Jump to topic:

Hitting women?

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:08:08 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Today, my sister came home from a vacation. While she was away, I "hacked" (Hacked is such a harsh word, she just gave me her password and forgot to change it). Anyway, she got really mad not because I anged one or two things on it, but because I went on an application her facebook (Farmville, you run a farm) she's addicted to, and basically f'ed it up and left a message of 'HA!' in dead crops. Anyway when she realised my handiwork, she got rally mad over something that has no application to her real life.

She then started hitting me (Shes the older one), each hit a deftly blocked, and considered a nice punch in the face. However, I over-philosophise, as I considered the benefit of punching my sister in the face with justification versus my Dad not seeing the ever-so-obvious justification. By the time I had reached a conclusion, she had stormed out of my room. I then realised I'll probably never get a similar chance to do so without repercussions. Ad I just barely saved my computer by claiming her assault of me did not justify the fact I screwed up her farmville, which is apparently 'a big thing to her' (At 19, I'd understand if she was 9), which speaks volumes about her life.

So, thoughts? Would I be justified in retaliating against my sister?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:12:24 AM
At 9/27/2009 10:11:01 AM, theLwerd wrote:
This post is hilarious lol. I'd say that it all depends... is your sister hot?

Acne, small and overweight. Nothing you'd like.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:13:20 AM
HA HA FARMVILLE

Ditto to theLw- wait a minute, why would whether or not Panda's sister's hotness factor matter to him? Are you attempting to suggest something?
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:16:30 AM
On a more serious note, Panda, let's consider the obvious: What you did was bratty, unnecessary and annoying. So, instead of attacking HER maturity in this situation, why not consider your own? Tool. Also, who cares if your sister has fun with a Facebook application? You're the one who brags about having upwards of 5,000 forum posts on a DEBATING website... which, might I add, you haven't done much debating, so basically you pride yourself on chatting away to people whom you'll probably never meet and whose existence is really irrelevant to your own. Admit it: If she hacked your DDO account, you'd be PISSED OFF (and rightfully so).

So now, my personal opinion is that violence indeed doesn't really solve anything here; however, in this case I'd say you entirely deserved the beating. I mean there's nothing else she could really do to get back at you, eh? And, if you hit her back, then basically you'd have one up on her. You screwed with her things - she hit you - so you're essentially even as could be. By you fighting back, you'd disrupt this little balance. So, my completely unprofessional opinion is that no, you shouldn't have hit her back. Good boy :)
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:17:11 AM
At 9/27/2009 10:12:24 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/27/2009 10:11:01 AM, theLwerd wrote:
This post is hilarious lol. I'd say that it all depends... is your sister hot?

Acne, small and overweight. Nothing you'd like.

I don't have a type! But I do have a girlfriend :)
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:17:58 AM
You attacked her virtual property. She had every right to hit you.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:19:47 AM
At 9/27/2009 10:16:30 AM, theLwerd wrote:
On a more serious note, Panda, let's consider the obvious: What you did was bratty, unnecessary and annoying. So, instead of attacking HER maturity in this situation, why not consider your own? Tool. Also, who cares if your sister has fun with a Facebook application? You're the one who brags about having upwards of 5,000 forum posts on a DEBATING website... which, might I add, you haven't done much debating, so basically you pride yourself on chatting away to people whom you'll probably never meet and whose existence is really irrelevant to your own. Admit it: If she hacked your DDO account, you'd be PISSED OFF (and rightfully so).

So now, my personal opinion is that violence indeed doesn't really solve anything here; however, in this case I'd say you entirely deserved the beating. I mean there's nothing else she could really do to get back at you, eh? And, if you hit her back, then basically you'd have one up on her. You screwed with her things - she hit you - so you're essentially even as could be. By you fighting back, you'd disrupt this little balance. So, my completely unprofessional opinion is that no, you shouldn't have hit her back. Good boy :)

Phh, Feminist

On a more serious note,I wouldn't be devastated to the point I assault my sister if she messed up my DDO account. What I did may be immature, but my sister was stupid enough to not change her password.

Also, it was alot more than just a punch. It was almost an assault. And she bent my ruler :(, which imperative for two of my subjects.

And I bragged about my 5000 posts, like, what, once?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:21:32 AM
At 9/27/2009 10:17:58 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

lol, virtual property? In all actuality facebook are lending it to her.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:29:35 AM
At 9/27/2009 10:21:32 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

And, you have a right to steal something just because it's current possessor owns it by means of a loan agreement rather than full purchase or original acquisition?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:30:28 AM
At 9/27/2009 10:29:35 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 9/27/2009 10:21:32 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

And, you have a right to steal something just because it's current possessor owns it by means of a loan agreement rather than full purchase or original acquisition?

Still...virtual property?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:31:13 AM
At 9/27/2009 10:24:36 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Feminism ftw. Anyway, I still say you're even.

Oh, and I had to pay her €10 for it. Now, what do you say?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:32:34 AM

Lol I didn't know that you believed in violence as a punishment for theft anyway. Osama.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:33:21 AM
At 9/27/2009 10:31:13 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

I'd say that now you're even. But the beating helped :)
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:35:23 AM
What about it? People invest time in its creation just like property in the physical plane.

Lol I didn't know that you believed in violence as a punishment for theft anyway.
All punishment implies violence somewhere down the line. I don't understand why people would wish to disguise it. Well, I do, but I don't subject myself to the rule that you can never name what you mean out of contradictory shame :)
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:39:28 AM
At 9/27/2009 10:35:23 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
What about it? People invest time in its creation just like property in the physical plane.

Lol I didn't know that you believed in violence as a punishment for theft anyway.
All punishment implies violence somewhere down the line. I don't understand why people would wish to disguise it. Well, I do, but I don't subject myself to the rule that you can never name what you mean out of contradictory shame :)

If she brought it to the authorities, she would be fruitless. So vigilantism is now justified?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:40:04 AM
At 9/27/2009 10:33:21 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 9/27/2009 10:31:13 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

I'd say that now you're even. But the beating helped :)

Wut? It was an assault. I really regret not socking her one.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:44:44 AM
*guilty look*
Kleptin likes playing facebook games...
*twiddles thumbs >___>*

Most procrastination tools are effective because they allow you to solve problems on a small scale and boost your confidence and relieve your stress. This helps you tackle larger problems.

It's why people like to unwind by shooting zombies before they study for a test. The greater the sense of accomplishment, the more effective and yes, addictive, the procrastination tool.

Farmville is no different. And the mechanics of the game can make it quite devastating...

It gives you a plot of land, and a sum of money. The money is poured into the land, and it gives a return + profit, allowing you to pour more money into the land and get greater return.

Suffice to say, the fastest way to play the game is to pour all your money each cycle.

If panda were to hack in and pour all of his sister's liquid assets into crops, then wait beyond the time limit so that the crops all die, he would effectively make her start from square one.

Isn't that distressing?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:48:10 AM
At 9/27/2009 10:39:28 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

If she brought it to the authorities, she would be fruitless.
That's the authorities' fault. You should of course be able to avoid a beating for a first offense by compensating her for all hours invested, but otherwise..

So vigilantism is now justified?
When the authorities are indeed not just :).
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 11:11:57 AM
At 9/27/2009 10:48:10 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

If she brought it to the authorities, she would be fruitless.
That's the authorities' fault. You should of course be able to avoid a beating for a first offense by compensating her for all hours invested, but otherwise..

Well, I can understand fair compensation, but letting her have physical revenge is hardly justice. :)

This assumes that vigilantism is any better than the unjust authorities. Speaking of which, when are the aforementioned authorities unjust? That is, under what circumstances? :P
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 11:12:18 AM
When the authorities are indeed not just according to what I say is just :).

Fix'd.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 11:16:48 AM
Well, I can understand fair compensation, but letting her have physical revenge is hardly justice. :)
Next best thing, since she can hardly enforce compensation. If you want nicey-nicey punishment for firsoffenders you'd better put the infrastructure in place to make it so the punishers can afford that sort.

This assumes that vigilantism is any better than the unjust authorities.
And? The vigilantism here was. Unless you'd like to dispute that?

Speaking of which, when are the aforementioned authorities unjust? That is, under what circumstances? :P
When they violate someone's life, liberty, or property; or permit for no effective means to enforce these against those who do violate.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 11:17:22 AM
At 9/27/2009 11:14:45 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/27/2009 11:12:18 AM, Volkov wrote:

Fix'd.

Ohhhh, danke sehr. :D

She has priority in our Yukon summer camps.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 11:23:35 AM

Fix'd.

btw, what's the content of this supposed to be?

If you're arguing that it's derived from the mere fact that I say it, false.

If you're arguing someone's gotta say it, that applies to every argument, uniquenss criterion :P
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 11:24:12 AM
At 9/27/2009 11:16:48 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Next best thing, since she can hardly enforce compensation. If you want nicey-nicey punishment for firsoffenders you'd better put the infrastructure in place to make it so the punishers can afford that sort.

I didn't say I wanted a gentle punishment; however, she shouldn't be the one to carry it out, unless she's prepared to be hit back; after all, I think the degree of physical violence outweighs the violation of insignificant digital 'property'. I certainly don't think that messing around with Farmville was the right thing to do, though; I think that he should have lost computer/internet privileges, instead of being attacked by an angry sibling.

This assumes that vigilantism is any better than the unjust authorities.
And? The vigilantism here was. Unless you'd like to dispute that?

I'm not sure what authorities you're referring to in this scenario. The parents? Why was the sister's angry arbitration beneficial in this situation?

Speaking of which, when are the aforementioned authorities unjust? That is, under what circumstances? :P
When they violate someone's life, liberty, or property; or permit for no effective means to enforce these against those who do violate.

I'll agree to that. An impotent government deserves to be trashed, and one which violates the privileges earned by its citizens is just asking for violent revolution.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 11:24:59 AM
At 9/27/2009 11:17:22 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Fix'd.

Actually, we hold camp year-round now. :) And it's completely free!
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 11:27:43 AM
At 9/27/2009 11:24:59 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Fix'd.

I don't think Yukoners would appreciate a bunch of Americans showing up to work in 'summer camps.'

Just sayin'.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 11:29:13 AM
At 9/27/2009 11:27:43 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/27/2009 11:24:59 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Fix'd.

I don't think Yukoners would appreciate a bunch of Americans showing up to work in 'summer camps.'

Just sayin'.

Actually, the people in the Yukon would be Americans also, after the proper negotiations. :D