Jump to topic:

The Value of the Artists

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 9:16:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is inspired by that question on the Political Compass quiz, about the scientist and businessman being more valuable/important than the artist and writer.

So, I'd like to open this up to everyone.

What value, if any, do you see in artists for society? I am defining artists as those of the professions of music, visual art, creative writing, theatre, dance, etc.

Personally, AS an artist under this definition, I disagreed with that statement, and feel that artists are of a VERY high value to society.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 9:28:16 PM
In addition to entertainment, they can be used for education. Political ideas are carried across well through different mediums.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 9:28:27 PM
At 11/23/2012 9:27:24 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Entertainment.

Is that the sole value?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 9:47:52 PM
I am a musician... One thing is for sure, and that is that people WANT art. If a bar hires a band, people are going to stay there as opposed to another bar just playing recordings. Art is a way to express yourself, and people have an intrinsic need to experience that expression. Artists are the "life" of society.

The fact that business and technology are so far valued above art today is probably a cause of some of our inefficiencies. Our current economic practices don't make it easy for artists to sustain themselves, unless they find some unusual niche or are able to tailor their abilities for businesses (e.g., making McDonalds commercials). Ironically, not only is the artist forced to inhibit his or her methods by this process, but the audience is also deprived of utility. I've never been asked to play McDonald's theme song at a gig and I doubt I ever would unless Koopin somehow showed up some day. Yet the work goes into making such things and we are subjected to it unwillingly.

Sorry I have to return to capitalism-bashing on just about every subject, but when I look at cities full of barren, gray, straight surfaces, and then look around at all the starving artists who can't find work other than some minor side-jobs while they work at kfc or process insurance for people, I can't be convinced by anyone that there isn't something seeeriously wrong here.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 11:26:20 PM
"Without music life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche

I'd find it hard to live without music. Listening to music are the times when I'm closest to happiness. I thus value artists highly.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)