Total Posts:139|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is being a slut bad?

Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 3:56:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm curious, what are DDO's opinions on girls who have a lot of casual sex with other people? Is it worse for a girl to have lots of casual sex than a guy? Is the word 'slut' used oppressively to control women's sexuality or is it a fair term of criticism?

It's fine to bring religious views into it, but I don't really want that to become the focus - it's the social shaming of some girls that I'm most interested in.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 5:32:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 3:56:38 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I'm curious, what are DDO's opinions on girls who have a lot of casual sex with other people?
It's none of my business how much sex other people are having- women included.
Is it worse for a girl to have lots of casual sex than a guy?
No. Although it used to be considered so- before the advent of birth control and paternity tests. You know, when women were the property of their husbands and had no real legal recourse to do much of anything. If a woman was having a lot of casual sex, it meant it was easier for a man to be cuckolded. This is not a problem anymore and thus women having casual sex should not be a problem. However, illogical, ignorant, and hateful ideas about women (and many other things and people) die hard.

Is the word 'slut' used oppressively to control women's sexuality or is it a fair term of criticism?

Yes it is used oppressively to control women's sexuality as it is literally a special word reserved for women who have what society deems to be an "inappropriate" amount of sex for a woman to have- or even if she just seems to be having an inappropriate amount of sex, or is just too seemingly sexual in general. How much sex is an "inappropriate" amount of sex is, of course, subjective. And so is what type of dress is considered "slutty." In the eyes of some conservative countries, ALL American women are slutty whores due simply to the American norms for clothing and fashion trends and the relatively casual attitude toward sex.

Anyway, pure bunk. If someone has called a woman a "slut", they are only expressing their own personal problem with women's sexuality- that woman's sexuality has clearly overstepped their idea of what is an acceptable amount of sexuality for a woman to express (and boy, does everybody have an idea for what is an acceptable amount of and type of sexuality to express).
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 8:22:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Well, I think there are three questions here:

1) Is being a slut bad?
2) Is having lots of casual sex bad?
3) Why are people who do #2 called sluts?

According to the internet, "slut" has its origins, not in sexual connotation, but of cleanliness. Being "slutty" (or, rather, "sluttish"), meant you were dirty or slovenly. So, being this, I think, is bad. That answers #1.

Now, the answer to #2 is: not necessarily so. However, with increased casual sex among different partners, you increase the chance of STDs and unwanted pregnancies, regardless of the degree of protection you use. So it is not inherently or necessarily bad, but you are increasingly inviting bad things to happen to you and those you are around.

Given the "dirty" nature of STD's and the low social standing (historically) of women with loose morals, and the general impression of hookers and prostitutes of the like, we can see how the word "slut" could get associated with such behavior. However, today, it has been diluted and co-opted. Some women embrace the term, others use it as an insult whether or not it applies, linguistically, it's all over the place.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 8:26:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 8:22:03 PM, drafterman wrote:
Well, I think there are three questions here:

1) Is being a slut bad?
2) Is having lots of casual sex bad?
3) Why are people who do #2 called sluts?

According to the internet, "slut" has its origins, not in sexual connotation, but of cleanliness. Being "slutty" (or, rather, "sluttish"), meant you were dirty or slovenly. So, being this, I think, is bad. That answers #1.

Now, the answer to #2 is: not necessarily so. However, with increased casual sex among different partners, you increase the chance of STDs and unwanted pregnancies, regardless of the degree of protection you use. So it is not inherently or necessarily bad, but you are increasingly inviting bad things to happen to you and those you are around.

Given the "dirty" nature of STD's and the low social standing (historically) of women with loose morals, and the general impression of hookers and prostitutes of the like, we can see how the word "slut" could get associated with such behavior. However, today, it has been diluted and co-opted. Some women embrace the term, others use it as an insult whether or not it applies, linguistically, it's all over the place.

That criticism almost never applies men under identical circumstances, and also, if there was a guarantee of no STDs in reckless fornication, people would still very likely consider it dirty.

My point is that you're trying to rationalize something that actually isn't all that rational. It likely has religious or patriarchal origins that have persisted through time.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 8:27:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 3:56:38 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I'm curious, what are DDO's opinions on girls who have a lot of casual sex with other people? Is it worse for a girl to have lots of casual sex than a guy? Is the word 'slut' used oppressively to control women's sexuality or is it a fair term of criticism?

It's fine to bring religious views into it, but I don't really want that to become the focus - it's the social shaming of some girls that I'm most interested in.

I think it's perfectly acceptable for consenting adults to have sex with other consenting adults to the extent that they choose. I also think that who one wants to have sex with (wether male or female or both), or the number of people one does have sex with is both not anyone else's business. Wether you are a guy or a girl, wether you're a virgin or -like Gene Simmons- you have had sex with more than 1000 people, it doesn't matter.

*whispers*

I also think that -especially girls- who judge other girls for having multiple sexual partners do so, not because it's wrong or they think it's wrong- but because they can't see that much action.

I'm just saying...

There is nothing wrong with being a slut, regardless of wether you are male or female.
Tsar of DDO
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 8:29:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 8:26:44 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/13/2012 8:22:03 PM, drafterman wrote:
Well, I think there are three questions here:

1) Is being a slut bad?
2) Is having lots of casual sex bad?
3) Why are people who do #2 called sluts?

According to the internet, "slut" has its origins, not in sexual connotation, but of cleanliness. Being "slutty" (or, rather, "sluttish"), meant you were dirty or slovenly. So, being this, I think, is bad. That answers #1.

Now, the answer to #2 is: not necessarily so. However, with increased casual sex among different partners, you increase the chance of STDs and unwanted pregnancies, regardless of the degree of protection you use. So it is not inherently or necessarily bad, but you are increasingly inviting bad things to happen to you and those you are around.

Given the "dirty" nature of STD's and the low social standing (historically) of women with loose morals, and the general impression of hookers and prostitutes of the like, we can see how the word "slut" could get associated with such behavior. However, today, it has been diluted and co-opted. Some women embrace the term, others use it as an insult whether or not it applies, linguistically, it's all over the place.

That criticism almost never applies men under identical circumstances, and also, if there was a guarantee of no STDs in reckless fornication, people would still very likely consider it dirty.

My point is that you're trying to rationalize something that actually isn't all that rational. It likely has religious or patriarchal origins that have persisted through time.


ding! ding! ding! ding!
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 8:36:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Unprotected dangerous sex is something more to be inhibited imo, rather than just having a lot of (possibly safe) sex.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 9:26:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 3:56:38 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I'm curious, what are DDO's opinions on girls who have a lot of casual sex with other people? Is it worse for a girl to have lots of casual sex than a guy? Is the word 'slut' used oppressively to control women's sexuality or is it a fair term of criticism?

It's fine to bring religious views into it, but I don't really want that to become the focus - it's the social shaming of some girls that I'm most interested in.

No, being a slut isn't bad. Other people find out that you are is.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 9:29:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 3:56:38 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I'm curious, what are DDO's opinions on girls who have a lot of casual sex with other people? Is it worse for a girl to have lots of casual sex than a guy? Is the word 'slut' used oppressively to control women's sexuality or is it a fair term of criticism?

Of course it is. That's why a male who is promiscuous is worshiped as a stud and a female who is promiscuous is looked down upon.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 9:29:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 3:56:38 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I'm curious, what are DDO's opinions on girls who have a lot of casual sex with other people?

Mildly negative, but mostly if they are not private about it.

Is it worse for a girl to have lots of casual sex than a guy?

No, both are negative. I'd actually argue that guys doing it are more negative, because they are more likely to hurt people while doing it (they are more likely to try and trick the girl into it).

Is the word 'slut' used oppressively to control women's sexuality or is it a fair term of criticism?

Both.


It's fine to bring religious views into it, but I don't really want that to become the focus - it's the social shaming of some girls that I'm most interested in.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 9:38:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 3:56:38 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I'm curious, what are DDO's opinions on girls who have a lot of casual sex with other people? Is it worse for a girl to have lots of casual sex than a guy? Is the word 'slut' used oppressively to control women's sexuality or is it a fair term of criticism?

It's fine to bring religious views into it, but I don't really want that to become the focus - it's the social shaming of some girls that I'm most interested in.

1) Agree that "It's none of my business how much sex other people are having- women included."

2) Agree that the term slut "is used oppressively to control women's sexuality as it is literally a special word reserved for women who have what society deems to be an "inappropriate" amount of sex for a woman to have- or even if she just seems to be having an inappropriate amount of sex, or is just too seemingly sexual in general."

3) Agree that " If someone has called a woman a "slut", they are only expressing their own personal problem with women's sexuality- that woman's sexuality has clearly overstepped their idea of what is an acceptable amount of sexuality for a woman to express"

4) Agree that the term slut "almost never applies [to] men under identical circumstances, and also, if there was a guarantee of no STDs in reckless fornication, people would still very likely consider it dirty."

5) Agree that the term slut is "something that actually isn't all that rational. It likely has religious or patriarchal origins that have persisted through time."

6) Agree that "-especially girls- who judge other girls for having multiple sexual partners do so, not because it's wrong or they think it's wrong- but because they can't see that much action."

7) Agree that "There is nothing wrong with being a slut, regardless of wether [sic] you are male or female." EXCEPT THAT I think the word needs to be changed to something less offensive. Maybe a "stud" and a "studette". Both will describe horses that like to f*** and at least the former is socially acceptable.

Ok, that's basically it. I agree with just about everything everyone has posted so far on this topic.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 9:41:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 9:29:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/13/2012 3:56:38 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I'm curious, what are DDO's opinions on girls who have a lot of casual sex with other people?

Mildly negative, but mostly if they are not private about it.

Is it worse for a girl to have lots of casual sex than a guy?

No, both are negative. I'd actually argue that guys doing it are more negative, because they are more likely to hurt people while doing it (they are more likely to try and trick the girl into it).

Is the word 'slut' used oppressively to control women's sexuality or is it a fair term of criticism?

Both.


It's fine to bring religious views into it, but I don't really want that to become the focus - it's the social shaming of some girls that I'm most interested in.

1) Agree that discretion is a virtue.

2) Disagree that the word "slut" is a fair term of criticism. There is no equivalent term for men, and thus by its nature is discriminatory and "unfair".
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 9:45:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 9:41:29 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 12/13/2012 9:29:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/13/2012 3:56:38 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I'm curious, what are DDO's opinions on girls who have a lot of casual sex with other people?

Mildly negative, but mostly if they are not private about it.

Is it worse for a girl to have lots of casual sex than a guy?

No, both are negative. I'd actually argue that guys doing it are more negative, because they are more likely to hurt people while doing it (they are more likely to try and trick the girl into it).

Is the word 'slut' used oppressively to control women's sexuality or is it a fair term of criticism?

Both.


It's fine to bring religious views into it, but I don't really want that to become the focus - it's the social shaming of some girls that I'm most interested in.

1) Agree that discretion is a virtue.

2) Disagree that the word "slut" is a fair term of criticism. There is no equivalent term for men, and thus by its nature is discriminatory and "unfair".

1) "player" or "manwhore," but really, you can call a man a slut or whore. Since the words are used to portray negativity, the old "gender" association with them is obsolete.

2) discriminatory =/= unfair criticism.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 9:54:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 8:27:19 PM, YYW wrote:
At 12/13/2012 3:56:38 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I'm curious, what are DDO's opinions on girls who have a lot of casual sex with other people? Is it worse for a girl to have lots of casual sex than a guy? Is the word 'slut' used oppressively to control women's sexuality or is it a fair term of criticism?

It's fine to bring religious views into it, but I don't really want that to become the focus - it's the social shaming of some girls that I'm most interested in.

I think it's perfectly acceptable for consenting adults to have sex with other consenting adults to the extent that they choose. I also think that who one wants to have sex with (wether male or female or both), or the number of people one does have sex with is both not anyone else's business. Wether you are a guy or a girl, wether you're a virgin or -like Gene Simmons- you have had sex with more than 1000 people, it doesn't matter.

*whispers*

I also think that -especially girls- who judge other girls for having multiple sexual partners do so, not because it's wrong or they think it's wrong- but because they can't see that much action.

I'm just saying...

There is nothing wrong with being a slut, regardless of wether you are male or female.

*whether

(>.<)
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 9:58:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 9:54:25 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 12/13/2012 8:27:19 PM, YYW wrote:
At 12/13/2012 3:56:38 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I'm curious, what are DDO's opinions on girls who have a lot of casual sex with other people? Is it worse for a girl to have lots of casual sex than a guy? Is the word 'slut' used oppressively to control women's sexuality or is it a fair term of criticism?

It's fine to bring religious views into it, but I don't really want that to become the focus - it's the social shaming of some girls that I'm most interested in.

I think it's perfectly acceptable for consenting adults to have sex with other consenting adults to the extent that they choose. I also think that who one wants to have sex with (wether male or female or both), or the number of people one does have sex with is both not anyone else's business. Wether you are a guy or a girl, wether you're a virgin or -like Gene Simmons- you have had sex with more than 1000 people, it doesn't matter.

*whispers*

I also think that -especially girls- who judge other girls for having multiple sexual partners do so, not because it's wrong or they think it's wrong- but because they can't see that much action.

I'm just saying...

There is nothing wrong with being a slut, regardless of wether you are male or female.

*whether

(>.<)

Autocorrect.

Fvck it.
Tsar of DDO
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 10:00:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 9:45:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/13/2012 9:41:29 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 12/13/2012 9:29:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/13/2012 3:56:38 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I'm curious, what are DDO's opinions on girls who have a lot of casual sex with other people?

Mildly negative, but mostly if they are not private about it.

Is it worse for a girl to have lots of casual sex than a guy?

No, both are negative. I'd actually argue that guys doing it are more negative, because they are more likely to hurt people while doing it (they are more likely to try and trick the girl into it).

Is the word 'slut' used oppressively to control women's sexuality or is it a fair term of criticism?

Both.


It's fine to bring religious views into it, but I don't really want that to become the focus - it's the social shaming of some girls that I'm most interested in.

1) Agree that discretion is a virtue.

2) Disagree that the word "slut" is a fair term of criticism. There is no equivalent term for men, and thus by its nature is discriminatory and "unfair".

1) "player" or "manwhore," but really, you can call a man a slut or whore. Since the words are used to portray negativity, the old "gender" association with them is obsolete.

"Player" is definitely not a term with a negative connotation and "manwhore" is hardly equivalent in it's negative connotation to slut... In fact, the fact that you have to designate "man" at the beginning shows that the word is specifically used to refer to women. The fact that you immediately said after that "the old 'gender' association with them is obsolete" seems ironic........ Are you trolling?
2) discriminatory =/= unfair criticism.
Discrimination is essentially synonymous with "unfair." It has to do with unequal treatment of different classes of people. In this case, it is an unequal treatment of men and women and thus is "unfair." It is only a "fair" criticism if you believe that women should live up to gendered expectations for their sexuality which you seem to think are "obsolete."
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 10:01:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Depends how good you look.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
thett3
Posts: 14,344
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 10:03:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Not sure if it answers the OP but the hypocrisy from most men about this is almost disturbing.

Guy sleeps with random girl:

"DUDE NICE!!!" *highfive*

Girl sleeps with random guy:

Wow, slut.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 10:06:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 10:03:45 PM, thett3 wrote:
Not sure if it answers the OP but the hypocrisy from most men about this is almost disturbing.

Guy sleeps with random girl:

"DUDE NICE!!!" *highfive*

Girl sleeps with random guy:

Wow, slut.

Do you have any idea how wrong that is? The guys that offer the high five to the man slut are not critizing the woman slut, they are trying to get her number. The people that criticize the woman slut for sleeping around also criticize men who do the same thing.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 10:13:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 9:45:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/13/2012 9:41:29 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 12/13/2012 9:29:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/13/2012 3:56:38 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I'm curious, what are DDO's opinions on girls who have a lot of casual sex with other people?

Mildly negative, but mostly if they are not private about it.

Is it worse for a girl to have lots of casual sex than a guy?

No, both are negative. I'd actually argue that guys doing it are more negative, because they are more likely to hurt people while doing it (they are more likely to try and trick the girl into it).

Is the word 'slut' used oppressively to control women's sexuality or is it a fair term of criticism?

Both.


It's fine to bring religious views into it, but I don't really want that to become the focus - it's the social shaming of some girls that I'm most interested in.

1) Agree that discretion is a virtue.

2) Disagree that the word "slut" is a fair term of criticism. There is no equivalent term for men, and thus by its nature is discriminatory and "unfair".

1) "player" or "manwhore," but really, you can call a man a slut or whore. Since the words are used to portray negativity, the old "gender" association with them is obsolete.

2) discriminatory =/= unfair criticism.

1) I find that women typically don't describe men using "slut" or "whore", and that men that use it to describe other men are more than likely homosexual (because such usage would be appropriate, not because I have anything for or against homosexuality).

2) Agree. On top of unfair criticism, I think usage of such words are discriminatory as well.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 10:16:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 10:06:33 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/13/2012 10:03:45 PM, thett3 wrote:
Not sure if it answers the OP but the hypocrisy from most men about this is almost disturbing.

Guy sleeps with random girl:

"DUDE NICE!!!" *highfive*

Girl sleeps with random guy:

Wow, slut.

Do you have any idea how wrong that is? The guys that offer the high five to the man slut are not critizing the woman slut, they are trying to get her number. The people that criticize the woman slut for sleeping around also criticize men who do the same thing.

I disagree. Usually the same men would be giving the compliment to the "man-slut" and the insult to the "woman-slut". Most men that call women sluts are misogynists, not sexual puritans.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 10:18:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Well, never mind...some are misogynists, and some are sexual puritans. I suppose there are both types.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 10:19:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Some men view women as conquests, and the more a woman is "conquered", the less value such territory has compared to "virgin territory".

These men would call the conquerors "studs" and the conquered "sluts".
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 10:20:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 10:03:45 PM, thett3 wrote:
Not sure if it answers the OP but the hypocrisy from most men about this is almost disturbing.

Guy sleeps with random girl:

"DUDE NICE!!!" *highfive*

Girl sleeps with random guy:

Wow, slut.

This.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 10:23:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 10:13:58 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 12/13/2012 9:45:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/13/2012 9:41:29 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 12/13/2012 9:29:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/13/2012 3:56:38 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I'm curious, what are DDO's opinions on girls who have a lot of casual sex with other people?

Mildly negative, but mostly if they are not private about it.

Is it worse for a girl to have lots of casual sex than a guy?

No, both are negative. I'd actually argue that guys doing it are more negative, because they are more likely to hurt people while doing it (they are more likely to try and trick the girl into it).

Is the word 'slut' used oppressively to control women's sexuality or is it a fair term of criticism?

Both.


It's fine to bring religious views into it, but I don't really want that to become the focus - it's the social shaming of some girls that I'm most interested in.

1) Agree that discretion is a virtue.

2) Disagree that the word "slut" is a fair term of criticism. There is no equivalent term for men, and thus by its nature is discriminatory and "unfair".

1) "player" or "manwhore," but really, you can call a man a slut or whore. Since the words are used to portray negativity, the old "gender" association with them is obsolete.

2) discriminatory =/= unfair criticism.

1) I find that women typically don't describe men using "slut" or "whore", and that men that use it to describe other men are more than likely homosexual (because such usage would be appropriate, not because I have anything for or against homosexuality).

My wife has called me a whore a number of times, as well as other men (though it has been mostly used as a general insult, and not descriptive of anything sexual). Typically those men are not called anything regarding their sexual actions, but are just called douche bags.


2) Agree. On top of unfair criticism, I think usage of such words are discriminatory as well.

By agreeing that those terms are not equal, there is no standing opposition to my claim that it is discriminatory and fair.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 10:24:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 10:19:12 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
Some men view women as conquests, and the more a woman is "conquered", the less value such territory has compared to "virgin territory".

These men would call the conquerors "studs" and the conquered "sluts".

And they make up what, less than 1/10% of men?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 10:26:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 10:16:48 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 12/13/2012 10:06:33 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/13/2012 10:03:45 PM, thett3 wrote:
Not sure if it answers the OP but the hypocrisy from most men about this is almost disturbing.

Guy sleeps with random girl:

"DUDE NICE!!!" *highfive*

Girl sleeps with random guy:

Wow, slut.

Do you have any idea how wrong that is? The guys that offer the high five to the man slut are not critizing the woman slut, they are trying to get her number. The people that criticize the woman slut for sleeping around also criticize men who do the same thing.

I disagree. Usually the same men would be giving the compliment to the "man-slut" and the insult to the "woman-slut". Most men that call women sluts are misogynists, not sexual puritans.

Men who want to sleep with a bunch of women are looking for "sluts" so there is no logical reason for them to insult and degrade them. Most people that refer to the sexually active women as "sluts" are old people, like my grandparents.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 10:26:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 10:19:12 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
Some men view women as conquests, and the more a woman is "conquered", the less value such territory has compared to "virgin territory".

These men would call the conquerors "studs" and the conquered "sluts".

I take pride in being a "slut" because I sure I am to somebody. Those people can kiss my @ss. :) If some guy takes issue with that, I take issue with him. I consider my "number" a douche-shield against guys who hold attitudes like what you've said here. I would never want to be with a toolbag like that anyway.

I told my now boyfriend when we first got together how many dudes I'd been with prior. He didn't miss a beat and said, "that's a good round number." We've been together for almost 5 years now. ^_^
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 10:38:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 10:26:06 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/13/2012 10:16:48 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 12/13/2012 10:06:33 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/13/2012 10:03:45 PM, thett3 wrote:
Not sure if it answers the OP but the hypocrisy from most men about this is almost disturbing.

Guy sleeps with random girl:

"DUDE NICE!!!" *highfive*

Girl sleeps with random guy:

Wow, slut.

Do you have any idea how wrong that is? The guys that offer the high five to the man slut are not critizing the woman slut, they are trying to get her number. The people that criticize the woman slut for sleeping around also criticize men who do the same thing.

I disagree. Usually the same men would be giving the compliment to the "man-slut" and the insult to the "woman-slut". Most men that call women sluts are misogynists, not sexual puritans.

Men who want to sleep with a bunch of women are looking for "sluts" so there is no logical reason for them to insult and degrade them. Most people that refer to the sexually active women as "sluts" are old people, like my grandparents.

Just because they sleep with them, doesn't mean they don't think of them as sluts. Likewise, it can be assumed the third party high-fiver is not a female gamer.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 11:08:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/13/2012 10:38:35 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/13/2012 10:26:06 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/13/2012 10:16:48 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 12/13/2012 10:06:33 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/13/2012 10:03:45 PM, thett3 wrote:
Not sure if it answers the OP but the hypocrisy from most men about this is almost disturbing.

Guy sleeps with random girl:

"DUDE NICE!!!" *highfive*

Girl sleeps with random guy:

Wow, slut.

Do you have any idea how wrong that is? The guys that offer the high five to the man slut are not critizing the woman slut, they are trying to get her number. The people that criticize the woman slut for sleeping around also criticize men who do the same thing.

I disagree. Usually the same men would be giving the compliment to the "man-slut" and the insult to the "woman-slut". Most men that call women sluts are misogynists, not sexual puritans.

Men who want to sleep with a bunch of women are looking for "sluts" so there is no logical reason for them to insult and degrade them. Most people that refer to the sexually active women as "sluts" are old people, like my grandparents.

Just because they sleep with them, doesn't mean they don't think of them as sluts. Likewise, it can be assumed the third party high-fiver is not a female gamer.

While the "man slut" may not think of them as equals to him (and likely doesn't), it is not likely that he thinks of them as less than other run of the mill women.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"