Jump to topic:

Masculism

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 4:13:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
From Wikipedia, it's "'1. the belief that equality between the sexes requires the recognition and redress of prejudice and discrimination against men as well as women. 2. the movement organized around this belief.'" It notably makes itself present in such cases like custody law, violence against men, conscription, etc. You can read more on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org...

What do you think of the idea/movement of masculism? Is it good, important? Bad, unnecessary, antifeminist? Etc?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
TheTraditionalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 7:04:32 PM
At 12/23/2012 4:13:13 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
From Wikipedia, it's "'1. the belief that equality between the sexes requires the recognition and redress of prejudice and discrimination against men as well as women. 2. the movement organized around this belief.'" It notably makes itself present in such cases like custody law, violence against men, conscription, etc. You can read more on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org...

What do you think of the idea/movement of masculism? Is it good, important? Bad, unnecessary, antifeminist? Etc?

I think it is dumb. If you truly want to fix gender inequality you cannot focus of the needs of only one of the sexes. That's what I believe both feminists and these masculinists are responsible of doing. But then again with feminism I'm not always sure if there is a there there.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 7:43:34 PM

It depends, there are definitely places where there is prejudice and inequality against men. However, I believe, that with much of feminism, it goes way over the top to the point of turning people off.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
RationalMadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 7:59:39 PM

Women are inferior to men, they are superior at being inferior though. Men get super sensitive when a woman beats them at ANYTHING.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 8:20:09 PM
I do think with feminism and masculism both have their place. We live in a world that does seem to look down on men since feminism is a very popular part of our culture nowadays.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 10:58:32 PM
Just as dumb as feminism.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 12:48:15 AM

I think it is stupid, as is feminism.

Sexism has its benefits and its pitfalls, but, in my opinion, most differences should be embraced and explored openly, and not think there is a mystical reason or legal solution.

For example, generally, men want to see naked women more than vice versa. Therefore, it makes sense that more women are strippers (or there are places that ONLY hire women). Is this necessarily bad?
My work here is, finally, done.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 2:00:08 AM

It's a poignant movement, shall we say, predominantly of, by, and for whiny guys who are engaged in scapegoating feminists and what they decry as the feminization of our society for their lack of security about their manhood, or their unhappy economic and-or existential lot in modern society.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 2:04:20 AM
At 12/24/2012 2:00:08 AM, charleslb wrote:

It's a poignant movement, shall we say, predominantly of, by, and for whiny guys who are engaged in scapegoating feminists and what they decry as the feminization of our society for their lack of security about their manhood, or their unhappy economic and-or existential lot in modern society.

This. This. 1000x this.
Tsar of DDO
CarefulNow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 2:16:45 PM
Wouldn't equality of the sexes require only the redress of some of the discrimination against the more discriminated against sex? (Domestic, presumably) violence against men, for instance, goes along way toward making men and women equally beaten up. As for custody law, a man cannot be trusted to be a legal guardian, because there is no evolutionary basis for certainty that the child is his. Besides, an active male parent is a waste of testosterone we could be conscripting.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 3:44:07 PM
At 12/23/2012 10:58:32 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Please, educate me on how dumb feminism is because, fact, women are discriminated against all over the world based on real or imaginary differences.
yang.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 11:38:26 PM
At 12/23/2012 8:22:58 PM, Koopin wrote:
Feminism - "Yeah, go women! Give them rights"

Masculism - "GASP! You chauvinist pig!"

Masculism seems like someone asking "Why don't we have white history month?"

Most feminists want all people, male and female, to be liberated from sexist role patterns, domination and oppression. The reason there's a focus on women and women's rights is because women have been historically oppressed as most societies, especially western societies, have been patriarchal in nature.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 11:38:31 PM
President of DDO
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 11:48:38 PM
At 12/24/2012 3:44:07 PM, tulle wrote:

Please, educate me on how dumb feminism is because, fact, women are discriminated against all over the world based on real or imaginary differences.

That's asking for equality.

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 11:50:03 PM
I think Feminism masculinizes women because their trying to be too much like men. I want women to be girly girls, even if they are a successful business woman.

Women should embrace their girlhood. What's next, do Feminists want men to give birth too?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 2:29:06 PM

There is, and will always be discrimination in some form against both.

If people could accept that fact that there are things that each gender are better suited for than the other, we would get along alot better. Problem is that any mention of gender roles automatically prompts most women to label me a misogynist.

*looks around to see if Royal is here*
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 3:08:24 PM
At 12/24/2012 11:48:38 PM, OberHerr wrote:

What do you think feminists are trying to do?
yang.
iamnotwhoiam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 3:19:16 PM
At 12/24/2012 11:50:03 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I think Feminism masculinizes women because their trying to be too much like men. I want women to be girly girls, even if they are a successful business woman.

Women should embrace their girlhood. What's next, do Feminists want men to give birth too?

Feminism doesn't masculinize women at all. However, it resists the attempts of some men to define what is womanly or girly for them. A woman can be a feminist and as "girly" as she likes.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 3:22:23 PM
At 12/26/2012 3:08:24 PM, tulle wrote:
At 12/24/2012 11:48:38 PM, OberHerr wrote:

What do you think feminists are trying to do?

I should probably say feminists today. Since inequality between sexes is at this point almost nonexistent, or any of the current inequalities are approved by the sexes, it's kinda pointless to try and do thing different. Say with Masculism. There is negligible difference in the rights between men and women.

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 3:36:12 PM
At 12/26/2012 3:19:16 PM, iamnotwhoiam wrote:
At 12/24/2012 11:50:03 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Feminism doesn't masculinize women at all. However, it resists the attempts of some men to define what is womanly or girly for them. A woman can be a feminist and as "girly" as she likes.

But this makes them stop shaving their legs and pits, and many have moustaches thicker than mine, not to mention that tough guy attitude some of them get. Combine that with pms and sorry but that's not very "girly". SHAVE YOU FEMINAZI SWEATHOGS!!!!

*runs*
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 3:52:29 PM
At 12/26/2012 3:19:16 PM, iamnotwhoiam wrote:

10/10. I don't get how people don't understand that certain qualities aren't inherent to male/female binaries - especially people on DDO. I highly doubt all of the male members here are the pinnacle of masculinity. I bet many are quiet, introverted and passive in real life. Why is "masculine" automatically equated with the opposite? Yes, there are evolutionary, biological norms that dictate a standard for different sexes. However research shows that biological trends are not always reliable. For instance, I probably have a lot more testosterone than most women (lesbians are known to have more, and in general I can just tell that it appears to be the case based on other factors). Am I any less of a woman? Am I not feminine? If values and expressions change-- for instance if women become more assertive in politics and the mainstream media, and/or there is a bra burning movement and 90% of American women stop wearing skimpy clothes, etc., are the masses no longer "feminine" or has the standard of femininity changed and evolved? The latter indicates that society needs to recognize gender roles as arbitrary.

I know so many (heterosexual) female feminists who are extremely "girly" according to traditional standards in society. I consider myself pretty feminine. I prefer to date feminine women. There's nothing wrong about being "girly" and feminists don't argue that there is. Instead, they argue that the expectation that a woman is wrong, strange or at fault for not acting a certain way according to traditional societal expectations based on both biological norms and external variables (like culture) is unfounded. We find this harmful and sometimes even oppressive to both sexes. Some are more radical and suggest that much like people argue race doesn't really exist, that notions of sex don't either even though male/female reproductive systems clearly do.
President of DDO
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 11:11:48 PM

The Fool: Two Wrongs don;t make a Right. I am not part of any Ideologist LIES At ALL.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 11:26:47 PM
At 12/23/2012 7:43:34 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

It depends, there are definitely places where there is prejudice and inequality against men. However, I believe, that with much of feminism, it goes way over the top to the point of turning people off.

The Fool: One Individual OWES NOTHING TO ANOTHER @ ALL. No matter what the gender(unecessary) or sex and chromosomes and parts. Its immoral all together. THEY ARE BOTH HATE GROUPS. As Far as I AM CONCERNED
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 11:29:02 PM

It's a poignant movement, (NOTHING)

shall we say, (NOTHING)predominantly of, by(NOTHING)

, and for whiny guys who are engaged in scapegoating feminists(NOTHING) and what they decry as the(NOTHING) feminization of our society for their lack of security about their manhood, (NOTHING)or their unhappy economic and-or existential lot in modern society.

The Fool: This is one Long Cry baby line. No ARGUMENT WHO CARES!
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 4:34:40 PM
At 12/26/2012 11:26:47 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 12/23/2012 7:43:34 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

The Fool: One Individual OWES NOTHING TO ANOTHER @ ALL. No matter what the gender(unecessary) or sex and chromosomes and parts. Its immoral all together. THEY ARE BOTH HATE GROUPS. As Far as I AM CONCERNED

Do you consider the women of the suffrage movement to also be a hate group?
DudeWithoutTheE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 10:49:39 AM
At 12/26/2012 3:22:23 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I should probably say feminists today. Since inequality between sexes is at this point almost nonexistent, or any of the current inequalities are approved by the sexes, it's kinda pointless to try and do thing different. Say with Masculism. There is negligible difference in the rights between men and women.

That's just not true. Or at the very least, true only if you define rights incredibly narrowly and legalistically. There remains great difference in the amount of cultural and societal power held by men and women. A good example is how any feminism discussion at some point seems to have the issue of what is an attractive way for a woman to carry herself rear its head, as if being attractive were the necessary primary goal in life of all women.

I'm pretty sure Danielle argued in a recent feminism debate that 'injustices against men aren't the responsibility of feminists to worry about' or something like that. It seems to me, in theory, that masculism makes sense in order to combat injustices such as the presumption of custody by the mother in break-ups which do primarily affect men. However, in toto such injustices add up to so much less than those against women, it makes the movement just fundamentally unimportant. And there are questions of whether, if masculism is actually promoting gender equality through pursuing issues feminism doesn't have time to because it has bigger fish to fry, it folds into feminism itself, or if it is defined as support for gender roles etc if it doesn't just fold into antifeminism.
CarefulNow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 9:59:20 AM
At 12/30/2012 10:49:39 AM, DudeWithoutTheE wrote:
That's just not true. Or at the very least, true only if you define rights incredibly narrowly and legalistically. There remains great difference in the amount of cultural and societal power held by men and women. A good example is how any feminism discussion at some point seems to have the issue of what is an attractive way for a woman to carry herself rear its head, as if being attractive were the necessary primary goal in life of all women.

I'm pretty sure Danielle argued in a recent feminism debate that 'injustices against men aren't the responsibility of feminists to worry about' or something like that. It seems to me, in theory, that masculism makes sense in order to combat injustices such as the presumption of custody by the mother in break-ups which do primarily affect men. However, in toto such injustices add up to so much less than those against women, it makes the movement just fundamentally unimportant. And there are questions of whether, if masculism is actually promoting gender equality through pursuing issues feminism doesn't have time to because it has bigger fish to fry, it folds into feminism itself, or if it is defined as support for gender roles etc if it doesn't just fold into antifeminism.

You're comparing apples and oranges, so I'm curious how you "add up" them. First, you focus on informal injustice against women, the obligation to be attractive; verily, such obligation primarily afflicts females. But then there is the obligation to be successful in an equally narrow and base sense, monetarily, which primarily afflicts males.

Evolution doesn't, in fact, provide many opportunities for inequality of the sexes. Specifically, females are more powerful in haplodiploid species and species in which maternity is more certain than paternity (knowledge of relation is of course necessary for the very beneficial kin-selected altruism), which includes humans and most other sexual species.

The idea of male dominance is a myth caused by lack of imagination (noticing that males are bigger or richer and going no further) or bourgeois bias: because there is greater inequality within the male sex, some men, including the most powerful humans, are indeed more powerful than women and even sometimes their own wives; working class males are unimportant, so why bother noticing that the flip side of the causal inequality is that most males are made even less powerful relative to women than they would otherwise be?

For instance, my working class father would hand his check to my working class mother immediately after receiving it, and that institution is so common as to be cliche; I didn't mind; after all, I love my mother more than my father, because she's more certainly my parent, especially because my father was working class (and therefore especially likely to have been cuckolded and especially unlikely to provide me with half-siblings through his own promiscuity).

But I'm certainly no masculinist, and I think you give the movement to much credit when you decry the custody inequality. Men can vote; if custody were as important to them as it is to women, they would get in equal measure. Of course, it isn't, and the reason is mentioned above, in case it's not obvious. Think of the children. Do we really want to hand them over to a sex that barely wants custody and perhaps to use as leverage against the mother or even exploit directly?