Jump to topic:

BC and BCE

seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 1:41:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What do you think should be used: BC (before Christ) or BCE(Before Common Era)? I think that BCE should be used, because I don't think anyone knows the date of Jesus birth. If we go by the calendar, it's January 1, but if we go by Christmas it's December 25, and if we go by the Bible it's somewhere around May. Any thoughts?
Mak-zie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 1:49:31 PM
As kind of an old-fashioned person, I will always use BC because I always have. And just because we don't know the approximate date doesn't mean we shouldn't use it, it just means it won't be exact. BCE screws up time for me.
"Never underestimate the power human stupidity." Robert A. Heinlein
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 1:52:37 PM
Considering that the Gregorian calender was created by the Catholic Church, BC should be used.

The secularists and atheists can make their own if they have a problem with acknowledging a reference to a historical figure in the calender.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 1:54:41 PM
At 3/18/2012 1:52:37 PM, thett3 wrote:
Considering that the Gregorian calender was created by the Catholic Church, BC should be used.

The secularists and atheists can make their own if they have a problem with acknowledging a reference to a historical figure in the calender.:

Yeah, not really a source of contention for me. I may not be religious, but I'm not an uptight secularist either. As long as we all use the same timeframe, so as to mitigate confusion, doens't really matter to me.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PartamRuhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 1:59:35 PM
At 3/18/2012 1:54:41 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

The secularists and atheists can make their own if they have a problem with acknowledging a reference to a historical figure in the calender.:

Yeah, not really a source of contention for me. I may not be religious, but I'm not an uptight secularist either. As long as we all use the same timeframe, so as to mitigate confusion, doens't really matter to me.

Same. We could call it B.M....before macaroni...and I would be like "coolio".
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 2:00:22 PM

I agree, and if we had a secular calendar I wouldn't object to using it. It just irks me that these people have the gall to change the Christian calendar created by the Church just because they don't believe in the divinity of the figure it references.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 2:32:30 PM
womyn, BCE, disAbility-- idiocies, but harmless idiocies.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 8:03:17 PM
At 3/18/2012 2:00:22 PM, thett3 wrote:

I agree, and if we had a secular calendar I wouldn't object to using it. It just irks me that these people have the gall to change the Christian calendar created by the Church just because they don't believe in the divinity of the figure it references.

Where did I say that it was because I don't believe in the divinity of Jesus?
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 8:06:25 PM
Also, this isn't really a big deal at all to me. I could care less if it's BC instead of BCE. I was just wondering about what you thought.
Utopian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2012 12:11:14 AM
I think we need a totally new calendar anyway, with the same number of days in every month, so every year is structured the exact same way. Thirteen months, with 28 days in each month, exactly four weeks per month, for a total of 364 days.

At the end of the year would be one day, or two on leap year, that are not in a month, and do not have a day of the week, and are just holidays for everyone.

Nice, clean, simple, and easy!

And the year should start on the first day of spring, not in the middle of winter. Spring just makes poetic sense as a time to begin things.