Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Good jobs and bad jobs

buelg
Posts: 79
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 7:23:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Many people don't say it out aloud, but they still think that there is a good job or a bad job. I believe that they decide it with money, fame, respect, ability, and how much you like. Such reasons make jobs like docters, teachers, judges go up and cleaners, writers, phsycologist, scientests go down.
In my opinion, I think that we shouldn't divide jobs like this, because if this situation goes on, by the year 2030, there would be no one wanting to be a street cleaner, causing the streets to be dirty.
But in the other hand, it will make medical treatments improve because docters will increase.
What do you guys think?
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 9:00:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 7:23:06 AM, buelg wrote:
Many people don't say it out aloud, but they still think that there is a good job or a bad job. I believe that they decide it with money, fame, respect, ability, and how much you like. Such reasons make jobs like docters, teachers, judges go up and cleaners, writers, phsycologist, scientests go down.
In my opinion, I think that we shouldn't divide jobs like this, because if this situation goes on, by the year 2030, there would be no one wanting to be a street cleaner, causing the streets to be dirty.
But in the other hand, it will make medical treatments improve because docters will increase.
What do you guys think?

What are the reasons that Doctors, Teachers, and Judges are better than Cleaners, Writers, Psychologists, and Scientists?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:40:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Some jobs are more esteemed than others, sure. What is probably important to the individual (personal wealth, fame, self-actualization, etc.) is not necessarily what is important for society. So you have a hospital- where the work that janitors do (keeping the hospital clean) may be just as important as the jobs doctors and nurses - public-health-wise. Though the doctors are probably fulfilling their own personal life goals more, the janitors are most certainly filling an important role for society.

But you know- when you're cleaning adult human sh!t off the broken tiles of a hospital bathroom floor, it's difficult to think of yourself as part of a larger and more important entity :)
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 8:45:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If the emphasis is on pure productivity, then we will always have this class system (doctors vs. sh!t-cleaners). What the doctor doesn't understand is that her life is more complete and fulfilling when certain menial tasks are NOT excluded from her daily routine, but this realization will not be made anytime in the immediate future -_-)
Rob
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 8:50:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 8:45:23 PM, Lasagna wrote:
If the emphasis is on pure productivity, then we will always have this class system (doctors vs. sh!t-cleaners). What the doctor doesn't understand is that her life is more complete and fulfilling when certain menial tasks are NOT excluded from her daily routine, but this realization will not be made anytime in the immediate future -_-)

Healthcare workers have high levels of depression:

http://www.health.com...
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 8:50:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/11/2012 4:51:28 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Seems like the 1st group are soon to be government workers right?

Are you referring to the study I showed? No, government workers report high level of happiness. You get more money and do less work. A lot less stressful. Why would government workers feel depressed?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,312
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 11:14:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/11/2012 8:50:14 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/11/2012 4:51:28 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Seems like the 1st group are soon to be government workers right?

Are you referring to the study I showed? No, government workers report high level of happiness. You get more money and do less work. A lot less stressful. Why would government workers feel depressed?

jobs like doctors, teachers, judges
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 2:26:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ha. Yeah sure. I'm sure the association of road cleaners would completely support your sentiment.

People become cleaners because they have no better choice. Not everyone can become a doctor because that requires serious commitment and currency.

Anyway, regarding your contention- from a societal point of view, you are absolutely right. Every job contributes to the society. But from a personal perspective, there are jobs that you Want to do, because they maximize your own personal satisfaction, and your own social goals. Denying this is futile.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 3:13:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
A job is a job and as long as you can sustain yourself and help benefit the economy it is a good job.

There are very few "bad" jobs in my opinion.

Bureaucrats
Door to door salesmen

hmmm that's the only two I can think of as "bad" right now.
sadolite
Posts: 8,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 9:54:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 7:23:06 AM, buelg wrote:
Many people don't say it out aloud, but they still think that there is a good job or a bad job. I believe that they decide it with money, fame, respect, ability, and how much you like. Such reasons make jobs like docters, teachers, judges go up and cleaners, writers, phsycologist, scientests go down.
In my opinion, I think that we shouldn't divide jobs like this, because if this situation goes on, by the year 2030, there would be no one wanting to be a street cleaner, causing the streets to be dirty.
But in the other hand, it will make medical treatments improve because docters will increase.
What do you guys think?

All work that needs to be done has to be done by someone or "your" quality of life will suffer if it isn't. People who think sweeping the floor or or taking out the garbage is beneath them are not worthy of the human race and should be hacked into pieces and flushed down the nearest toilet. If I new someone held such an attitude I would do all I could to destroy their reputation and character.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 12:56:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/11/2012 9:54:48 PM, sadolite wrote:

What do you guys think?

All work that needs to be done has to be done by someone or "your" quality of life will suffer if it isn't. People who think sweeping the floor or or taking out the garbage is beneath them are not worthy of the human race and should be hacked into pieces and flushed down the nearest toilet. If I new someone held such an attitude I would do all I could to destroy their reputation and character.

You are imposing your arbitrary opinions of a worthiness of a job on people, and revelling in it because it supposedly ends out a positive message.
sadolite
Posts: 8,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 11:48:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/13/2012 12:56:36 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 5/11/2012 9:54:48 PM, sadolite wrote:

What do you guys think?

All work that needs to be done has to be done by someone or "your" quality of life will suffer if it isn't. People who think sweeping the floor or or taking out the garbage is beneath them are not worthy of the human race and should be hacked into pieces and flushed down the nearest toilet. If I new someone held such an attitude I would do all I could to destroy their reputation and character.

You are imposing your arbitrary opinions of a worthiness of a job on people, and revelling in it because it supposedly ends out a positive message.

All work is worthy of anyone.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Aaronroy
Posts: 749
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 8:06:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The problem that arises with this predicament in the USA is that lowly jobs that Conservatives romanticize as worthy of the pay that pay bare minimum wage cannot sustain a single individual. Said individual would then would have to be working two full-time jobs while barely being able to make do by the end of the day. It's a cruel reality, really, that many are subject to this rental-centric method of enslavement.
turn down for h'what
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 10:45:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/13/2012 11:48:01 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 5/13/2012 12:56:36 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 5/11/2012 9:54:48 PM, sadolite wrote:

You are imposing your arbitrary opinions of a worthiness of a job on people, and revelling in it because it supposedly ends out a positive message.

All work is worthy of anyone.

If I spent 3 years studying economics, with the aim of becoming a economist of my country, considering working at Mcd's is an insult to my degree and myself. For the society as a whole, I am just another human resource, so it is perfectly justified in thinking that. But if one legitimately believes in it personally, they need to higher their ambitions.
sadolite
Posts: 8,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 7:25:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/13/2012 8:06:20 PM, Aaronroy wrote:
The problem that arises with this predicament in the USA is that lowly jobs that Conservatives romanticize as worthy of the pay that pay bare minimum wage cannot sustain a single individual. Said individual would then would have to be working two full-time jobs while barely being able to make do by the end of the day. It's a cruel reality, really, that many are subject to this rental-centric method of enslavement.

WTF does "Conservatism" have to do with doing work that must be done. I am not a "conservative" by the way. I am a "self reliant individual" I don't need the acceptance of political ideologies like you. I would shovel out a pump station full of sh!t if I were asked to do so. My quality of life depends on it being done on a regular bases. May your pump station in your neighborhood runith over.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 7:49:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/14/2012 7:25:20 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 5/13/2012 8:06:20 PM, Aaronroy wrote:
The problem that arises with this predicament in the USA is that lowly jobs that Conservatives romanticize as worthy of the pay that pay bare minimum wage cannot sustain a single individual. Said individual would then would have to be working two full-time jobs while barely being able to make do by the end of the day. It's a cruel reality, really, that many are subject to this rental-centric method of enslavement.

WTF does "Conservatism" have to do with doing work that must be done. I am not a "conservative" by the way. I am a "self reliant individual" I don't need the acceptance of political ideologies like you. I would shovel out a pump station full of sh!t if I were asked to do so. My quality of life depends on it being done on a regular bases. May your pump station in your neighborhood runith over.

COMMUNIST!!! But from a generalistic standpoint the janitors are smarter than the ones with desk jobs and generally recieve better pay and benefits, I thought about supplying these services to my boarding school [considering none of them know how to take care of themselves and think a hundred dollars for a pack of gum is inexpensive] for profit, I have found several induividuals willing to assist me. Plus I thought about repairing one of the old go-karts to serve as a taxi service for campus for a moderate [and prepayable] fee. You see, technical knowledge is awesome.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Aaronroy
Posts: 749
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 6:27:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/14/2012 7:25:20 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 5/13/2012 8:06:20 PM, Aaronroy wrote:
The problem that arises with this predicament in the USA is that lowly jobs that Conservatives romanticize as worthy of the pay that pay bare minimum wage cannot sustain a single individual. Said individual would then would have to be working two full-time jobs while barely being able to make do by the end of the day. It's a cruel reality, really, that many are subject to this rental-centric method of enslavement.

WTF does "Conservatism" have to do with doing work that must be done. I am not a "conservative" by the way. I am a "self reliant individual" I don't need the acceptance of political ideologies like you. I would shovel out a pump station full of sh!t if I were asked to do so. My quality of life depends on it being done on a regular bases. May your pump station in your neighborhood runith over.

What an ignorant statement. You are not a 'self reliant individual'. I'm going to leave you with this enlightening video of the Amazingatheist doing what he does best: showing people how f*cking retarded they are.
turn down for h'what