Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

It's Small-Minded World, After all

s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 10:39:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have noticed debating others and in society, in general, the education of a person is betrayed by the objectiveness of one's response. Too often, in a debate forum, there seems, by some, the need to personalize a response. Either speaking of one's self as more of an intellectual, or giving the implication by speaking in the third person, or criticising others as being amateurs not schooled in the topic, at hand.

In Carl Jung's works on word association, he noticed the less educated a person was the more personal the response was, making greater use of first person pronouns and using, frequently, nouns and adjectives in the formation of sentences. Yet, the more educated subjects were more prone to using not only nouns and adjectives but other parts of speech, as well, furthermore, using greater impartiality in their responses.
CrazyPerson
Posts: 1,114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 11:45:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
One may make a multitude of shifts between tenses, based on the seriousness of the topic. I do that mumbojumbo like, all the time, man.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
CrazyPerson
Posts: 1,114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 11:45:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I mean, we cannot always be proper, can you?
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 12:22:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/25/2012 11:54:59 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
That's so cuuuuuuute! He's trying to use complex syntax to pass himself off as intelligent... Or he sucks at discourse. Either way.

Thank you for making my point.
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 12:32:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/25/2012 11:45:53 PM, CrazyPerson wrote:
I mean, we cannot always be proper, can you?

No. Yet, I believe there's a time and place for everything. We can have a serious debate, hopefully achieving a better understanding of our world, or we can treat this forum as nothing more than a mere chat room, never getting past the surface of mundane conversation.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 2:45:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/26/2012 12:22:10 AM, s-anthony wrote:
At 4/25/2012 11:54:59 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
That's so cuuuuuuute! He's trying to use complex syntax to pass himself off as intelligent... Or he sucks at discourse. Either way.

Thank you for making my point.

Would you like some kfc with your lack ironic humor?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 9:08:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/26/2012 12:22:10 AM, s-anthony wrote:
At 4/25/2012 11:54:59 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
That's so cuuuuuuute! He's trying to use complex syntax to pass himself off as intelligent... Or he sucks at discourse. Either way.

Thank you for making my point.

ADORABLE! You're learning so quickly to be passive-aggressively self-righteous. You'll fit in here in no time! In the meantime, you wanna debate somethin', champ? Gotta show off them debatin' muscles, right? Cuz you're totes smarter than everyone here, obviously. Your thorough psychoanalysis of peeps who use first-person shifters has me nearly scared into submission!
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 9:09:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/26/2012 9:08:25 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 4/26/2012 12:22:10 AM, s-anthony wrote:
At 4/25/2012 11:54:59 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
That's so cuuuuuuute! He's trying to use complex syntax to pass himself off as intelligent... Or he sucks at discourse. Either way.

Thank you for making my point.

ADORABLE! You're learning so quickly to be passive-aggressively self-righteous. You'll fit in here in no time! In the meantime, you wanna debate somethin', champ? Gotta show off them debatin' muscles, right? Cuz you're totes smarter than everyone here, obviously. Your thorough psychoanalysis of peeps who use first-person shifters has me nearly scared into submission!

I'm just glad you weren't making the assumption that more educated people necessarily have to speak in the form of an academic paper all the time to still be well-educated. Phew!
CrazyPerson
Posts: 1,114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 9:36:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
S-Anthony, you do know about the 'debate' section, right?
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
CrazyPerson
Posts: 1,114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 9:41:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
As a matter of fact, you don't even need a degree to get here.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 10:03:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/25/2012 10:39:01 PM, s-anthony wrote:
-----> I <------have noticed debating others and in society, in general, the education of a person is betrayed by the objectiveness of one's response. Too often, in a debate forum, there seems, by some, the need to personalize a response. Either speaking of one's self as more of an intellectual, or giving the implication by speaking in the third person, or criticising others as being amateurs not schooled in the topic, at hand.

In Carl Jung's works on word association, he noticed the less educated a person was the more personal the response was, making greater use of first person pronouns and using, frequently, nouns and adjectives in the formation of sentences. Yet, the more educated subjects were more prone to using not only nouns and adjectives but other parts of speech, as well, furthermore, using greater impartiality in their responses.:

FAIL.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
CrazyPerson
Posts: 1,114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 10:06:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/26/2012 10:03:46 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 4/25/2012 10:39:01 PM, s-anthony wrote:
-----> I <------have noticed debating others and in society, in general, the education of a person is betrayed by the objectiveness of one's response. Too often, in a debate forum, there seems, by some, the need to personalize a response. Either speaking of one's self as more of an intellectual, or giving the implication by speaking in the third person, or criticising others as being amateurs not schooled in the topic, at hand.

In Carl Jung's works on word association, he noticed the less educated a person was the more personal the response was, making greater use of first person pronouns and using, frequently, nouns and adjectives in the formation of sentences. Yet, the more educated subjects were more prone to using not only nouns and adjectives but other parts of speech, as well, furthermore, using greater impartiality in their responses.:

FAIL.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000..............................................etc.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 10:13:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't disagree with the OP in terms of conversations between men. Generally speaking, men who rely on their own intuitions singly without concern or regard for facts or varying perspectives are, in essence, myopic. Therefore, they couldn't possibly be as educated as someone with a more open mind.

On the other hand, I do disagree that this is a generally applicable premise, given the way I've observed women to think. This isn't to say that I've ever been inside the mind of a woman and can fully extrapolate how and why they come to the conclusions they do. What I can say, though, is that, in interacting with them, I notice that they filter almost everything through their emotions and intuitions, whether or not they apply logic to it, as an innate proclivity. So, in conversing with women about such subjects, it's common to encounter input that's sounds largely subjective and "personalized."

However, that isn't to say that there's anything wrong with this. I'm pretty sure that women have a significantly more advanced capacity to navigate their emotions, making it more practical than men to approach life in this way.
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 11:29:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/26/2012 9:09:46 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I'm just glad you weren't making the assumption that more educated people necessarily have to speak in the form of an academic paper all the time to still be well-educated. Phew!

No. Not even by implication.

The point I was trying to make is people who are like children, whose world is very small, see their environment through the eyes of egocentrism, often taking negativity as a personal attack and lashing out in a pejorative manner.
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 11:45:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/26/2012 9:36:27 AM, CrazyPerson wrote:
S-Anthony, you do know about the 'debate' section, right?

Yes, but I thought the entire website was a venue for debate, and seeing this as a topic of social interaction, it seemed appropriate to present it here.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 11:57:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/26/2012 11:29:19 AM, s-anthony wrote:
At 4/26/2012 9:09:46 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I'm just glad you weren't making the assumption that more educated people necessarily have to speak in the form of an academic paper all the time to still be well-educated. Phew!

No. Not even by implication.

The point I was trying to make is people who are like children, whose world is very small, see their environment through the eyes of egocentrism, often taking negativity as a personal attack and lashing out in a pejorative manner.

Yeah, I get that. You're just taking our dialogue way too seriously, I think. Really, though--wanna debate something, brah?
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 7:46:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/26/2012 11:57:00 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Yeah, I get that. You're just taking our dialogue way too seriously, I think. Really, though--wanna debate something, brah?

I love to debate you. That's why I'm here.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 11:16:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/26/2012 7:46:01 PM, s-anthony wrote:
At 4/26/2012 11:57:00 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Yeah, I get that. You're just taking our dialogue way too seriously, I think. Really, though--wanna debate something, brah?

I love to debate you. That's why I'm here.

Which subjects interest you, Herr Anthony?
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 11:21:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 1:21:55 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Well, focused subjects might be good. Like, if I asked you for a debate topic...

Physicalism versus Cartesian Dualism.