Total Posts:89|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Let's Do a Radical Critique of Thanksgiving

charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 6:04:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Okay, here's some straight talk about today's holiday. Thanksgiving functions to subtly seed our psyches with "nice", middle-class traditionalism and conventionalism, with vanilla and vapid Americanism and patriotism. I.e., it surreptitiously smuggles into our unsuspecting minds a feel-good belief in the American way of hypocritically wholesome life, the American way of pseudodemocratic political life, the American way of faux free-enterprising economic life, etc.

Say what?! Yes, I'm saying precisely what I'm saying, seemingly innocent and innocuous Turkey Day is one of those days on the calendar designated for us to allow a Hallmark card version, a Norman Rockwelling picture of our society to supersede and supplant our sense of social skepticism and reality, and to put us, all year long, in the naive-making habit of mind of suspending disbelief in the highly dubious goodness of our public institutions and consumerist-capitalist culture. Which is all to say that it's a day on which we've been conditioned to be receptive to a healthy dose of programming to be good, non-threatening-to-the-Establishment Stepford Americans.

Alright, I can feel your resistance to my radical critique of what seems to be a happy, harmless tradition, but try to stay with it. Well, the way it works is actually quite simple. Sure, the rising prices of food, along with the rest of the cost of living, may be making it increasingly challenging for average workingpeople to realize the "American dream", but on Thanksgiving the promise of a Turkey in every pot, for one day of the year comes true for most, and thus and so is the positive-thinking theme of the holiday, that we ought to be grateful citizens, not hateful cynics, effectively brought home to us.

Now then, the sometimes insidious thing about a "positive" outlook is that it can induce consoling rationalization, as opposed to criticism; internalization of blame, in the guise of "self-empowerment", as opposed to social awareness; and resigned passivity, as opposed to action. That is, Pealean-type positive thinking can uplift us psychologically, but at the end of the day, or at the end of the holiday, leave us socioeconomically downtrodden.

And here we come to it, it's of course precisely the insidious thing about count-my-personal-blessings and look-on-the-bright-side holidays such as Thanksgiving that they do their part, minor though it may be, to promote the sort of pacifying positivity and narrowly self-focused hopefulness that disinclines us from engaging in activism with a view to transforming the socioeconomic bigger picture that's ultimately responsible for so much human unhappiness.

Thanksgiving and our other holidays, of course, certainly don't soothe us into becoming Stepfordized specimens in a stand-alone fashion. They're merely occasions for reinstilling and reinforcing our society's narcotizing normative narrative, you know, the one that infiltrates our home and schools, our mass media and every area of our culture, the one that tells us that ours is an ever-booming economic system and a land divinely blessed with liberty, in which everyone willing to exert himself is perfectly free to catch a heaping measure of the manna that trickles down to us from the all-bountiful "free market", and only whiney bums say otherwise and find themselves on the dole.

We're all familiar with this never-never-landish narrative of capitalist society, in recent decades conservatives, its true believers and the ideological and political shills for big business, have done quite a good job indeed of popularizing it with working-class voters who certainly should know better, and of pushing it on our body politic with catastrophic results. What of course doesn't even receive honorable mention in this rosy picture of capitalist prosperity is any truth content about the massively large number of productive-but-poor individuals who can't for a moment be accused of being work-shy derelicts, who labor and struggle, quite literally, for their entire working lives without knowing much economic security, let alone a taste of affluence. Neither is mention made of the inherent tendency of the capitalist system to perennially thrust us into recessions and crises that immiserate the lot of millions. And certainly no reference is included to the darkest underbelly of capitalism, i.e., the obscene Third World destitution that is the cruel correlative of First World productivity.

Well, one can be certain that not much mind at all is paid to any of this on ole dope-yourself-up-with-tryptophan and celebrate-your-own-good-fortune Thanksgiving day, 'tis the day to gloss over all gloom and negativity in the world at large and to divert our consciences away from the fact that we all tolerate an immorally inequitable and dehumanizing system. Oh sure, we may remember and observe that others aren't as comfortably well off as we are, but only in a contrastive There but for the grace of fashion that serves to increase our own selfish contentment. No, Thanksgiving is not exactly a day to heighten our social consciousness.

Some do focus on the ever more prevalent existence of need in our rich society, choosing to spend the day serving in shelters and soup kitchens, kudos to them, but, alas, they're the exception and by no means the rule. And really, how many of us ever feel inspired by Thanksgiving to sally forth into capitalist society as activists dedicated to the abolition of its systemic, endemic socioeconomic injustice and cruelty. This isn't exactly the effect that Thanksgiving is designed to have, is it. No, it's designed to induce an attitude of complacent gratitude that hardly conduces to militant activism on the behalf of capitalism's victims. It's devolved into something that lulls us into a fall sense of being lucky to live in a posh country regardless of the actuality that we only partake of its poshness in a measly way, and to thus feel no compulsion whatsoever to take up arms against and to oppose a sea of economic troubles.

Mm-hmm, the bunk of the holidays helps beguile, BS, and bamboozle us into being good little boy peons and girl peons who are appreciative of whatever crumbs we receive from our capitalist masters' tables, who play the game of life under capitalism like good sports, even when it really hurts. Yep, we are genuinely conned, culturally conned, by Thanksgiving and by a good bit else, to be satisfied with our servility and with a minusculely small share of the wealth our labor creates, and to think that this really is just a matter of practicing right-minded thankfulness. The righteous resentment of our unfair socioeconomic condition, which could fuel a revolution to create a better system, is stigmatized as petty "envy" of "successful" people and is kept in check by the very spirit of groveling-to-God-gratitude that Thanksgiving especially fosters.

So, summing up, I do regret that I have to inform you that Thanksgiving, and several of our other holidays, are, it turns out, effective delivery methods for the opiate of capitalism's lying gospel of prosperity for all; the antidepressant of unfounded optimistic thankfulness; and for the cultural lobotomy that renders us able to take it in the hiney with a good attitude because hey, we're in America and have nothing big to complain about, and heaven forbid we ever come across as resentful of our betters. Well, Thanksgiving is at least a wee bit complicit in inculcating such status quo-perpetuating acceptance of one's socioeconomically disenfranchised station in life. Mm-hmm, the bitter pill of capitalist reality is a good bit more palatable and readily swallowed with the propaganda of pumpkin pie and a mess of patriotic pabulum.

Oh well, and at any rate, I wish everyone here a happy holiday. Now, go off and, in the words of the band Freak Kitchen, "Try! The propaganda pie", and turkey of course, "Have a slice of lie".
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 6:39:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 6:30:53 PM, badger wrote:
wtf her profile says she's engaged... well i'm kinda disappointed...

lol. She hasn't been on debate.org for awhile. Her facebook doesn't say she's in a relationship but there was some information about her using contraception on her facebook so who knows.

Also, she's now 18 :p
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 9:11:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yawn
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 1:15:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 9:11:27 PM, sadolite wrote:
Yawn

Well, you know, a bored mind is quite often a boring mind.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 1:17:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2012 6:22:05 PM, Koopin wrote:
Kentucky Fried Turkey.

I don't suppose that you'd care to make a somewhat less elliptical and more substantive contribution to the thread?
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 1:17:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/23/2012 1:15:28 AM, charleslb wrote:
At 11/22/2012 9:11:27 PM, sadolite wrote:
Yawn

Well, you know, a bored mind is quite often a boring mind.

So your a boring mind? Cause, thats the only conclusion I get from seeing these walls of text you produce.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 1:19:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/23/2012 1:17:55 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 11/23/2012 1:15:28 AM, charleslb wrote:
At 11/22/2012 9:11:27 PM, sadolite wrote:
Yawn

Well, you know, a bored mind is quite often a boring mind.

So your a boring mind? Cause, thats the only conclusion I get from seeing these walls of text you produce.

Any on-topic comments?
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 1:26:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Some do focus on the ever more prevalent existence of need in our rich society, choosing to spend the day serving in shelters and soup kitchens, kudos to them, but, alas, they're the exception and by no means the rule. And really, how many of us ever feel inspired by Thanksgiving to sally forth into capitalist society as activists dedicated to the abolition of its systemic, endemic socioeconomic injustice and cruelty.

Here is why you are wrong (in a lot fewer words). Americans give more to charities (both in monetary gifts and in their time and labor) during the holidays as opposed to the rest of the year.

http://aytm.com...
http://www.businesswire.com...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 1:43:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Btw, you-all might have noted that I don't explore somewhat stock anti-Thanksgiving themes such the historical shafting of indigenous peoples by the Pilgrims who founded today's tradition, nor do I touch on the way that that bit of quite germane history gets somewhat unconscionably glossed over; and, what's more, neither do I devote any effort to condemning the cruelty of raising millions of turkeys to be slaughtered for a holiday repast. Well, for the record, I didn't omit mention of these marks against Thanksgiving because I don't view them as significant and worthy of discussion, or because I find them to be cliched, no, they simply don't fit into my critique.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 1:53:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/23/2012 1:26:07 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Some do focus on the ever more prevalent existence of need in our rich society, choosing to spend the day serving in shelters and soup kitchens, kudos to them, but, alas, they're the exception and by no means the rule. And really, how many of us ever feel inspired by Thanksgiving to sally forth into capitalist society as activists dedicated to the abolition of its systemic, endemic socioeconomic injustice and cruelty.

Here is why you are wrong (in a lot fewer words). Americans give more to charities (both in monetary gifts and in their time and labor) during the holidays as opposed to the rest of the year.

That people still have enough awareness of hunger and whatnot to feel the need to salve their consciences with a bit of benovolent giving does't exactly refute my thesis, i.e., it doesn't exactly go to show that holidays such as Thanksgiving don't play a part in lulling us into a Norman Rockwellian state of mind, into naive acceptance, and into an erroneous positive view of our society's basic socioeconomic reality. (Btw, thanks for some substantive feedback, perhaps certain other respondents will now deign to make a slightly more constructive contribution to the thread.)
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 2:00:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/23/2012 1:53:52 AM, charleslb wrote:
At 11/23/2012 1:26:07 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Some do focus on the ever more prevalent existence of need in our rich society, choosing to spend the day serving in shelters and soup kitchens, kudos to them, but, alas, they're the exception and by no means the rule. And really, how many of us ever feel inspired by Thanksgiving to sally forth into capitalist society as activists dedicated to the abolition of its systemic, endemic socioeconomic injustice and cruelty.

Here is why you are wrong (in a lot fewer words). Americans give more to charities (both in monetary gifts and in their time and labor) during the holidays as opposed to the rest of the year.

That people still have enough awareness of hunger and whatnot to feel the need to salve their consciences with a bit of benovolent giving does't exactly refute my thesis, i.e., it doesn't exactly go to show that holidays such as Thanksgiving don't play a part in lulling us into a Norman Rockwellian state of mind, into naive acceptance, and into an erroneous positive view of our society's basic socioeconomic reality. (Btw, thanks for some substantive feedback, perhaps certain other respondents will now deign to make a slightly more constructive contribution to the thread.)

You say it lulls us into forgetting about the socioeconomic reality, but the reality is that we give more during the holidays and are most aware of the stugglings of others because of them. It is off-holiday times that we are the least aware and the least giving.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 7:32:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Charles, what else is there to say. Yet another American tradition to bring people together and find common ground under attack so that we may all have nothing in common and send this nation into a black hole of hate for one another. A nation that does not respect it's own traditions and heritage is a nation doomed to Fail and crumble apart from within. My opinion of course. I have your opinion already, no need to respond.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:02:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/23/2012 1:23:56 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
As a Englishman, I always wondered what Thanksgiving was all about and now I know: I'm glad we don't have it here.

This is an interpretation of Thanks Giving from someone who hates his own country'

I could easily misinterpreted every single tradition of your country in a negative light. I could make you all look like Nazi's. What charlesb won't and never do is state his end game, point blank. He needs to try and convince us that America sucks with 8000 word essay's. If America and it's contributions to history really did suck as much as he thinks it does it could be said in less than 100 words require no debate or discussion.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:08:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/23/2012 3:02:44 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 11/23/2012 1:23:56 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
As a Englishman, I always wondered what Thanksgiving was all about and now I know: I'm glad we don't have it here.

This is an interpretation of Thanks Giving from someone who hates his own country'

I could easily misinterpreted every single tradition of your country in a negative light. I could make you all look like Nazi's. What charlesb won't and never do is state his end game, point blank. He needs to try and convince us that America sucks with 8000 word essay's. If America and it's contributions to history really did suck as much as he thinks it does it could be said in less than 100 words require no debate or discussion.

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Albert Einstein
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:17:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/23/2012 3:02:44 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 11/23/2012 1:23:56 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
As a Englishman, I always wondered what Thanksgiving was all about and now I know: I'm glad we don't have it here.

This is an interpretation of Thanks Giving from someone who hates his own country'

I could easily misinterpreted every single tradition of your country in a negative light. I could make you all look like Nazi's. What charlesb won't and never do is state his end game, point blank. He needs to try and convince us that America sucks with 8000 word essay's. If America and it's contributions to history really did suck as much as he thinks it does it could be said in less than 100 words require no debate or discussion.:

^This^
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:18:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/23/2012 3:08:54 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 11/23/2012 3:02:44 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 11/23/2012 1:23:56 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
As a Englishman, I always wondered what Thanksgiving was all about and now I know: I'm glad we don't have it here.

This is an interpretation of Thanks Giving from someone who hates his own country'

I could easily misinterpreted every single tradition of your country in a negative light. I could make you all look like Nazi's. What charlesb won't and never do is state his end game, point blank. He needs to try and convince us that America sucks with 8000 word essay's. If America and it's contributions to history really did suck as much as he thinks it does it could be said in less than 100 words require no debate or discussion.

It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:20:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Tell us chareles, what do you really think of America and what would you like to see happen to it. You can do this in less than 100 words. For example someone might say (Not You).......... I hate America and I hope all who like it get slaughtered like the pigs that they are. Again I am not speaking for you. Just a short simple description so I can see where you are coming from.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 6:05:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The thing is, Charles, the Holidays are usually the part of the year in which people actually feel a sense of community and give back. I understand your point that this only serves to reinforce capitalism, but surely you would rather have people helped some of the time rather than not at all? It seems to me that your criticism is in line with Zizek's claims regarding the welfare state and capitalism . . .
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 6:37:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/23/2012 3:20:54 PM, sadolite wrote:
Tell us chareles, what do you really think of America and what would you like to see happen to it. You can do this in less than 100 words. For example someone might say (Not You).......... I hate America and I hope all who like it get slaughtered like the pigs that they are. Again I am not speaking for you. Just a short simple description so I can see where you are coming from.

Hmm, you rather like to get personal and call me "condescending" and insulting and whatnot. But you fail to realize that, although it's a cliche, it truly does take two to tango. Here, for instance, you, despite your disclaimer, polemically travesty my viewpoint and then if I were to make an obvious observation about the biased and simpliste mentality that could come up with such a bit of unkind reductionism, well, you would conveniently forget having given offense and make me out to be the one who is "... insulting and rude", and whose "goal" is to "not engage in dialog to common ground". Mm-hmm, if you review our exchanges I'm quite sure that you'll find that you've invariably been the one to issue the first insult or bit of provocation, out of frustration with me for not conceding the cogency of your arguments (as if I'm somehow obliged to do so), and that my "rudeness" has merely been a response to your own negativity. Yes, I've hardly experienced you to be a regular Mr. Congeniality, perhaps if you were a bit more congenial our exchanges would be less contentious and more constructive? Well, let's see if you can perhaps be honest and big enough to admit such a fantastic possibility, or if you will infallibly insist on assigning all blame to moi.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 6:50:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I hate america and I hope all who do get slaughtered like the pigs they are. And I will laugh. Because you can't spell slaughter without laughter.

amidoinitright?
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 7:05:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/23/2012 6:05:25 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
The thing is, Charles, the Holidays are usually the part of the year in which people actually feel a sense of community and give back. I understand your point that this only serves to reinforce capitalism, but surely you would rather have people helped some of the time rather than not at all? It seems to me that your criticism is in line with Zizek's claims regarding the welfare state and capitalism . . .

Well, I didn't actually damn Thanksgiving as being utterly devoid of any and all redeeming value whatsoever; rather, my critique has to do with the bourgeois vapidity, the patriotic dishonesty, and the opiate-of-the-people effect of the conventionalism and the cultural narrative that our minds are imprinted with by certain holidays. Mm-hmm, I certainly acknowledge that the holidays do indeed also inspire some quite warm and fuzzy feelings, "niceness", and an uptick in charitable giving. But this quite simply doesn't diminish the insidiousness, if that's not too strong a word, of the way they also contribute to Stepfordizing us and thereby help to perpetuate an uncompassionate and unjust status quo, i.e., a socioeconomic status quo that systematically generates an amount of suffering that doesn't even approach being offset by the spirit of good cheer and kindness also elicited by the holidays. At any rate, thank you for disagreeing in a constructive fashion, certain others (they absolutely know who they are) could stand to learn from your example.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 7:18:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/23/2012 7:51:56 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
LOL, nice hyperbole, Charles.

Well then, perhaps next I'll indite a post indicting Christmas, American style, i.e., critically exploring the way the virulent capitalist-materialist ethos, presenting in its aspect of commercialism and consumerism, has infected the wholesomeness of the ole Yuletide season and spirit, rewriting the cultural DNA, as it were, of the holiday so as to transform it into something iconically middle-class American rather than traditionally joy-to-the-world Christian, i.e., something bourgeois and crass rather than family valuely or spiritual. Well, what say you, folks, would you care to have me produce a provocative polemic, from a radical perspective, on our debased American version of Xmas? I appreciate that most of you have certainly been very receptive to my subversive thoughts on Thanksgiving. And so yes, then, I'd certainly be willing to next write a dissective piece on that commercialized changeling that our society has substituted for an authentic Christmas. Yes, something, perhaps, for you to look forward to.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.