In a society where one can't speak lies

Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 10:59:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/22/2012 10:50:16 AM, Indophile wrote:
Can there be a thing called an economy? How will it work?

It depends on whether there would be a monetary system. One could also discard that and base their economy on production and resources. It's conceivable with or with lies in either case, but a credit system is not.

What do you propose el lieu of an economy to drive progress and production?

I mean, without consumption, you have no need for further production. You realize that, right?

The reason why we have a consumption-based economy is because, without consumption, there would be no demand left to drive increases in supply.

So, essentially, everyone would have to give up chasing the mechanical rabbit, and instead, do things because they understand that if they work together toward a common goal, they will achieve enormous things. Large amounts of people would need to discard infantile negative emotions like greed, jealousy, and pride, and simply work together.

I propose that people are too infantile for that. As ingenious as we are, we can certainly figure out a way to live synergistically with our natural ecosystem, rather than building systems separate of it; then, work together and actually cooperate in order to achieve incredible things. This would negate the need for capitalism, slavery, and other types of forced cooperation based on an imaginary system that we all contrive together and choose to cooperate with instead.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 11:00:54 AM

You have something I want. I have something you want. We trade.

What does lying have to do with it?
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 1:23:36 PM
At 3/22/2012 10:59:33 AM, Ren wrote:

It depends on whether there would be a monetary system. One could also discard that and base their economy on production and resources. It's conceivable with or with lies in either case, but a credit system is not.

That's the whole point, isnt' it. Will there be a monetary system if one can't speak a lie?

What do you propose el lieu of an economy to drive progress and production?

I mean, without consumption, you have no need for further production. You realize that, right?

The reason why we have a consumption-based economy is because, without consumption, there would be no demand left to drive increases in supply.

So, essentially, everyone would have to give up chasing the mechanical rabbit, and instead, do things because they understand that if they work together toward a common goal, they will achieve enormous things. Large amounts of people would need to discard infantile negative emotions like greed, jealousy, and pride, and simply work together.

I propose that people are too infantile for that. As ingenious as we are, we can certainly figure out a way to live synergistically with our natural ecosystem, rather than building systems separate of it; then, work together and actually cooperate in order to achieve incredible things. This would negate the need for capitalism, slavery, and other types of forced cooperation based on an imaginary system that we all contrive together and choose to cooperate with instead.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 2:29:59 PM
At 3/22/2012 11:00:54 AM, drafterman wrote:

Because marketting is lies. Lying and cheating to favor yourself in a market, exaggerating claims about your product and its performance, reliability, durability or safety gives you an edge because you didn't have to actually spend the resources to make your product perform better, work more reliay, last longer and be safe. All the free market religion says is that those who develop a price advantage -- by fluffing, lying cheating and scheming instead of genuinely investing in the quality of design and manufacturing -- you will do better than a business person who acts honestly. Free market essentially ensures cheaters gaming the system will win over honest hard workers.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 2:54:47 PM
At 3/22/2012 2:29:59 PM, PervRat wrote:
At 3/22/2012 11:00:54 AM, drafterman wrote:

Because marketting is lies. Lying and cheating to favor yourself in a market, exaggerating claims about your product and its performance, reliability, durability or safety gives you an edge because you didn't have to actually spend the resources to make your product perform better, work more reliay, last longer and be safe. All the free market religion says is that those who develop a price advantage -- by fluffing, lying cheating and scheming instead of genuinely investing in the quality of design and manufacturing -- you will do better than a business person who acts honestly. Free market essentially ensures cheaters gaming the system will win over honest hard workers.

I think that could come off as not telling the full truth, or bending the truth.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-