Jump to topic:

Halloween vs. Christmas

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2009 5:27:33 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
It happens every year. It's not even Halloween yet, but Xmas related things are already on display. I don't mind - I like Christmas! I don't care that Jesus is a myth (so theists, please leave the Keep Christ in Christmas pleas to the Religion forums, would ya?), but I still think it's a fun and jolly time of the year. Haha. Vi just informed me that she hates Christmas... maybe it's because she's never celebrated it. Hmm. I'll change that! Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because I've already seen 3 Christmas movies on TV yesterday! Fred Clause, The Grinch, and Miracle on 34th Street! However, I think the most appropriate film for this time of year is one of my absolute favorites - The Nightmare Before Christmas - which I make sure to watch all the time around both Halloween AND Christmas ever year. I'm watching it now, at 7:25 am on a Tuesday morning :) So peoples: Halloween vs. Xmas - You decide!
President of DDO
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2009 10:49:02 AM
Halloween only lasts one day. Christmas lasts for several weeks...However, that one day of Halloween is probably more fun than any one given day of Christmas.

If only there were a way to extend the Halloween celebration by a few more days.

Until that day comes though, I say Christmas. I just like the Christmas vibe ^^
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2009 11:25:01 AM
Hallowe'en: You get an excuse to dress up as something ridicolouos, get free food and egg houses. It's brilliant.

Christnas: You get the Best Dinner. Ever. Have to wear awkward clothes (Up to the age of 18)but get presents.

Christmas is just generally more exciting due to the mythology around it. Hallowe'en is just free food day
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2009 11:38:37 AM
At 10/13/2009 5:27:33 AM, theLwerd wrote:
It happens every year. It's not even Halloween yet, but Xmas related things are already on display. I don't mind - I like Christmas! I don't care that Jesus is a myth (so theists, please leave the Keep Christ in Christmas pleas to the Religion forums, would ya?), but I still think it's a fun and jolly time of the year. Haha. Vi just informed me that she hates Christmas... maybe it's because she's never celebrated it. Hmm. I'll change that! Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because I've already seen 3 Christmas movies on TV yesterday! Fred Clause, The Grinch, and Miracle on 34th Street! However, I think the most appropriate film for this time of year is one of my absolute favorites - The Nightmare Before Christmas - which I make sure to watch all the time around both Halloween AND Christmas ever year. I'm watching it now, at 7:25 am on a Tuesday morning :) So peoples: Halloween vs. Xmas - You decide!

they are both great...

i like christmas more b/c i have kids... but my little girl loves hollows eve...
she likes christmas b/c she gets new things...

this year she will get a computer and a i pod touch
my son will get an ipod touch as well
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2009 11:56:27 AM
At 10/13/2009 11:38:37 AM, comoncents wrote:

Your kids are spoiled rotten XD
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2009 12:07:53 PM
At 10/13/2009 11:56:27 AM, Kleptin wrote:

well i love them...
my little girl is turning 4 and my son is 2

i love them to death
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2009 12:12:11 PM
At 10/13/2009 12:07:53 PM, comoncents wrote:

well i love them...

i love them to death

What the f*ck do they need computers and iTouch's for if they're only 2 and 4? I call bullsh1t.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2009 12:17:22 PM
At 10/13/2009 12:12:11 PM, Nags wrote:

well i love them...

i love them to death

What the f*ck do they need computers and iTouch's for if they're only 2 and 4? I call bullsh1t.

my little girl loves the computer... learns a lot from it...
and she loves my iphone... she learns from that as well... she loves the apps...

my son shows signs of mild autism and can navigate through the iphone better then you can... he loves it... it is one of the only things that he truly loves to do.

and my little girl loves it as well... so i can not leave her out of the ipod touch thing...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2009 12:20:24 PM
comoncents, you're a sucker.

Those kids are spoiled rotten!

They'd have just as much fun with bubble wrap lol.
President of DDO
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2009 12:24:27 PM
At 10/13/2009 12:20:24 PM, theLwerd wrote:

you are 100% right... bubble wrap would so it... but i want to promote intellect... not just a gun with a popper...

plus they can have fun on the ipod touch and computer... as well as have a really great chance to learn...

i love my kids... what can i say
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2009 1:00:14 PM
At 10/13/2009 12:24:27 PM, comoncents wrote:

you are 100% right... bubble wrap would so it... but i want to promote intellect... not just a gun with a popper...

plus they can have fun on the ipod touch and computer... as well as have a really great chance to learn...

Seriously, an iPhone is the worst gift for a 2 and 4 year old. Please re-think this, they think they're another toy and it will end up in some box\container in a week, She thinks the apps are good. Fine, but there's only so many free apps.

Get her a Wii or a DSi. Both better than iPhones. But now to avoid disappointment.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2009 1:03:31 PM
At 10/13/2009 1:00:14 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/13/2009 12:24:27 PM, comoncents wrote:

Seriously, an iPhone is the worst gift for a 2 and 4 year old. Please re-think this, they think they're another toy and it will end up in some box\container in a week, She thinks the apps are good. Fine, but there's only so many free apps.

Get her a Wii or a DSi. Both better than iPhones. But now to avoid disappointment.

not iphone..

ipod touch... and i don't mind paying for apps... my account already has everything she likes... so it will not cost any more then reasonable...

she already as something like the wii
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2009 1:22:16 PM
well i love them...

i love them to death

If you really love them, you won't show it by getting them trendy material goods. These are their formative years. Instead, you should be setting the example that twice a year, for christmas and their birthday, they get to choose ONE thing that they want, and it will be given to them, provided that it is reasonable.

It teaches them responsibility.

Unless they specifically asked for all of those electronics, then I don't see a reason why you should expose them to all these material things so early on :/

Imagination at that age is important for a reason. Your style of thinking at that age is wildly different from that of an adult, and the way a child exercises his or her imagination as a child forms the way they think rationally as adults. It is a form of play-learning. Lion cubs practice stalking and pouncing their siblings, and young children practice intellectually by using their imaginations.

If you're focused on having them develop intellectually, there are much better ways.

My mother and father worked full time when I was a kid, and my grandmother babysat me for most of the day. At 6:00, my mother would rush back in full businesswear and not 10 minutes later, would be reading with me. Packages of books from the library, picture books, for at least an hour and a half. Then, she would cook dinner, feed me, my dad would do the same when he got home from work, and he would teach me math.

This was all before I started kindergarten.

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2009 1:28:38 PM
At 10/13/2009 1:22:16 PM, Kleptin wrote:
well i love them...

i love them to death

If you really love them, you won't show it by getting them trendy material goods. These are their formative years. Instead, you should be setting the example that twice a year, for christmas and their birthday, they get to choose ONE thing that they want, and it will be given to them, provided that it is reasonable.

Unless they specifically asked for all of those electronics, then I don't see a reason why you should expose them to all these material things so early on :/

Imagination at that age is important for a reason. Your style of thinking at that age is wildly different from that of an adult, and the way a child exercises his or her imagination as a child forms the way they think rationally as adults. It is a form of play-learning. Lion cubs practice stalking and pouncing their siblings, and young children practice intellectually by using their imaginations.

If you're focused on having them develop intellectually, there are much better ways.

My mother and father worked full time when I was a kid, and my grandmother babysat me for most of the day. At 6:00, my mother would rush back in full businesswear and not 10 minutes later, would be reading with me. Packages of books from the library, picture books, for at least an hour and a half. Then, she would cook dinner, feed me, my dad would do the same when he got home from work, and he would teach me math.

yeah my little girl asked for it...

my son is justified for getting one
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2009 2:16:00 PM
At 10/13/2009 1:28:38 PM, comoncents wrote:
well i love them...

i love them to death

The 2 year old?? 0.0
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2009 5:30:43 PM
At 10/14/2009 2:16:00 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
well i love them...

i love them to death

The 2 year old?? 0.0

Who has mild form of autism...

It is the only thing that is stimulating to him, as well as being the only thing that is teaching him.

he has learned so much with just messing with my iphone...
so i am going to get him and ipod touch

cheap and is everything but the phone
6Paq
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2009 5:36:28 PM

I'm playing with bubble wrap right now!
Don't report me
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2009 5:48:34 PM
If I was 4 years old and got an iPhone for Christmas it'd be like, well, Christmas. I think that's an awesome present.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
6Paq
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2009 6:14:26 PM
At 10/14/2009 5:48:34 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
If I was 4 years old and got an iPhone for Christmas it'd be like, well, Christmas. I think that's an awesome present.

I got an iPhone for Christmas a few years ago and I act like a 4 year old! They'll love their presents. No matter what anyone else on this site says, you're doing the right thing.
Don't report me
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2009 12:13:31 PM
At 10/14/2009 5:48:34 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

see....
but it is not an iphone... it is an ipod touch
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2009 1:06:42 PM
At 10/14/2009 5:30:43 PM, comoncents wrote:
well i love them...

i love them to death

The 2 year old?? 0.0

It is the only thing that is stimulating to him, as well as being the only thing that is teaching him.

Sorry, to hear that. I suppose your daughter will crave one once he gets one, so good call I guess.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2009 1:09:23 PM
At 10/15/2009 1:06:42 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
well i love them...

i love them to death

The 2 year old?? 0.0

Sorry, to hear that. I suppose your daughter will crave one once he gets one, so good call I guess.

Thats what i was saying... she loves it as well... if it were not for him i would not get them anything along those lines... i would get them a bike or hotwheel... but it is the only think he connects with... and truly loves it.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2009 1:12:24 PM
At 10/15/2009 1:10:21 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
christmas cuz i get to be santas little helper :)

Not so little where it counts eh?
wonderwoman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2009 1:17:57 PM
At 10/15/2009 1:12:24 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/15/2009 1:10:21 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
christmas cuz i get to be santas little helper :)

Not so little where it counts eh?

what?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2009 1:52:54 PM
Christmas has become way too commercial. There are actually people out there that don't even know the real meaning of christmas, thinking it's just a huge shopping spree. I know of people who spend thousands of dollars on christmas shopping alone. Sure, the same thing could be said about halloween, that it's too commercial, but it's not to the same extent. I could be slightly biased though as halloween is my absolute favorite holiday. :D I love being able to dress up totally silly and get away with it.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2009 2:02:53 PM
At 10/15/2009 1:52:54 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Christmas has become way too commercial. There are actually people out there that don't even know the real meaning of christmas, thinking it's just a huge shopping spree. I know of people who spend thousands of dollars on christmas shopping alone. Sure, the same thing could be said about halloween, that it's too commercial, but it's not to the same extent. I could be slightly biased though as halloween is my absolute favorite holiday. :D I love being able to dress up totally silly and get away with it.

You guys stole hallowe'en from us. We want it back - for €10 BILLION DOLLARS!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2009 2:07:28 PM
At 10/15/2009 2:02:53 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

You guys don't have halloween? :(
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2009 2:10:11 PM
At 10/15/2009 2:07:28 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 10/15/2009 2:02:53 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

You guys don't have halloween? :(

Oh, we do. But it was our idea first, and we want it back.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2009 2:13:30 PM

Holy crap. You might have an autistic savant. Give him other electronic things to play with.