Total Posts:50|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Brent Musburger (73) and Katherine Webb (23)

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 11:12:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.cnn.com...

So, there is uproar over 15 seconds worth of comments that sportscaster Brent Musburger directed at Katherine Webb, girlfriend of Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron.

Here are his comments, in full:

"...you see that lovely lady there? She does go to Auburn, I'll admit that, but she's also Miss Alabama, and that's A.J. McCarron's girlfriend. Wow, I'm telling ya, you quarterbacks, you get all the good-looking women. What a beautiful woman! Whoa! So if you're a youngster in Alabama, start getting the football out and throw it around the backyard with pops."

Here's the reaction:

And boom! Cue the controversy. People attacked Musburger as "creepy," for ogling her too much, for being a "dirty old man," for being sexist, inappropriate, and more. One publication even went so far as to claim that Musburger's comments are "evidence" of "a culture of domestic violence and sexual assault in football."

Webb herself came to Musburger's defense:

"I think the media has been really unfair to [Musburger] ... If he would've said something along the line that we were hot or sexy or made any derogatory statements like that, I think that would've been a little bit different, but the fact that he said that we were beautiful and gorgeous, I don't see why any woman wouldn't be flattered by that."

As did Webb's parents:

"...he was trying to be complimentary, and I think they need to give Brent a break."

So, the obvious question, were Musburger's comments appropriate?

A secondary question - Webb said that "hot or sexy" equates to "derogatory comments". Is this appropriate?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 3:56:15 AM
Goddamn, when even the people defending you from a tempest in a teapot would make a tempest if the teapot were slightly bigger, s***'s ****ing tempestous yo.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 7:21:28 AM
Yes. Of course it's offensive. And it doesn't make any difference at all that Webb said otherwise. Women always have to say otherwise. They're never allowed to take offense. That's why Julia Gillard is the greatest!! She made it possible for us all to start sentences with "I am offended by...". I am offended by Musburger's comments! I am offended that Webb had to come on and say she wasn't offended! I am offended by her parents! and I'm offended that you would drag it to our attention in these forums, Wrichcirw.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 7:23:12 AM
At 1/12/2013 3:56:15 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Goddamn, when even the people defending you from a tempest in a teapot would make a tempest if the teapot were slightly bigger, s***'s ****ing tempestous yo.

And I'm offended by this comment too. I'm offended that it doesn't make any sense, and I'm offended by the asterisks, which I'm sure represent swear words, and I'm ready to be offended by its misogyny, but none is apparent.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 10:55:04 AM
At 1/10/2013 11:12:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
http://www.cnn.com...

So, there is uproar over 15 seconds worth of comments that sportscaster Brent Musburger directed at Katherine Webb, girlfriend of Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron.

Here are his comments, in full:

"...you see that lovely lady there? She does go to Auburn, I'll admit that, but she's also Miss Alabama, and that's A.J. McCarron's girlfriend. Wow, I'm telling ya, you quarterbacks, you get all the good-looking women. What a beautiful woman! Whoa! So if you're a youngster in Alabama, start getting the football out and throw it around the backyard with pops."

Here's the reaction:

And boom! Cue the controversy. People attacked Musburger as "creepy," for ogling her too much, for being a "dirty old man," for being sexist, inappropriate, and more. One publication even went so far as to claim that Musburger's comments are "evidence" of "a culture of domestic violence and sexual assault in football."

Webb herself came to Musburger's defense:

"I think the media has been really unfair to [Musburger] ... If he would've said something along the line that we were hot or sexy or made any derogatory statements like that, I think that would've been a little bit different, but the fact that he said that we were beautiful and gorgeous, I don't see why any woman wouldn't be flattered by that."

As did Webb's parents:

"...he was trying to be complimentary, and I think they need to give Brent a break."

So, the obvious question, were Musburger's comments appropriate?

A secondary question - Webb said that "hot or sexy" equates to "derogatory comments". Is this appropriate?

He should start the next season (on a road game of course) pointing out all the butt ugly women. When people get mad at that, the next game, point out all the completely average and boring looking women. When they get mad at that, the next game start it of with "I will be ignoring all women."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 12:16:26 PM
For example, on this thread:

http://www.debate.org...

Famer said twice that she wasn't that offended when RationalMadman called her an "inferior bitch". So does that mean that none of the rest of us can be offended now? I mean if she's not insulted by it...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 12:21:20 PM
At 1/12/2013 12:16:26 PM, rross wrote:

Famer said twice that she wasn't that offended when RationalMadman called her an "inferior bitch". So does that mean that none of the rest of us can be offended now? I mean if she's not insulted by it...

I wasn't aware that calling a girl beautiful equaled calling her an inferior bitch.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 12:26:04 PM
At 1/12/2013 7:21:28 AM, rross wrote:
Yes. Of course it's offensive. And it doesn't make any difference at all that Webb said otherwise. Women always have to say otherwise. They're never allowed to take offense. That's why Julia Gillard is the greatest!! She made it possible for us all to start sentences with "I am offended by...". I am offended by Musburger's comments! I am offended that Webb had to come on and say she wasn't offended! I am offended by her parents! and I'm offended that you would drag it to our attention in these forums, Wrichcirw.

Wait, are you serious?
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 12:44:47 PM
He acknowledged a woman's beauty? HANG THAT S.O.B.!
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 1:01:43 PM
At 1/12/2013 12:26:04 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Wait, are you serious?

Depends on the reaction. Not yet.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 1:53:58 PM
I think he tried to be complimentary, but it sorta went on too long and came off as a bit creepy. Still, people are overreacting. It's not like he meant to be.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 3:04:35 PM
At 1/12/2013 1:01:43 PM, rross wrote:

Wait, are you serious?

Oh please, if you have a smidgen of integrity you decide whether you're joking before you say it.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 3:14:07 PM
Nothing wrong with him saying that.

"A secondary question - Webb said that "hot or sexy" equates to "derogatory comments". Is this appropriate?"
So calling someone beautiful is OK but calling them hot is not? Wtf?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 3:30:22 PM
At 1/12/2013 3:14:07 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

"A secondary question - Webb said that "hot or sexy" equates to "derogatory comments". Is this appropriate?"

"Hot" is associated with Paris Hilton (damn bitch ruined a perfectly good word), and any association with that thing is an insult to any woman.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 3:46:34 PM
At 1/12/2013 3:30:22 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

"Hot" is associated with Paris Hilton (damn bitch ruined a perfectly good word), and any association with that thing is an insult to any woman.

Does anybody really think the average female american wouldn't act a lot like paris hilton if they were given a 100 million in inheritances?
Open borders debate:
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 5:06:25 PM
At 1/12/2013 3:04:35 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Wait, are you serious?

Oh please, if you have a smidgen of integrity you decide whether you're joking before you say it.

Really? Integrity's all about knowing if you're joking or not before saying something? Nobody told me.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 9:19:40 PM
At 1/12/2013 5:06:25 PM, rross wrote:

Wait, are you serious?

Really? Integrity's all about knowing if you're joking or not before saying something? Nobody told me.

If you wait to see a reaction before declaring your joking status or lack thereof (to yourself no less) you have no integrity, for your statement does not reflect reality but rather your attempt to fake it for the eyes of an innocent.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 9:27:40 PM
At 1/12/2013 9:19:40 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Wait, are you serious?

If you wait to see a reaction before declaring your joking status or lack thereof (to yourself no less) you have no integrity, for your statement does not reflect reality but rather your attempt to fake it for the eyes of an innocent.

Oh. Are you the innocent?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 10:16:34 PM

rofl...
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 10:17:41 PM

Wait, are you serious?

She's obviously joking, but isn't sure how I'm going to take it. Chill bro, lol
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 10:18:53 PM
At 1/12/2013 3:46:34 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 1/12/2013 3:30:22 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Does anybody really think the average FEMALE OR MALE american wouldn't act a lot like paris hilton if they were given a 100 million in inheritances?

Corrected...:)
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2013 10:20:24 PM
At 1/12/2013 12:16:26 PM, rross wrote:

Dude I was offended by it, lol...
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 12:02:53 AM
At 1/12/2013 10:16:34 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

rofl...

LOL, I double-dog dare you to accept this debate:

http://debate.org...

I sincerely wish you luck in winning such a debate...I will be AMAZED if you win...:D
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 1:18:51 PM
At 1/12/2013 9:27:40 PM, rross wrote:

Wait, are you serious?

An innocent? Yes. The innocent? No, as you've seen my reaction and it's proven irrelevant to your reveal-or-lie criterion.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 1:19:54 PM
At 1/12/2013 10:17:41 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Wait, are you serious?

She's obviously joking, but isn't sure how I'm going to take it. Chill bro, lol
Given her statements in another thread, my bet would be against joking, it's hardly obvious.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 3:35:58 PM
At 1/13/2013 1:18:51 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 1/12/2013 9:27:40 PM, rross wrote:

Wait, are you serious?

An innocent? Yes. The innocent? No, as you've seen my reaction and it's proven irrelevant to your reveal-or-lie criterion.

Oh well. I was joking. But I was reserving the right to switch to serious if occasion required it. That's what I meant when I said "not yet". And the occasion has required it. As soon as wrichcirw can figure out how to put together a decent resolution I'm sure we'll be debating this. Quite seriously, despite his regrettably frivolous tone.

I really don't understand your point about having to know if you're joking or serious. What difference does it make? And anyway, why can't you do both at once?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 3:58:04 PM
At 1/13/2013 3:35:58 PM, rross wrote:
I really don't understand your point about having to know if you're joking or serious. What difference does it make? And anyway, why can't you do both at once?

If you seriously believe what you say, "Oh well I was joking" is a dishonest excuse.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 4:11:24 PM
At 1/13/2013 3:58:04 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

If you seriously believe what you say, "Oh well I was joking" is a dishonest excuse.

At what point have I made an excuse?
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 4:13:07 PM
At 1/13/2013 4:11:24 PM, rross wrote:
At 1/13/2013 3:58:04 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

At what point have I made an excuse?

I'm happy to defend anything I've said, joking or otherwise.