Jump to topic:

T.o.K Paradigms

untitled_entity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 10:46:49 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I think this may fall into this category, if it doesn't, my apologies.

As part of my school's IB programme, and I'm pretty sure all IB programmes students must take a class called "Theory of Knowledge" in which we basically discuss foundations for and of knowledge and how we 'know' things. We're now studying paradigms and I was wondering what the members of DDO felt about these questions. No, I'm not asking you to do my homework for me, I've already done them I was just curious of your opinions. Feel free to answer some, none, all - whatever.

*Why are we here?
* How did we get here?
* What is the purpose of life?
* What happens after death?
* What is our relationship of with nature?
* Why does evil exist?
* What is right and what is wrong?
* Where do our beliefs of right and wrong come from?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 11:07:37 AM
*Why are we here?

Accident.

* How did we get here?

Evolution.

To live? To love? I'll go with progression.

Transfer of energy. We become something else.

We ARE nature.

* Why does evil exist?

Lotsa reasons. Survival, for one. Biology for another. Etc.

Difficult question. Some wrongs are subjective, and some I would attribute to reciprocity (in short - the Golden Rule).

- Culture (Religion/Tradition)
- Etymology
- Reciprocity
President of DDO
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 11:14:31 AM
*Why are we here?
Who is this "we" you speak of?

* How did we get here?
Who is this "we" you speak of?

Where did you get the notion that there's a purpose?

Whose death?

Who is "us"?

* Why does evil exist?
It does?

Good question, what are they?

Instincts and perception/experience of culture/society.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 11:30:43 AM
At 9/19/2009 10:46:49 AM, untitled_entity wrote:
*Why are we here?

Because we aren't over *there*

* How did we get here?

By not being anywhere else

Not to die.

You bury the body and throw away the evidence.

Friends with benefits.

* Why does evil exist?

Because evil people exist.

Right is the opposite of Left.
Wrong is the opposite of Correct

The brain.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 11:31:56 AM
*Why are we here?
We've each separately chosen not to GTFO when we had the chance. Others didn't. (Rezz, in referring to a situation common to everyone involved "We" is indeed appropriate).
* How did we get here?
We didn't. If "Here" is earth," we each have it as our origin point.
Since we've each taken volitional action toward this purpose, we have each agreed that life is the purpose. Asking what's the purpose of a purpose is like asking what's the center of a center.

Lots of things, none of which involve the person who dies.

Mine is master. Dunno about yours.
* Why does evil exist?
Emotions are easy for lazy people to listen to over reason. Presumably. You might learn more by asking an evil person.
That which achieves one's chosen ends and that which does not.
We don't share them, so silly question. Mine come from the choice to live and the capabilities of nature in fulfilling that. Dunno bout yours.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 11:38:21 AM
At 9/19/2009 11:31:56 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
(Rezz, in referring to a situation common to everyone involved "We" is indeed appropriate).

She wanted a response. My answer post contains my initial reactions. The question did not specify which "we" they were referring to. It could be asking, "why are you students here in this IB Programme?". I am simply pointing out that it does not specify. Because that's how I perceive things. Which is why it's an honest answer.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
untitled_entity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 11:42:36 AM
At 9/19/2009 11:38:21 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:
(Rezz, in referring to a situation common to everyone involved "We" is indeed appropriate).

She wanted a response. My answer post contains my initial reactions. The question did not specify which "we" they were referring to. It could be asking, "why are you students here in this IB Programme?". I am simply pointing out that it does not specify. Because that's how I perceive things. Which is why it's an honest answer.

No, these are the questions that were put in the middle of the chapter for us to answer.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 11:51:00 AM
At 9/19/2009 11:42:36 AM, untitled_entity wrote:

No, these are the questions that were put in the middle of the chapter for us to answer.

Unless the chapter defined "we", I would still answer the same way. If they defined "we", but the "we" did not clarify what "here" meant, I'd ask "What do you mean by "here?"". To answer in more detail I'd have to see how the chapter defined the questions.

But assuming someone came out of nowhere and asked me that list of questions, that list in my first post would be my responses.

untitled_entity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 12:21:55 PM
At 9/19/2009 11:51:00 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 9/19/2009 11:42:36 AM, untitled_entity wrote:

Unless the chapter defined "we", I would still answer the same way. If they defined "we", but the "we" did not clarify what "here" meant, I'd ask "What do you mean by "here?"". To answer in more detail I'd have to see how the chapter defined the questions.

But assuming someone came out of nowhere and asked me that list of questions, that list in my first post would be my responses.

They didn't specify...that's the thing with the course. The book doesn't give you anything, it specifies what paradigms are and you have to figure the rest out yourself.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 12:23:05 PM
At 9/19/2009 11:07:37 AM, theLwerd wrote:

What do you guys mean by that?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 12:24:58 PM
At 9/19/2009 12:23:05 PM, Nags wrote:
At 9/19/2009 11:07:37 AM, theLwerd wrote:

THe body goes into the soil and helps grow plants and such.

I die today. The U.S. may invade Iran. Obama may be voted in again in 2012. All those things happen after my death.

What do you guys mean by that?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 8:40:28 PM
My two cents:

*Why are we here?
We are here due to a confluence of natural forces working to generate the complex series of reactions necessary for the emergence of life.
* How did we get here?
By function of aforementioned forces.
Complex and multi-faceted question. Easiest way to look at it: life is a process, carried out by and through various organisms, towards some conclusion as yet not witnessed. Just as a star could be said to have as its 'purpose' its conclusion as a supernova and the generation of a black hole, so too does life likely have some 'purpose' best described as the result when life has passed by. As for the exact nature of that result ... who knows?
The physical mass composing your mind and body decomposes and is reincorporated in various other, later, forms. The data informing your consciousness, meanwhile, is carried on in others' memories of and reactions to your existence and the consequences thereof.
We are a part of it.
* Why does evil exist?
We are a part of nature. Being a part of nature, what is good for nature is good for the greatest whole from which we are derived. Being only a part of nature, we can not easily recognize the whole or more than the part, except and to the extent that we make an effort to understand. Few people try. Hence, evil is mostly a consequence of stupidity(readily observable in that people who do 'evil' things think they are doing 'good' things; 'evil' is usually just an inability to fully understand or appreciate the consequences of one's actions).
What is right is what is true and what is wrong is what is false. What is best is what is good. Beyond that, I'm not sure how to answer the question.
From the influence of generations of other consciousnesses and their collective influence on the beliefs of modern society or, in the alternative, from empirical observation or reasoned consideration of the causal relationship between actions and consequences.
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 9:31:39 PM
*Why are we here?

Because the events necessary for us to be here happened? Duh?

* How did we get here?

We evolved?

I think life is devoid of intrinsic purpose; it has whatever purpose an individual wants to give it.

We rot.

We destroy it. And, well, we're apart of nature, no? We *are* animals, after all.

* Why does evil exist?

I don't think it does. Not as anything more than a concept humans apply to particular things, anyway.

My answer would be similar to the one I gave above.

Social conditioning plays a rather significant role, and so do our instincts. And, of course, our rationality, which can definitely override instincts and how we're conditioned.
LB628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 9:47:38 PM

*Why are we here?
Why not?

* How did we get here?
An accident of physics and chemistry.

To live. It needs no purpose

There is no after death.

Agree with above. We are nature.

* Why does evil exist?
Because some things harm humanity's chances for survival.

1: Whatever we believe.
2: Whatever is evolutionarily beneficial is right.

1 derives from 2.

Evolution. Concepts of right and wrong are beneficial to societal building, and aid in the construction of the tribe by setting limits on members, and allowing them to both exclude and look down on those who disobey those limits. This homogenizes the tribe, leading to greater social cohesion.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 9:48:05 PM
Yay, let me join in on the fun.

Why are we here?

An idiotic question, we are merely accidents (philosophically speaking, meaning we are an event without an intention behind).

How did we get here?

Couple of hypothesis concerning quantum gravity/string theory/etc. --> Big Bang --> Formation of our Solar System (among others) --> Evolution --> Emergence of civilizations

What is the purpose of life?

Whatever you choose it to be. There is no objective meaning to life, only subjective ones that are privy to those who create them.

What happens after death?

Transfer of energy. "You" are no more.

What is our relationship of with nature?

We are nature. If you mean what ethical attitude humans should take towards the rest of nature, then read on:

Why does evil exist?

This is the same as asking why does "qwarkels" exists. Qwarkel's dont exist, and evil doesn't exist - this question is nonsense.

What is right and what is wrong?

I assume you mean ethically, in which I need to refer you back to the previous answer: there isn't a right and wrong.

Where do our beliefs of right and wrong come from?

I'd recommend reading some Richard Joyce about the evolution of morality for starters.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 9:51:22 PM
How does having a broad undersntanding of cosmology and biology (concerning the events leading to our current status as human beings) have anything to do with epistemology? Or the meaning of life? Etc.

In fact, NONE of these questions are ones that are primarily discussed in epistemology.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 10:49:43 PM
How very naive of you, Skeptic, to assume accredited public school epistemology classes have anything to do with epistemology.

You take them to learn how to pretend to be profound, duh.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 11:40:50 PM
At 9/19/2009 10:49:43 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
How very naive of you, Skeptic, to assume accredited public school epistemology classes have anything to do with epistemology.

Haha yeah, and there goes any hope for any legit high school philosophy course/class/blah
untitled_entity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2009 6:32:47 AM
At 9/19/2009 11:40:50 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:
At 9/19/2009 10:49:43 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Haha yeah, and there goes any hope for any legit high school philosophy course/class/blah

I've read your posts and its almost as if you people think I wrote these questions. It's a stupid course and nobody really talks about their views in it because they're 'afraid to offend' - anyways, I was just interested in your thoughts.

@TheSkeptic - There is no legitimacy to the class whatsoever, it's taught by this crazy older woman who probably should have stopped teaching years ago.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2009 1:06:09 PM
I've read your posts and its almost as if you people think I wrote these questions. It's a stupid course and nobody really talks about their views in it because they're 'afraid to offend' - anyways, I was just interested in your thoughts.

Oh nah, I know you didn't write them - I'm just reminded again that there isn't much to expect in courses like these. It's basically a very broad and superficial course on philosophy...with some science.

@TheSkeptic - There is no legitimacy to the class whatsoever, it's taught by this crazy older woman who probably should have stopped teaching years ago.

Figures :P
ournamestoolong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2009 5:04:23 PM
*Why are we here?

Nature abhors a void

* How did we get here?

The act of nature abhoring a void

To ultimatley better the Human race as a whole

We decompose.

We are part of nature, because everything that exists is part of nature.

* Why does evil exist?

It doesn't. We have a perception that certain things are "evil" based on our moral code, which is arbitrary.

Whatever you want it to be. Its all about perception

A need to make sense out of why people may seek to harm us.
I'll get by with a little help from my friends.

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2009 5:26:21 AM

As part of my school's IB programme, and I'm pretty sure all IB programmes students must take a class called "Theory of Knowledge" in which we basically discuss foundations for and of knowledge and how we 'know' things. We're now studying paradigms and I was wondering what the members of DDO felt about these questions. No, I'm not asking you to do my homework for me, I've already done them I was just curious of your opinions. Feel free to answer some, none, all - whatever.

*Why are we here?
To Glorify and praise our Maker forever and ever!
* How did we get here?
Descended from Adam and Eve who God created around 6000years ago.
To reverse the damage done by Adams sin and spread the good news of Jesus Christ.
First JUDGEMENT: are you in Christ? if yes, eternal Life. If no, eternal death.
We have the same Creator.
* Why does evil exist?
In order for A to be defined, to have qualities, nonA must exist also.
Before creation only God existed (A) and as He is defined as Good, Holy and Just then it follows that nonA (unholyness, unjustness, evil) or at least the potential of nonA, also existed.
In order for Him to give His masterpiece (Adam) a semblance of free will God gave nonA as a choice.
Adam chose it and brought sin and so death into the world.
Whatever God, primarily through the Bible, decrees.
God/the Bible.

Toodle pip.
The Cross.. the Cross.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2009 10:12:57 PM

In order for a three-sided triangle to exist, a four-sided triangle must exist as well?
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2009 4:15:09 PM
At 9/22/2009 10:12:57 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:

In order for a three-sided triangle to exist, a four-sided triangle must exist as well?

Your winner.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2009 5:46:45 AM
At 9/22/2009 5:45:46 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I am 100% convinced that DAT is a pathetic, fake forum troll. Good day.

Whatever happened to being a hip, tolerant, free thinking, alternative lifestyle type of Gal?

Seems you're just like EVERYONE else after all..

Toodle pip!
The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2009 5:49:04 AM
At 9/22/2009 10:12:57 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:

A triangle is DEFINED by its three sides..
As soon as you add a side it is no longer a triangle BUT a square..

ALL of your work ahead of you..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2009 8:47:36 AM
And as soon as you add deliberate evil to God's works he is no longer good but evil.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2009 3:56:01 AM
At 9/25/2009 8:47:36 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
And as soon as you add deliberate evil to God's works he is no longer good but evil.

Sure, but you cannot add deliberate evil to Gods works.
The Cross.. the Cross.