Jump to topic:

This just makes me mad

gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 11:34:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Having a conversation like this when a man is in his house cutting off his children and burning the house down should be criminal :/ What the hell was the operator thinking???

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

It seems like the conversation is out of some comedy movie or something. This part is actually infuriating.

...SOCIAL WORKER: He's got the kids in the house and he won't let me in. It's a supervised visit.

911 OPERATOR: I understand. Whose house is it?

SOCIAL WORKER: Josh Powell.

911 OPERATOR: OK. You don't live there, right?

SOCIAL WORKER: No. No. I'm contracted to the state to provide supervised visitation.

911 OPERATOR: I see. OK. And who is there to exercise the visitation?

SOCIAL WORKER: I am, uh, and the visit is with Josh Powell. And he's the husband of ...

911 OPERATOR: And who's supervising?

SOCIAL WORKER: I supervise.

911 OPERATOR: So you supervise and you're doing the visit? You supervise yourself?

SOCIAL WORKER: I supervise myself. I'm the supervisor here.

911 OPERATOR: Wait a minute. If it's a supervised visit you can't supervise yourself if you're the visitor.

SOCIAL WORKER: I supervise myself. I'm the supervisor for a supervised visit.

911 OPERATOR: OK, but aren't you the one making the visit? Or is there another parent there that you're supervising?

SOCIAL WORKER: I'm the one that supervises. I pick up the kids at their grandparents'.

911 OPERATOR: Yes. And then who visits with the children?

SOCIAL WORKER: Josh Powell.

911 OPERATOR: OK. So, you're supposed to be there to supervise Josh Powell's visit with the children?...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 12:14:46 PM
I doubt you or I will ever live in a world where everyone can be protected from each and every determined insane person.

Count your blessings every day.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 12:21:42 PM
Wow, the social worker has some serious restraint. I would have gone ballistic on the operator.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 12:27:29 PM
What the hell?! Was that person on some serious drugs or what?

I'm with paradigm. I would have lost my temper about the third time I'd have to clarify what was going on.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 1:29:15 AM
This took place about 10 miles from my house, seriously. :/

I feel terrible for the murdered wife and grandchildren's family, but I also feel the social worker deserves a lot of thought and consideration. She tried to save the lives of those children.

The situation was she was dropping the children off per Powell's visitation rights with them, but he grabbed them, slammed shut and locked the door which was a very disturbing change of behavior that immediately set the social worker off and lead to that panicked 911 call. Based on her experience and observation, something terrible was about to happen ... and she was right. Moments after grabbing the kids and slamming and locking the door on the social worker, Josh took a hatchet to the kids, then killed himself and the kids after having soaked the house, himself and the kids in gasoline and burning them all to death.

I get fuming mad when I hear folk, mainly conservatives, rail about the evils of government and how everything needs to be downsized. Case workers, whether its with Child Protective Services or the unemployment department, work very hard and take a lot of crap from both abusive parents and the public in general.

This social worker, I can only imagine, is devastated. However much she tried to do, and she did more than anyone to try and save those kids, she will probably feel guilty for not doing more, even though rationally she did all she could do. The family deserves a lot of sympathy, of course, but I hope people think to admire the strength and sympathize with the pain of the social worker, too.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:06:39 AM
I know. I don't actually know the specifics about the case, but from all the internet news articles and everything, I just cannot understand why everyone is blaming the social worker. Yes she was vague, and a little confused, but then that's what you're supposed to be. She told him everything one possibly could- about the gasoline smell, the weird behavior of the father, that she was scared for their lives.

AND the more infuriating thing is they are defending the DISPATCHER!!! "he couldn't know what was on the other line, how serious the situation was..." Give me a break. That's his job.

I could never imagine Americans siding with the police on this one. Maybe it's some internet conspiracy. At least, I hope so.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 9:04:20 AM
I get fuming mad when I hear folk, mainly conservatives, rail about the evils of government and how everything needs to be downsized. Case workers, whether its with Child Protective Services or the unemployment department, work very hard and take a lot of crap from both abusive parents and the public in general.:

What does this non-sequitur have to do with the discussion? Smaller gov't =/= no government. Yes, the CPS case worker was an employee of the government... but so was the dispatcher. Your point?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 2:33:03 PM
At 4/9/2012 9:04:20 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I get fuming mad when I hear folk, mainly conservatives, rail about the evils of government and how everything needs to be downsized. Case workers, whether its with Child Protective Services or the unemployment department, work very hard and take a lot of crap from both abusive parents and the public in general.:

What does this non-sequitur have to do with the discussion? Smaller gov't =/= no government. Yes, the CPS case worker was an employee of the government... but so was the dispatcher. Your point?

I made it. Smaller government = fewer case workers and often no case workers, no public employees to help the actual public, everything turned over to corporations. There is already a shortage of case workers, community health centers, and more and more get shut down by conservatives as 'wasteful spending.' That you would call it a non-sequitur that a government case worker trying to save the lives of actual children in her charge being endangered by conservative budget axes rather proves my point on how oblivious conservatives are to the dangers of their actions. You don't care nor think about the costs of shaving a dollar here or there, of turning over management of civil needs to corporations.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 6:53:23 PM
This was a gov't vs gov't issue. Hardly a case that gov't spending makes a lick of sense.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 8:58:55 AM
At 4/13/2012 8:51:02 AM, amberfairygirl wrote:
Has the world gone mad or something...what is wrong with people?

I know it's inappropriate but I had to
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler