Jump to topic:

How do you define society?

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:50:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I was writing up a debate challenge, and I find it hard to think of how I would define society. So I was prompted to pose the question, how do you define the word "society'?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 12:30:56 AM
At 4/10/2012 11:50:42 PM, phantom wrote:
I was writing up a debate challenge, and I find it hard to think of how I would define society. So I was prompted to pose the question, how do you define the word "society'?

the herd
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 1:13:12 AM
At 4/10/2012 11:50:42 PM, phantom wrote:

i guess i would say it is a group of people that are connected through the governmental system that hounds over them.

Really, meh, that is more of a national society and in a general sense, society can represent any group of people. so all the people living right now would be humanity's current society.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 1:16:48 AM
1) The aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community.

2) The community of people living in a particular region and having shared customs, laws, and organizations.

Personally, I just think of 'society' as any bunch of individuals.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 8:56:35 AM
At 4/11/2012 1:16:48 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
1) The aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community.

2) The community of people living in a particular region and having shared customs, laws, and organizations.

Personally, I just think of 'society' as any bunch of individuals.

#2 is good, though I might smooth it out with "a group of people..." rather than "the community of people." This is because "community" is often a synonym for "society" (usually a smaller society). I might also toss in something regarding interaction, since I personally believe that is a key feature to be considered a society.

I typically think of it as "A group of people who interact economically and/or socially with each other." As such, the stronger and more common the interaction, the stronger the society. Heck, I'd almost toss out "economically" and just do socially. Since if you go to a store to buy your groceries (economic interaction), but never bother to talk or get to know the person behind the cash register (no social interaction), the feeling of societal connection is very minimal (though it isn't absent).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 10:56:39 PM
Good question. The meaning is sensitive to context, to the dictionary says:

1. an organized group of persons associated together for religious, benevolent, cultural, scientific, political, patriotic, or other purposes.
2. a body of individuals living as members of a community; community.
3. the body of human beings generally, associated or viewed as members of a community: the evolution of human society.
4. a highly structured system of human organization for large-scale community living that normally furnishes protection, continuity, security, and a national identity for its members: American society.
5. such a system characterized by its dominant economic class or form: middle-class society; industrial society.

Far a debate, the definition would be dependent of the subject of the debate. I'm guessing that debate topics would tend to concern the effects of society on an individual. For that purpose, maybe definition 2, or it could be more closely specified as "the other individuals and their products with whom a person interacts." I put in "their products" to cover books, television, and so forth where the interaction is not personal.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:07:39 PM
Vague term people use when they don't want to specify the set of persons in question.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2012 5:48:30 PM
At 4/12/2012 11:07:39 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Vague term people use when they don't want to specify the set of persons in question.

I agree. A setup for semantic disaster.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts