Jump to topic:

90% of all USA currency has traces

JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 11:48:44 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I would be there are some problems with the way they conducted the study. I just can't believe that 90% has traces of cocaine. That seems ridiculously high...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 12:06:40 PM
Canada has a similar frequency.

http://www.cbc.ca...

But the trace of cocaine are so miniscule that any attempt to get high off of it would be like sniffing water.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 12:08:09 PM
At 8/19/2009 11:48:44 AM, JBlake wrote:
I would be there are some problems with the way they conducted the study. I just can't believe that 90% has traces of cocaine. That seems ridiculously high...

Doesn't really surprise me. Bank notes tend to get passed round a lot of people and there are a hell of a lot of coke sniffers out there.

Before anyone gets too exited, these traces will be microscopic ammounts so you'd probably have to lick/smoke/consume an awful lot of money to get a buzz. (probably even more expensive than charlie itself!).
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 12:08:15 PM
The idea is not that you can get high off of it, but that someone did at one point.

They're used as mediums for inhalant drugs, apparantly.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
purplehaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 12:35:28 PM
At 8/19/2009 12:06:40 PM, Volkov wrote:
Canada has a similar frequency.

http://www.cbc.ca...

But the trace of cocaine are so miniscule that any attempt to get high off of it would be like sniffing water.

lol duhhhhhh!!!
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 2:23:36 PM
At 8/19/2009 11:48:44 AM, JBlake wrote:

I'm guessing it doesn't include coins lol.

At 8/19/2009 12:08:15 PM, wjmelements wrote:
The idea is not that you can get high off of it, but that someone did at one point.

They're used as mediums for inhalant drugs, apparantly.

Apparently? Ah the sweet innocence of youth. Yes, I can confirm this is true and is by no means a recent development.

Think about it though, these people are sticking rolled up bank notes in their noses, so the same 90% probably also contain traces of snot (ugh).
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 2:43:12 PM
At 8/19/2009 2:36:27 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I'm guessing this doesn't include coins?

If you want to attempt to use drugs with the help of a coin, then good luck to you.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 5:36:17 PM
What makes that very interesting is that a dollar bill only exists for about 2 years. So that means that the traces of cocaine are all relatively recent.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 5:55:37 PM
At 8/19/2009 5:36:17 PM, Harlan wrote:
What makes that very interesting is that a dollar bill only exists for about 2 years. So that means that the traces of cocaine are all relatively recent.

I had no idea bills were in circulation for only that long, because I've seen bills that are at least five years old in circulation here.

That being said, there could be a correlation between the frequency and amount of cocaine content in circulated bills and cocaine users. The idea that some law enforcement officials have put forward is that they may be able to target certain high-use areas depending upon the amount of trace cocaine they find on bills. If bills are only in circulation in that long, then such an idea would be much easier, as the newer bills would be far easier to trace.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2009 3:20:46 PM
I remember reading that the study was done in only like major urban cities (LA, Detroit, NYC, etc.) and it was a very small sample. I bet the actual % is well below 50%.