Jump to topic:

Best Quotes of All Time

chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 11:17:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm attempting to assemble a list of the best quotes of all time.

These can be quotes from books, movies, TV shows, political and social figures, and more.

My favorite quote is from a commencement speech delivered by my favorite author, David Foster Wallace, titled "This Is Water." It was tough to pick just ONE excerpt from this piece, as it is chock full of wisdom, but this anecdote summarizes all of his points fairly well:

"There are these two young fish swimming along and they happen to meet an older fish swimming the other way, who nods at them and says 'Morning, boys. How's the water?' And the two young fish swim on for a bit, and then eventually one of them looks over at the other and goes 'What the hell is water?'"

And, to bring it home...

"And I submit that this is what the real, no bull**** value of your liberal arts education is supposed to be about: how to keep from going through your comfortable, prosperous, respectable adult life dead, unconscious, a slave to your head and to your natural default setting of being uniquely, completely, imperially alone day in and day out. That may sound like hyperbole, or abstract nonsense. Let's get concrete. The plain fact is that you graduating seniors do not yet have any clue what 'day in day out' really means. There happen to be whole, large parts of adult American life that nobody talks about in commencement speeches. One such part involves boredom, routine and petty frustration. The parents and older folks here will know all too well what I'm talking about."

So... What's your favorite quote?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 11:18:41 AM
At 9/27/2012 11:17:10 AM, chrumbelievable wrote:
I'm attempting to assemble a list of the best quotes of all time.

These can be quotes from books, movies, TV shows, political and social figures, and more.

My favorite quote is from a commencement speech delivered by my favorite author, David Foster Wallace, titled "This Is Water." It was tough to pick just ONE excerpt from this piece, as it is chock full of wisdom, but this anecdote summarizes all of his points fairly well:

"There are these two young fish swimming along and they happen to meet an older fish swimming the other way, who nods at them and says 'Morning, boys. How's the water?' And the two young fish swim on for a bit, and then eventually one of them looks over at the other and goes 'What the hell is water?'"

And, to bring it home...

"And I submit that this is what the real, no bull**** value of your liberal arts education is supposed to be about: how to keep from going through your comfortable, prosperous, respectable adult life dead, unconscious, a slave to your head and to your natural default setting of being uniquely, completely, imperially alone day in and day out. That may sound like hyperbole, or abstract nonsense. Let's get concrete. The plain fact is that you graduating seniors do not yet have any clue what 'day in day out' really means. There happen to be whole, large parts of adult American life that nobody talks about in commencement speeches. One such part involves boredom, routine and petty frustration. The parents and older folks here will know all too well what I'm talking about."

So... What's your favorite quote?

Ask not what your country can do for you. But what you can do for your country.

-John F Kennedy
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 12:28:08 PM
Impossible to tell. There are countless good ones, and even two seemingly equally good can be better than one another when applied to different contexts.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 12:29:27 PM
In Balkan they say, "The mad gypsy woman has an empty bag." That means people who live off of the help of others will have empty bags if they're not content with the help they get already. (Though it's the complete opposite for the leftists.)
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 12:42:10 PM
A fire broke out backstage in a theatre. The clown came out to warn the public; they thought it was a joke and applauded. He repeated it; the acclaim was even greater. I think that"s just how the world will come to an end: to general applause from wits who believe it"s a joke.- Soren Kierkegaard

I only choose the best quotes of all time for my signature.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 12:43:43 PM
At 9/27/2012 11:18:41 AM, inferno wrote:

-John F Kennedy

That's terrible. Besides the broad conceptual problems with 'country' in the quote, it's absurd to think that you owe the State anything. I mean even social contract theorists agree that people aren't here to serve the State (fvck you Hegel), but that the State is here to serve us.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 1:02:56 PM
"The best way out is through" - Robert Frost

"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi

And my new favourite is:

"The result of an education by novels and romances can be two-fold. Either the individual sinks deeper and deeper into illusion, or he emerges from it and loses faith in the illusion, but gains a belief in mystification. In the illusion the individual is hidden from himself; in mystification, he is hidden from others, but both cases are results of a romantic training." - Kierkegaard
yang.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 1:04:56 PM
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken." -- (The late, great) Col. Sanders
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 1:24:31 PM
At 9/27/2012 12:42:10 PM, socialpinko wrote:
A fire broke out backstage in a theatre. The clown came out to warn the public; they thought it was a joke and applauded. He repeated it; the acclaim was even greater. I think that"s just how the world will come to an end: to general applause from wits who believe it"s a joke.- Soren Kierkegaard

I only choose the best quotes of all time for my signature.

Geo would also love this quote.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 6:40:18 PM
"To him who looks upon the world rationally, the world in its turn presents a rational aspect. The relation is mutual." -Hegel

I can't resist quoting this everywhere.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 6:48:42 PM
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" -Socrates
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 7:02:38 PM
"You'd be surprised how often the impossible happens."

-OberHerr
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 4:52:15 AM
At 9/27/2012 12:43:43 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/27/2012 11:18:41 AM, inferno wrote:

-Kim Il-Sung

That's terrible. Besides the broad conceptual problems with 'country' in the quote, it's absurd to think that you owe the State anything. I mean even social contract theorists agree that people aren't here to serve the State (fvck you Hegel), but that the State is here to serve us.

JFK totally ripped that quote off another famous figure.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 5:38:37 AM
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 3:19:12 PM
At 9/27/2012 11:42:01 AM, Koopin wrote:
"It's so big!"

- Your mom.

<3
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 3:19:43 PM
At 9/28/2012 1:04:56 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken." -- (The late, great) Col. Sanders

May he, and his 11 herbs and spices recipe R.I.P
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 2:14:42 AM
"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and uh, I believe that our ed-education like such as, in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uh, our education ever here, in the U.S. should help the U.S. ever, should help South Africa, it should help Iraq and other Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future."
~Miss Teen South Carolina 2007
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 2:26:03 AM
"I'm too-----------------

Yo Paradigm, I'm really happy for you, I'mma let you finish, but Koopin had one of the best chicken quotes of all time. One of the best chicken quotes of all time!

KFC
--Koopin
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 10:41:36 AM
Former Danish PM:

"So we have decided to make a system where you have to return a little less than before. That's what we've decided, and that of course leads to that those who earn more and return much, and now return little less, well they return more less than those who earn little less, and return less, and so return less less."
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 10:59:36 AM
At 9/30/2012 10:41:36 AM, Mirza wrote:
Former Danish PM:

"So we have decided to make a system where you have to return a little less than before. That's what we've decided, and that of course leads to that those who earn more and return much, and now return little less, well they return more less than those who earn little less, and return less, and so return less less."

lol what?
yang.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 11:03:03 AM
At 9/30/2012 2:26:03 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
"I'm too-----------------

Yo Paradigm, I'm really happy for you, I'mma let you finish, but Koopin had one of the best chicken quotes of all time. One of the best chicken quotes of all time!

KFC
--Koopin

lol
kfc