Jump to topic:

What's the Beef With Whaling?

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 2:48:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
A lot of groups and people seem to be over sensitive about whaling.

My question: How is it different than fishing? Ranching? Deer hunting?

We kill millions of cows, fish, chickens etc all for perfectly valid reasons. Why are some people extra sensitive about whales?

Whaling is part of Japanese and Norwegian culture. I don't get the beef with it.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 2:54:42 PM
No one has a problem with fishing or whaling (unless you talk to exteme environmentalist nuts).

The problem is OVERfishing and OVERwhaling. It seriously f*cks with the food chain and affects the biodiversity of different habitats, which actually decreases the long-term availability of fish and whale and all that good stuff.

Ya dig?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 2:55:57 PM
At 11/16/2012 2:54:42 PM, Zaradi wrote:
No one has a problem with fishing or whaling (unless you talk to exteme environmentalist nuts).

The problem is OVERfishing and OVERwhaling. It seriously f*cks with the food chain and affects the biodiversity of different habitats, which actually decreases the long-term availability of fish and whale and all that good stuff.

Ya dig?

Of course he doesn't. Other creatures are there for his use as he pleases. He has a volcanic edict that says so.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 2:56:45 PM
At 11/16/2012 2:55:57 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Ya dig?

Of course he doesn't. Other creatures are there for his use as he pleases. He has a volcanic edict that says so.

Your the one that thinks killing babies if their two or below is ok, so I think you should just shut up.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 2:57:48 PM
There's also the deal with the slaughtering methods, but most of it could just be solved with more humane ways of killing the animals.

For example, Japan is a notorious slaughterer of dolphins for their meat that they sell either as dolphin meat or cheap knock-offs of whale meat. And they way they slaughter the dolphins is essentially bottle them up into a small bay area and go at them with hooks and harpoons for an hour or so until they're all dead and in the boats.

I'm certainly not claiming to be a dolphin slaughtering expert, but a lot of the critics would be silenced if the method of killing was more humane.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 2:58:35 PM
At 11/16/2012 2:56:45 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Ya dig?

Your the one that thinks killing babies if their two or below is ok, so I think you should just shut up.

Ober, she was trolling.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 3:00:27 PM
At 11/16/2012 2:58:35 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Ya dig?

Ober, she was trolling.

Funnily enough, she wasn't. She honestly thinks the God of the Bible was a volcano.

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 3:01:37 PM
At 11/16/2012 3:00:27 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 11/16/2012 2:58:35 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Ya dig?

Ober, she was trolling.

Funnily enough, she wasn't. She honestly thinks the God of the Bible was a volcano.

-.- That was trolling as well.
Please don't start a flame war.
Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 3:04:25 PM
During my time in the military, we had a detachment trip to Andoya, Norway.
Whaling is legal there, so I decided to take the opportunity to try a whale steak.

....delicious.

They also had an ale with 22% alcohol.

....also delicious.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 5:06:43 PM

Ya dig?

I gave up that belief six months ago. Did imabench tell you to taunt me with that?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 5:10:23 PM
At 11/16/2012 5:06:43 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Ya dig?

I gave up that belief six months ago. Did imabench tell you to taunt me with that?

He's been taunting you with that for months now... why would imabench be involved?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2012 9:15:57 AM

Ya dig?

"Other creatures are there for his use as he pleases."

You are finally starting to understand nature!!! If I as a human was walking along the plains in Africa I would be there for the use of any animal that could overpower me. There are only two differences between humans and animals., but it is these two differences that make humans superior to all animals. We can reason complex thoughts and control our reproductive behavior, admittedly the second one doesn't apply so much in many humans. But they could if they wanted to, they choose to be irresponsible if producing offspring they knowingly can't support or take care of. Animals can't choose to not reproduce.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2012 9:51:03 AM
At 11/16/2012 2:48:05 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

We kill millions of cows, fish, chickens etc all for perfectly valid reasons. Why are some people extra sensitive about whales?

Whaling is part of Japanese and Norwegian culture. I don't get the beef with it.

The animals you mentioned that are slaughtered/hunted are not sentient creatures. Killing a whale or dolphin is a moral abomination since they are sentient creatures
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2012 9:56:26 AM
At 11/18/2012 9:51:03 AM, thett3 wrote:

The animals you mentioned that are slaughtered/hunted are not sentient creatures. Killing a whale or dolphin is a moral abomination since they are sentient creatures

They also arent on the endangered species list and dont have environments that are difficult to replicate. A chicken can survive fine in a litte shed, go ask Seaworld if whales and dolphins are that easy
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2012 2:10:42 PM

I'd doubt that Chickens aren't sentient.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2012 2:17:13 PM

Is that supposed to be an argument?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2012 5:45:17 PM
Any whaling is over-whaling until they are fully rebounded, and I don't see that happening, ever. Our effects on the marine environment are just ridiculous. Sending out sonar into the Pacific and screwing with dolphins, dumping waste-products, global-warming, invasive species transport on ship's hulls... The Tragedy of the Commons is evident all too clearly in fishing. We don't have the resources to study what is happening as we fish areas to death one-by-one so I guess we'll just wait and find out.

With that said, whaling is especially brutal and gory. I understand we are hunters, but there is nothing natural about the instruments we use to take a whale. The only reason they can get away with it is that they are isolated from other human observers at sea... although I guess that you could also say that the only reason there are any whales in existence is because they are isolated at sea.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2012 9:24:59 PM
Also Norway and Japane kills more whales than they eat.

You don't hear complains about Faroe or Greenlandic whaling.

And if you have eaten tasty whale. . . Then you haven't eaten real whale. All that blubber is horrible. Rice and whale meat with blubber sauce. Blubber jam. . . The horror.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2012 9:54:03 PM
At 11/18/2012 2:10:42 PM, phantom wrote:

And pigs.

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2012 10:43:55 PM
At 11/18/2012 9:24:59 PM, OllerupMand wrote:

And if you have eaten tasty whale. . . Then you haven't eaten real whale. All that blubber is horrible. Rice and whale meat with blubber sauce. Blubber jam. . . The horror.

I don't know what you just said but the world had miraculously come together to ban whaling before the U.S. started trying to strike sweetheart deals with other countries to allow them exemptions if they did what we wanted.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 12:21:42 AM
At 11/18/2012 9:54:03 PM, OberHerr wrote:

And pigs.

Depends how you define sentient. Perhaps I misspoke, but the intelligence of whales and dolphins are on a much greater scope than those you mentioned. For example, theres a lotof evidence that whales are not only self aware but have developed cultures http://www.abc.net.au...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 12:39:45 AM
At 11/19/2012 12:21:42 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 11/18/2012 9:54:03 PM, OberHerr wrote:

And pigs.

Depends how you define sentient. Perhaps I misspoke, but the intelligence of whales and dolphins are on a much greater scope than those you mentioned. For example, theres a lotof evidence that whales are not only self aware but have developed cultures http://www.abc.net.au...

I take consciousness as a key property of sentience. I find it likely that chickens are conscious.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 3:48:00 AM
At 11/18/2012 10:43:55 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

I don't know what you just said but the world had miraculously come together to ban whaling before the U.S. started trying to strike sweetheart deals with other countries to allow them exemptions if they did what we wanted.

Many countries hunt and kill a small amount of whales. You don't hear about it because it is few and they follow the international CITES rules. As an example you have people whaling in Alaska, Greenland and the Farao Island. People in those countries hunt very few whales compared to Norway and Japan.

In Norway they also hunt whales. Sadly they don't eat as much whale as they hunt. So they sell the whale meat that they don't eat. Most of it is sold to Japan. That is normally against the international CITES rules, but Norway holds an objection to part of the whaling agrements. So it is legal for them. Other countries don't like that. That is why you often hear about Norweigen whaling.

Japan also hunt whales. They also import whales. But they are eating less and less whale. That means the price for whale is falling, that lot of whale meat don't get eaten, you get illegal whale hunting etc. And Japane still hunts very many whales. People don't like that. So we hear alot about Japanes whale hunting.

A large part of the whale is blubber. Blubber is often seen as the best part of a whale together with the tail by enuits. A whale steak taste good depending on whale and cut, but most whale recipies depends on the blubber and they don't taste very well. Examples on such recipies are: Whale skin cooked in own oil, blubber jam and rice with whale and blubber sauce tast extremly bad.
Volkskorps
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 1:25:53 PM
Whaling = fine = but not what is happening
Over-whaling = not fine = what is happening

Whaling = whaling in the future
Over-whaling = no whaling in the future

Simple.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 3:43:45 AM
At 11/19/2012 3:48:00 AM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 11/18/2012 10:43:55 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Many countries hunt and kill a small amount of whales. You don't hear about it because it is few and they follow the international CITES rules. As an example you have people whaling in Alaska, Greenland and the Farao Island. People in those countries hunt very few whales compared to Norway and Japan.

In Norway they also hunt whales. Sadly they don't eat as much whale as they hunt. So they sell the whale meat that they don't eat. Most of it is sold to Japan. That is normally against the international CITES rules, but Norway holds an objection to part of the whaling agrements. So it is legal for them. Other countries don't like that. That is why you often hear about Norweigen whaling.

Japan also hunt whales. They also import whales. But they are eating less and less whale. That means the price for whale is falling, that lot of whale meat don't get eaten, you get illegal whale hunting etc. And Japane still hunts very many whales. People don't like that. So we hear alot about Japanes whale hunting.

A large part of the whale is blubber. Blubber is often seen as the best part of a whale together with the tail by enuits. A whale steak taste good depending on whale and cut, but most whale recipies depends on the blubber and they don't taste very well. Examples on such recipies are: Whale skin cooked in own oil, blubber jam and rice with whale and blubber sauce tast extremly bad.

Norway, if I'm not mistaken, is the country which the US "allowed" to take more whales, thus infuriating Japan who now has an excuse to turn their nose up at environmental protection.
Beliefs in a nutshell: