Total Posts:309|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Misogynist Snickers Ad

royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 12:14:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
https://www.youtube.com...

I saw this while I was in India. You guys won't understand the language, but I think you can get the gist of the ad without understanding the words.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 12:36:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 12:14:33 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

I saw this while I was in India. You guys won't understand the language, but I think you can get the gist of the ad without understanding the words.

Actually no, you can't. I've seen some of these state's side and the "gist" depends, crucially, on cultural knowledge. For example, Betty White and Ab Vigoda. In those senses, it was their age and fragility that was the source of humor, not gender.

So, in this ad, is the reference to the person simply acting like a woman, or is that woman some known celebrity who has annoying characteristics but just happens to be a woman?
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 12:48:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 12:36:49 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 1/8/2013 12:14:33 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

I saw this while I was in India. You guys won't understand the language, but I think you can get the gist of the ad without understanding the words.

Actually no, you can't. I've seen some of these state's side and the "gist" depends, crucially, on cultural knowledge. For example, Betty White and Ab Vigoda. In those senses, it was their age and fragility that was the source of humor, not gender.

So, in this ad, is the reference to the person simply acting like a woman, or is that woman some known celebrity who has annoying characteristics but just happens to be a woman?

They're both actresses, but as far as I am aware, they don't really have annoying characteristics.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 12:52:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
lmao That's rude. It's hard to get the full context without knowing who they are or what they're saying. All I really understand is that they shut her up with a Snickers bar. I don't know why she's dressed so fancy while the guys are casual and look like they're going to a sporting event, who she is to them or where they're going. It's hard to say.
yang.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 12:55:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Do YOU understand the language Royalpaladin?

If it is as you describe, doesn't even come close to balancing out all the equally or moreso misandrist ads.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 12:59:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 12:55:02 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Do YOU understand the language Royalpaladin?

Yes. I can translate it for you if you like.
If it is as you describe, doesn't even come close to balancing out all the equally or moreso misandrist ads.

Like what? I have never seen a single misandrist ad.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:28:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 1:11:21 PM, tulle wrote:
Can you explain why you think it's misogyny?

It's misogyny because it's portraying women in a very negative and stereotypical manner and contrasting that with cool demeanor and rational behavior on the part of males.
Franz_Reynard
Posts: 1,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:29:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 1:28:26 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/8/2013 1:24:39 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
I love the Indian version of a diva. That's pretty funny.

She's not a diva.

Then...?
Franz_Reynard
Posts: 1,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:34:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 1:28:46 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I love how all of the negative people in Snickers ads are female.

Snickers makes fun of everyone... in a pretty funny way.

Like speedwakers:

Bald people:

Silly people:

Snickers appeals to men. That's not necessarily misogyny. It's gender-specific marketing.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:36:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 1:28:14 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/8/2013 1:11:21 PM, tulle wrote:
Can you explain why you think it's misogyny?

It's misogyny because it's portraying women...
Factually false. Only one woman is portrayed.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:38:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:38:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 1:36:01 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 1/8/2013 1:28:14 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/8/2013 1:11:21 PM, tulle wrote:
Can you explain why you think it's misogyny?

It's misogyny because it's portraying women...
Factually false. Only one woman is portrayed.

You didn't even watch the entire ad. There are TWO women portrayed, and they're portrayed in EXACTLY the same way.
Franz_Reynard
Posts: 1,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:40:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
...on the other hand, I must commend your passion. I'm a fervent supporter of PETA, myself. :)
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:40:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The above ad is not evidence of misandry-- iff the ad that is the subject of the thread is not evidence of misogyny.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:40:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 1:38:00 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:


I don't see how that ad is even remotely misandrist. In fact, you've probably never even seen a misandrist ad on tv; I bet you just searched "misandrist ad" on Youtube.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:41:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 1:34:18 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
At 1/8/2013 1:28:46 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I love how all of the negative people in Snickers ads are female.

Snickers makes fun of everyone... in a pretty funny way.

Like speedwakers:

Bald people:

Silly people:

Snickers appeals to men. That's not necessarily misogyny. It's gender-specific marketing.

Gender specific marketing doesn't have to be misogynist.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:43:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 1:38:45 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/8/2013 1:36:01 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 1/8/2013 1:28:14 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/8/2013 1:11:21 PM, tulle wrote:
Can you explain why you think it's misogyny?

It's misogyny because it's portraying women...
Factually false. Only one woman is portrayed.

You didn't even watch the entire ad. There are TWO women portrayed, and they're portrayed in EXACTLY the same way.

Ah, shut it off after the jump.

But if you want to get technical, no women are portrayed, just dudes acting like one female stereotype, and completely transformed for dramatization. None of the four characters in the commercial are females in "canon," although two of the six actors are.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Franz_Reynard
Posts: 1,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:43:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 1:40:54 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/8/2013 1:38:00 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:


I don't see how that ad is even remotely misandrist. In fact, you've probably never even seen a misandrist ad on tv; I bet you just searched "misandrist ad" on Youtube.

You deny that it appeals to male stereotypes?

Hypocrisy.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:47:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 1:40:54 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/8/2013 1:38:00 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:


I don't see how that ad is even remotely misandrist. In fact, you've probably never even seen a misandrist ad on tv; I bet you just searched "misandrist ad" on Youtube.
I don't think I've ever watched tv for an hour without seeing an ad in which at least one male is portrayed as stereotypically stupid. But, I haven't watched much tv lately.

You don't see it? You've never heard of the stereotype of men stupidly not admitting a need for directions?

Maybe i need to rephrase in terms you might understand.

It's misandry because it's portraying the man in a very stupid and stereotypical manner and contrasting that with rational behavior on the part of the woman
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:47:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 1:28:46 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I love how all of the negative people in Snickers ads are female.

No, ALL people in a Snickers ad are negative. Gender has nothing to do with it. I still remember the Joe Pesci ad...it was hilarious too.

On the surface, though, per your OP, I can see the gender bias since there are two women, and both are portrayed in the same negative light. However, that alone is not in my mind enough to lead to your conclusion.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:49:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 1:28:14 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/8/2013 1:11:21 PM, tulle wrote:
Can you explain why you think it's misogyny?

It's misogyny because it's portraying women in a very negative and stereotypical manner and contrasting that with cool demeanor and rational behavior on the part of males.

I disagree here as well, because the entire point of EVERY snickers ad is that hunger makes someone act kind of quirky, whereas everyone else is not hungry.

Also, no evidence, but I would imagine that most people who buy Snickers on a regular basis are male, because females are more than likely much more conscious of the effects of empty calories on their weight.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:51:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 1:47:48 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 1/8/2013 1:28:46 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I love how all of the negative people in Snickers ads are female.

No, ALL people in a Snickers ad are negative. Gender has nothing to do with it. I still remember the Joe Pesci ad...it was hilarious too.

On the surface, though, per your OP, I can see the gender bias since there are two women, and both are portrayed in the same negative light. However, that alone is not in my mind enough to lead to your conclusion.

And one more point, I'm about to start a forum post about a potential Indian "Arab Spring" because of the death of the woman that got gangraped. I understand that gender bias is a huge problem there.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:53:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 1:28:46 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I love how all of the negative people in Snickers ads are female.

They aren't. Ab Vigoda, Joe Pesci. Misogyny is more than just portraying someone "negatively" that happens to be a woman.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 1:53:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/8/2013 1:47:13 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 1/8/2013 1:40:54 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/8/2013 1:38:00 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:


I don't see how that ad is even remotely misandrist. In fact, you've probably never even seen a misandrist ad on tv; I bet you just searched "misandrist ad" on Youtube.
I don't think I've ever watched tv for an hour without seeing an ad in which at least one male is portrayed as stereotypically stupid. But, I haven't watched much tv lately.

You don't see it? You've never heard of the stereotype of men stupidly not admitting a need for directions?

Maybe i need to rephrase in terms you might understand.

It's misandry because it's portraying the man in a very stupid and stereotypical manner and contrasting that with rational behavior on the part of the woman

I will side with RR on this one. Not that I mind too much.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?