Jump to topic:

Santa Claus

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 4:56:28 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Would you lie to your child about Santa, or tell them the truth?

Who was told as a child there was no Santa and turned out OK or not disappointed?
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 9:46:13 PM
Teaching children irrational beliefs simply aims their conceptual structures and resultant thinking in the wrong direction. At any rate knowing the truth does not diminish the night at any rate "a magic man will bring you presents tomorrow" vs. "it's a special day where you will get presents" - a child is going to be less concerned with the how than the what. ;)

Also I found the hiding place for presents longgggg before I was supposed to be 'old enough' to know better. The oh I've seen that before, oh it's from "Santa" deal was firmly established. Much like knowing the tooth fairy isn't the one paying for your teeth. :P
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 9:55:17 PM
At 9/27/2009 9:46:13 PM, Puck wrote:
Teaching children irrational beliefs simply aims their conceptual structures and resultant thinking in the wrong direction. At any rate knowing the truth does not diminish the night at any rate "a magic man will bring you presents tomorrow" vs. "it's a special day where you will get presents" - a child is going to be less concerned with the how than the what. ;)

Also I found the hiding place for presents longgggg before I was supposed to be 'old enough' to know better. The oh I've seen that before, oh it's from "Santa" deal was firmly established. Much like knowing the tooth fairy isn't the one paying for your teeth. :P

I feel the same way... and I found it as well...
My kids do not know santa... they think that the presents come from mommy and pappy.

I work hard for those presents, I should get the credit, not some old fat guy.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:17:27 PM
Besides which, even the ones who believe in Santa Claus, when they visit him at the mall, can at least figure out that he doesn't know when you are sleeping, nor know when you're awake, nor know if they've been bad or good. So they'll be bad for goodness' sake.

Whereas vigilant parents controlling the present supply-- now there's a heavy officer presence:).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:45:46 PM
Wait, wait, wait...Santa isn't real? *crize*

I don't think it really matters either way: with or without Santa, children will believe in superficial magic. Whether it be with Santa or with some scary monster in the closet, children yearn for ideas not present in the real world.

Will I tell my children, if I have children, about Santa Clause? Yeah, probably. It's a tradition. And personally, I discourage cynicism. I like that when I was growing up, I believed in extreme versions of good. That's what childhood is all about: believing in a simplified world and being happier because of it.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 1:04:19 AM
I found out Santa wasn't real when I was in 1st grade... dunno if that's considered early or not. Anyway, I'm kind of torn on this issue. On one hand, I'll probably feel like a bad parent if I take away the joy and optimism of Santa for my kids. On the other hand, I agree that I should get the credit for buying them the presents lol also I don't want to lie to them either. Hmm. I'll probably make up my own version of Santa... or have Santa bring them one gift, and I'll get them the rest ; )
President of DDO
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 3:11:24 AM
At 9/27/2009 9:55:17 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 9/27/2009 9:46:13 PM, Puck wrote:

I feel the same way... and I found it as well...
My kids do not know santa... they think that the presents come from mommy and pappy.

I work hard for those presents, I should get the credit, not some old fat guy.

Hell yeah.

I had two older brothers who were eager to eliminate any residual trace of innocence from me, so I don't remember ever believing in Santa Claus.

I was playing along with the fantasy for my daughter but before Christmas last year (she was 5, incidentally this was a little while after she figured out that God was a very unlikely concept) she turned round and asked me straight: "Daddy, some people say Father Christmas isn't real, is it true?" I found myself unwilling to lie to her and told her the truth.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 3:44:18 AM
At 9/27/2009 4:56:28 PM, comoncents wrote:

Who was told as a child there was no Santa and turned out OK or not disappointed?

My parents never got me anything that I wanted over the year, but they always got me *exactly* what I wanted on my birthday and on Christmas, provided that the cost was reasonable. I never really believed in Santa Clause and didn't care, since I got what I wanted anyway :P
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 4:36:47 AM
Perants teaching children that Santa exists, lowers them away from the belief in God. And into a world of materialism.

You should be able to see Santa but you never do, because he is too fast, you should never be able to see God because God is everywhere at once. If Santa was to travel to every home in the world, he would spend one millionth of a second at each house, our eye can only pick up speeds which are as much as one 20th of a second. So there is no telling if Sanat exists? However I know Santa does not because he was made up by a lie, and in theory Santa is really Satan.

The reason why Santa is red is because of the company coka cola, before then he was dressed in green.

Meaning that before Lucifa was kicked out of heaven he became green with envy or he was jealous. Then once kicked out he started a war against God, and he became angry with God. The colour red represents anger.

It also matches up with evolution and it is a all round good topic to look into.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 4:56:58 AM
At 9/28/2009 4:36:47 AM, GodSands wrote:
However I know Santa does not because he was made up by a lie, and in theory Santa is really Satan.

o.o

The reason why Santa is red is because of the company coka cola, before then he was dressed in green.

Eh no. http://www.snopes.com...

Meaning that before Lucifa was kicked out of heaven he became green with envy or he was jealous. Then once kicked out he started a war against God, and he became angry with God. The colour red represents anger.

O.o Green with envy is notably a Shakespaerian phrase, appearring in both Othello and Romeo and Juliet. It may have to do with classical Greek idea of humours and bodily effects, though some think it's a superstition type referent to cats.

Red with anger appears to be an etymon of inflamed.

It also matches up with evolution and it is a all round good topic to look into.

what?
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 5:22:24 AM
: At 9/28/2009 4:56:58 AM, Puck wrote:
At 9/28/2009 4:36:47 AM, GodSands wrote:
However I know Santa does not because he was made up by a lie, and in theory Santa is really Satan.

o.o

Eh no. http://www.snopes.com...

O.o Green with envy is notably a Shakespaerian phrase, appearring in both Othello and Romeo and Juliet. It may have to do with classical Greek idea of humours and bodily effects, though some think it's a superstition type referent to cats.

Red with anger appears to be an etymon of inflamed.

what?

I said it is a good all round topic to look into.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 7:01:50 AM

I'm going to attempt a 'third way' where we play a 'let's pretend' there's a Santa bringing the gifts etc, but we all know there's is not.
I can't justify lying to my kids whilst telling them the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 7:02:40 AM

I'm going to attempt a 'third way' where we play a 'let's pretend' there's a Santa bringing the gifts etc, but we all know there is not.
I can't justify lying to my kids whilst telling them the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 7:44:01 AM

Such irony...

I see no harm in it. Personally, I put two and two together because my parents never got us much for Christmas relative to grandparents (me and my brother were the only grandchildren so we had the hook up at Christmas). Yet Santa, this guy I had never even met, supposedly got me all this stuff.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 7:53:06 AM
At 9/28/2009 7:44:01 AM, Floid wrote:

Such irony...

Only if it is untrue. it is not. He is the Truth.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 8:26:39 AM
At 9/28/2009 4:49:39 AM, feverish wrote:
lol @ Christians using science to debunk Santa.

Lol but they can't figure out how to use science to explain their own fiction.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 8:29:42 AM
At 9/28/2009 7:53:06 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Only if it is untrue. it is not. He is the Truth.

He didn't even exist :) He's a plagiarized character whose existence - let alone the nonsense that surrounds him - cannot be proven. As far as I'm concerned, he's just about as real as Santa Clause. Except we know for sure that St. Nick was at least a real person. However, I don't really care if he exists or not. He was born, I got presents. He died, I got candy. Jesus rocks!
President of DDO
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2009 7:23:30 PM
Heh, this reminded me of how I confirmed the non-existence of Santa Claus (I had suspected him for some time though) ... My grandmother and mother were talking about how Santa Claus was going to bring all of these presents and, bluffing, I stated that it was okay and I knew and they didn't have to pretend anymore ... which resulted in my grandmother blurting out "Oh, you do? Okay." At which point I was able to say, "Well, I didn't actually know before, but I do now."

Then everyone turned chalk white. Fun times.

Personally I think I would skip it with my kids.
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2009 7:32:43 PM
At 10/5/2009 7:23:30 PM, Lexicaholic wrote:
Heh, this reminded me of how I confirmed the non-existence of Santa Claus (I had suspected him for some time though) ... My grandmother and mother were talking about how Santa Claus was going to bring all of these presents and, bluffing, I stated that it was okay and I knew and they didn't have to pretend anymore ... which resulted in my grandmother blurting out "Oh, you do? Okay." At which point I was able to say, "Well, I didn't actually know before, but I do now."

Then everyone turned chalk white. Fun times.

Personally I think I would skip it with my kids.

I was about 5 and I noticed the writing on the card saying "From Santa" was remarkably similar to my mother's writing.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
WoWfanatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2009 1:19:17 AM
in fact their was a santa but ofcuase he didnt have powers he was known as saint nick and he had all types of names across the world was a carpenter that made toy for poor children