Jump to topic:

Liberal Arts

ReganFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 9:24:34 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I was just wondering why do some of my fellow conservatives take the term liberal arts literally, as in they think its a bunch of elitist professors brain washing the kids with liberalism?

Wikipedia's Page on Liberal Arts: The contemporary liberal arts comprise studying art, literature, languages, philosophy, politics, history, mathematics, and science.
Do you like Mudkips?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 12:42:11 PM
Because 79.6% of social science teachers in college vote
Democrat, 9% vote Republican, and except for math and science, the split is probably bigger for the rest.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
FlavourWave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 12:44:19 PM
At 9/3/2009 12:42:11 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Democrat, 9% vote Republican, and except for math and science, the split is probably bigger for the rest.

9% of scientists are Republicans
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 12:51:04 PM
Well, that would mean it isn't bigger, now is it?

And what percent of scientists are democrats? Scientists are probably statistically less likely than average to have an ideology :).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
FlavourWave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 1:01:32 PM
At 9/3/2009 12:51:04 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Well, that would mean it isn't bigger, now is it?

And what percent of scientists are democrats? Scientists are probably statistically less likely than average to have an ideology :).

I need to correct myself it was 6% sorry.

I believe it was 55% who were democrats and the rest were independent however when you look at how they identify themselves ideologically its starker:
9% describe themselves as conservative 52% as liberal and 14% as Very Liberal
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 1:04:57 PM
At 9/3/2009 1:02:42 PM, Nags wrote:
I believe something like 65% of PhD's are agnostic/atheist.

That has nothing to do with the topic.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 1:09:25 PM
At 9/3/2009 1:04:57 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Yes. It kinda does. You are talking about the % of scientists who are ideologically conservative-liberal. I talk about % of PhDs who are atheist. A lot of Christian Conservatives would find atheism liberal. So, yeah...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 1:11:40 PM
At 9/3/2009 1:09:25 PM, Nags wrote:
At 9/3/2009 1:04:57 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Yes. It kinda does. You are talking about the % of scientists who are ideologically conservative-liberal. I talk about % of PhDs who are atheist. A lot of Christian Conservatives would find atheism liberal.

Which doesn't make it the case. The fact that Christian Conservatives think atheism has anything to do with modern liberalism is utterly irrelevant to whether it does. And it does not, as I am an atheist who has nothing to do with modern liberalism :).
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 2:11:49 PM
There's no question in my mind that the arts (generally speaking) DO have a liberal bias: and not just politically but, more importantly, morally.
Consider hollywood comedy movies. If a comedy is to be a success it MUST 'push the boat out' as it were.. it must go where no comedy has gone before.
So we have a drip effect of moral corrosion in the arts in general and in TV and movies in particular.
The Cross.. the Cross.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 2:53:36 PM
Is it any coincidence then that extreme-right wing fascist regimes persecute intellectuals?

They are afraid that the general public might discover the truth - in a slightly milder form, that's why Fox News doesn't give liberals or intelligent commentators a fair crack of the whip.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 3:21:33 PM
At 9/3/2009 2:53:36 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Is it any coincidence then that extreme-right wing fascist regimes persecute intellectuals?
Correction, they persecute the other side's intellectuals. Kind of like extreme left-wing regimes persecute-- the other side's intellectuals.

They are afraid that the general public might discover the truth - in a slightly milder form, that's why Fox News doesn't give liberals or intelligent commentators a fair crack of the whip.
Or vice verse with MSNBC?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 3:27:02 PM
At 9/3/2009 3:21:33 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Or vice verse with MSNBC?

Fox actually does have liberal commentators. Every single host debates, unlike MSNBC or CNN.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 3:32:19 PM
He meant a "fair crack," as in hosts who aren't hired as punching bags :).
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 4:40:16 PM
At 9/3/2009 12:42:11 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

yep... my school is a lib arts school
and just last week they sent a massive email to every student and alumni inviting them to look inside of themselves and if they have ever questioned there sexuality to come to the
"coming out party".

I am not kidding.
they had a huge event called, "the coming out party" to try to help people come out... and convince you that if you have ever thought about it, you are 9 times out of 10 gay

it was a huge success, in their eyes, as they sent another huge email stating how almost everyone that showed up "came out" in some way or another.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 4:59:23 PM
it was a huge success, in their eyes, as they sent another huge email stating how almost everyone that showed up "came out" in some way or another.
Out? Wow, that's a lotta mess to clean up. I feel kinda sorry for the janitor.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 6:24:40 PM
I was taught that majoring in Liberal Arts is a great way to get disowned if you weren't aiming to be a lawyer.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 9:18:59 AM
At 9/3/2009 3:21:33 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Correction, they persecute the other side's intellectuals. Kind of like extreme left-wing regimes persecute-- the other side's intellectuals.

They persecute intellectuals per se.
Pol Pol persecuted intellectuals: He indentified them by their wearing of spectacles..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 10:48:15 AM
Pol Pot does not = all fascist or communist gov'ts.

SOME governments persecute intellectuals per se. Others just persecute the other side's. This is the more ubiquitous model, for it is the more adaptive.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 11:01:41 AM
At 9/4/2009 10:48:15 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Pol Pot does not = all fascist or communist gov'ts.

SOME governments persecute intellectuals per se. Others just persecute the other side's. This is the more ubiquitous model, for it is the more adaptive.

Sure. It's not a cut n' dry thing.
BUT dictatorships that often begin by being intellectually strong OFTEN end up cannibalizing its own intelligentsia.
Thinkers such as Trotsky are pushed out as thugs such as Stalin rise through the ranks.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 12:02:14 PM
At 9/3/2009 9:24:34 AM, ReganFan wrote:
I was just wondering why do some of my fellow conservatives take the term liberal arts literally, as in they think its a bunch of elitist professors brain washing the kids with liberalism?

Wikipedia's Page on Liberal Arts: The contemporary liberal arts comprise studying art, literature, languages, philosophy, politics, history, mathematics, and science.

Because they failed in education, and as a result are now ignorant and angry.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 1:58:35 PM
At 9/4/2009 12:02:14 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/3/2009 9:24:34 AM, ReganFan wrote:

Because they failed in education, and as a result are now ignorant and angry.

Q 1)
Does a homosexual desire automatically make one a homosexual?
The Cross.. the Cross.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:51:43 PM
The term "homosexual" is, as a standard, defined in terms of desire.
ReganFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 9:46:25 PM
Q 1)

Yes. Desire for women also makes someone heterosexual.
Do you like Mudkips?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 9:50:24 PM
At 9/4/2009 9:46:25 PM, ReganFan wrote:
Q 1)

What if they desire both the same sex and the opposite sex? What if, and I'm only thinking here, that someone only "desires" the same sex in terms of, "I'd like to be their friend." Is that homosexual desire?

What if any man you idealize, say this Reagan fellow, is actually a sort of attraction. Does it make you homosexual?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 10:09:59 PM
At 9/4/2009 9:50:24 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/4/2009 9:46:25 PM, ReganFan wrote:
Q 1)

What if they desire both the same sex and the opposite sex? What if, and I'm only thinking here, that someone only "desires" the same sex in terms of, "I'd like to be their friend." Is that homosexual desire?

What if any man you idealize, say this Reagan fellow, is actually a sort of attraction. Does it make you homosexual?

Obviously by desire, it was meant-- DESIRE TO F***.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 11:34:05 PM
At 9/4/2009 10:09:59 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Obviously by desire, it was meant-- DESIRE TO F***.

What is the desire for sex but a desire for companionship, and how is that desire different from the desire to have bonds with others? People seem to believe that sexual attraction and platonic attraction are somehow separate; when in reality, all both are is desires for companionship, just expressed in different ways.