Jump to topic:

Hatred toward the United States

gj10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 4:10:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Why is America so disliked by other countries when it is the most generous country in the world?
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 4:12:14 PM
Because it's also very generous with its military, if you get my drift.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 4:18:30 PM
hey, the world should be greatful that we are allowing a majority of foreigners to live. We could easily kill them in the hundreds of millions.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 4:25:49 PM
At 12/31/2012 4:24:00 PM, tulle wrote:
@Dark I can't tell if you're being facetious but by "foreigners" you mean...?

Non-US citizens.....

Yes, I'm being facetious.
Open borders debate:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 4:26:57 PM
although the government can bomb citizens as well, so i should be thankful that the government hasn't obliterated me now. Hail the US government!!
Open borders debate:
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 4:27:34 PM
Non-US citizens living in the US though and not overseas? Some Americans have a tendency to call others foreigners when they in fact are the foreigners so I was just checking.
yang.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 6:23:13 AM
At 12/31/2012 4:27:34 PM, tulle wrote:
Non-US citizens living in the US though and not overseas? Some Americans have a tendency to call others foreigners when they in fact are the foreigners so I was just checking.

The best way to tell is if they can speak our native language.

So...if you don't speak Cherokee you can all just get the hell out of my country.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 7:19:54 AM
At 12/31/2012 4:10:31 PM, gj10 wrote:
Why is America so disliked by other countries when it is the most generous country in the world?

Many countries do not like us because our western culture is overrunning their traditional or conservative cultures. For example, I doubt Muslims like it when Britney spears posters are put up right outside of mecca. Also they see us giving freedoms to women and feel that their control over women is being threatened. I do not agree with the views of these other countries, but I can see where they are coming from with their opinions.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 7:40:12 AM
U.S citizens tend to have a certain nationalistic arrogance that makes other people feel snubbed. Ex) assuming some other countries don't have something America has (when they do have that thing), traveling to a foreign 1st world country and criticizing its roads, government, or traditions

But America is also beloved around the world. For a century, since the industrial revolution, the U.S has been a save haven for millions. Even for those who didn't have the means of arriving here, the thought that there existed such a place where there were economic opportunities and individual citizen empowerment put their minds at ease.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 5:14:31 PM
At 1/1/2013 7:19:54 AM, tmar19652 wrote:

Many countries do not like us because our western culture is overrunning their traditional or conservative cultures. For example, I doubt Muslims like it when Britney spears posters are put up right outside of mecca. Also they see us giving freedoms to women and feel that their control over women is being threatened. I do not agree with the views of these other countries, but I can see where they are coming from with their opinions.

However, on the other hand, many 1st world countries hate America because it is ultra-conservative. Compared other developed democracies, the USA, is crazy-religious, invades countries needlessly and does not take care of the old, poor and sick as well as other developed democracies.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 5:38:40 PM
At 1/1/2013 5:14:31 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

However, on the other hand, many 1st world countries hate America because it is ultra-conservative. Compared other developed democracies, the USA, is crazy-religious, invades countries needlessly and does not take care of the old, poor and sick as well as other developed democracies.

But with the US having a background of having to break away from Britain. It is understandable to be averse to big government. We also cannot afford a welfare state, and the current culture in America would not work under a welfare state (Laziness, "Finding ourselves" in college rather than studying)

We do invade countries needlessly though.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 6:46:20 PM
At 1/1/2013 5:38:40 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/1/2013 5:14:31 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

But with the US having a background of having to break away from Britain. It is understandable to be averse to big government. We also cannot afford a welfare state, and the current culture in America would not work under a welfare state (Laziness, "Finding ourselves" in college rather than studying)

We do invade countries needlessly though.

And that's why we hatez you.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
errya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 8:23:48 PM
At my school, there is a lot of America-hate. Most about fat people.

Seriously though, I've met 6 Americans in my life and they've been some of the nicest people I've ever known. I think the reason why America is hated a lot is because of how it deals with other countries. Unless they are dealing with China or Germany or some other powerful country, they tend to have quite a conscending big brother to little brother attitude.

USA: I hear you've been having some trouble, Iraq.

Iraq: Yeah, kind of.

USA: You need some help.

Iraq: Maybe I do.

USA: Well that settles it then! Don't worry little guy. It doesn't matter that you're such a bad state, I'd pay someone just to take you off my hands, and that you're so weak New Zealand could beat you in fight. I'm here now. Everything is gonna be aaall right.

Iraq: O-kay...

(after)

USA: Well, that's my job done! And don't forget little guy, if you ever need me, just give a shout!

Iraq: Grrr...

Some time later...

USA: Hey, Afganistan!
The Most Noble Lord Horatio Nelson, Viscount and Baron Nelson, of the Nile and of Burnham Thorpe in the County of Norfolk, Baron Nelson of the Nile and of Hilborough in the said County, Knight of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Vice Admiral of the White Squadron of the Fleet, Commander in Chief of his Majesty's Ships and Vessels in the Mediterranean, Duke of Bront" in the Kingdom of Sicily, Knight Grand Cross of the Sicilian Order of St Ferdinand and of Merit, Member of the Ottoman Ord...
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 2:58:23 AM
I don't think Americans are disliked around the world, but many people object to US foreign policy, especially in its unwavering support of Israel.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 1:31:14 PM

There is a somewhat common human phenomena, that people hate those that help them.

But the main reason people hate America is that it seeks to "impose" democracy & freedom on others.
This is not viewed favorably by the people in power, & religious fanatics.
& being that these people are the dominant influence in some locations, the common folk hate America as well.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 3:35:22 PM
At 1/2/2013 1:31:14 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

There is a somewhat common human phenomena, that people hate those that help them.

But the main reason people hate America is that it seeks to "impose" democracy & freedom on others.
This is not viewed favorably by the people in power, & religious fanatics.
& being that these people are the dominant influence in some locations, the common folk hate America as well.

I can tell you thats definitely not the reason we hate America here
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 3:50:55 PM
At 1/2/2013 2:58:23 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I don't think Americans are disliked around the world, but many people object to US foreign policy, especially in its unwavering support of Israel.

I have heard this said by foreigners about Americans:

"We love the American people, we hate the American government."
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 5:32:05 PM
At 1/2/2013 4:51:55 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Not just military intrusion but also the need to dominate the global market through any means necessary.

True. It is ery imperalistic that way.

Fun story.
Biodynamic food and stuff like that is quit a big thing where I live and quit a lot of people are against gmo's.
Anyway. Each time we change the rules for gmo's the US change the import tax on a number of products we export to them. If we make the rules harder then they increase the taxes.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 10:10:56 PM

America generous? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, I'm done.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 10:37:41 PM
At 1/2/2013 10:10:56 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

America generous? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, I'm done.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
Open borders debate:
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 11:39:45 PM

I've been all over Europe and in my experience it was only the French (and not all, just a select few) and a few Belgians that took issue with America, or me for that matter. The Germans I know, the Swiss, the Austrians, etc. all tended to be very pro-america. Their governments? Perhaps less... but the people were warm and hospitable. That, however, has generally been my experience wherever I travel. I have never run into a people that seemed to as a nation hate the united states. I would also note I have never been to the Middle East or Asia.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 2:17:08 AM
At 1/2/2013 11:39:45 PM, YYW wrote:

I've been all over Europe and in my experience it was only the French (and not all, just a select few) and a few Belgians that took issue with America, or me for that matter. The Germans I know, the Swiss, the Austrians, etc. all tended to be very pro-america.

It's interesting that you bring that up since I had Europeans bashing America when I told them I was from Canada, lol.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 2:59:59 AM

Would you be willing to debate that?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 3:01:00 AM
At 1/2/2013 10:37:41 PM, darkkermit wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Beat me too it.

And pwnt.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 3:02:20 AM
At 1/3/2013 2:17:08 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 1/2/2013 11:39:45 PM, YYW wrote:

I've been all over Europe and in my experience it was only the French (and not all, just a select few) and a few Belgians that took issue with America, or me for that matter. The Germans I know, the Swiss, the Austrians, etc. all tended to be very pro-america.

It's interesting that you bring that up since I had Europeans bashing America when I told them I was from Canada, lol.

Where were they from?