Jump to topic:

Softdrinks should be sold in school

yumijanine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 8:04:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I need points for a school debate GOOD ONES strong and very solid.

Heres the catch: I need PRO points so people who are gonna post counterpoints can you kindly not post.

http://www.appetiteforprofit.com... <--- This website wants me to fail my speech class. It has counterpoints for every single point that I COULD mention.

I KNOW it's a lost cause,but people help me please just create a strong argument it is getting very depressing failing speech class every time, just because I wasn't able to reply to their points.

I am down to my knees begging all the skilled debaters out there for help!
LB628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 10:34:57 PM
I can think of several reasons.
1st: Why shouldn't they be? There is no restriction of the selling of soft drinks outside of school, so I see no reasons to restrict it inside of school.
2nd: Why is the school justified in limiting both how kids choose to spend their money, and the ability of companies to sell things them?
3rd: Soft drinks contain high levels of sugar, and in some, caffeine. Both substances help students stay awake and alert, facilitating the learning process.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 10:42:08 PM
Banning it teaches kids to create black markets.

That can be a point for Pro or Con, depending on how you want to run with it :).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 10:44:32 PM
PRO would be that the government/school board can get money for allowing the machines on school property. Plus the whole "freedom to spend your money how you wish" angle.

CON would be that soft drinks are blatantly unhealthy even in moderation, and that the school board has an obligation to promote health lifestyles.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 10:56:51 PM
Btw, what kind of school debate is it where you don't have to anticipate the opponent's arguments? lol.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 11:15:08 PM
That website has some bad arguments. Other people may offer arguments for you, but I will instead counteract some of the arguments made on http://www.appetiteforprofit.com... There are many arguments, so I will ignore the downright stupid ones.

Rebuttals are by the site, responses are by me.

Schools Need the Money from Soda Sales
--Rebuttal: "Schools should not be making a profit at the expense of children's health."
Response: Sodas taken in moderation have no health detriments.
--Rebuttal: "Children were not meant to fund their education with their own pocket change."
Response: This is a classic "meant to" argument. It sounds good on the surface, but it's completely unsupported.
--Rebuttal: "Many schools are making as much or even more money selling healthier options such as 100% juice and water. (Examples include California, Maine, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania.)"
Response: I find this really hard to believe.
--Many other arguments rely on the false premise that soda companies are "donating" money and that that somehow matters.

It's all About Choices / Children Need to Learn How to Choose
--Rebuttal: We restrict childrens' choices to protect them.
Response: Soda is not that bad. Seriously.
--Many arguments rely on the false premise that if soda is offered, no healthy alternatives will be offered.

====

None of the other arguments are worth responding to.
LB628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2009 4:56:58 PM
Also, all of the arguments about obesity are non-unique. I do not think that they could show that the providing of soft drinks in school is a primary cause of obesity, because of the wide availability of soft drinks, and highly unhealthy foods outside of school.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2009 8:59:35 PM
At 7/18/2009 4:56:58 PM, LB628 wrote:
Also, all of the arguments about obesity are non-unique. I do not think that they could show that the providing of soft drinks in school is a primary cause of obesity, because of the wide availability of soft drinks, and highly unhealthy foods outside of school.

It isn't so much as soft drinks in school being the cause of obesity, as it is the idea that the schools are promoting something that is fairly unhealthy for you.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2009 10:25:09 AM
At 7/18/2009 8:59:35 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/18/2009 4:56:58 PM, LB628 wrote:

It isn't so much as soft drinks in school being the cause of obesity, as it is the idea that the schools are promoting something that is fairly unhealthy for you.

Selling and promoting are two different things. If they were blatantly advertising soda, maybe, but if it's just a soda machine in the corner of the cafeteria, they aren't really promoting it.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2009 10:31:49 AM
Stick a picture of a fatty on the soda machine if you don't want it promoted. :)
Achidnagar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2009 4:40:56 PM
Point out that schools should be entirely consistent in regulating health if they think it is their job to do so. Unless a school has 90 minutes of Phys. Ed. every day (recommended amount by Canada Health, I don't know about other countries), they are not promoting enough physical activity. Clearly, they just see banning soft drinks as an easy way to make schools look health-conscious.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2009 7:12:40 PM
At 7/20/2009 10:25:09 AM, wjmelements wrote:
Selling and promoting are two different things. If they were blatantly advertising soda, maybe, but if it's just a soda machine in the corner of the cafeteria, they aren't really promoting it.

Technically they are, because usually those machines will have the giant Coca-Cola signs on them, glaring for all to see. Even the presence of the machines in the open is promotion. I'd think even the presence of the cans would be.

By serving the drinks, as well, they would be promoting it.