Total Posts:26|Showing Posts:1-26
Jump to topic:

Low IQ and Conservatism Linked to Prejudice

s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2012 3:47:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"Low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, the study found."

"Polling data and social and political science research do show that prejudice is more common in those who hold right-wing ideals that those of other political persuasions, Nosek told LiveScience."

"Earlier studies have found links between low levels of education and higher levels of prejudice, Hodson said, so studying intelligence seemed a logical next step. The researchers turned to two studies of citizens in the United Kingdom, one that has followed babies since their births in March 1958, and another that did the same for babies born in April 1970. The children in the studies had their intelligence assessed at age 10 or 11; as adults ages 30 or 33, their levels of social conservatism and racism were measured.

In the first study, verbal and nonverbal intelligence was measured using tests that asked people to find similarities and differences between words, shapes and symbols. The second study measured cognitive abilities in four ways, including number recall, shape-drawing tasks, defining words and identifying patterns and similarities among words. Average IQ is set at 100.

Social conservatives were defined as people who agreed with a laundry list of statements such as 'Family life suffers if mum is working full-time,' and 'Schools should teach children to obey authority.'"

"In another study, this one in the United States, Hodson and Busseri compared 254 people with the same amount of education but different levels of ability in abstract reasoning. They found that what applies to racism may also apply to homophobia. People who were poorer at abstract reasoning were more likely to exhibit prejudice against gays. As in the U.K. citizens, a lack of contact with gays and more acceptance of right-wing authoritarianism explained the link."

http://www.livescience.com...
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2012 4:56:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Conservatism addresses a lot of different issues. Judging by the studies, I assume you mean social conservatives, or better yet, social authoritarians. Be more specific in your labelling.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2012 6:31:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/3/2012 4:56:11 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Conservatism addresses a lot of different issues. Judging by the studies, I assume you mean social conservatives, or better yet, social authoritarians. Be more specific in your labelling.

Sorry. The title of the article was "Low IQ and Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice", but the title was too long for the Topic line; so I shortened it. The article is about social conservatism, in particular.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2012 6:40:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't doubt it. I, along with many other members of DDO, are economically conservative and socially liberal. Also known as libertarian (although I don't label myself as libertarian).
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Chicken
Posts: 1,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2012 7:27:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/3/2012 6:40:39 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I don't doubt it. I, along with many other members of DDO, are economically conservative and socially liberal. Also known as libertarian (although I don't label myself as libertarian).
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
YYW
Posts: 36,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2012 10:29:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Interesting to the extent that IQ studies and their intersection with political can be interesting.
Tsar of DDO
EvanK
Posts: 599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2012 10:51:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/3/2012 7:27:44 PM, Chicken wrote:
At 10/3/2012 6:40:39 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I don't doubt it. I, along with many other members of DDO, are economically conservative and socially liberal. Also known as libertarian (although I don't label myself as libertarian).
The problem with socialism is that, sooner or later, you run out of people's money."_Margaret Thatcher

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."_Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."_Thomas Jefferson

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them that they have been fooled."-Mark Twain
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 7:47:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/3/2012 3:47:49 PM, s-anthony wrote:
"Low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, the study found."

"Polling data and social and political science research do show that prejudice is more common in those who hold right-wing ideals that those of other political persuasions, Nosek told LiveScience."

"Earlier studies have found links between low levels of education and higher levels of prejudice, Hodson said, so studying intelligence seemed a logical next step. The researchers turned to two studies of citizens in the United Kingdom, one that has followed babies since their births in March 1958, and another that did the same for babies born in April 1970. The children in the studies had their intelligence assessed at age 10 or 11; as adults ages 30 or 33, their levels of social conservatism and racism were measured.

In the first study, verbal and nonverbal intelligence was measured using tests that asked people to find similarities and differences between words, shapes and symbols. The second study measured cognitive abilities in four ways, including number recall, shape-drawing tasks, defining words and identifying patterns and similarities among words. Average IQ is set at 100.

Social conservatives were defined as people who agreed with a laundry list of statements such as 'Family life suffers if mum is working full-time,' and 'Schools should teach children to obey authority.'"

"In another study, this one in the United States, Hodson and Busseri compared 254 people with the same amount of education but different levels of ability in abstract reasoning. They found that what applies to racism may also apply to homophobia. People who were poorer at abstract reasoning were more likely to exhibit prejudice against gays. As in the U.K. citizens, a lack of contact with gays and more acceptance of right-wing authoritarianism explained the link."

http://www.livescience.com...

Better to have a lower IQ and common sense than a high IQ and no sense.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 8:43:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/5/2012 7:47:43 PM, sadolite wrote:
Better to have a lower IQ and common sense than a high IQ and no sense.

So, being a bigot makes common sense?
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 8:57:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/3/2012 6:40:39 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I don't doubt it. I, along with many other members of DDO, are economically conservative and socially liberal. Also known as libertarian (although I don't label myself as libertarian).

Reminds me of this: http://www.debate.org...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 7:38:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/5/2012 8:43:59 PM, s-anthony wrote:
At 10/5/2012 7:47:43 PM, sadolite wrote:
Better to have a lower IQ and common sense than a high IQ and no sense.

So, being a bigot makes common sense?

You of course have never met me and like many on this site throw such words around rendering them to have no meaning what so ever. I would bet you are the bigot and not me. Because you use the word so loosely and you use it in the atypical style that a "real bigot" would use it. Without provocation or proof. You use it to deflect attention away from your own character flaws and bigotry towards other views and people.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 9:03:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/6/2012 7:38:28 AM, sadolite wrote:
You of course have never met me and like many on this site throw such words around rendering them to have no meaning what so ever. I would bet you are the bigot and not me. Because you use the word so loosely and you use it in the atypical style that a "real bigot" would use it. Without provocation or proof. You use it to deflect attention away from your own character flaws and bigotry towards other views and people.

Would it hurt you to, at least, read the title of the article, before posting a comment? In case you didn't notice it, I'll repeat it: "Low IQ and Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice".
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 10:50:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/6/2012 9:03:00 AM, s-anthony wrote:
At 10/6/2012 7:38:28 AM, sadolite wrote:
You of course have never met me and like many on this site throw such words around rendering them to have no meaning what so ever. I would bet you are the bigot and not me. Because you use the word so loosely and you use it in the atypical style that a "real bigot" would use it. Without provocation or proof. You use it to deflect attention away from your own character flaws and bigotry towards other views and people.

Would it hurt you to, at least, read the title of the article, before posting a comment? In case you didn't notice it, I'll repeat it: "Low IQ and Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice".

Polling data? Ya now theres some hard hitting scientific research. Quit reading after those words.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 2:42:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/3/2012 6:40:39 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I don't doubt it. I, along with many other members of DDO, are economically conservative and socially liberal. Also known as libertarian (although I don't label myself as libertarian).

Explain socially liberal, because I lose something here. Is a nanny state socially liberal or socially conservative? Is it socially liberal or conservative to want state sponsored healthcare for all? Is it liberal to ban smoking tobaco or conservative to ban smoking pot? I won't go into abortion, but I think you get where I'm coming from.

Interesting when the use of IQ is used to denegrate the enemies of the left, but when it provides substantive information for race based IQ conclusions, it's discounted and dismissed vehemently.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 3:10:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/8/2012 2:42:35 PM, innomen wrote:
At 10/3/2012 6:40:39 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I don't doubt it. I, along with many other members of DDO, are economically conservative and socially liberal. Also known as libertarian (although I don't label myself as libertarian).

Explain socially liberal, because I lose something here. Is a nanny state socially liberal or socially conservative? Is it socially liberal or conservative to want state sponsored healthcare for all? Is it liberal to ban smoking tobaco or conservative to ban smoking pot? I won't go into abortion, but I think you get where I'm coming from.

Interesting when the use of IQ is used to denegrate the enemies of the left, but when it provides substantive information for race based IQ conclusions, it's discounted and dismissed vehemently.

Right, I suppose the definition of social conservative is mucky. But, I suppose socially conservative as in: against gay marriage, interracial marriage, anti-porn, and such. Someone like Rick Santorum would be considered on the socially conservative end.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 3:39:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/8/2012 3:10:43 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/8/2012 2:42:35 PM, innomen wrote:
At 10/3/2012 6:40:39 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I don't doubt it. I, along with many other members of DDO, are economically conservative and socially liberal. Also known as libertarian (although I don't label myself as libertarian).

Explain socially liberal, because I lose something here. Is a nanny state socially liberal or socially conservative? Is it socially liberal or conservative to want state sponsored healthcare for all? Is it liberal to ban smoking tobaco or conservative to ban smoking pot? I won't go into abortion, but I think you get where I'm coming from.

Interesting when the use of IQ is used to denegrate the enemies of the left, but when it provides substantive information for race based IQ conclusions, it's discounted and dismissed vehemently.

Right, I suppose the definition of social conservative is mucky. But, I suppose socially conservative as in: against gay marriage, interracial marriage, anti-porn, and such. Someone like Rick Santorum would be considered on the socially conservative end.

Traditional =/= Conservative
Aaronroy
Posts: 749
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 7:23:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/8/2012 3:39:53 PM, innomen wrote:
At 10/8/2012 3:10:43 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/8/2012 2:42:35 PM, innomen wrote:
At 10/3/2012 6:40:39 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I don't doubt it. I, along with many other members of DDO, are economically conservative and socially liberal. Also known as libertarian (although I don't label myself as libertarian).

Explain socially liberal, because I lose something here. Is a nanny state socially liberal or socially conservative? Is it socially liberal or conservative to want state sponsored healthcare for all? Is it liberal to ban smoking tobaco or conservative to ban smoking pot? I won't go into abortion, but I think you get where I'm coming from.

Interesting when the use of IQ is used to denegrate the enemies of the left, but when it provides substantive information for race based IQ conclusions, it's discounted and dismissed vehemently.

Right, I suppose the definition of social conservative is mucky. But, I suppose socially conservative as in: against gay marriage, interracial marriage, anti-porn, and such. Someone like Rick Santorum would be considered on the socially conservative end.

Traditional =/= Conservative
Social conservatism is a political ideology that focuses on the preservation of what are seen as traditional values.

Brought to you by ye olde wikipedia.
turn down for h'what
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 9:19:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/8/2012 2:42:35 PM, innomen wrote:
At 10/3/2012 6:40:39 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I don't doubt it. I, along with many other members of DDO, are economically conservative and socially liberal. Also known as libertarian (although I don't label myself as libertarian).

Explain socially liberal, because I lose something here. Is a nanny state socially liberal or socially conservative? Is it socially liberal or conservative to want state sponsored healthcare for all? Is it liberal to ban smoking tobaco or conservative to ban smoking pot? I won't go into abortion, but I think you get where I'm coming from.

Interesting when the use of IQ is used to denegrate the enemies of the left, but when it provides substantive information for race based IQ conclusions, it's discounted and dismissed vehemently.

Conservative are also inconsistent in their beliefs regarding IQ. When studies favor Caucasians over African Americans, IQ tests are great. When recent studies (published in July 2012) show that women are more intelligent than men, they're suddenly just meaningless exams that were designed to make white men fail.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 9:27:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/8/2012 9:19:48 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 10/8/2012 2:42:35 PM, innomen wrote:
At 10/3/2012 6:40:39 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I don't doubt it. I, along with many other members of DDO, are economically conservative and socially liberal. Also known as libertarian (although I don't label myself as libertarian).

Explain socially liberal, because I lose something here. Is a nanny state socially liberal or socially conservative? Is it socially liberal or conservative to want state sponsored healthcare for all? Is it liberal to ban smoking tobaco or conservative to ban smoking pot? I won't go into abortion, but I think you get where I'm coming from.

Interesting when the use of IQ is used to denegrate the enemies of the left, but when it provides substantive information for race based IQ conclusions, it's discounted and dismissed vehemently.

Conservative are also inconsistent in their beliefs regarding IQ. When studies favor Caucasians over African Americans, IQ tests are great. When recent studies (published in July 2012) show that women are more intelligent than men, they're suddenly just meaningless exams that were designed to make white men fail.

Curious what the source of this study and what the previous gap was, and what the specific type of IQ tested was. There are multiple different IQ tests you know.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 9:28:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/8/2012 9:27:04 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/8/2012 9:19:48 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 10/8/2012 2:42:35 PM, innomen wrote:
At 10/3/2012 6:40:39 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I don't doubt it. I, along with many other members of DDO, are economically conservative and socially liberal. Also known as libertarian (although I don't label myself as libertarian).

Explain socially liberal, because I lose something here. Is a nanny state socially liberal or socially conservative? Is it socially liberal or conservative to want state sponsored healthcare for all? Is it liberal to ban smoking tobaco or conservative to ban smoking pot? I won't go into abortion, but I think you get where I'm coming from.

Interesting when the use of IQ is used to denegrate the enemies of the left, but when it provides substantive information for race based IQ conclusions, it's discounted and dismissed vehemently.

Conservative are also inconsistent in their beliefs regarding IQ. When studies favor Caucasians over African Americans, IQ tests are great. When recent studies (published in July 2012) show that women are more intelligent than men, they're suddenly just meaningless exams that were designed to make white men fail.

Curious what the source of this study and what the previous gap was, and what the specific type of IQ tested was. There are multiple different IQ tests you know.

I'm not sure if the book is out yet or not, but Flynn (the guy who discovered the Flynn effect) conducted the study.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 9:29:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/8/2012 9:27:04 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/8/2012 9:19:48 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 10/8/2012 2:42:35 PM, innomen wrote:
At 10/3/2012 6:40:39 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I don't doubt it. I, along with many other members of DDO, are economically conservative and socially liberal. Also known as libertarian (although I don't label myself as libertarian).

Explain socially liberal, because I lose something here. Is a nanny state socially liberal or socially conservative? Is it socially liberal or conservative to want state sponsored healthcare for all? Is it liberal to ban smoking tobaco or conservative to ban smoking pot? I won't go into abortion, but I think you get where I'm coming from.

Interesting when the use of IQ is used to denegrate the enemies of the left, but when it provides substantive information for race based IQ conclusions, it's discounted and dismissed vehemently.

Conservative are also inconsistent in their beliefs regarding IQ. When studies favor Caucasians over African Americans, IQ tests are great. When recent studies (published in July 2012) show that women are more intelligent than men, they're suddenly just meaningless exams that were designed to make white men fail.

Curious what the source of this study and what the previous gap was, and what the specific type of IQ tested was. There are multiple different IQ tests you know.

So royal, have you given up on your racial egalitarian position and believe that there is deferring cognitive ability between races?

I actually do believe that women are better on average on verbal testing and linguistics while men on average tend to score better at spatial-reasoning tests.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 9:48:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The IQ and women thing does make somewhat sense. All things being equal, beautiful people are more intelligent and beautiful people more likely to have women.

http://www.psychologytoday.com...

Although people who are more beautiful are only *slighlty* more like to have children. Only 2% more likely to have a women If you are an attractive couple, so we would expect women t have a small increase in intelligence.

http://www.psychologytoday.com...
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 9:51:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/8/2012 9:29:31 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/8/2012 9:27:04 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/8/2012 9:19:48 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 10/8/2012 2:42:35 PM, innomen wrote:
At 10/3/2012 6:40:39 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I don't doubt it. I, along with many other members of DDO, are economically conservative and socially liberal. Also known as libertarian (although I don't label myself as libertarian).

Explain socially liberal, because I lose something here. Is a nanny state socially liberal or socially conservative? Is it socially liberal or conservative to want state sponsored healthcare for all? Is it liberal to ban smoking tobaco or conservative to ban smoking pot? I won't go into abortion, but I think you get where I'm coming from.

Interesting when the use of IQ is used to denegrate the enemies of the left, but when it provides substantive information for race based IQ conclusions, it's discounted and dismissed vehemently.

Conservative are also inconsistent in their beliefs regarding IQ. When studies favor Caucasians over African Americans, IQ tests are great. When recent studies (published in July 2012) show that women are more intelligent than men, they're suddenly just meaningless exams that were designed to make white men fail.

Curious what the source of this study and what the previous gap was, and what the specific type of IQ tested was. There are multiple different IQ tests you know.

So royal, have you given up on your racial egalitarian position and believe that there is deferring cognitive ability between races?

Yes, but I do not think that lower cognitive ability is associated with inferiority (I would say that an individual with Down Syndrome is superior to Madoff and Jeffrey Dahmer, for example) and I do think that proper eduction can override any differences that do result from innate cognitive ability.
I actually do believe that women are better on average on verbal testing and linguistics while men on average tend to score better at spatial-reasoning tests.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 10:03:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/8/2012 9:51:01 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 10/8/2012 9:29:31 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/8/2012 9:27:04 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/8/2012 9:19:48 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 10/8/2012 2:42:35 PM, innomen wrote:
At 10/3/2012 6:40:39 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I don't doubt it. I, along with many other members of DDO, are economically conservative and socially liberal. Also known as libertarian (although I don't label myself as libertarian).

Explain socially liberal, because I lose something here. Is a nanny state socially liberal or socially conservative? Is it socially liberal or conservative to want state sponsored healthcare for all? Is it liberal to ban smoking tobaco or conservative to ban smoking pot? I won't go into abortion, but I think you get where I'm coming from.

Interesting when the use of IQ is used to denegrate the enemies of the left, but when it provides substantive information for race based IQ conclusions, it's discounted and dismissed vehemently.

Conservative are also inconsistent in their beliefs regarding IQ. When studies favor Caucasians over African Americans, IQ tests are great. When recent studies (published in July 2012) show that women are more intelligent than men, they're suddenly just meaningless exams that were designed to make white men fail.

Curious what the source of this study and what the previous gap was, and what the specific type of IQ tested was. There are multiple different IQ tests you know.

So royal, have you given up on your racial egalitarian position and believe that there is deferring cognitive ability between races?

Yes, but I do not think that lower cognitive ability is associated with inferiority (I would say that an individual with Down Syndrome is superior to Madoff and Jeffrey Dahmer, for example) and I do think that proper eduction can override any differences that do result from innate cognitive ability.
I actually do believe that women are better on average on verbal testing and linguistics while men on average tend to score better at spatial-reasoning tests.

Glad you finally came to the dark side. Although most hereditarians don't argue that lower cognitive ability implies inferiority.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 10:59:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/7/2012 10:50:21 AM, sadolite wrote:
Polling data? Ya now theres some hard hitting scientific research. Quit reading after those words.

The post is excerpted from an online news article. Here is the link to the article: http://www.livescience.com...

The article is about a study found in the journal Psychological Science. Here is the citation for the article:

Hodson, Gordon; Busseri, Michael A. "Bright Minds and Dark Attitudes: Lower Cognitive Ability Predicts Greater Prejudice Through Right-Wing Ideology and Low Intergroup Contact" Psychological Science 23.2 (2012)
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 11:09:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/3/2012 3:47:49 PM, s-anthony wrote:
"Low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, the study found."

"Polling data and social and political science research do show that prejudice is more common in those who hold right-wing ideals that those of other political persuasions, Nosek told LiveScience."

"Earlier studies have found links between low levels of education and higher levels of prejudice, Hodson said, so studying intelligence seemed a logical next step. The researchers turned to two studies of citizens in the United Kingdom, one that has followed babies since their births in March 1958, and another that did the same for babies born in April 1970. The children in the studies had their intelligence assessed at age 10 or 11; as adults ages 30 or 33, their levels of social conservatism and racism were measured.

In the first study, verbal and nonverbal intelligence was measured using tests that asked people to find similarities and differences between words, shapes and symbols. The second study measured cognitive abilities in four ways, including number recall, shape-drawing tasks, defining words and identifying patterns and similarities among words. Average IQ is set at 100.

Social conservatives were defined as people who agreed with a laundry list of statements such as 'Family life suffers if mum is working full-time,' and 'Schools should teach children to obey authority.'"

"In another study, this one in the United States, Hodson and Busseri compared 254 people with the same amount of education but different levels of ability in abstract reasoning. They found that what applies to racism may also apply to homophobia. People who were poorer at abstract reasoning were more likely to exhibit prejudice against gays. As in the U.K. citizens, a lack of contact with gays and more acceptance of right-wing authoritarianism explained the link."

http://www.livescience.com...

I agree. Conservative people are usually intellectually inept and are so naive and taken by propaganda. They do not want real facts because it puts them at a great disadvantage socially speaking. So it is easier for them to follow things or illusions which makes them feel superior to others. But at the same time behind the times and incompetent overall.