Jump to topic:

The N Word

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 9:29:25 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'm sick and tired of feeling uncomfortable about the N word. I listen to rap and hip-hop once in awhile, and whenever a lyric that contains the word Nigga comes on, I damn sure sing along. The problem is that I either don't do this OR feel extremely uncomfortable about doing so in the presence of a black person. Once or twice I have done it though, and they've either given me a very appalled look or flat out reprimanded me for doing so. The way I see it, if the artist felt that it was inappropriate for me or other non-blacks to use the word, then they wouldn't have incorporated it into their music. People sing along with songs they enjoy. Period.

I think it's crap that black people use the excuse that they are "taking the word back" after it's oppressive connotations. Well you know what? I want to take the word back too. Originally the term was used in society to be offensive; however, if the definition or rather implication of the word is being switched from being mean-spirited to essentially a term of endearment meaning friend (i.e. wassup nigga!), then why shouldn't I be allowed to say it? Words are not exclusive to race or any other irrelevant factor. Get over it, people. Seriously.
President of DDO
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 9:37:25 AM
Why is it that you only consider the feelings of black people regarding this word? It is an offensive word regardless of race.
As with any profanity etc.. if you are in company that you feel has the same scruples (or LACK of) as yourself then, knock yourself out.
As with homosexuality or Nazism or Heroin addiction; 'Everyone's doing it' is NOT A VALID EXCUSE.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 5:48:42 PM
At 9/4/2009 5:45:27 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Repeal the N word, repeal the term Paddy. Now!

Why Paddy? I know someone named Paddy. Her family is Irish as well. XD
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 5:52:36 PM
At 9/4/2009 5:48:42 PM, Volkov wrote:

Why Paddy? I know someone named Paddy. Her family is Irish as well. XD

Paddy is a derogatory term for an Irishman and it's use should be prohibited, so long as we're heading down that road :P. The name Phadraig or Patrick is fine.

The N word will never disappear, and I hate they way black people think they can make invisible rules like "You can't say that, only we can!". Well I can, it's only the pronunciation of 6 letters. If you want us to stop using it, you stop using it. We don't go around going "Hey [N word], I want a packet of malboro". You are though.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 6:23:37 PM
At 9/4/2009 6:21:40 PM, idontbelieveit wrote:
White people need go get there own term. I would be fine then.

Waddup crackah?
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 6:37:13 PM
"There's a different group to get pissed off at you in this country for everything your not supposed to say. Can't say N*gger, Boogie, Jig, Jigaboo, Skinhead, Moolimoolinyon, Schvatzit, Junglebunny. Greaser, Greaseball, Dago, Guinea, Whop, Ginzo, K*ke, Zebe, Heed, Yid, Mocky, Himie, Mick, Donkey, Turkey, Limey, Frog. Zip, Zipperhead, Squarehead, Crout, Hiney, Jerry, Hun, Slope, Slopehead, Ch*nk, Go*k. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of those words in and of themselves. They're only words. It's the context that counts. It's the user. It's the intention behind the words that makes them good or bad. The words are completely neutral. The words are innocent. I get tired of people talking about bad words and bad language. Bullsh*t! It's the context that makes them good or bad. The context. That makes them good or bad. For instance, you take the word "N*gger." There is absolutely nothing wrong with the word "N*gger" in and of itself. It's the racist *sshole who's using it that you ought to be concerned about. We don't mind when Richard Pryer or Eddie Murphy say it. Why? Because we know they're not racist. They're N*ggers! Context. Context. We don't mind their context because we know they're black. Hey, I know I'm whitey, the blue-eyed devil, paddy-o, fay gray boy, h*nkey, mother-f*cker myself. Don't bother my *ss. Their only words. You can't be afraid of words that speak the truth, even if it's an unpleasant truth, like the fact that there's a bigot and a racist in every living room on every street corner in this country." -- George Carlin
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 7:31:00 PM
At 9/4/2009 9:37:25 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
Why is it that you only consider the feelings of black people regarding this word? It is an offensive word regardless of race.
As with any profanity etc.. if you are in company that you feel has the same scruples (or LACK of) as yourself then, knock yourself out.
As with homosexuality or Nazism or Heroin addiction; 'Everyone's doing it' is NOT A VALID EXCUSE.

First of all, you're completely missing the point. I am not only considering the feelings of black people regarding this word. I'm considering mine as well, and I'm white.

Second of all, don't degrade my character in asserting that I lack morals without any backing to that claim. You are not only entirely hypocritical in this matter, but I am asking this of you respectively the same way you requested respectfully that I change my signature once upon a time and I obliged (even though I thought you were a wimpy cry baby for being offended by a bleeted out profanity) so mutual respect would be much appreciated here. Thanks.

And finally, what are you even talking about? I am opposed to argumentum ad populum (everyone is doing it!) logic. My point is that a word is neither inherently moral or immoral. Likewise, the connotations of certain words change throughout history. The N word is an example of this. Again, I assert that since it is no longer always used in a derogatory but actually a FRIENDLY way, then this usgage (positive) of the word should be extended to EVERYONE - not exclusive. Like PoeJoe said, it is all about context.
President of DDO
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 7:33:37 PM
Ten points to Poejoe. As with 99% of what Carlin says, I couldn't agree more.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 2:01:28 AM

Mmm.. I MUCH prefer 'Mick'..
The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 2:19:04 AM
At 9/4/2009 7:31:00 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 9/4/2009 9:37:25 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

First of all, you're completely missing the point. I am not only considering the feelings of black people regarding this word. I'm considering mine as well, and I'm white.

That you are thinking of yourself is crystal clear. But what of others? Where does all this me me me end? with Nazis DEMANDING the right to wear swasticas, that's where.

Second of all, don't degrade my character in asserting that I lack morals without any backing to that claim. You are not only entirely hypocritical in this matter, but I am asking this of you respectively the same way you requested respectfully that I change my signature once upon a time and I obliged (even though I thought you were a wimpy cry baby for being offended by a bleeted out profanity) so mutual respect would be much appreciated here. Thanks.

Anyone who cannot control the urge to be 'down with da kids' and use the N word in mixed company certainly lacks discernment.

And finally, what are you even talking about? I am opposed to argumentum ad populum (everyone is doing it!) logic. My point is that a word is neither inherently moral or immoral. Likewise, the connotations of certain words change throughout history. The N word is an example of this. Again, I assert that since it is no longer always used in a derogatory but actually a FRIENDLY way, then this usgage (positive) of the word should be extended to EVERYONE - not exclusive. Like PoeJoe said, it is all about context.

So no-one EVER uses the term in a negative sense any more?

I UNDERSTAND that the word has been 'reclaimed' and no longer has the same power it once did, OK?
But it is NOT for white, middle class, pretend cool people like you to use.
Get over it.
The Cross.. the Cross.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 6:20:59 AM
The history of the word is as a derogatory racist slur so I think it's understandable that a black person would feel differently about a white person saying it than another black person.
Some women refer to themselves as 'bitches' but I don't think this gives me the right to address all women as such.

I personally wouldn't use it whatever company I'm in and normally just omit it if I'm rapping/singing along to a tune that uses it.
However I wouldn't edit it out of a track in a DJ set the way I sometimes do with extremely misogynistic or homophobic content and am quite happy to stand behind the decks with a tune like 75 bars playing. (see video).

Interesting debate on a related topic:
http://www.debate.org...
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 7:59:11 AM
At 9/4/2009 9:29:25 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm sick and tired of feeling uncomfortable about the N word. I listen to rap and hip-hop once in awhile, and whenever a lyric that contains the word Nigga comes on, I damn sure sing along. The problem is that I either don't do this OR feel extremely uncomfortable about doing so in the presence of a black person. Once or twice I have done it though, and they've either given me a very appalled look or flat out reprimanded me for doing so. The way I see it, if the artist felt that it was inappropriate for me or other non-blacks to use the word, then they wouldn't have incorporated it into their music. People sing along with songs they enjoy. Period.

I think it's crap that black people use the excuse that they are "taking the word back" after it's oppressive connotations. Well you know what? I want to take the word back too. Originally the term was used in society to be offensive; however, if the definition or rather implication of the word is being switched from being mean-spirited to essentially a term of endearment meaning friend (i.e. wassup nigga!), then why shouldn't I be allowed to say it? Words are not exclusive to race or any other irrelevant factor. Get over it, people. Seriously.

I think it's because they use the word to specifically call reference to shared hardships. With one word, they greet each other as friends, kinsmen, while isolating others that haven't come from the same background. Of course it upsets them when other people are using the word too. Even if they use it in an endearing way, it becomes awkward because they don't have the "blackground".

I live in NYC, so I make it a habit to NEVER say that word unless I'm in the right neighborhood.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 7:59:40 AM
At 9/4/2009 9:31:47 AM, Nags wrote:
I agree with you, but... why are you singing out loud in public? hahah

I sing out loud in public all the time! And I don't even do it while listening to music ;)
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 1:52:05 PM
At 9/5/2009 7:59:11 AM, Kleptin wrote:
At 9/4/2009 9:29:25 AM, theLwerd wrote:

I think it's because they use the word to specifically call reference to shared hardships. With one word, they greet each other as friends, kinsmen, while isolating others that haven't come from the same background. Of course it upsets them when other people are using the word too. Even if they use it in an endearing way, it becomes awkward because they don't have the "blackground".

I live in NYC, so I make it a habit to NEVER say that word unless I'm in the right neighborhood.

It's UTTERLY racist to not accept it from white people but to accept it from blacks.
It's a horrible word in any context and I would ask anyone (WHATEVER their shade of skin) to kindly refrain from using it in my presence.
The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 2:14:57 PM
At 9/5/2009 1:58:34 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(all caps suck)

Do you have a point?
The Cross.. the Cross.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 2:18:25 PM
At 9/5/2009 2:14:57 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:

(all caps suck)

Do you have a point?

Yes
idontbelieveit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 3:22:11 PM
At 9/4/2009 6:23:37 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Waddup crackah?

Black people still use cracker. The only problem with the white term, is if you use it in music, it would probably be country. I HATE country.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 3:28:09 PM
At 9/5/2009 3:22:11 PM, idontbelieveit wrote:

Waddup crackah?

Black people still use cracker. The only problem with the white term, is if you use it in music, it would probably be country. I HATE country.

Whites have a monopoly on guitar. So any rock.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 6:50:43 PM
At 9/5/2009 2:18:25 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
At 9/5/2009 2:14:57 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:

(all caps suck)

Do you have a point?

Yes

Haha.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Charlie_Danger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 9:28:02 PM

That's the problem, white people CAN'T get their own word. We're not a minority.
http://www.Debate.org...
^Latest Debate^

word

lolwut^

http://www.myspace.com...
^Not music, but music^

Music Line of The Day:
"She burns like the sun, and I can't turn away"
LightningRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 11:15:33 PM
At 9/5/2009 9:28:02 PM, Charlie_Danger wrote:

That's the problem, white people CAN'T get their own word. We're not a minority.

So then stop complaining.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 6:45:07 AM

In that sense, the majority are just common folk. Minorities call you crackers (Or in the case of Borat, "Wassup vanilla face?"), you call minorities various amounts of this. This doesn't really even out.
Charlie_Danger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 1:33:24 PM
At 9/5/2009 11:15:33 PM, LightningRod wrote:

So then stop complaining.

WTF? Have you been listening at ALL, Patsox?
^Latest Debate^

word

lolwut^

^Not music, but music^

Music Line of The Day:
idontbelieveit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 4:07:49 PM
At 9/5/2009 3:28:09 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Waddup crackah?

Jimi Hendrix and Lenny Kravitz. Lenny has a white name though.
Charlie_Danger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 5:36:53 PM
At 9/6/2009 4:07:49 PM, idontbelieveit wrote:
At 9/5/2009 3:28:09 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Waddup crackah?

Jimi Hendrix and Lenny Kravitz. Lenny has a white name though.

Jimi is a white name as well, but it's just spelled black.
^Latest Debate^

word

lolwut^

^Not music, but music^

Music Line of The Day: