Jump to topic:

Globalization: Good or Bad?

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 6:32:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Do you think it's a good thing, or bad? I ask because of the last video in John Green's fabulous World History Youtube series, which you should watch here------>

My own opinion? I tend to favor the idea that globablization, and the resulting individualism, is quite positive.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 6:37:02 PM
At 11/15/2012 6:32:19 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Do you think it's a good thing, or bad? I ask because of the last video in John Green's fabulous World History Youtube series, which you should watch here------>

My own opinion? I tend to favor the idea that globablization, and the resulting individualism, is quite positive.

Well, if by globalization one is referring to neocolonialism in new wineskins, i.e., the globalization, powered by modern technology, of capitalist greed and domination, it's bad.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 6:42:29 PM
At 11/15/2012 6:37:02 PM, charleslb wrote:

Well, if by globalization one is referring to neocolonialism in new wineskins, i.e., the globalization, powered by modern technology, of capitalist greed and domination, it's bad.

Would "global economic interdependence, and all results thereby derived" clear things up for you?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 6:51:32 PM
At 11/15/2012 6:42:29 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 11/15/2012 6:37:02 PM, charleslb wrote:
Do you think it's a good thing, or bad?

Would "global economic interdependence, and all results thereby derived" clear things up for you?

That of course is a different kettle of fish, to use an antiquated expression, but all too often globalism is euphemistic-speak for 21st-century neocolonialism.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 8:47:11 AM
I look forward to the cultural exchange of ideas via the internet, particularly with the up-and-coming language translators we are about to enjoy, but economically it is a big mistake. We need to think locally for our goods and services! There should be very little that we export.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 5:43:22 PM
Of course. The New Imperialism aspect of Globalization has civilized plenty of barbaric and medieval cultures in the Africa and Asia. The "White Man's Burden" correctly depicts the need for the superior race to tame the barbaric and black-faced cretin that populate the Earth by the millions. Neo-Imperialism most certainly had a positive effect because the takeover of other countries by force not only is good for them, but also for us.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 6:42:32 PM
That was sarcasm by the way.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 9:44:27 PM
I think it's a beautiful thing. It makes people all over the world more prosperous and gives them more opportunities to acquire more wealth and a higher standard of living and just the very nature of people from all over the world all with different backgrounds, languages, cultures, etc cooperating together peacefully is something that is easy for Free Markets to achieve.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2012 2:05:38 AM
Globalisation, as a phenomenon, is positive. The way the globalization is carried about, however, needs to be responsible.
Cometflash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2012 9:51:09 PM

It depends what it is in the package.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 7:39:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Unfortunately, globalization opens up the opportunity for us to cast externalities throughout the world. Whether is it sending your garbage many miles away, consuming resources unnaturally across the globe, or worse - sending foreign nationals to other countries to extort goods and services out of them for dirt cheap (or else get their authorization to destroy their ecosystems for our own benefit), globalization simply leads to many more problems than it solves.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 9:00:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Globalization means that markets are expanded so by the theory of comparative advantage, each producer gains a larger market for what they are best at. The primary beneficiaries are poor people, who get the goods they need at lower cost. In fact, food, energy, and medicine are more widely available at lower cost than ever before in history.

Failures of globalization occur when governments interfere with free markets. Near every country protects their domestic agricultural industry, which hurts African countries that have valuable agricultural commodities to sell.

The natural state of the world, before colonialism, industrialism, and globalization, was to live by subsistence farming and to die young by disease or starvation.