Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Atheists vs. Christmas

Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 3:41:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is not a thread about tax dollars being spent on parades, nor is it a thread about Christmas carols in schools or mentioned by politicians.

Delivering pizza the other day, there was a co-worker, who is an atheist, was railing against his deliveries' customers for constantly wishing him a merry Christmas. I found this incredibly petty for two reasons:

1. "Merry Christmas" is a time-specific, religious-specific way of saying "have a nice day", what is wrong with someone wishing pleasantness upon you? Should one get angry for wishing you a happy Birthday, Labor Day, or "have a good weekend"?

2. It seems hypocritical to me to be upset by this, unless you, as an atheist, do not benefit from this religious day in any way. Atheists should not complain about the holiday's blessings from passers-by if they:
Get together with family for the sole purpose of the holiday
Exchange presents
Receive a paid day off or holiday pay if working
Receive a Christmas bonus

If any of these activities are engaged in by an atheist, that person has no right to be upset that someone wishes them merriment on that day.

Am I wrong? It seems like a dick-ish move to complain/be upset that someone wishes you a Merry Christmas.
My work here is, finally, done.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 4:01:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It is rude, but very few atheist are anti-Christmas. I think you just have an odd friend.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 4:06:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/21/2012 4:01:15 PM, vbaculum wrote:
It is rude, but very few atheist are anti-Christmas. I think you just have an odd *co-worker*.

Fixed.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 4:07:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I forgot to add this to the OP:

The other "war against Christmas" stuff I alluded to is at least founded in logic, but most atheists find this attitude beyond the pail, right? I assume most atheists are sensible regarding the exchanging of salutations, unlike this guy.
My work here is, finally, done.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 6:02:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/21/2012 4:07:41 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I forgot to add this to the OP:

The other "war against Christmas" stuff I alluded to is at least founded in logic, but most atheists find this attitude beyond the pail, right? I assume most atheists are sensible regarding the exchanging of salutations, unlike this guy.

Not sure what you mean. I don't think most people, let alone atheists, believe there is a war on Christmas.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure most atheists in the West just like Christmas. Christmas has it's roots in several pagan celebrations; it's not strictly a Christian (or religious) holiday. I personally see it as a celebration of materialism - at least in the way I celebrate it.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 6:22:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/21/2012 6:02:53 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 12/21/2012 4:07:41 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I forgot to add this to the OP:

The other "war against Christmas" stuff I alluded to is at least founded in logic, but most atheists find this attitude beyond the pail, right? I assume most atheists are sensible regarding the exchanging of salutations, unlike this guy.

Not sure what you mean. I don't think most people, let alone atheists, believe there is a war on Christmas.
I am just saying atheists (or other religious followers) are likely to complain if a city hall has a manger, or if a school has a Christmas play or sings religious Christmas carols. I can appreciate their postition and their logic, though I disagree, generally.

War on Christmas might have been the wrong term. I was just trying to gloss over an idea and I thought that term would get the point accross, as I said, I didn't want this thread to go down that path. I was trying to phrase the question to atheists by asking if this attitude was beyond the pail compared to the normal atheist reservations of Christmas in public.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure most atheists in the West just like Christmas.
Exactly, which is why his attitude upset me.

Christmas has it's roots in several pagan celebrations; it's not strictly a Christian (or religious) holiday. I personally see it as a celebration of materialism - at least in the way I celebrate it.

It is materialistic in the way most people celebrate it, which makes me having money problems suck even more :)
My work here is, finally, done.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 7:13:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/21/2012 4:01:15 PM, vbaculum wrote:
It is rude, but very few atheist are anti-Christmas. I think you just have an odd friend.

This. I love christmas
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault