Jump to topic:

How do you define love?

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 9:11:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
In a different thread on the definition of marriage, a lot of people said marriage was all about love.

I must confess I am very ambiguous about the concept of love. In my opinion, love is a pretty shaky foundation of a marriage because it's so vague. How can you know that the person you are obsessed with at the moment, you are going to like him throughout your life? You're both going to grow up, and human wants are so shaky, I don't understand how love can be such a widely accepted basis for a marriage.

I would define love as the feeling you get when you believe that you are very compatible with a specific person.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 10:31:48 AM
Suppose that it is shaky. What's a better basis? Money? Power? Parental force?

This is the best quote concerning love that I have found:

"Love is a passion for life shared with another person. You fall in love with a person who you think is wonderful. It's your deepest appreciation of the value of that individual, and that individual is a reflection of what you value most in life. Love, for sound reasons, can be one of life's greatest rewards."

-Terry Goodkind

Most people don't experience love when they want to marry. That doesn't mean it is a shaky foundation for marriage; it means that the people who are getting married are getting married for the wrong reasons.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:14:55 PM
royalpaladin

Goodkind.
Goodkind again in signature.
wait, that's royalpaladin?

Did someone chainfire the old royalpaladin and insert this new one?

Or maybe she ate some kentucky fried chicken-that-was-not-a-chicken.

hmm

http://img2.etsystatic.com...

Love:
1. (mandatory) Pleading for an infant not to hurt you, repeatedly, no more.
2. (actually on topic) The extreme integration of the values of two or more individuals.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:42:04 PM
At 9/11/2012 11:14:55 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
royalpaladin

Goodkind.

hmm

Love:
2. (actually on topic) The extreme integration of the values of two or more individuals.

wtf did i just read.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:44:40 PM
There are many types of love, but they all have emotional attachment involved, so I'd say "A feeling of emotional attachment".
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 12:13:39 AM
At 9/11/2012 11:42:04 PM, darkkermit wrote:
wtf did i just read.

My thoughts exactly on royalpaladin quoting Terry Goodkind favorably. I presume Charleslb will be doing the same for Ayn Rand, and then I'll catch the plague and favorably quote Lenin.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 11:59:43 AM
Ideas.

Not even "I like the story, but...". His ideas?

Is this really royalpaladin or did she get hacked?

Wait wait wait. Given how you were in that JimmyTimmy thread, playing the native-nationalist mirror to Jimmy's white supremacy, what are your thoughts on Soul of the Fire?

I'd stick this in profile comments but no comments allowed.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 2:48:29 PM
Love is when the happiness of another is more important than your happiness, and your happiness is more important than their happiness. It is a completion of the self.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 4:00:11 PM
At 9/11/2012 11:42:04 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/11/2012 11:14:55 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
royalpaladin

Goodkind.

hmm

Love:

wtf did i just read.

Lmfao
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 4:54:13 PM
At 9/12/2012 11:59:43 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Ideas.

Not even "I like the story, but...". His ideas?

Is this really royalpaladin or did she get hacked?

Wait wait wait. Given how you were in that JimmyTimmy thread, playing the native-nationalist mirror to Jimmy's white supremacy, what are your thoughts on Soul of the Fire?

I didn't say that I liked all of his ideas. I thought Soul of the Fire was a bit simplistic in its discussion of the positive effects of Haken domination of the Anders. I do think that sometimes people use oppression as a tool to oppress others, though.

The problem with Goodkind is that he takes a lot of political ideas to a nonsensical extreme. That doesn't mean that some of his ideas are not good, however.
I'd stick this in profile comments but no comments allowed.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 4:58:17 PM
The other thing to note is that I agree with a great deal of Egoist philosophy. I just think that self-interest is best achieved through voluntary collectivism rather than through pure individualism.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 4:59:48 PM
The First Confessor was not very good, and I didn't like the Law of Nines either. His best work so far has been Faith of the Fallen.
MattDescopa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 5:49:42 PM
women are more attracted to someone when they have status, money, and power so this becomes part of the definition for love.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 5:56:24 PM
Haven't read The First Confessor yet. I wait till books are cheap and used, or I get resources that make the opportunity costs low (gift cards). Issin my rational self interest you see.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 6:10:05 PM
At 9/12/2012 5:56:24 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Haven't read The First Confessor yet. I wait till books are cheap and used, or I get resources that make the opportunity costs low (gift cards). Issin my rational self interest you see.

You can find the book for free online like I did . . .
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 6:11:23 PM
At 9/12/2012 6:10:05 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

I said rational self-interest, not parasitism.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 6:11:58 PM
Don't really do ebooks, they don't ever really get those nice price markdowns.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 6:12:29 PM
At 9/12/2012 6:11:23 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Isn't it more rational to obtain the book for free than to pay for it? :p
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 6:21:13 PM
At 9/12/2012 6:12:29 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 9/12/2012 6:11:23 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Isn't it more rational to obtain the book for free than to pay for it? :p

Man is not omniscient. I wish to keep my property. If I am discovered, I will not be able to claim rights to property. Not being omniscient, I do not know whether I am discovered-- yet the closer I am to my goal, the greater scrutiny will be. Hence, I avoid discovery by not doing it.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 7:41:52 PM
Love is like a water jug overflowing, nourishing all the plants around it.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 7:08:23 AM
I had to think about this for a while before I could come up with a response.

This is where I've gone with it.

Love is a certain adoration -- a connection, an attachment, an understanding, an acceptance, an indulgence -- that pervades a person's being, and never leaves them, really. When you love someone, and you end up in a relationship with them... it's kind of intense, really, but you get used to it and just kind of exist amidst it. Love, like heroin or gambling, can take over your life.

But, it's a good thing, and if you're lucky, that person will help you achieve the goals you already had, so it really wouldn't matter.

People conflate love all the time, because it's unfamiliar to them or they don't understand it. Such conflations include sex, food, enabling, and parasitism.

But, love is distinct, and to those who have been in love, precious. Really falling in love will change you forever. I'm dead serious, and many people fall in love more than once. It changes you every time. I guess, all sorts of love changes you, molds you in some way. The love you share with your family and friends affect you every bit as much, I'd say, but in often different (though just as often overlapping) ways.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 2:42:29 PM
At 9/11/2012 9:11:48 AM, Cermank wrote:
In a different thread on the definition of marriage, a lot of people said marriage was all about love.

I must confess I am very ambiguous about the concept of love. In my opinion, love is a pretty shaky foundation of a marriage because it's so vague. How can you know that the person you are obsessed with at the moment, you are going to like him throughout your life? You're both going to grow up, and human wants are so shaky, I don't understand how love can be such a widely accepted basis for a marriage.

I would define love as the feeling you get when you believe that you are very compatible with a specific person.

According to popular culture, I believe the best answer to the question is "Baby, don't hurt me."
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 8:18:28 PM
Beat ya to it Wnope, but I hid it in verbosity.