter. I guess I was mistaken about the rarity of the event, even though technically speaking the sun will not be in the exact same position relative to the galactic center year after year; a fact the Mayans knew well. In any event, my initial point about the problems of extrapolating the "doomsday date" into 2013 because of the leap year still holds.

Nevertheless, the Mayan calculations are still impressive and are no way based on pseudoscience. When the Long Count calendar was invented, the position of winter solstice was about 20 degrees away from where it is today. The Mayans must have known the position of the winter solstice moves 1 degree every 100 years in order to properly predict where the sun will be in the sky some 2000 years in the future. Moreover, the ending of their Long Count calendar puts the sun's position within the 'center' of the galactic bulge of the Milky Way, give or take a couple of degrees. Granted, we will perceive it in this position for at least the next 100 years; it is still a significant scientific achievement…
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 12:34:36 PM
This is what I don't get about all of this nonsense.

1. Assuming the ancient Maya unambiguously and equivically stated "THE WORLD WILL END" on a date that coincides with the end of 2012. So what? The list of people that have "predicted" the end of the world is longer than some long apendage on my body.

2. Assuming that December 2012 merely coincides with the end of the Mayan Calendar. So what? It'd be like future archaeologists going here http://www.opm.gov... and then stating that Ancient Americans believed the world would end in 2020, because that's as far as they bothered to project their official holiday schedule.

3. When we realize that the calendar didn't "end" and the 2012 is just the end of one of the Mayan cycles of time, what significance should we place on this? The cycle of time in question was a "Baktun" and it seems odd that, if the Mayan's thought anything would end, that they would develop units of time that encompass numerous "Baktun" (Piktun, Kalabtun, K'inchiltun, 1 Alautun)

4. At the end of the day, I don't think we should place any more attention on this than modern Mayan's do: none.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 10:07:11 PM
Let's make this very clear. The Mayan's did NOT predict the end of the world or an apocalypse. The predicted a new era and 12/21/2012 is a day of CELEBRATION.

Everyone likes to put words in the Mayan's mouth and claim that they said the world will end. FALSE! They're actual writings say otherwise.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 9:26:35 AM

We are at the beginning of a new era. The beginning of the end.
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 1:01:52 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org...

While your statement is true, it isn't absolutely. The Mayans did use circular time periods not dissimilar to, just much longer than our year.

I also feel the need to point out that these people thought human beings were made of frickin' corn, so I doubt their astrological abilities were all that amazing. So forgive me for not being completely enthralled.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 7:56:40 AM
At 3/12/2012 9:51:29 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Yah, like they were soooo accurate about their own apocalypse...

The apocalypse is an allegorical climax based on Judaism and Christianity. The Mayans were not Christians or Jewish.

Our calendars didn't reach past 2000 at one point. People made similar apocalyptic claims:

"Around the world, hundreds of millions of computers will also make the transition from the old year to the new, from the year 1999 to the year 2000. And when they do, many of these engines of modern society will begin to crash or malfunction, precipitating a global crisis, the scope of which we have not experienced since World War II." - Grant Jeffrey in Millenium Meltdown.

What really happened? A couple of major systems went down, but overall, it was generally anticlimactic. The most that happened was change from one system to another, and the emergence of new technologies made that change much easier than initially assumed.

I'm pretty sure the Mayans were averring something similar -- all of the related text doesn't support that it will be the end of the world, but rather, the end of an era. Based on many things that have been happening, I'd actually be surprised if they were wrong.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 8:17:27 AM
At 3/15/2012 1:01:52 AM, Veridas wrote:

While your statement is true, it isn't absolutely. The Mayans did use circular time periods not dissimilar to, just much longer than our year.

I also feel the need to point out that these people thought human beings were made of frickin' corn, so I doubt their astrological abilities were all that amazing. So forgive me for not being completely enthralled.

To simplify it, what the other posters were indicating is that the calendar we currently use bases the Earth's orbit around the Sun on a different measurement than the Mayan's, who also took several other orbits into account. Therefore, their calendars are vastly different from the one's we use, which are so significantly flawed, we must add a day to our shortest month every four years to roughly accomodate the error -- this year was one such year. Accordingly, the fact that their "end of times" lands on some specific date on our calendar is purely incidental, while the fact that it lands on the Winter Solstice likely is not (and is instead, intentional).
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 12:29:43 PM
At 3/15/2012 8:17:27 AM, Ren wrote:
At 3/15/2012 1:01:52 AM, Veridas wrote:

To simplify it, what the other posters were indicating is that the calendar we currently use bases the Earth's orbit around the Sun on a different measurement than the Mayan's, who also took several other orbits into account. Therefore, their calendars are vastly different from the one's we use, which are so significantly flawed, we must add a day to our shortest month every four years to roughly accomodate the error -- this year was one such year. Accordingly, the fact that their "end of times" lands on some specific date on our calendar is purely incidental, while the fact that it lands on the Winter Solstice likely is not (and is instead, intentional).

I'm aware of the differentiation, I'm also aware of the meaning behind the counterpoint. The point I'm offering in return is that the Mayan Calender has similarities (such as cyclical systems) enough for us to draw equivolents between the dates their calendar speaks of and the calendar we use. Therefore, while he has a point, the Mayan Calendar is stll just that.

Also, again. Made of corn. What the f*ck?
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 2:10:41 PM
At 3/15/2012 12:29:43 PM, Veridas wrote:

I'm aware of the differentiation, I'm also aware of the meaning behind the counterpoint. The point I'm offering in return is that the Mayan Calender has similarities (such as cyclical systems) enough for us to draw equivolents between the dates their calendar speaks of and the calendar we use. Therefore, while he has a point, the Mayan Calendar is stll just that.

?

Seriously?

You consider everything cyclic equivalent?

Menstruation = metabolism?

Yikes.
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 1:49:58 AM
At 3/16/2012 2:10:41 PM, Ren wrote:
At 3/15/2012 12:29:43 PM, Veridas wrote:

?

Seriously?

You consider everything cyclic equivalent?

Menstruation = metabolism?

Yikes.

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really hope you're trying to troll.