Total Posts:32|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Racial Humor.

Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2009 4:52:37 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
It's no secret that minorities can make fun of white people, but white people can't (overtly) make fun of minorities. That's bogus. At least the "Only Jews can make fun of Jews" or "Only black people can call themselves nigga's" rules are ones that have to do with identity; In the case of minorities making fun of white people, those are explicitly racist jokes toward people of Other origin.

I decided to re-watch S1 of one of my faaavorite shows today, The Boondocks, which I love because they definitely don't discriminate and make fun of people of all races. Heh. It just got me thinking though of how much hullabaloo would be made if the jokes were the other way around (two little white boys making racist jokes about black people). Now I personally love racist humor so I think everyone should be available to be made fun of equally ; )
President of DDO
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2009 5:01:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I don't like racist humour, because I find it vulgar and pointless.

But, that being said, everyone should be allowed to make such jokes, regardless of race and etc. Such humour could possibly help people mellow out and tolerate each other more - possibly. There should be no restrictions on it though, as it is only humour, and not intended to further hate.

But, that being said again, you are dealing with a lot of grievances from the past. Remember, the majority of minorities are generations that survived through an era of racist attacks and legislation. I can see why they find such jokes directed at them harmful, and ones directed at Caucasians not.

The younger generations are growing out of this, which means that eventually, society will no longer care and everyone will make fun of everyone without the consequences we see now. But, until then, society will be stuck with the way it is now.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2009 5:02:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/22/2009 4:52:37 PM, theLwerd wrote:
It's no secret that minorities can make fun of white people, but white people can't (overtly) make fun of minorities. That's bogus. At least the "Only Jews can make fun of Jews" or "Only black people can call themselves nigga's" rules are ones that have to do with identity; In the case of minorities making fun of white people, those are explicitly racist jokes toward people of Other origin.

I decided to re-watch S1 of one of my faaavorite shows today, The Boondocks, which I love because they definitely don't discriminate and make fun of people of all races. Heh. It just got me thinking though of how much hullabaloo would be made if the jokes were the other way around (two little white boys making racist jokes about black people). Now I personally love racist humor so I think everyone should be available to be made fun of equally ; )

I just read this, and I have but one thing to say.

I love you.

But really, it does bug me how it's acceptable for minorities to poke fun at whites, and use names like 'cracker' or 'honky' or just plain "whitey", yet if I say anything other than "African-American" or "Latin-American", etc., I put myself at risk for a drive-by. Terrible society we live in, I guess.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2009 5:07:09 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Volkov, you should watch The Boondocks lol. Hopefully that will change your mind about racist humor. Keep in mind that I'm not advocating for people to walk around making tasteless remarks or seriously offending an individual(s). Buuut... take a look at the first two minutes of Season 1, Episode 1 of the show:
President of DDO
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2009 5:12:41 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/22/2009 5:07:09 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Volkov, you should watch The Boondocks lol. Hopefully that will change your mind about racist humor. Keep in mind that I'm not advocating for people to walk around making tasteless remarks or seriously offending an individual(s). Buuut... take a look at the first two minutes of Season 1, Episode 1 of the show:

I've seen the Boondocks, and it is a very good show.

I do also say or laugh at the occasional joke, but ones that aren't vulgar and seem to be teetering on the edge. Regardless though, if I laugh or make the joke, I do feel that it is a little bit pointless. We're all the same species - who cares really?
iamadragon
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2009 5:12:54 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/22/2009 4:52:37 PM, theLwerd wrote:
The Boondocks, which I love because they definitely don't discriminate and make fun of people of all races. Heh. It just got me thinking though of how much hullabaloo would be made if the jokes were the other way around (two little white boys making racist jokes about black people).

Before I read any more of this thread, I want to provide a short devil's advocate (sort of) argument for why it might be more acceptable to have two little black kids making racist comments than to have two white kids doing the same.

Has it become more a part of urban black culture to see the world in racial terms? For kids (basically all African-American) who grow up in ghetto, project, gritty settings, where the effects racial inequalities throughout history are most apparent, it's understandable why they would act that way.

Similarly, I just doubt that any white kids grow up in that kind of a situation.

Does that make sense?
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2009 7:14:21 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Why are you complaining, Lwerd? The PC crowd won't complain if you make a racist joke. If you do you can just play the lesbian card, and poof, you are a "Everybody be nice to me or you are automatically banished from sounding hip and modern and progressive" minority too!

^_^
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
LB628
Posts: 176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2009 8:55:40 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/22/2009 5:12:54 PM, iamadragon wrote:
At 7/22/2009 4:52:37 PM, theLwerd wrote:
The Boondocks, which I love because they definitely don't discriminate and make fun of people of all races. Heh. It just got me thinking though of how much hullabaloo would be made if the jokes were the other way around (two little white boys making racist jokes about black people).

Before I read any more of this thread, I want to provide a short devil's advocate (sort of) argument for why it might be more acceptable to have two little black kids making racist comments than to have two white kids doing the same.

Has it become more a part of urban black culture to see the world in racial terms? For kids (basically all African-American) who grow up in ghetto, project, gritty settings, where the effects racial inequalities throughout history are most apparent, it's understandable why they would act that way.

Similarly, I just doubt that any white kids grow up in that kind of a situation.

Does that make sense?

Not particularly. The way you are raised is not a good justification for your actions. While it may have something to do with determining them, it does not excuse them, or make them acceptable.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2009 9:59:26 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
People who can't take racist jokes need to grow some skin.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
untitled_entity
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2009 10:26:55 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I definitely with Ragnar, and theLwerd. Racist jokes may be vulgar and offensive to some but the truth is most of the racist/stereotypical jokes are based off of exactly that, stereotypes. The reason stereotypes came about is because people found some truth in them somewhere, so generally the jokes that are spoken have some truth to them.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 6:56:10 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/22/2009 9:59:26 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
People who can't take racist jokes need to grow some skin.

Which COLOUR skin? It's not the 'humour' so much as being RACIST. (thinking in terms of race)

How about people of mixed race?
At what point on the colour chart does one become black? (they look brown to me)
Or does one become white? (we look pinky yellow to me)

Matthew12:36
B
U
T
I say to you that for
E
V
E
R
Y
idle word men may speak, they
W
I
L
L
give an account of it on the
D
A
Y
of judgment.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Lifeisgood
Posts: 295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 12:54:29 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/22/2009 5:01:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
I don't like racist humour, because I find it vulgar and pointless.

But, that being said, everyone should be allowed to make such jokes, regardless of race and etc. Such humour could possibly help people mellow out and tolerate each other more - possibly. There should be no restrictions on it though, as it is only humour, and not intended to further hate.

But, that being said again, you are dealing with a lot of grievances from the past. Remember, the majority of minorities are generations that survived through an era of racist attacks and legislation. I can see why they find such jokes directed at them harmful, and ones directed at Caucasians not.

The younger generations are growing out of this, which means that eventually, society will no longer care and everyone will make fun of everyone without the consequences we see now. But, until then, society will be stuck with the way it is now.

Dang. Why does it seem as though every thought of mine has already been thought by another? All of my ideas, theories, and beliefs are not at all original, I have come to see.

Anyway, very well said, Volkov. I agree with you absolutely. I don't have anything to add to your statement.

I would like to say one thing though; until recently, I didn't even know that racism still existed. I speak truly.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 4:57:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Some jokes based on race or other cultural stereotypes are funny, while others are offensive.

Most are neither and a very small proportion are both.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 8:04:28 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/23/2009 6:56:10 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 7/22/2009 9:59:26 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
People who can't take racist jokes need to grow some skin.

Which COLOUR skin? It's not the 'humour' so much as being RACIST. (thinking in terms of race)

How about people of mixed race?
At what point on the colour chart does one become black? (they look brown to me)
Or does one become white? (we look pinky yellow to me)

Matthew12:36
B
U
T
I say to you that for
E
V
E
R
Y
idle word men may speak, they
W
I
L
L
give an account of it on the
D
A
Y
of judgment.


Oh sorry, by skin, I meant balls.

You better not come back asking me what color balls or what type of balls.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
iamadragon
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 5:24:00 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/22/2009 8:55:40 PM, LB628 wrote:
At 7/22/2009 5:12:54 PM, iamadragon wrote:
At 7/22/2009 4:52:37 PM, theLwerd wrote:
The Boondocks, which I love because they definitely don't discriminate and make fun of people of all races. Heh. It just got me thinking though of how much hullabaloo would be made if the jokes were the other way around (two little white boys making racist jokes about black people).

Before I read any more of this thread, I want to provide a short devil's advocate (sort of) argument for why it might be more acceptable to have two little black kids making racist comments than to have two white kids doing the same.

Has it become more a part of urban black culture to see the world in racial terms? For kids (basically all African-American) who grow up in ghetto, project, gritty settings, where the effects racial inequalities throughout history are most apparent, it's understandable why they would act that way.

Similarly, I just doubt that any white kids grow up in that kind of a situation.

Does that make sense?


Not particularly. The way you are raised is not a good justification for your actions. While it may have something to do with determining them, it does not excuse them, or make them acceptable.

When you live in a project or a ghetto, can't you feel some kind of resentment? I'm also explaining their mentalities, which is directly a product of how they're raised.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 5:29:05 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I agree with Rezz that people who get offended need to grow some skill and just let it go.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 7:09:00 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 5:29:05 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I agree with Rezz that people who get offended need to grow some skill and just let it go.

It definitely depends on the offense.
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 9:31:48 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Why is Stevie Wonder always smiling?

He doesn't know he's black.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2009 12:36:43 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/23/2009 8:04:28 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 7/23/2009 6:56:10 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 7/22/2009 9:59:26 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
People who can't take racist jokes need to grow some skin.

Which COLOUR skin? It's not the 'humour' so much as being RACIST. (thinking in terms of race)

How about people of mixed race?
At what point on the colour chart does one become black? (they look brown to me)
Or does one become white? (we look pinky yellow to me)

Matthew12:36
B
U
T
I say to you that for
E
V
E
R
Y
idle word men may speak, they
W
I
L
L
give an account of it on the
D
A
Y
of judgment.


Oh sorry, by skin, I meant balls.

You better not come back asking me what color balls or what type of balls.

*oh sorry I can't defend that position so here's another EVEN dafter one*
The Cross.. the Cross.
TheSkeptic
Posts: 1,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2009 12:53:53 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Bah, it can be offensive but when does it matter whether or not something is offensive? If you don't like it, don't watch or get near it.

That said, I do like racial humor to an extent. Many times I find it regurgitated, but comedians like Dave Chappelle (all hail) can make it much more funny :).
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 4:21:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/28/2009 12:53:53 AM, TheSkeptic wrote:
Bah, it can be offensive but when does it matter whether or not something is offensive? If you don't like it, don't watch or get near it.

That said, I do like racial humor to an extent. Many times I find it regurgitated, but comedians like Dave Chappelle (all hail) can make it much more funny :).

" If I saw that (referring to a 'jazz' figurine in a thrift shop) in a white persons house I would be offended "
-Dave Chappelle.

Seems humour only works ONE WAY for some people!
The Cross.. the Cross.
AnimeFanTony
Posts: 1,129
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 6:08:23 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I love racial jokes and I'm black!!!

What the difference between a black man and a park bench?
The park bench can support a small family!

What did God say when he made the first black person?
Crap! I burnt one of them.

What did God say when he made the second black person?
Darn it I did it again.

This is coming from a black person. I make fun of all races.
Ownership of this account has been transferred from JCMT to I-am-a-panda.
Updates of the next JCMT puppet account pending.
youguysaredouches
Posts: 122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 9:48:15 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/30/2009 6:08:23 PM, AnimeFanTony wrote:
I love racial jokes and I'm black!!!

What the difference between a black man and a park bench?
The park bench can support a small family!

What did God say when he made the first black person?
Crap! I burnt one of them.

What did God say when he made the second black person?
Darn it I did it again.

This is coming from a black person. I make fun of all races.

I like people who don't get offended by anything that involves race.
studentathletechristian8 - You may have your first online girlfriend

Me - I had a MySpace girlfriend, but it turned out to be a 45 year old guy friend.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2009 8:24:02 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/30/2009 6:08:23 PM, AnimeFanTony wrote:
I love racial jokes and I'm black!!!

What the difference between a black man and a park bench?
The park bench can support a small family!

What did God say when he made the first black person?
Crap! I burnt one of them.

What did God say when he made the second black person?
Darn it I did it again.

This is coming from a black person. I make fun of all races.

No, you're JustCallMeTarzan.. which makes you a VILE RACIST..
The Cross.. the Cross.
AnimeFanTony
Posts: 1,129
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2009 6:36:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/31/2009 8:24:02 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 8/30/2009 6:08:23 PM, AnimeFanTony wrote:
I love racial jokes and I'm black!!!

What the difference between a black man and a park bench?
The park bench can support a small family!

What did God say when he made the first black person?
Crap! I burnt one of them.

What did God say when he made the second black person?
Darn it I did it again.

This is coming from a black person. I make fun of all races.

No, you're JustCallMeTarzan.. which makes you a VILE RACIST..

But I'm also Usafkid so that makes it slightly more acceptable because it fits his personality. And since my AFT personality is a teenage black guy who acts more like a white guy he can be racist.
Ownership of this account has been transferred from JCMT to I-am-a-panda.
Updates of the next JCMT puppet account pending.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2009 6:42:54 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/31/2009 6:36:30 PM, AnimeFanTony wrote:
At 8/31/2009 8:24:02 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 8/30/2009 6:08:23 PM, AnimeFanTony wrote:
I love racial jokes and I'm black!!!

What the difference between a black man and a park bench?
The park bench can support a small family!

What did God say when he made the first black person?
Crap! I burnt one of them.

What did God say when he made the second black person?
Darn it I did it again.

This is coming from a black person. I make fun of all races.

No, you're JustCallMeTarzan.. which makes you a VILE RACIST..

But I'm also Usafkid so that makes it slightly more acceptable because it fits his personality. And since my AFT personality is a teenage black guy who acts more like a white guy he can be racist.

So, your actually Panda?
The Cross.. the Cross.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2009 7:15:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I think I'll go ahead and resurrect the humor part of the Racial Humor thread.

---

-What's the difference between a pizza and a black man?
>A pizza can feed a family of four.

-What do you call a bunch of white people running down a hill? Avalance!
-What do you call a bunch of black people running down a hill? Mudslide!
-What do you call a bunch of Mexicans running down a hill? JAIL BREAKK!!!

-Why did the Jews wander in the desert for 40 years?
>They were looking for a penny.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2009 7:31:02 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/31/2009 7:15:44 PM, Nags wrote:
I think I'll go ahead and resurrect the humor part of the Racial Humor thread.

---

-What's the difference between a pizza and a black man?
>A pizza can feed a family of four.

-What do you call a bunch of white people running down a hill? Avalance!
-What do you call a bunch of black people running down a hill? Mudslide!
-What do you call a bunch of Mexicans running down a hill? JAIL BREAKK!!!

-Why did the Jews wander in the desert for 40 years?
>They were looking for a penny.

The ONLY funny part of that post was your signature.. and it doesn't have anything to do with the colour of his skin!
The Cross.. the Cross.