Total Posts:26|Showing Posts:1-26
Jump to topic:

Am I a sociopath?

crackofdawn_Jr
Posts: 1,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 11:30:38 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Do normal people...
1. think that they could kill millions of people without feeling remorse?
2. want to become a world dictator?
3. enjoy the thought of revenge on someone who has seriously wronged them (like torturing them before death)?

At the moment, I would never do any of these things and I believe I'm a good person. Yet, I have these thoughts. #1 I think of and know its wrong, I would never commit it, but I still can tell I wouldn't feel bad IF I did commit it.

#2, well, that one I actually want to do. However, I'm not so naive to think I could do it in my lifetime. I just simply wish to set the wheels in motion for it to happen.

#3, I'm pretty pacifistic but I could imagine myself torturing and killing a person who, for instance, killed someone I loved. Of course, once again, I wouldn't actually do it.

I just want to know if its okay to think these things even though I'd never do them. I don't know. Just looking for an outside point of view.
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 11:35:55 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Obviously we're all going to have certain characteristics of a sociopath, narcissist, depressive, etc. It doesn't mean that we actually suffer from those ailments. I think it becomes a problem if these tendencies either start to affect your life (you act on them), or if they're tearing you up on the inside. Since that doesn't seem to be the case, I think you're fine. However, since you were recently talking about how your faith in Christ is stronger than ever, you may want to read up on some of what Jesus had to say about some of the things you've described o.O
President of DDO
crackofdawn_Jr
Posts: 1,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 11:39:38 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/23/2009 11:35:55 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Obviously we're all going to have certain characteristics of a sociopath, narcissist, depressive, etc. It doesn't mean that we actually suffer from those ailments. I think it becomes a problem if these tendencies either start to affect your life (you act on them), or if they're tearing you up on the inside. Since that doesn't seem to be the case, I think you're fine. However, since you were recently talking about how your faith in Christ is stronger than ever, you may want to read up on some of what Jesus had to say about some of the things you've described o.O

Lol, that's my issue. I figure that as long as I know these are wrong and don't act on them, Jesus will forgive me.
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 12:00:53 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/23/2009 11:39:38 AM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:

Lol, that's my issue. I figure that as long as I know these are wrong and don't act on them, Jesus will forgive me.

True. But if you're bothered by it that much, it couldn't hurt to talk about it with someone. I'm guessing that guys in Texas are too macho to do that though.
President of DDO
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 12:07:28 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/23/2009 11:30:38 AM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
Do normal people...
1. think that they could kill millions of people without feeling remorse?
2. want to become a world dictator?
3. enjoy the thought of revenge on someone who has seriously wronged them (like torturing them before death)?

At the moment, I would never do any of these things and I believe I'm a good person. Yet, I have these thoughts. #1 I think of and know its wrong, I would never commit it, but I still can tell I wouldn't feel bad IF I did commit it.

#2, well, that one I actually want to do. However, I'm not so naive to think I could do it in my lifetime. I just simply wish to set the wheels in motion for it to happen.

#3, I'm pretty pacifistic but I could imagine myself torturing and killing a person who, for instance, killed someone I loved. Of course, once again, I wouldn't actually do it.

I just want to know if its okay to think these things even though I'd never do them. I don't know. Just looking for an outside point of view.

1. It really depends on the situation of the million deaths.

2. That's perfectly fine and not immoral at all. There's nothing inherently wrong about being a world dictator, it's what you do once you are dictator that counts.

3. Definitely nothing wrong with you. If someone killed the one I love, I wouldn't do anything *except* seek him out and torture him to a very, very slow and painful death.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 12:09:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/23/2009 11:30:38 AM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:

At the moment, I would never do any of these things and I believe I'm a good person. Yet, I have these thoughts. #1 I think of and know its wrong, I would never commit it, but I still can tell I wouldn't feel bad IF I did commit it.


No you would feel bad.

#2, well, that one I actually want to do. However, I'm not so naive to think I could do it in my lifetime. I just simply wish to set the wheels in motion for it to happen.


Well I know I would do a good job.

#3, I'm pretty pacifistic but I could imagine myself torturing and killing a person who, for instance, killed someone I loved. Of course, once again, I wouldn't actually do it.


Yes I could do that.
Certainly kill, maybe a little bit of torture.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 12:15:24 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
All of the above sound like a rational response to several situations, many of which are present today.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Twistedgypsychild
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 6:41:00 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/23/2009 11:39:38 AM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/23/2009 11:35:55 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Obviously we're all going to have certain characteristics of a sociopath, narcissist, depressive, etc. It doesn't mean that we actually suffer from those ailments. I think it becomes a problem if these tendencies either start to affect your life (you act on them), or if they're tearing you up on the inside. Since that doesn't seem to be the case, I think you're fine. However, since you were recently talking about how your faith in Christ is stronger than ever, you may want to read up on some of what Jesus had to say about some of the things you've described o.O

Lol, that's my issue. I figure that as long as I know these are wrong and don't act on them, Jesus will forgive me.

If you think Jesus will forgive you, that means that you indeed have sociopathic symptoms...lol

But anyway.. It would depend on how frequently you think these thought...thoughts lead to actions and logically speaking..if you think about something long enough.. it will eventually happen.

Jamie
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 7:27:41 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/23/2009 12:00:53 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 10/23/2009 11:39:38 AM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:

Lol, that's my issue. I figure that as long as I know these are wrong and don't act on them, Jesus will forgive me.

True. But if you're bothered by it that much, it couldn't hurt to talk about it with someone. I'm guessing that guys in Texas are too macho to do that though.

Men don't talk about their feelings.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 9:33:55 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/23/2009 7:27:41 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Men don't talk about their feelings.

Some men pretend to be women on the internet, then talk about their feelings XD
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 10:13:10 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
If you're a sociopath, you wouldn't be wondering about it, because you wouldn't have the concern to bring up the question in the first place. Though, I can easily agree that I would probably seek out and kill a person who wronged someone I was close with. I'm actually weighing such a prospect in my life at this very moment.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 10:20:49 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Ooh. Be sure to let us know when it comes to trial.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 5:04:04 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/23/2009 11:30:38 AM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
Do normal people...

Obviously depends what counts as normal. I think anyone who is completely 'normal' is pretty wierd.

1. think that they could kill millions of people without feeling remorse?

Sounds kind of iffy to me. Under what circumstances?

2. want to become a world dictator?

Probably pretty common (especially on this site lol) but not a desire I share.

3. enjoy the thought of revenge on someone who has seriously wronged them (like torturing them before death)?

I think everyone can relate to number 3 unless they're some kind of saint.
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2009 8:14:52 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/23/2009 11:30:38 AM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
Do normal people...
1. think that they could kill millions of people without feeling remorse?

I don't think I could do this. It's certainly possible if certain circumstances were met, such as those millions of people were actively attempting to kill me. I'd kill them without remorse then.

2. want to become a world dictator?

No way, too stressful a job.

3. enjoy the thought of revenge on someone who has seriously wronged them (like torturing them before death)?

Hells yeah.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2009 8:26:39 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I don't think I could do any of those things.

I would if necessary, but not for my own enjoyment.
I'd kill, I'd dominate, and I'd torture if I felt there was good reason to, but, I don't think I could do so without any remorse, and I'd prefer not to.

On torturing my greatest most horribly evil enemy for satisfaction, I'd opt out, for I think that manning up, keeping some small level of composure and just cleanly and coldly executing the pr*ck would give me more satisfaction in the end because he didn't completely dehumanize me.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 10:26:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/23/2009 11:30:38 AM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
Do normal people...
1. think that they could kill millions of people without feeling remorse?
2. want to become a world dictator?
3. enjoy the thought of revenge on someone who has seriously wronged them (like torturing them before death)?

At the moment, I would never do any of these things and I believe I'm a good person. Yet, I have these thoughts. #1 I think of and know its wrong, I would never commit it, but I still can tell I wouldn't feel bad IF I did commit it.

#2, well, that one I actually want to do. However, I'm not so naive to think I could do it in my lifetime. I just simply wish to set the wheels in motion for it to happen.

#3, I'm pretty pacifistic but I could imagine myself torturing and killing a person who, for instance, killed someone I loved. Of course, once again, I wouldn't actually do it.

I just want to know if its okay to think these things even though I'd never do them. I don't know. Just looking for an outside point of view.

Psych major here who just had an exam on PERSONALITY DISORDER earlier today. What a coincidence. Firstly, the correct term is antisocial personality disorder :) Secondly the defining trait of APD is a predatory attitude toward other people, which you don't seem to have.
Sylux
Posts: 290
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 8:02:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm a sociopathic, schitzophrenic, sadomasochistic, sadistic, narcissistic, and murderous interwebz haet machine.
Just kidding, I'm only the 5th one.
"Can you see? Do you know?
The string behind you, it's shiny and pretty.
Where is my string.
Give me because I don't know.
Give me your string.
Give me everything."
-grasshoppa
hbrogan57
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 8:11:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/23/2009 6:41:00 PM, Twistedgypsychild wrote:
At 10/23/2009 11:39:38 AM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
At 10/23/2009 11:35:55 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Obviously we're all going to have certain characteristics of a sociopath, narcissist, depressive, etc. It doesn't mean that we actually suffer from those ailments. I think it becomes a problem if these tendencies either start to affect your life (you act on them), or if they're tearing you up on the inside. Since that doesn't seem to be the case, I think you're fine. However, since you were recently talking about how your faith in Christ is stronger than ever, you may want to read up on some of what Jesus had to say about some of the things you've described o.O

Lol, that's my issue. I figure that as long as I know these are wrong and don't act on them, Jesus will forgive me.

If you think Jesus will forgive you, that means that you indeed have sociopathic symptoms...lol

But anyway.. It would depend on how frequently you think these thought...thoughts lead to actions and logically speaking..if you think about something long enough.. it will eventually happen.

Jamie

Pot calling the kettle black when it comes to being a sociopath. Isn't that right Jamie??.......
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 3:50:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/8/2009 10:26:43 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 10/23/2009 11:30:38 AM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
Do normal people...
1. think that they could kill millions of people without feeling remorse?
2. want to become a world dictator?
3. enjoy the thought of revenge on someone who has seriously wronged them (like torturing them before death)?

At the moment, I would never do any of these things and I believe I'm a good person. Yet, I have these thoughts. #1 I think of and know its wrong, I would never commit it, but I still can tell I wouldn't feel bad IF I did commit it.

#2, well, that one I actually want to do. However, I'm not so naive to think I could do it in my lifetime. I just simply wish to set the wheels in motion for it to happen.

#3, I'm pretty pacifistic but I could imagine myself torturing and killing a person who, for instance, killed someone I loved. Of course, once again, I wouldn't actually do it.

I just want to know if its okay to think these things even though I'd never do them. I don't know. Just looking for an outside point of view.



Psych major here who just had an exam on PERSONALITY DISORDER earlier today. What a coincidence. Firstly, the correct term is antisocial personality disorder :) Secondly the defining trait of APD is a predatory attitude toward other people, which you don't seem to have.

A propensity for vengeance, especially over the long term, is associated with psychopathy.

I like your style, though, and find you highly attractive. I'll see you at home in 10 minutes.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 5:10:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Holy sh1t, R_R hasn't posted in 6 months. He was the oldest active member of DDO after RoyLatham. But Roy doesn't count because he's old.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,730
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 8:52:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 5:10:30 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Holy sh1t, R_R hasn't posted in 6 months. He was the oldest active member of DDO after RoyLatham. But Roy doesn't count because he's old.

The oldest active members I know of at the moment are Ragnar, me, and Danielle in that order. if Ragnar doesn't decide to come back, he passes the torch to me.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 12:34:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/23/2015 8:52:03 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 2/23/2015 5:10:30 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Holy sh1t, R_R hasn't posted in 6 months. He was the oldest active member of DDO after RoyLatham. But Roy doesn't count because he's old.

The oldest active members I know of at the moment are Ragnar, me, and Danielle in that order. if Ragnar doesn't decide to come back, he passes the torch to me.

Yea but you're all oldies. R_R was in high school when he started DDO and now he graduated college and is off in the navy. There's something special about growing up on DDO. It's like how Boyhood wouldn't be the same if it was 12 years of a guy in his 20s or 30s.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 12:45:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/25/2015 12:34:23 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 2/23/2015 8:52:03 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 2/23/2015 5:10:30 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Holy sh1t, R_R hasn't posted in 6 months. He was the oldest active member of DDO after RoyLatham. But Roy doesn't count because he's old.

The oldest active members I know of at the moment are Ragnar, me, and Danielle in that order. if Ragnar doesn't decide to come back, he passes the torch to me.

Yea but you're all oldies. R_R was in high school when he started DDO and now he graduated college and is off in the navy. There's something special about growing up on DDO. It's like how Boyhood wouldn't be the same if it was 12 years of a guy in his 20s or 30s.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think that's what they're doing for the sequel.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,730
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 8:21:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/25/2015 12:34:23 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 2/23/2015 8:52:03 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 2/23/2015 5:10:30 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Holy sh1t, R_R hasn't posted in 6 months. He was the oldest active member of DDO after RoyLatham. But Roy doesn't count because he's old.

The oldest active members I know of at the moment are Ragnar, me, and Danielle in that order. if Ragnar doesn't decide to come back, he passes the torch to me.

Yea but you're all oldies. R_R was in high school when he started DDO and now he graduated college and is off in the navy. There's something special about growing up on DDO. It's like how Boyhood wouldn't be the same if it was 12 years of a guy in his 20s or 30s.

Danielle is about your age isn't she? But yeah I respect your point, I feel the same way about video games. Atari was out when I was in preschool, Nintendo in my elementary years, Genesis in Middle-school... You kids nowadays start out with everything already developed, you can't appreciate what it's like for videogames to get incredibly better every single year, nowadays videogames are pretty static and the hay-day is obviously well in the past.

In my own defense however, I was a late-bloomer intellectually so I did sort of grow up in a sense on DDO. In my teens all I did was drink/drugs/party, I couldn't even tell you what the word "philosophy" meant until I was in my twenties. I didn't start college until 23 and I joined DDO just before I turned 27, and I had some dramatic changes in philosophy as I matured intellectually on here. I was originally a pretty typical liberal, and then I realized there was more to politics than liberal vs conservative so I branched out into socialism, then anarchism and beyond (I fell off the map and now I've come back like Gandalf the White).

Anyway, yeah there's definitely a difference between myself and the kids on here...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 1:48:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/25/2015 8:21:10 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 2/25/2015 12:34:23 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 2/23/2015 8:52:03 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 2/23/2015 5:10:30 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Holy sh1t, R_R hasn't posted in 6 months. He was the oldest active member of DDO after RoyLatham. But Roy doesn't count because he's old.

The oldest active members I know of at the moment are Ragnar, me, and Danielle in that order. if Ragnar doesn't decide to come back, he passes the torch to me.

Yea but you're all oldies. R_R was in high school when he started DDO and now he graduated college and is off in the navy. There's something special about growing up on DDO. It's like how Boyhood wouldn't be the same if it was 12 years of a guy in his 20s or 30s.

Danielle is about your age isn't she? But yeah I respect your point, I feel the same way about video games. Atari was out when I was in preschool, Nintendo in my elementary years, Genesis in Middle-school... You kids nowadays start out with everything already developed, you can't appreciate what it's like for videogames to get incredibly better every single year, nowadays videogames are pretty static and the hay-day is obviously well in the past.

In my own defense however, I was a late-bloomer intellectually so I did sort of grow up in a sense on DDO. In my teens all I did was drink/drugs/party, I couldn't even tell you what the word "philosophy" meant until I was in my twenties. I didn't start college until 23 and I joined DDO just before I turned 27, and I had some dramatic changes in philosophy as I matured intellectually on here. I was originally a pretty typical liberal, and then I realized there was more to politics than liberal vs conservative so I branched out into socialism, then anarchism and beyond (I fell off the map and now I've come back like Gandalf the White).

Anyway, yeah there's definitely a difference between myself and the kids on here...

I thought Danielle was a bit older? Damn 27 is coming close for me. I'm turning 25 soon.

I actually wished I started college when I was older to be honest. Older and paying my own way. I didn't really care too much about my classes, spiralled into depressions fairly easily, and didn't have very good time management skills. I wasn't really prepared for the job hunt after college and should have done more internships to pad my resume.
I wish I was exposed more to the real world before goint to college.

At least I have a job though and its somewhat related to the field I'm in but subprofessional work. But I think I can use in for future jobs.

Sometimes I wonder If I've grown up intellectually or not though. I like to think that I've changed throughout the years, but I'm not sure how much I've honestly had. Or how much changes I've made have actually been for the worse and not for the better. Life isn't an upward hill towards self-actualization. I've definitely increased my knowledge-load and have been exposed to more ideas. However even stating that one's knowledge load increases over time is a lie because humans are also susceptible to memory loss.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...