Jump to topic:

Best Culture

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 3:46:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Attempting to put politics aside as much as possible, what country do you think has the best culture, according to your personal taste?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 3:54:46 PM
Fvck countries, I roll with clubs.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 4:19:29 PM
At 7/6/2012 4:12:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I like Greece. It has some very cool old stuff to see, and some awesome gyros.

Haha, I was just thinking Greece. But mostly based on the fact that they have more sex than anyone else.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 4:30:56 PM
At 7/6/2012 4:19:29 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Haha, I was just thinking Greece. But mostly based on the fact that they have more sex than anyone else.

I'm not sure if you are basing that on your own experience, or some data I haven't seen, but either way it's another reason to love Greece.
Debate.org Moderator
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 4:37:55 PM
Either Italy, the UK, or the US. Three-way tie.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 4:43:53 PM
Western Europe, definitely. More noticeably, the Scandinavians have lovely cultures.
I hate the current culture I live in.
turn down for h'what
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 4:44:09 PM

i'm greek ;)

i'm fascinated with egyptian culture, and i like the ancient native american cultures: aztecs, toltecs, incans, etc.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 5:39:28 PM
At 7/6/2012 3:46:52 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Attempting to put politics aside as much as possible, what country do you think has the best culture, according to your personal taste?

That is a magnificently difficult call, but I would give it a tie to France, Germany and Switzerland.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 5:49:38 PM
What's American culture? Repressed protestants? Cowboys? Yankees? Imperialists? Slave owners? Protectors of liberty? Capitalists? Immigrants? Leaders of the free world? Individualists?

Any association of a country with a culture that does not take temporal and spacial context into consideration will end up an useless stereotype.

This is tantamount to arguing whether blondes are brunettes are prettier.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 6:00:20 PM
At 7/6/2012 5:49:38 PM, Wnope wrote:
What's American culture? Repressed protestants? Cowboys? Yankees? Imperialists? Slave owners? Protectors of liberty? Capitalists? Immigrants? Leaders of the free world? Individualists?

Any association of a country with a culture that does not take temporal and spacial context into consideration will end up an useless stereotype.

As imaginary as it may be, I'm quite sure there is some significant degree of national personality in America.
Namely, materialism and sheepishness.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 6:03:18 PM
At 7/6/2012 4:30:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I'm not sure if you are basing that on your own experience, or some data I haven't seen, but either way it's another reason to love Greece.

87% of Greeks report having sex on a weekly basis.

http://www.gadling.com...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 6:05:43 PM
At 7/6/2012 6:00:20 PM, FREEDO wrote:

As imaginary as it may be, I'm quite sure there is some significant degree of national personality in America.

That phenomena really only materialized (no pun intended) in the beginning of the 20th century. Compare it to, say, the thirteen colonies. We would not consider them to be anymore "materialist" than their european counterparts (save, perhaps, for the transference of status from royalty to wealth-dependent).
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 6:05:48 PM
At 7/6/2012 6:03:18 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/6/2012 4:30:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

87% of Greeks report having sex on a weekly basis.

http://www.gadling.com...

Thanks for providing the stats.. It's also 14th on the promiscuity list (ranks countries by number of sex partners).. so just another reason to love Greece. Sex and Gyros, who could need anything else?
Debate.org Moderator
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 6:09:42 PM
At 7/6/2012 6:05:43 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 7/6/2012 6:00:20 PM, FREEDO wrote:

That phenomena really only materialized (no pun intended) in the beginning of the 20th century. Compare it to, say, the thirteen colonies. We would not consider them to be anymore "materialist" than their european counterparts (save, perhaps, for the transference of status from royalty to wealth-dependent).

Well, I'm speaking of the people living today. Pretty what I'm asking, based just on the characteristics of the people, is what country you would most like to live in.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 6:10:52 PM
At 7/6/2012 6:07:13 PM, Wnope wrote:
Though it's arguable materialism rose with the 18th century industrialization process.

I don't see an inherent problem with materialism.. It's good for the economy.. People who just save their money and don't buy tons of useless stuff aren't helping anyone but them self. Selfish jerks I say.
Debate.org Moderator
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 6:17:58 PM
At 7/6/2012 6:10:52 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Though it's arguable materialism rose with the 18th century industrialization process.

I don't see an inherent problem with materialism.. It's good for the economy.. People who just save their money and don't buy tons of useless stuff aren't helping anyone but them self. Selfish jerks I say.

Nothing wrong with spending to your whim. But generally what's implied by "materialism" and is the case in America is the sort of mindless animalistic way of going about it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 6:38:52 PM
Spain. I love the music and siesta and tapas, and the idea of bar-hopping all-night is something you can really only do in Spain. I'm an insomniac, and I haven't seen any place with a better night-life than Spain. It's also got a King. After Spain, I'd probably say some of the other European countries, Italy and Greece are definitely up there.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 6:50:56 PM
At 7/6/2012 6:17:58 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/6/2012 6:10:52 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Nothing wrong with spending to your whim. But generally what's implied by "materialism" and is the case in America is the sort of mindless animalistic way of going about it.

Mindless spending is even better. If Americans put even 2 seconds more thought into their purchases, entire industries might disappear. Also the 'holiest' day in the US calender is mostly focused on consumerism. This is American culture and we have the largest economy in the world. It's not a coincidence, and I don't see what the problem is until the government began incentivizing things people can't actually afford.
Debate.org Moderator
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 7:16:44 PM
I've only been exposed to mexican culture, hawaiian culture, and american culture..

American is the best to me.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 7:38:08 PM
At 7/6/2012 6:22:43 PM, CiRrK wrote:
China.

I'll second this but with France, Germany, India, Japan, Persia, and so forth as forerunners as well.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 7:43:27 PM
At 7/6/2012 7:38:08 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/6/2012 6:22:43 PM, CiRrK wrote:
China.

I'll second this but with France, Germany, India, Japan, Persia, Iran, Italy and so forth as forerunners as well.

Amended and changed.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 7:47:00 PM
Australia, Germany, or probably Britain.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 10:40:32 AM
The UK.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.