Jump to topic:

Are all human societies the same?

falconduler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 5:35:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is life in norway the same as in Nigeria?

Is the cultural level in Ghana the same as in Germany?

Basically we are all the same . but why the difference. That is if you can see a difference.
falconduler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 5:42:45 PM
At 11/10/2012 5:36:18 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Depends on your standard of measurement.

no need to measure. is it the same . are they the same . is one better than the other?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 6:13:00 PM
At 11/10/2012 5:42:45 PM, falconduler wrote:

no need to measure. is it the same . are they the same . is one better than the other?

Is an apple better than an orange?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 6:33:24 PM
At 11/10/2012 5:35:34 PM, falconduler wrote:

Basically we are all the same . but why the difference. That is if you can see a difference.

We are not all the same. I am taller than some people. I am shorter than others. Some people have innies and some people have outtie sexual organs. We are all different, with different views, personalities, and life experiences. We also all live in different environments and so we will react differently to those environments. These differences will manifest into their societies and so the societies will also be different.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
falconduler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 5:05:22 PM
At 11/11/2012 6:13:36 AM, rross wrote:
What do you mean by "cultural level"?

It's subjective in a sense but very real in terms of life and death situations. Is it better to allow for a free and fair trial of a law breaker or to simply place him in a pot of boiling water ? Where would you place the "level" in its cultural context?
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 5:07:57 PM
Can you say "subjective"?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
falconduler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 5:22:26 PM
At 11/10/2012 6:13:00 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 11/10/2012 5:42:45 PM, falconduler wrote:

Is an apple better than an orange?
humans are not fruits ;maybe in the bay area.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 8:52:26 PM
Well, we're all the same in that we all live in post behavioral-modernity societies.

Other than that, global cultures became about as different as they could conceivably be up until about the mid 1800's when globalization really started to take off. Technically they all began to fuse as early as the mid 1400's, but IMO all the world's cultures were still strongly distinct until we started to see the emergence of a global fashion (European suits, for example).
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
falconduler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 4:38:49 PM
At 11/13/2012 8:52:26 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Well, we're all the same in that we all live in post behavioral-modernity societies.

Other than that, global cultures became about as different as they could conceivably be up until about the mid 1800's when globalization really started to take off. Technically they all began to fuse as early as the mid 1400's, but IMO all the world's cultures were still strongly distinct until we started to see the emergence of a global fashion (European suits, for example).

Europeans were buying and selling Africans who were nude ;While they were dressed in silk scarves, finely woven pantaloons and intricate brass breast plates.
in the mid 1500s.
falconduler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 4:41:03 PM
At 11/15/2012 4:38:49 PM, falconduler wrote:

Europeans were buying and selling Africans who were nude ;While they were dressed in silk scarves, finely woven pantaloons and intricate brass breast plates.
in the mid 1500s.

Fashion has nothing to do with it.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 6:28:46 AM
At 11/15/2012 4:38:49 PM, falconduler wrote:

in the mid 1500s.

And the Egyptians were building pyramids and temples when Europeans were painting themselves blue and running around naked. The Arabs invented guns, the Chinese invented vaccines and the printing press, etc. What's your point?

Do you want to debate about the fact that Africa is the way it is today as a result of theft of resources through colonialism and slavery?
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2012 5:30:42 AM
I can see a big difference between societies. For example, in some societies corruption is everywhere and in other societies it's rare. In some societies people feel a very strong sense of family responsibility but little responsibility for the rest of the community; elsewhere it's the other way around. In some places it's all about respect for authority, in others it's all about expressing yourself as an individual. There's huge differences.
I don't know how these differences came about. I do know, though, that if you live long enough in another society you end up changing to fit in even if you don't want to. Society is stronger than the individual.
But I'm sensing that the original question wasn't exactly about this. Is it more about wanting to say, 'this society (perhaps, our society) is better than that one.'? Certainly, I suppose, you could say that some aspects of a society are better than another one. My personal dislikes, off the top of my head, are corruption, not educating girls, apartheid.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 2:36:25 AM
Oh no! I just read falconduler's post about the racial divide in America! I regret even partially agreeing with you now.

http://www.debate.org...

Falconduler, white people in America have lived with an economic and, until recently, legislative preference for centuries. This has given them many, many advantages of which you can still see evidence today. This has nothing to do with innate superiority. Whenever a society is oppressed or forced to live without resources there are bad consequences. Those consequences can last for generations.
I don't know if your post was serious or if you are just trying to stir up trouble because you're living at your Mum's house and you're bored. I hope it's the latter.
falconduler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 5:09:55 PM
At 11/19/2012 2:36:25 AM, rross wrote:
Oh no! I just read falconduler's post about the racial divide in America! I regret even partially agreeing with you now.

http://www.debate.org...

Falconduler, white people in America have lived with an economic and, until recently, legislative preference for centuries. This has given them many, many advantages of which you can still see evidence today. This has nothing to do with innate superiority. Whenever a society is oppressed or forced to live without resources there are bad consequences. Those consequences can last for generations.
I don't know if your post was serious or if you are just trying to stir up trouble because you're living at your Mum's house and you're bored. I hope it's the latter.

Be serious. Look entire nations have been totally destroyed and the people have rebuilt their societies with little or no help.

Blacks in America are probably the most protected demographic on planet earth. have received hundreds of billions in tax payer money to help them improve their standard of living. in the last 60 years they have enjoyed benefits from all civil rights legislation ;including affirmative action PREFERENCES .
They are all over the t.v and entertainment media and hold high office .

But as a race they still live in the state of abject barbarism. just read the crime stats for starters.
I didn't cause this to happen . don't blame me for their problems ,blame yourself!
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 7:43:53 PM
This reminds me of all those men versus women arguments. Men are responsible for all the crimes. Men start all the wars. Men get all the resources and yet - look at them - still underperforming at school. Men are responsible for most car accidents. Yet there they are running companies and holding office.

But what of it? Suppose I'm right about men. Suppose you're right about race (and may I stress here that you are not). Suppose you can get a whole lot of people to agree with you. What then? What do you want to see happen?
falconduler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 5:11:17 PM
At 11/19/2012 7:43:53 PM, rross wrote:
This reminds me of all those men versus women arguments. Men are responsible for all the crimes. Men start all the wars. Men get all the resources and yet - look at them - still underperforming at school. Men are responsible for most car accidents. Yet there they are running companies and holding office.

But what of it? Suppose I'm right about men. Suppose you're right about race (and may I stress here that you are not). Suppose you can get a whole lot of people to agree with you. What then? What do you want to see happen?

I would like to see our political leadership use the same degree of logic in managing our national life as a park ranger uses managing any of the national parks under his charge.
falconduler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 2:23:53 PM
At 11/30/2012 12:09:38 PM, rross wrote:
What do you mean about park rangers? I don't understand.

i'll explain if you are serious.
falconduler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2012 4:28:20 PM
At 12/2/2012 1:34:33 AM, rross wrote:
Yes, I want you to explain it.

A park ranger usually has in his charge a national park. And as part of his duties and responsibility is to see that the flora and fauna remain healthy. He makes sure that the parasites do not overtake the healthy species . The american congress is doing everything in its powers to destroy healthy national life by promoting the less capable at the expense of the talented.
falconduler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2012 7:41:16 PM
At 12/3/2012 7:33:37 PM, rross wrote:
So which policies specifically would you like implemented or changed?
affirmative action must go to start. and eliminate all open housing policies and so on. sterilize african americans as a condition of receiving welfare and so on.. good start.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2012 7:45:34 PM
At 12/3/2012 7:41:16 PM, falconduler wrote:
affirmative action must go to start. and eliminate all open housing policies and so on. sterilize african americans as a condition of receiving welfare and so on.. good start.

+1

Thiss guy, aand people like him, arre genius! Ccaan you elaborate pleasse? How do we sterilize themm? What about other races(except for whites of course, though like they receive AA, Pfft)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2012 7:53:50 PM

What about sterilizing people who use deplorable grammar online?
kfc
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2012 7:55:01 PM
At 12/3/2012 7:53:50 PM, Koopin wrote:

What about sterilizing people who use deplorable grammar online?

Nah, lets just put them in a pit full of English professors
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 8:01:53 AM
The idea of the government forcibly sterilizing citizens is horrific. Also unfair. I suppose you mean it as an attempt to limit reproduction? In which case it would have to be the women who are sterilized. I've noticed that on other forum threads and other sites your main complaint is against the crime rate. Women commit a tiny proportion of the crimes that men do so why are we the ones you want to punish?
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 10:33:11 AM

I believe all societies based on faith, ethnicity, or ethics yearns for all of the peoples thoughts and actions as tolerable and accepted by others.
Everthing in between is politics and controlled by governments.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 5:19:21 AM

Basically we are all the same . but why the difference.

More of the penis envy thing falcon? People are just different, it's not the black man's fault you have a small one, get over it.

That is if you can see a difference.

Tou can't even see it, man, that is small.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater