Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

How will life on this planet become extinct?

phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 12:04:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I watched a documentary that went through all of the following possible expiration's for the world.

Global warming
Global cooling
Universe collapsing on itself
Black hole
Robots turning against us
Nuclear/atomic disaster
Earth colliding with a giant meteor
Anti-matter or something turning all matter on earth into one big glob of gray moving matter.

There was more but I can't remember the rest.

Anyways, what do you think the most likely is? I say zombies, because it has to be epic.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 12:10:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/9/2012 12:04:01 PM, phantom wrote:
I watched a documentary that went through all of the following possible expiration's for the world.

Global warming
Global cooling
Universe collapsing on itself
Black hole
Robots turning against us
Nuclear/atomic disaster
Earth colliding with a giant meteor
Anti-matter or something turning all matter on earth into one big glob of gray moving matter.

There was more but I can't remember the rest.

Anyways, what do you think the most likely is? I say zombies, because it has to be epic.

All life on Earth? When the sun expands into a Red Giant.

Global Warming is a threat to certain life, but not all life in general. Some organisms seems to be thriving. Ok, so there's the scenario that it goes out of control and we turn into Venus, but there is an issue of how likely we are to reach that point and how long such a process would take.

The Universal scenarios are too long in time frame - trillions of years. The sun will become a red giant before then.

Robots, grey goo, and strange matter scenarios either don't account for all life or are just too far fetched.

As far as the meteor, I saw a similar documentary and it basically said that some bacteria might be able to survive in a cyrstalline coccoon - some sort of stasis - emerging when the conditions are ready to support life again.

Bacteria, FTW.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 12:19:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/9/2012 12:10:27 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 7/9/2012 12:04:01 PM, phantom wrote:
I watched a documentary that went through all of the following possible expiration's for the world.

Global warming
Global cooling
Universe collapsing on itself
Black hole
Robots turning against us
Nuclear/atomic disaster
Earth colliding with a giant meteor
Anti-matter or something turning all matter on earth into one big glob of gray moving matter.

There was more but I can't remember the rest.

Anyways, what do you think the most likely is? I say zombies, because it has to be epic.

All life on Earth? When the sun expands into a Red Giant.

Don't know why I forgot to mention that one.

Global Warming is a threat to certain life, but not all life in general. Some organisms seems to be thriving. Ok, so there's the scenario that it goes out of control and we turn into Venus, but there is an issue of how likely we are to reach that point and how long such a process would take.

The Universal scenarios are too long in time frame - trillions of years. The sun will become a red giant before then.

Robots, grey goo, and strange matter scenarios either don't account for all life or are just too far fetched.

True about the robots and yes it's incredibally far fetched! The documentary was actualy about the human race though, so I probably should have added that.

Grey goo looks pretty scary! But yeah, probably not guna happen.

As far as the meteor, I saw a similar documentary and it basically said that some bacteria might be able to survive in a cyrstalline coccoon - some sort of stasis - emerging when the conditions are ready to support life again.

Bacteria, FTW.

That would send evolution back to the drawing board lol.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 12:36:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/9/2012 12:19:05 PM, phantom wrote:
At 7/9/2012 12:10:27 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 7/9/2012 12:04:01 PM, phantom wrote:
I watched a documentary that went through all of the following possible expiration's for the world.

Global warming
Global cooling
Universe collapsing on itself
Black hole
Robots turning against us
Nuclear/atomic disaster
Earth colliding with a giant meteor
Anti-matter or something turning all matter on earth into one big glob of gray moving matter.

There was more but I can't remember the rest.

Anyways, what do you think the most likely is? I say zombies, because it has to be epic.

All life on Earth? When the sun expands into a Red Giant.

Don't know why I forgot to mention that one.

No one expects the Red-Giant-Phase-of-our-Sun-quisition?


Global Warming is a threat to certain life, but not all life in general. Some organisms seems to be thriving. Ok, so there's the scenario that it goes out of control and we turn into Venus, but there is an issue of how likely we are to reach that point and how long such a process would take.

The Universal scenarios are too long in time frame - trillions of years. The sun will become a red giant before then.

Robots, grey goo, and strange matter scenarios either don't account for all life or are just too far fetched.

True about the robots and yes it's incredibally far fetched! The documentary was actualy about the human race though, so I probably should have added that.

Grey goo looks pretty scary! But yeah, probably not guna happen.

http://xkcd.com...


As far as the meteor, I saw a similar documentary and it basically said that some bacteria might be able to survive in a cyrstalline coccoon - some sort of stasis - emerging when the conditions are ready to support life again.

Bacteria, FTW.

That would send evolution back to the drawing board lol.

Not from their POV :)
Calvincambridge
Posts: 1,141
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 9:30:49 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/9/2012 12:04:01 PM, phantom wrote:
I watched a documentary that went through all of the following possible expiration's for the world.

Global warming
Global cooling
Universe collapsing on itself
Black hole
Robots turning against us
Nuclear/atomic disaster
Earth colliding with a giant meteor
Anti-matter or something turning all matter on earth into one big glob of gray moving matter.

There was more but I can't remember the rest.

Anyways, what do you think the most likely is? I say zombies, because it has to be epic.

I say the exact same thing.
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Tiffany1billion
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 11:26:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/9/2012 12:04:01 PM, phantom wrote:

Anyways, what do you think the most likely is? I say zombies, because it has to be epic.

The zombies are definitely freaking me out; they're all over China too. But I don't think zombies are capable of destroying the planet, only tons of people. The planet will continue it's existence well after the human virus has died away.
Tiffany
K.GKevinGeary
Posts: 32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 5:22:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I could imagine a nuclear holocaust. Humans debatabley by nature are always going to fight. Who knows what will actually do it. Society's though on the other hand can be destroyed relatively easy unlike life in general. Has anyone heard of a Carthage diner. No because they got wiped off the face of the earth. That is probably more extreme but society is thin. How will life become extinct? I envision qualty of life of living in a society to become extinct before that of humans. That scenario also has to many ways for it to occur.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 6:14:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Other than the earth itself exploding or being sucked into a black hole, it's hard to imagine how you could kill EVERY living organism on earth in a quick enough period of time. Nuclear bombs wouldn't do it. Viruses wouldn't do it (hell, you could argue they need to be wiped out before the job is done). Comets and floods won't do it.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 7:04:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/9/2012 12:36:03 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 7/9/2012 12:19:05 PM, phantom wrote:
At 7/9/2012 12:10:27 PM, drafterman wrote:

All life on Earth? When the sun expands into a Red Giant.

Don't know why I forgot to mention that one.

No one expects the Red-Giant-Phase-of-our-Sun-quisition?

lol

I really can't think of anything else that would literally wipe out all life on Earth besides the Red-Giant-Phase-of-our-Sun-quisition.....
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 7:13:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Arrows in knees.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 7:24:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Oh, that's easy.

See, I have it set so that when I die, the entire world will be consumed by a black hole, and obliterated!

NO ONE CAN SAY OBERHERR DID NOT GO OUT WITH A BANG!!

(or more correctly, a massive-amount-of-gravitational-force-crush......-thing)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 7:45:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/10/2012 7:04:43 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 7/9/2012 12:36:03 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 7/9/2012 12:19:05 PM, phantom wrote:
At 7/9/2012 12:10:27 PM, drafterman wrote:

All life on Earth? When the sun expands into a Red Giant.

Don't know why I forgot to mention that one.

No one expects the Red-Giant-Phase-of-our-Sun-quisition?

lol

I really can't think of anything else that would literally wipe out all life on Earth besides the Red-Giant-Phase-of-our-Sun-quisition.....

Universe collapsing on itself or Black hole
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 8:59:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/10/2012 7:45:38 PM, phantom wrote:
At 7/10/2012 7:04:43 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 7/9/2012 12:36:03 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 7/9/2012 12:19:05 PM, phantom wrote:
At 7/9/2012 12:10:27 PM, drafterman wrote:

All life on Earth? When the sun expands into a Red Giant.

Don't know why I forgot to mention that one.

No one expects the Red-Giant-Phase-of-our-Sun-quisition?

lol

I really can't think of anything else that would literally wipe out all life on Earth besides the Red-Giant-Phase-of-our-Sun-quisition.....

Universe collapsing on itself or Black hole

or a collision with a large volume of antimatter!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Tiffany1billion
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 9:40:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Universe collapsing/Black hole. I tend to think of those two as the same thing, if only because a collapsing universe would probably cause the biggest black hole ever!
Or
Anti-matter or something turning all matter on earth into one big glob of gray moving matter. That would definitely do some damage.
Tiffany
sadolite
Posts: 8,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 6:29:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It is already extinct. It has been deemed to have no inherent value to the planet, that is "human life" anyway. Without "human life" there is no life, just existence. But you still need human life to "acknowledge" existence.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%