Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 6:34:05 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
"Our dad wasn't a racist. His best friend was a nigger."
"Wouldn't you rather date some a little less black?"
"Those f*cking crackers are...completely worthless."

These are a few of my family's recent highlights. I'm curious how many others here are exposed to similar racism within your families or inner circles.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 6:41:10 AM
[Note: We're now into Ireland]

My Dad isn't intentionally racist, sure there are many jokes he has told me, which is racist, but he's not the type to walk out of a pub if there's a Chinese person,or wipe his hand after shaking it with a Black person. As for immigration, each "Native" person is for it being reduced, which I think should happen.

Hell, when my house was being done up, there was one hard-working polish builder who would arrive 15 minutes before he was supposed to arrive (Let's be realistic, when do builders ever arrive on time to start with). He was content to stand out in the freezing winter cold and wait, but my Dad would let him inside.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2009 12:49:33 PM
My Grandmother was told, as a little girl, not to put coins in her mouth as " A black man may have touched it."

Shameful.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2009 1:51:21 PM
At 9/5/2009 11:28:57 PM, Puck wrote:
Certainly my parents are; of the racial type + negative stereotype = truth, variety.

Mine as well. Its natural to judge people based on how they look, because its the safest way to avoid danger. I consider myself fairly liberal when it comes to racism, but I've had many bad experiences being picked on by blacks and hispanics in NYC.

As you move into the professional world though, and get to have more friends of different backgrounds, you stop judging them by what race they are and properly judging people by the way they dress :)

One of my friends called me out because I was trying to steer away from this black person in full "gangster wear". I had to explain that I honestly don't care what he is, he could be the pastiest shade of white and I'd still stay the hell away from him.

On the subway, I'd rather sit next to a person wearing a suit and tie over a person wearing a do-rag and metal chains no matter what race they are >.>
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2009 1:58:14 PM
At 9/7/2009 1:51:21 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Certainly my parents are; of the racial type + negative stereotype = truth, variety.

Mine as well. Its natural to judge people based on how they look, because its the safest way to avoid danger. I consider myself fairly liberal when it comes to racism, but I've had many bad experiences being picked on by blacks and hispanics in NYC.

As you move into the professional world though, and get to have more friends of different backgrounds, you stop judging them by what race they are and properly judging people by the way they dress :)

One of my friends called me out because I was trying to steer away from this black person in full "gangster wear". I had to explain that I honestly don't care what he is, he could be the pastiest shade of white and I'd still stay the hell away from him.

On the subway, I'd rather sit next to a person wearing a suit and tie over a person wearing a do-rag and metal chains no matter what race they are >.>

Classist.

I too generally try to avoid people based on fashion. I make fun of people of different fashions too. You can't control your race,but you can dress decently
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2009 8:46:47 PM
At 9/7/2009 1:58:14 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Classist.

I too generally try to avoid people based on fashion. I make fun of people of different fashions too. You can't control your race,but you can dress decently

Well both of you would look down on me in real life, and it doesn't bother me one iota. My "uniform" is a polo shirt (a flannel if it's cold), shorts, no shoes. If I MUST wear footwear, I'll try to get away with sandals, if not I'll wear shoes, but I don't like it. Obviously I'll wear nice stuff to a job interview or funeral, and it doesn't bother me having to do so. As long as I can remember, this is the way I've dressed and I have no intention of changing, regardless how many snobs choose to treat me differently.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 12:05:34 AM
At 9/7/2009 8:46:47 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 9/7/2009 1:58:14 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Classist.

Well both of you would look down on me in real life, and it doesn't bother me one iota. My "uniform" is a polo shirt (a flannel if it's cold), shorts, no shoes. If I MUST wear footwear, I'll try to get away with sandals, if not I'll wear shoes, but I don't like it. Obviously I'll wear nice stuff to a job interview or funeral, and it doesn't bother me having to do so. As long as I can remember, this is the way I've dressed and I have no intention of changing, regardless how many snobs choose to treat me differently.

I wouldn't look too much down on you. I understand a different climate calls for different clothing.

I just don't understand why some people can't just wear a nice T-shirt and jeans.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 3:03:57 AM
I think many people have some residual racism, and its important not to panic or wring our hands in despair at this, but just to recognise it. At the same time it's difficult to work out if it is, as people have suggested more based on class or clothing.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 5:34:50 AM
At 9/8/2009 3:03:57 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I think many people have some residual racism, and its important not to panic or wring our hands in despair at this, but just to recognise it. At the same time it's difficult to work out if it is, as people have suggested more based on class or clothing.

Question 1)
Does a person become homosexual after the very first homosexual desire?
The Cross.. the Cross.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 6:36:17 PM
Well both of you would look down on me in real life, and it doesn't bother me one iota. My "uniform" is a polo shirt (a flannel if it's cold), shorts, no shoes.

That's not that bad. I wouldn't look down on you one bit. In fact, that describes how I dress about 75% of the time.

Except I always wear sneakers, and it's getting too cold for shorts so I either wear jeans or khakis.

The other 25% of the time, I wear shirt, tie, dress pants, and lab coat.

I'm not sure where you are, but it must be nice if you don't have to wear shoes. There's glass and other terrible things on city pavement here in NY.
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 6:39:12 PM
At 9/8/2009 6:36:17 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Well both of you would look down on me in real life, and it doesn't bother me one iota. My "uniform" is a polo shirt (a flannel if it's cold), shorts, no shoes.

I'm not sure where you are, but it must be nice if you don't have to wear shoes. There's glass and other terrible things on city pavement here in NY.

How can you not wear shoes?
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 6:53:53 PM

That's not that bad. I wouldn't look down on you one bit. In fact, that describes how I dress about 75% of the time.

Sweet, that's good to know! :D

Except I always wear sneakers, and it's getting too cold for shorts so I either wear jeans or khakis.

The other 25% of the time, I wear shirt, tie, dress pants, and lab coat.

So where do you work, just out of curiousity? I'd understand if you didn't want to say.

I'm in Australia at the moment, on the East Coast. It's midday and it's probably 30oC (mid-80s fahrenheit). Very pleasant weather. I'm at work right now so I AM wearing shoes (steel-capped boots to be precise).
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 6:58:59 PM
At 9/8/2009 6:39:12 PM, Nags wrote:

Physically? Just don't put them on. Beware thorns and glass. Repeat.
Socially? Be lucky (or unlucky, depending on your views) enough to place personal comfort over other peoples' opinion of you. Avoid fancy places.
Errrm.... Philosophically? Socrates also didn't see the need for them, and he the man.

Where I currently live, it's only aboriginals who generally walk around shopping centres without shoes on. I don't want them to have all the comfort for themselves. I'm just selfish like that. ;D

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 7:05:26 PM
At 9/8/2009 6:58:59 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

Socially? Be lucky (or unlucky, depending on your views) enough to place personal comfort over other peoples' opinion of you. Avoid fancy places.
Errrm.... Philosophically? Socrates also didn't see the need for them, and he the man.

Where I currently live, it's only aboriginals who generally walk around shopping centres without shoes on. I don't want them to have all the comfort for themselves. I'm just selfish like that. ;D

I find that really weird actually. I have never met anyone who doesn't wear shoes.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 12:03:18 AM
At 9/8/2009 7:05:26 PM, Nags wrote:

I find that really weird actually. I have never met anyone who doesn't wear shoes.

They do save a couple hundred each year though in shoes and such.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:35:16 AM

Are the soles of your feet almost as good as shoes (toughened up) now?
The Cross.. the Cross.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 4:23:23 AM
There's a hippy dude who lives near me who hasn't worn shoes for 30 years.

We call him Pete the Feet, he's a nice guy but I wouldn't share a foot spa with him.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 2:50:22 PM
At 9/9/2009 3:35:16 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Are the soles of your feet almost as good as shoes (toughened up) now?

Yeah pretty much, but not as much as they used to be. In the year after high school and before uni I worked as a cotton chipper, which is basically just 8 hours of straight walking through a paddock and pulling out weeds. I didn't wear shoes once and the soles of my feet were amazingly tough. One day I had to put heaps of this farmer's rubbish in a hole and burn it off, and I stood on a burning piece of plastic which stuck to my foot and it was only when I got home did I see a piece of plastic melted into my skin. That ain't right.

leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 2:50:50 PM
At 9/9/2009 4:23:23 AM, feverish wrote:

We call him Pete the Feet, he's a nice guy but I wouldn't share a foot spa with him.

Haha! Pete the Feet.

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 8:47:34 AM
At 9/9/2009 2:50:50 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

Haha! Pete the Feet.

I guess that would make you "Leet the Feet".

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 5:44:07 AM
At 9/10/2009 8:47:34 AM, Kleptin wrote:
At 9/9/2009 2:50:50 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

Haha! Pete the Feet.

I guess that would make you "Leet the Feet".

Hey.. no one challenge Eric to one of those 'rap battle' debates... this guy's DYNAMITE!
The Cross.. the Cross.