Jump to topic:

2040's

Nosaj5q
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 8:46:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
What do you think western culture will be like in the 2040's civil rights? corruption? media? passtimes?
Slimy yet satisfying"
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 9:29:29 AM
At 5/3/2012 8:46:11 AM, Nosaj5q wrote:
What do you think western culture will be like in the 2040's civil rights? corruption? media? passtimes?

Gimme my damn flying car already.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 5:48:55 PM
Uncivilized. Our society has already been deteriorating, and in 2040, there will be drunk people with tattoos all over the streets, violence everywhere, crime rising, sex becoming even more of a popular form of entertainment then it already is. I see no hope in the future of modern society.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 5:56:20 PM
At 5/3/2012 5:48:55 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Uncivilized. Our society has already been deteriorating, and in 2040, there will be drunk people with tattoos all over the streets, violence everywhere, crime rising, sex becoming even more of a popular form of entertainment then it already is. I see no hope in the future of modern society.

This made me laugh out loud. Drunk people with tattoos, you say? The humanity!
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 6:30:13 PM
At 5/3/2012 5:56:20 PM, Maikuru wrote:

This made me laugh out loud. Drunk people with tattoos, you say? The humanity!

Lmao, I had the same reaction.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 6:34:08 PM
The scene and emo people will be normal and other's with less obnoxious outfits will be considered 'conventional' as a deragatory term, and the people calling them conventional will not even know what conventional means.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 6:34:23 PM
Immoral and destructive acts like fornication and adultery might be more severe in their consequences, though the other things you mentioned won't be very much changed.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 8:13:35 PM

So...it'll be like 1990?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 10:12:30 PM
At 5/3/2012 9:29:29 AM, Zaradi wrote:

We got one and the FAA has come out with a less strict recreational pilots license, the way is paved, so to speak.
http://www.terrafugia.com...
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 10:20:25 PM
Hard to say. You have really two different phenomena's going on.

The first is the rapid advancement of computing technology. Computers are becoming more and more cognitive sophisicticating, and it isn't hard to envision that computers will be able to compete with humans on more and more cognitive level abilities. For example, they've already developed a car that can drive itself. There's also the idea of human brains merging with computer chips.

The second is the rapid depletion of resources. Obviously, one can not have infinite growth with only finite resources. So it is a huge limitation in our ability to advance once resources needed for technology development become more and more scarce.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 10:54:51 PM
At 5/3/2012 10:20:25 PM, darkkermit wrote:

The first is the rapid advancement of computing technology. Computers are becoming more and more cognitive sophisicticating, and it isn't hard to envision that computers will be able to compete with humans on more and more cognitive level abilities. For example, they've already developed a car that can drive itself. There's also the idea of human brains merging with computer chips.

The second is the rapid depletion of resources. Obviously, one can not have infinite growth with only finite resources. So it is a huge limitation in our ability to advance once resources needed for technology development become more and more scarce.

Apparently Moore's law is about to be done for though, as far as space available on computer chips. Of course they are working on the next thing, that is 3D graphene transistors.

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 11:02:58 PM
What do you think western culture will be like in the 2040's civil rights?

Gays marry, now unto new practices. (it is inevitable others, polygamists will be next, whether they win is another question),

corruption?
always corrupt

media?

Liberal still, that wont change

passtimes?

Marijuana for teens (it will likely be legal), and same activities for older people as now, though they will get enhanced drastically, and I cant fathom new inventions that haven't happened. ALL OF THIS IS UNGUESSABLE.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 11:03:33 PM

I agree.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 11:16:43 PM

Did you seriously take a plural word, erroneously add an "s," and then erroneously add an apostrophe?
Rob
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 11:50:58 PM
At 5/3/2012 11:03:33 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I agree.

Because sex hasn't always been a "popular form of entertainment"
I too thought the drunk people with tatoos in the street bit was hilarious.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 12:01:07 AM
At 5/3/2012 10:54:51 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Apparently Moore's law is about to be done for though, as far as space available on computer chips. Of course they are working on the next thing, that is 3D graphene transistors.

Well couldn't computing advances still occur even with Moore's law ending? I mean, many challenges exist in AI intelligence is in programming more then anything. Plus many computing problems are being solved through using the memory of other computers.

I don't know about the trends too much in computing.
Open borders debate:
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 12:04:00 AM

I hope you realize that literally every generation of every civilization in history has made these nonsensical complaints . . .
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 12:05:14 AM
There are Mesopotamian stone tablets of fathers complaining about teenagers. Hesoid made the same complaints in his Works and Days.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 12:06:15 AM
At 5/3/2012 11:16:43 PM, Lasagna wrote:

Did you seriously take a plural word, erroneously add an "s," and then erroneously add an apostrophe?

+8734239874619283712309817203981723087012983123

XD
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 12:08:46 AM
At 5/4/2012 12:01:07 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/3/2012 10:54:51 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Well couldn't computing advances still occur even with Moore's law ending? I mean, many challenges exist in AI intelligence is in programming more then anything. Plus many computing problems are being solved through using the memory of other computers.

I don't know about the trends too much in computing.

That's what I was saying, as of now Moore's law is going to break down for silicone chips, but of course they are working on all sorts of new and different technologies to replace the silicone wafer.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 12:23:03 AM
At 5/4/2012 12:05:14 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
There are Mesopotamian stone tablets of fathers complaining about teenagers. Hesoid made the same complaints in his Works and Days.

I think there are some goods and negative associated with our generation. It certainly isn't an "end of the world" thing but there are characteristics that make us different then previous generations. Our work ethic is weaker and we have an instant gratification culture but we are less violent then previous generations and we are more technological literate.
Open borders debate:
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 12:58:52 AM
At 5/4/2012 12:55:34 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I'll be a well established cult leader by then.

living in a beautiful paradise in Guyana

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2012 12:53:18 PM
This is the 10,000th thread in the society forum page!
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
wn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 2:25:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2012 9:29:29 AM, Zaradi wrote:

lol
llamainmypocket
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 5:25:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago

I expect mediocrity to prevail. Style will be defined by douchbags. Civil right by those with extreme political biases. About the only thing on your list that will work efficiently is corruption. Pastimes? We might lean a little closer to Asia. Music, movies, ideas.

I can imagine a follow-up question about why Asia. I don't have time for it so I'll answer now. It's because Asia is an emerging economy that is likely to be a replacement for some European wealth.