Jump to topic:

INDIA: Where love and tolerance abound.

falconduler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 5:57:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Poverty is deepest among members of scheduled castes and tribes in the country's rural areas. In 2005 these groups accounted for 80 per cent of poor rural people, although their share in the total rural population is much smaller.

On the map of poverty in India, the poorest areas are in parts of Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, Orissa, Chhattisgarh and West Bengal.

Large numbers of India's poorest people live in the country's semi-arid tropical region. In this area shortages of water and recurrent droughts impede the transformation of agriculture that the Green Revolution has achieved elsewhere. There is also a high incidence of poverty in flood-prone areas such as those extending from eastern Uttar Pradesh to the Assam plains, and especially in northern Bihar.
Poverty affects tribal people in forest areas, where loss of entitlement to resources has made them even poorer. In coastal fishing communities people's living conditions are deteriorating because of environmental degradation, stock depletion and vulnerability to natural disasters.

A major cause of poverty among India"s rural people, both individuals and communities, is lack of access to productive assets and financial resources. High levels of illiteracy, inadequate health care and extremely limited access to social services are common among poor rural people. Microenterprise development, which could generate income and enable poor people to improve their living conditions, has only recently become a focus of the government.

Women in general are the most disadvantaged people in Indian society, though their status varies significantly according to their social and ethnic backgrounds. Women are particularly vulnerable to the spread of HIV/AIDS from urban to rural areas. In 2005 an estimated 5.7 million men, women and children in India were living with HIV/AIDS. Most of them are in the 15-49 age group and almost 40 per cent of them, or 2.4 million in 2008, are women (National AIDS Control Organisation).
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 6:43:20 PM
LOL, go ahead and target this at me. I have no connection to India. I don't consider myself Indian and I despise India. It's the only true Aryan culture on the planet.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 6:54:11 PM
Literally every single thing that was discussed in this article is a product of the caste system, which was implemented by the Aryans when they invaded. I know that you support Aryanism, so now you are making your own culture look bad. LOLOL
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 8:48:34 AM
At 11/19/2012 6:43:20 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
LOL, go ahead and target this at me. I have no connection to India. I don't consider myself Indian and I despise India. It's the only true Aryan culture on the planet.

Their food is awesome and their women are beautiful, though.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 8:55:58 AM
At 11/20/2012 8:48:34 AM, Ren wrote:

It's too bad many of them would never date a black guy because their families consider them like untouchables :/
yang.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 9:18:51 AM
At 11/20/2012 8:55:58 AM, tulle wrote:

It's too bad many of them would never date a black guy because their families consider them like untouchables :/

Lol, gotta be honest, I never met one like that.

Here's a fun bit of trivia: my first girlfriend was an Indian girl.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 9:22:14 AM
@ Falconduler

I don't know what is your problem with India. I do know that we are facing many problems in India including:

1. High Poverty
2. Caste discrimination
3. Lack of education
4. Vulnerability to natural disasters
5. Corruption
6. Lack of good medical care.

However on each of the counts, we are making huge improvement with time. In all cases situation is much better now than it was few decades ago. And we are determined to solve to all our problems on our own, one by one. In the meantime, feel free to moan about India.

And yeah, people here are quite tolerant and love each other (though there are exceptions).
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 9:26:55 AM

Really? Sounds surprising. IMO many Indians would love to have 'phoren' girlfriend / boyfriend. It is possible more conservative ones may refuse to date anyone at all, preferring arranged marriage.

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 9:27:17 AM
At 11/20/2012 9:18:51 AM, Ren wrote:

Maybe my sisters and I just have really racist friends lol.
yang.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 9:31:00 AM
At 11/20/2012 9:26:55 AM, baggins wrote:

Really? Sounds surprising. IMO many Indians would love to have 'phoren' girlfriend / boyfriend. It is possible more conservative ones may refuse to date anyone at all, preferring arranged marriage.

In my experience Indian girls love white guys, and especially Indian guys who look white. I know one Indian girl dating a mixed (black and white) guy but last time I talked to her she said she knew she would never marry him because of her family. It's been years though so I don't know what happened with that. It's possible I have a lot of racist friends who don't represent the general culture.
yang.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 9:32:21 AM
At 11/19/2012 6:54:11 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Literally every single thing that was discussed in this article is a product of the caste system, which was implemented by the Aryans when they invaded. I know that you support Aryanism, so now you are making your own culture look bad. LOLOL

How is AIDS a product of 'Aryanism'?

baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 9:34:34 AM
At 11/20/2012 9:31:00 AM, tulle wrote:

In my experience Indian girls love white guys, and especially Indian guys who look white. I know one Indian girl dating a mixed (black and white) guy but last time I talked to her she said she knew she would never marry him because of her family. It's been years though so I don't know what happened with that. It's possible I have a lot of racist friends who don't represent the general culture.

It is possible. Many Indians (not all) who migrate to Canada belong to higher castes and are often racist.

baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 9:37:05 AM
@ Tulle

On other hand, I have seen the obsession with white skin even in India. There is a huge 'whiteness cream' industry in India...

tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 9:44:02 AM
Yes, that makes sense. I also live in a rich neighbourhood so a lot of the ones I know have tons of money. I'm well aware of how much they hate dark skin :/ Strange thing is they don't recognize their own racism.
yang.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 9:44:16 AM

No, I completely believe that. I wasn't really talking about marriage, although obviously, there comes a point where a woman has marriage in mind from the time she is dating a man. I mean, there is that dichotomy of people -- those who get into relationships to find someone with whom they can make it permanent, and those who enjoy each step of a relationship for its own sake. I guess the latter would be described by most adult women as "not about anything."

However, it's funny, but those men who aren't about anything would have the best luck with girls like that, and this is why she was in a relationship with the man, and even slept with the man, but wouldn't even consider marrying him. Because, there are women, too, who enjoy each step of a relationship for its own sake, and gets in relationships with no intention of letting them get past a certain point. I mean, no matter what your friend's personal feelings are about people of other 'ethnicities,' I'm sure she considers it much easier to pursue her ideal and marry someone that her family would accept, so they can remain her support system as she starts her life and a family of her own. However!

I still contend that when a woman really falls in love, she will likely ignore what her family's opinions are. If she fell in love with that guy, black and white, spanish and asian, whatever he may be, she will marry him despite what her family thinks. People don't marry people they love very often these days though, it appears.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 9:49:06 AM
@Ren I totally agree. An Indian girl I know married a white guy against her family's wishes. The people who matter eventually accepted him and came to the wedding. Some people in her family to this day won't even acknowledge him. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to marry someone and have your family disown you though, especially in that culture where family is everything (much like my own culture). My boyfriend's family is Pakistani and not like that at all, I wonder if it's just his family or Pakistani people are more accepting.

I've actually had Indian people say to me "no BMWs" (blacks, whites, or muslims). It's crazy.
yang.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 9:55:20 AM
At 11/20/2012 9:49:06 AM, tulle wrote:
@Ren I totally agree. An Indian girl I know married a white guy against her family's wishes. The people who matter eventually accepted him and came to the wedding. Some people in her family to this day won't even acknowledge him. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to marry someone and have your family disown you though, especially in that culture where family is everything (much like my own culture). My boyfriend's family is Pakistani and not like that at all, I wonder if it's just his family or Pakistani people are more accepting.

I've actually had Indian people say to me "no BMWs" (blacks, whites, or muslims). It's crazy.

Yeah, people are just silly. I've met all kinds like that. I've met spanish girls that can't stand this, that, or the other. I've dated and Asian girl who detested Chinese people. She personally wasn't Chinese, but it's still just silliness, lol.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:02:49 AM
At 11/20/2012 9:18:51 AM, Ren wrote:

Tulle isn't lying. My parents are very racist against black people. They told me to stay away from them when they dropped me off on campus last year.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:03:55 AM

In my experience Indian girls love white guys,

So true, but it's probably likely because we were raised in predominately-white cultures.
and especially Indian guys who look white.

I know one Indian girl dating a mixed (black and white) guy but last time I talked to her she said she knew she would never marry him because of her family. It's been years though so I don't know what happened with that. It's possible I have a lot of racist friends who don't represent the general culture.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:05:40 AM
At 11/20/2012 9:32:21 AM, baggins wrote:
At 11/19/2012 6:54:11 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

How is AIDS a product of 'Aryanism'?

Here's what he said:

Women are particularly vulnerable to the spread of HIV/AIDS from urban to rural areas. In 2005 an estimated 5.7 million men, women and children in India were living with HIV/AIDS. Most of them are in the 15-49 age group and almost 40 per cent of them, or 2.4 million in 2008, are women (National AIDS Control Organisation).

It's not that AIDS is a product of Aryanism. It's that women are vulnerable to it because the Aryan system promotes misogyny and sexual violence. India is one of the most dangerous countries for females to live in.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:06:00 AM
At 11/20/2012 9:37:05 AM, baggins wrote:
@ Tulle

On other hand, I have seen the obsession with white skin even in India. There is a huge 'whiteness cream' industry in India...

This.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:07:10 AM

Someone actually told you that parents say that? O.o
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:13:25 AM
I don't think it's racist to prefer partners of a specific race any more than preferring partners of a particular sex is sexist. It's usually ingrained into people biologically and/or culturally, and it doesn't mean that I'm biased against people who are outside of the race I prefer.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:13:25 AM
It looks like Indians are pretty racist at global level... It is strange since we have often been victims of racism ourselves.

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:14:40 AM
At 11/20/2012 10:13:25 AM, baggins wrote:
It looks like Indians are pretty racist at global level... It is strange since we have often been victims of racism ourselves.

Well, I'm not racist, but my parents are immigrants, so maybe they're just carrying over biases from the "motherland".
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:17:50 AM
At 11/20/2012 10:07:10 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

My friends say that lol not just because their parents believe it but they agree with it. That's not even the worst of it -___-
yang.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:19:51 AM
At 11/20/2012 10:13:25 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I don't think it's racist to prefer partners of a specific race any more than preferring partners of a particular sex is sexist. It's usually ingrained into people biologically and/or culturally, and it doesn't mean that I'm biased against people who are outside of the race I prefer.

I agree, there's nothing wrong with preferring a certain race. Where it becomes racism is believing a certain race to be superior or inferior. Preferring to not date a specific race because you think you are better than them.
yang.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:21:02 AM
At 11/20/2012 10:13:25 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

It is quite obvious that most Indians will ultimately prefer Indians from same social/economic/religious background because of shared culture and values. However completely rejecting someone based on ethnic identity alone is racism, IMO.

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:21:10 AM
At 11/20/2012 10:17:50 AM, tulle wrote:
At 11/20/2012 10:07:10 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

My friends say that lol not just because their parents believe it but they agree with it. That's not even the worst of it -___-

That's sad :( I can't believe people who were raised in Canada actually believe that . . . .

Indian parents have tons of acronyms to make us remember things, lol. Whenever my mom thinks I'm acting too "white", she calls me an ABCD (American Born Confused Desi).
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:21:50 AM
At 11/20/2012 10:13:25 AM, baggins wrote:

It's funny, when I was in high school anti-racism campaigns were always directed at white people, despite Indians being the majority and despite them being the most openly racist. Despite every race being racist, really.
yang.