Jump to topic:

So, tell me, why don't we eat bugs?

Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 11:26:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
They're easy, cheap, and quick to farm, nutritious, abundant, etc.

What is stopping us from eating insects now?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 11:32:41 PM
They are gross, thats all I got.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 11:33:51 PM
At 4/23/2012 11:32:41 PM, 16kadams wrote:

More thinking!
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 11:37:34 PM
At 4/23/2012 11:33:51 PM, Oryus wrote:

More thinking!

We might get sick?
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 11:48:03 PM
At 4/23/2012 11:37:34 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/23/2012 11:33:51 PM, Oryus wrote:

More thinking!

We might get sick?

We might get sick from eating any of the things we eat. We do sometimes. Sometimes we die from it.
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 11:49:27 PM
You may very well be right. It might be because we just really think they are very gross haha But even so- isn't that just as profound to think about? We're missing out on an agricultural goldmine because "eww...."? hahaha
:
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 11:54:26 PM
At 4/23/2012 11:49:27 PM, Oryus wrote:
You may very well be right. It might be because we just really think they are very gross haha But even so- isn't that just as profound to think about? We're missing out on an agricultural goldmine because "eww...."? hahaha

Once the bread runs out, I am gonna eat the new generation of moths that just hatched today... I hate those suckers... Anyway once the pizza ends, and society closes, yeah I will eat ants and crap like that.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2012 11:57:02 PM
Insects are the highest moral beings in our world. Eating one is a first class ticket to Hell.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 12:03:04 AM
At 4/23/2012 11:57:02 PM, thett3 wrote:
Insects are the highest moral beings in our world. Eating one is a first class ticket to Hell.

So many things to take into account....
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 12:05:49 AM
At 4/23/2012 11:54:26 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Once the bread runs out, I am gonna eat the new generation of moths that just hatched today... I hate those suckers... Anyway once the pizza ends, and society closes, yeah I will eat ants and crap like that.

Pizza deserves only the best.
:
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 12:07:26 AM
At 4/24/2012 12:05:49 AM, Oryus wrote:

What just happened......
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 12:07:59 AM
At 4/24/2012 12:07:26 AM, 16kadams wrote:

What just happened......

Just some love for the 'za, brah
:
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 12:14:53 AM
At 4/24/2012 12:07:59 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 4/24/2012 12:07:26 AM, 16kadams wrote:

What just happened......

Just some love for the 'za, brah

Ant pizza
SuburbiaSurvivor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 12:17:25 AM
P1. You are what you eat.
P2. The above statement, while not to be taking completely literally, should be taken somewhat literally.
P3. It is better to somewhat be an animal that is not a bug then to somewhat be a bug.
P4. It is immoral to not choose the better choice.
Conclusion: It is immoral to eat bugs.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 12:47:59 AM
At 4/24/2012 12:17:25 AM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
P1. You are what you eat.

That's funny, I don't remember eating a sexy beast this morning.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 12:50:54 AM
Simple answer, they are disgusting. I mean, we see them moving along in the sand, and dirt and everything, why would we want to put them into our mouths? Plus, they are small, so we don't really expect that us cleaning them would give the required thorough cleaning. Plus they are so small, how much hunger are they really going to satisfy? They are minute.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 12:58:01 AM
At 4/24/2012 12:50:54 AM, Cermank wrote:
Simple answer, they are disgusting.

Subjective, the answer is society is agaibst it for no reason. (personally I agree With you)

I mean, we see them moving along in the sand, and dirt and everything, why would we want to put them into our mouths? Plus, they are small, so we don't really expect that us cleaning them would give the required thorough cleaning. Plus they are so small, how much hunger are they really going to satisfy? They are minute.

Moths are the worst! They all hatched today, swarming my house.

Moth kill count: 13
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 1:08:40 AM
At 4/24/2012 12:58:01 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/24/2012 12:50:54 AM, Cermank wrote:
Simple answer, they are disgusting.

Subjective, the answer is society is agaibst it for no reason. (personally I agree With you)

Not no reason. They would be unhygienic. I mean, can you even clean them? Put them under tap water and they'd be amputated before you can even utter 'what?'

I mean, we see them moving along in the sand, and dirt and everything, why would we want to put them into our mouths? Plus, they are small, so we don't really expect that us cleaning them would give the required thorough cleaning. Plus they are so small, how much hunger are they really going to satisfy? They are minute.

Moths are the worst! They all hatched today, swarming my house.

Moth kill count: 13

You murderer XD
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 1:13:32 AM
In some cultures people do in fact recognize the nutritional value of insects and consume them as a regular part of their diet. In those cultures in which people find insects viscerally unappetizing, well, it's obviously just a cultural aversion.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 1:22:40 AM
At 4/23/2012 11:26:06 PM, Oryus wrote:

They're easy, cheap, and quick to farm, nutritious, abundant, etc.

What is stopping us from eating insects now?

Western cultural conditioning.

Quite a few other cultures eat bugs without a problem.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 11:50:40 AM
At 4/24/2012 1:13:32 AM, charleslb wrote:
In some cultures people do in fact recognize the nutritional value of insects and consume them as a regular part of their diet. In those cultures in which people find insects viscerally unappetizing, well, it's obviously just a cultural aversion.

It could very well be that those cultures just developed in places with tastier bugs.

I've eaten ants, not bad, but not very filling you know.

Other insects that have accidentally flown into my mouth, much less appealing.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 11:52:14 AM
At 4/24/2012 11:50:40 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 4/24/2012 1:13:32 AM, charleslb wrote:

It could very well be that those cultures just developed in places with tastier bugs.

I've eaten ants, not bad, but not very filling you know.

Other insects that have accidentally flown into my mouth, much less appealing.

We as Americans? We are trained to believe that bugs are gross and scary! This gives a market to pest control. zzzzing
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 12:15:19 PM
Okay, okay, so you got me thinking.

At first, I was like "UGH, wtf, gross, disgusting, what's the matter with you," while imagining people purchasing goody bags of salted roaches and sugared scarabs for a yummy treat.

But, then, I pictured someone purchasing a goody bag of salted chickens and sugared cows, and I started thinking a little differently.

I mean, prepared... in such a way that we don't' have to look at them as they are... I'm sure that insects would prove to be a viable food, indeed.

Here's the thing.

You think it can be done? Then, do it. That's the nature of a capitalistic society -- one of its few saving graces.

You think you're on to something? Do that shit, and if you're right, you're gonna be rich.
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 2:34:06 PM
At 4/24/2012 12:15:19 PM, Ren wrote:
Okay, okay, so you got me thinking.

At first, I was like "UGH, wtf, gross, disgusting, what's the matter with you," while imagining people purchasing goody bags of salted roaches and sugared scarabs for a yummy treat.

But, then, I pictured someone purchasing a goody bag of salted chickens and sugared cows, and I started thinking a little differently.

I mean, prepared... in such a way that we don't' have to look at them as they are... I'm sure that insects would prove to be a viable food, indeed.

Here's the thing.

You think it can be done? Then, do it. That's the nature of a capitalistic society -- one of its few saving graces.

You think you're on to something? Do that shit, and if you're right, you're gonna be rich.

Andrew Zimmern of 'Bizarre Foods' has already capitalized to a great extent on this idea.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 6:32:12 PM
At 4/24/2012 3:03:48 PM, tulle wrote:
Yummy... http://www.almightydad.com...

Exactly! I worked at a toy store for a while and they sold those little scorpion lollipops and different flavored crickets and mealworms. Those things sold like hotcakes (which I hear is pretty fast).

So there is a market for it as a novelty item but as far as dinner is concerned.... not so much.
: