Jump to topic:

America the Beautiful--a Better Anthem?

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 7:21:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm of the belief that, minus the references to God, America the Beautiful would be a much better anthem to represent the country.

While The Star Spangled Banner implied the steadfastness and perserverance of the country, America the Beautiful is much more timeless, and more fit as an anthem--something to herald the greatness of America. It praises the country from the landscape to, in the last verses, our founding ideology of liberty and freedom.

Just a random thought.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 7:22:50 PM
And also, it sounds like an actual anthem too.

Well, in that video, it sounds a bit more like a cult of children, but that video was the best version of it I could find.

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 5:54:26 AM
At 3/24/2012 7:22:50 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Well, in that video, it sounds a bit more like a cult of children, but that video was the best version of it I could find.

I like this one better.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 6:13:31 AM
At 3/25/2012 5:54:26 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/24/2012 7:22:50 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I like this one better.

Russia kept the old anthem?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 7:50:43 AM
At 3/25/2012 6:16:22 AM, innomen wrote:
I'm not sure why the references to God is a problem. Is it really so hard to cope with the mere mention of God?

No. I can definitely cope with that. However, I feel that an anthem is more of a representation of the country to the world. And one of the things we like to advertize, or celebrate, is freedom of religion. So to me it's just a bit odd to talk about how we hope that "God sheds His light on [us]." It's just a bit off. Looking back, I personally could and would have the song unchanged as an anthem.

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 11:51:57 AM
At 3/25/2012 7:50:43 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 3/25/2012 6:16:22 AM, innomen wrote:
I'm not sure why the references to God is a problem. Is it really so hard to cope with the mere mention of God?

No. I can definitely cope with that. However, I feel that an anthem is more of a representation of the country to the world. And one of the things we like to advertize, or celebrate, is freedom of religion. So to me it's just a bit odd to talk about how we hope that "God sheds His light on [us]." It's just a bit off. Looking back, I personally could and would have the song unchanged as an anthem.

Not everyone translates the freedom from a state supported religion to a state supported Atheism. Shouldn't an anthem have universal themes? I could possibly agree if the clear majority of people were Atheists and the anthem reflects that.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 1:58:57 PM
I made a thread like this in september on the 9/11 anniversary. I completely agree
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 2:04:06 PM
The Star Spangled Banner is screechy and reaches high notes that the vast majority of singers can't adequately handle. The lyrics are decent, but too specific to the particular battle in which it was written, and unspecific to the modern country as a whole. The melody itself is emotionally removed and flat.

You ever notice that the communists have the most beautiful national anthems? East Germany and U.S.S.R are impressive.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 2:13:05 PM
At 3/25/2012 2:04:06 PM, 000ike wrote:
The Star Spangled Banner is screechy and reaches high notes that the vast majority of singers can't adequately handle. The lyrics are decent, but too specific to the particular battle in which it was written, and unspecific to the modern country as a whole. The melody itself is emotionally removed and flat.

You ever notice that the communists have the most beautiful national anthems? East Germany and U.S.S.R are impressive.

We have addressed this. Any song can sound powerful and awesome ase long as you have a good chorus of singers, and a good band. Derp.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 2:15:42 PM
At 3/25/2012 2:13:05 PM, OberHerr wrote:

We have addressed this. Any song can sound powerful and awesome ase long as you have a good chorus of singers, and a good band. Derp.

How does that make any sense. The Star Spangled Banner is sung with top notch choruses and full orchestras yet still produces an inferior melody. The beauty lies not in the voices, but in the tune. The tune is USSR and East Germany is hypnotic and transcendent.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 2:20:40 PM
At 3/25/2012 2:15:42 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/25/2012 2:13:05 PM, OberHerr wrote:

How does that make any sense. The Star Spangled Banner is sung with top notch choruses and full orchestras yet still produces an inferior melody. The beauty lies not in the voices, but in the tune. The tune is USSR and East Germany is hypnotic and transcendent.

Opinion, I guess. I'm thinking your just hating. :P

Not really gonna debate this, mainly because it's almost entirely opinion.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 2:51:12 PM
I like our National Anthem. We were created in the process of killing the British. It makes sense that our Anthem reflects that.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.