Jump to topic:

"Suicide Room" and The Trevor Project

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 10:30:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
That French cinematography is generally underrated notwithstanding, the movie "Suicide Room" was at once the rawest and most provocative movie I have ever seen that was created expressly to make a point about society. I won't ruin the plot for any who would wish to watch it, but I will note that the IMDB summery doesn't do the movie or its characters justice.

The thing I found most compelling about it was how brilliantly it confronted LGBT adolescent issues. At times there are moments where perhaps the relationship between the protagonist and what amounts to his -sort of- romantic pursuit is a bit too overdone (you'll see it about a third of the way through the movie), but the most haunting lines of the entire movie are delivered in the same way. So, in that sense, not only is it interesting from a technical perspective, but it makes ample use of the mediums of communication that many teenagers and young adults do now.

Though it may be hard to not ruin the plot implicitly without talking about The Trevor Project, the ending of the movie gives way to begin an excellent discussion of the issues the movie confronts throughout. This is a dark movie, perhaps too dark for someone under the age of 14 or 15, but -for what it is- it is done very well.

And, it's available on Netflix.

All in all I think a fair rating is 4/5 stars. I highly recommend it.

Suicide Room, IMDB
http://www.imdb.com...
Tsar of DDO
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 10:52:23 PM
This is such a popular thread right now.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:48:58 PM
Bump. Where would I get this?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 8:30:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/25/2012 10:30:53 PM, YYW wrote:
That French cinematography is generally underrated notwithstanding, the movie "Suicide Room" was at once the rawest and most provocative movie I have ever seen that was created expressly to make a point about society. I won't ruin the plot for any who would wish to watch it, but I will note that the IMDB summery doesn't do the movie or its characters justice.

The thing I found most compelling about it was how brilliantly it confronted LGBT adolescent issues. At times there are moments where perhaps the relationship between the protagonist and what amounts to his -sort of- romantic pursuit is a bit too overdone (you'll see it about a third of the way through the movie), but the most haunting lines of the entire movie are delivered in the same way. So, in that sense, not only is it interesting from a technical perspective, but it makes ample use of the mediums of communication that many teenagers and young adults do now.

Though it may be hard to not ruin the plot implicitly without talking about The Trevor Project, the ending of the movie gives way to begin an excellent discussion of the issues the movie confronts throughout. This is a dark movie, perhaps too dark for someone under the age of 14 or 15, but -for what it is- it is done very well.

It is not currently. At least, not on live streaming.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 8:37:07 PM
At 3/26/2014 8:30:30 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 7/25/2012 10:30:53 PM, YYW wrote:

It is not currently. At least, not on live streaming.

It was when I posted this link. It's gone now, though.

I'm sure if you really wanted to watch it, you could find it online somewhere.
Tsar of DDO
OliveJuice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 8:07:12 PM
At 8/20/2012 8:48:58 PM, MouthWash wrote:

I believe there is also a full version on YouTube if you want to try that. Great movie.
.Innocence is news to me.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 9:09:51 PM
Wow, 3 bumps.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 11:52:15 AM
At 4/13/2014 8:07:12 PM, OliveJuice wrote:

I believe there is also a full version on YouTube if you want to try that. Great movie.

All hail the Necroposter!
My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
http://www.debate.org...
OliveJuice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 9:31:11 PM
At 4/14/2014 11:52:15 AM, Crescendo wrote:
At 4/13/2014 8:07:12 PM, OliveJuice wrote:

All hail the Necroposter!

Lol, 4am boredom tends to do that.
.Innocence is news to me.